Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 5 - Discussion [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

LaVail wrote: »
    Thanks Seamus

Currently I spend around €80 per month with 02 but that's pre pay...I was waiting for this phone to come out so I could go bill pay with someone so maybe I should go for a high plan say €65 per month with vodafone or similar? My current phone is 5 years old and its a cheap nokia, also never been bill pay before so that's why I'm a bit confused.

Thanks for the reply.

Christ check out Three prepay. I went from O2 bill pay to Three prepay and I'm saving a packet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭LaVail

seamus wrote: »
    €80 per month pre-pay :eek:
    You're probably getting reamed. The networks love their pre-pay customers because they're the bread and butter, paying full whack for everything.

If you can get a call history for the last two months or so, work out how many texts, minutes etc you use on average and then you can go around all of the providers seeing who offers you the package which will best cover your typical monthly usage.

Yeah I know I'm getting roasted by them but decided to hold off until the new iphone to see whether I wanted to go under contract etc. I'm with 02 and they are very expensive as far as I can see and hardly ever give people like me a break with their pricing. My neighbour has the old iphone 3GS and he spends all day on the phone and it only costs him €45/month with vodafone.

I'm thinking maybe I'll go under the same contract for a year with them even if the phone costs a bit more than with an 18month contract.

Whatever I choose I'll probably be saving a lot more than I am now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭kenyard

even emobiles offer of unlimited everything for 35 euro a month.
    both o2 and vodafone are robbery...
    though its ironic talking about which mobile providers are robbery for the service provided in this thread...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I'm only spending 15 a month so I'm bent over a barrel no matter what option I go with, my options are as follows...

A: Pay stupid money up front
    B: Pay stupider money for the privilege of being stuck in a contract for 18 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭LaVail

Christ check out Three prepay. I went from O2 bill pay to Three prepay and I'm saving a packet

I used three in the past for mobile midband and had too much trouble with them, had to get comreg involved in the end because they were abusing me. Decided never again to purchase anything from them. Others have no issues with them though so I suppose it depends on what part of the country you live in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I presume no network in Ireland uses wideband audio?

mad muffin wrote: »
    I presume no network in Ireland uses wideband audio?

No network anywhere uses wideband audio AFAIK. I think Apple just invented it (and of course - will only be useful if you are talking to another iphone5!!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Im upgrading my 4s just for the 720p front facing camera wooooo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,059 ✭✭✭kirving

Seriously?

Doylers wrote: »
    Im upgrading my 4s just for the 720p front facing camera wooooo
    You're creaming over 720p facetime? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Are those sizes on the image above correct?? 4.9 inches isn't that much smaller than the S3's 5.38. Will this make it about the same size as the S2?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

You're creaming over 720p facetime? :D

Makes phone sex soooo much better :D

Am i allowed say sex in this forum?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

s_carnage wrote: »
    Are those sizes on the image above correct?? 4.9 inches isn't that much smaller than the S3's 5.38. Will this make it about the same size as the S2?
    It will still be a little smaller than the S2, 6-7mm in both height and width.

kceire wrote: »
    Makes phone sex soooo much better :D

Am i allowed say sex in this forum?
    4 inch willy?
    If not, get the Note 2.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

So do we know will there be a pre order for Ireland? Or will it just go on sale on the apple site on 28th with no pre order ?

Also what colours are people getting? The black looks like the one for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

L5 wrote: »
    So do we know will there be a pre order for Ireland? Or will it just go on sale on the apple site on 28th with no pre order ?

Love the look of the black, not gone on the white. but i wont even decide on the phone at all until i can hold one.

I will make a stab at this :

UK : Order 14th for delivery 21st
    IRL : Order 21st for delivery 28th

Im confused too.
    The GF is deffo getting white, no doubth about that she says, im torn between the two. Think the two toned black looks slick and cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I'd be surprised if the IRL Store had a pre-order facility. They didn't for the iPad 3 whereas the UK / USA did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,760 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

It looks like the Iphone will be on sale SIM-free from Apple for €679. At least that's what it costs on the Germany and French versions of the Apple store.

http://store.apple.com/de/browse/home/shop_iphone/family/iphone

Seems a saucy enough price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

It looks like the Iphone will be on sale SIM-free from Apple for €679. At least that's what it costs on the Germany and French versions of the Apple store.

Is that for 16gb??
    Serious jump on the 4s price when it was released. Makes the decision on whether to buy it a bit tougher :/
    I could justify it to myself if it was 32gb but not for 16.

• Advertisement

Is that for 16gb??
    Serious jump on the 4s price when it was released. Makes the decision on whether to buy it a bit tougher :/
    I could justify it to myself if it was 32gb but not for 16.

IIRC They were always a little more expensive than us in Germany and France.
    Also in the UK, the only handset that went up in price is the 16gb, the 32gb stayed the same at 599 stg.

I may be wrong though and will admit that as our VAT rate etc has jumped since the last launch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,183 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'm thinking I might just stick with what I have until next year, or maybe pick up a cheap 4S. I know the 5 will be faster, better camera and display etc, but I don't think there was anything to justify the price for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Seems about right considering that the Irish store is matching the prices on the iP4 and 4S.

Apple are on the verge of pricing themselves out of this game. The top-tier (i.e. 32GB) 3GS was €610 when it was launched (on O2 prepay). Now they're asking for €580 for the bottom-tier (16GB) 4S.

It seems like they're increasing prices because the phone is "new" without recognising that the minimum people expect is for the technology to get better and will be less willing to pay a premium on each new generation of the phone just because it's new.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I'm pretty happy with the iPhone 5 and had no problem upgrading from my iPhome 4 I bought on launch day. I got the highest memory capacity at the time, 32GB. So this time I was going for the 64GB. But if those prices are real I'll really be put off it. I was planning on paying €800 and selling the 4 to offset the price. But that extra €100 on the price is horrible imo. It's an upgrade, prices should stay the same. It's not like they are strapped for cash.

Big fan of Apple, but this has really annoyed me. Even if it isn't €900. It's going to be closer to that than it is to the current price.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Qwerty Dub

Bit off topic but looking for a bit of advice before I make a commitment. I am on the Ultimate Flex Max plan with 3 for €96 per month for unlimited calls, texts & data. I got my iPhone 4 32GB for free 2 years ago and given I am on such a plan I'd imagine I wouldn't have to fork out for the iPhone 5 either if I upgraded. But given my average usage (below) for the last 12 months can anyone recommend any alternatives for me? I can't afford to buy the iPhone 5 from Apple so will require it to be subsidized. I must add that I get 20% discount on the €96 each month, so it is €70 odd per month.

All help appreciated, ta.

3usage.png

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Umm Dades....you may want to read your quote from me again - you appear to be mixing me up with someone else :o
    You're right - sorry! Edited!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Hurricane Carter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Qwerty Dub wrote: »
    Bit off topic but looking for a bit of advice before I make a commitment. I am on the Ultimate Flex Max plan with 3 for €96 per month for unlimited calls, texts & data. I got my iPhone 4 32GB for free 2 years ago and given I am on such a plan I'd imagine I wouldn't have to fork out for the iPhone 5 either if I upgraded. But given my average usage (below) for the last 12 months can anyone recommend any alternatives for me? I can't afford to buy the iPhone 5 from Apple so will require it to be subsidized. I must add that I get 20% discount on the €96 each month, so it is €70 odd per month.

All help appreciated, ta.

3usage.png

get a voucher and get on the emobile unlimited deal for 34.50 a month

Cyrus wrote: »

Voucher ?!

• Advertisement

Cyrus wrote: »

+1
    My dad is on this.
    Only pity is they dont match Meteors roaming pricing :(
    Voucher ?!

If you know anybody that works for Meteor, eMobile or Eircom you get their price plans half price when they send you a voucher code. You get the phonse as if your signing into the full price plans etc but your bill is 50% off ;) Alternativey an Eircom account will get the same offer, even if its not in your name IIRC

I have the same with Meteor.
    400 min
    400 SMS
    2gb data
    Free met-met calls and texts for life
    €25 per month. Got an S3 on it last week as upgrade for 139.99 :D

We are on it since it started 3 years ago, my whole family are on either meteor or eMobile versions and 90% of my mates too :D

Advertisement