Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 5 - Discussion [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭say_who_now?

jimmynokia wrote: »

I'd imagine they'd want to cut the price of the 4s a bit more than €579 when if you're spending nearly €600 on a phone you'll go the extra €50 for the latest phone over one that's a year old already!

I know iphones hold their value incredibly but I still think asking €579 is optimistic at best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

L5 wrote: »
    I can't believe it's gonna cost me my iPhone 4 plus almost 400 euro to buy this direct from apple :(

I dont think the iphone 5 is worth the price, if the 4s was number 5 id be more impressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

Anybody know what the story would be buying one in the US? Would it still work back here? Which model is best to buy, considering I'll be traveling a lot in the next while between the US and Ireland?
    Do they all fall back to GSM (i.e. work in Ireland!)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

murpho999 wrote: »
    Do people think when you've got iTunes that you're stuck with it for life?

Not itunes as such but all the apps etc you've downloaded for the iphone...they're no good to you on android now are they? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Just installed iOS 6 there on my iPhone 4 and I definitely won't be upgrading to the 5. Not because ios 6 is bad, it's because it's very good that I don't need an upgrade anymore.

As long as there's no horrible issue with battery life because of this or anything, I'm set for another two years.

THERE. IS. FINALLY. A. DO. NOT. DISTURB. MODE.
    No more having to check if it's on silent every 5 minutes in my pocket to make sure it doesn't ring aloud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Darren 83 wrote: »
    I dont think the iphone 5 is worth the price, if the 4s was number 5 id be more impressed.

then be impressed, the 4s was actually the 5th phone apple brought out. the 5 is the 6th.

confused yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Hurricane Carter

Just installed iOS 6 there on my iPhone 4 and I definitely won't be upgrading to the 5. Not because ios 6 is bad, it's because it's very good that I don't need an upgrade anymore.

As long as there's no horrible issue with battery life because of this or anything, I'm set for another two years.

THERE. IS. FINALLY. A. DO. NOT. DISTURB. MODE.
    No more having to check if it's on silent every 5 minutes in my pocket to make sure it doesn't ring aloud.

Don't suppose you could share the ipsw file? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

ote=Blazer;80756195]
    Do people think when you've got iTunes that you're stuck with it for life?

Not itunes as such but all the apps etc you've downloaded for the iphone...they're no good to you on android now are they? :)[/Quote]

Yes but most are free on android.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

then be impressed, the 4s was actually the 5th phone apple brought out. the 5 is the 6th.

confused yet?

I meant if the 4s was branded as iphone 5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 Lorgach

Andriod is the best :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Lorgach wrote: »
    Andriod is the best :)

Do tell more. You are in the Apple forum after all

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

It's funny that the fact that this update didn't have an Android type Big Screen is an example of lack of innovation. The CPU is 100% faster - the first use of an ARM 15 afaik. Also the first integrated universal LTE with the Qualcomm chip. Its thinner and lighter. The screen is incell technology, the colour is better. Camera is better. The screen is bigger but who cares.

Hard to see what else cudda been done.

Lets imagine a different world, a world where Apple were first to giant screens in plastic containers, replacing the metallic design with cheap plastic. I think the Android hive mind would ridicule that as a gimmick.

Making stuff bigger is less challenging than making it smaller.

Hands on users are impressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭keith_d99

I'm still waiting for the update. Who knows when that will happen (it will come out for my phone but I'm not sure when).

And this is one of my reasons for not going Android

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

cheap plastic.

Why is it actually cheap plastic? Plastic wont shatter or crack on impact like the iphone.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

The CPU is 100% faster - the first use of an ARM 15 afaik. Also the first integrated universal LTE with the Qualcomm chip. Its thinner and lighter. The screen is incell technology, the colour is better. Camera is better. The screen is bigger but who cares.

Sounds like an android fan's argument for why android phones are better :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

And a lot of good LTE is here in Ireland :D

Even when it does come, Comreg are auctioning off the spectrum in 5MHZ channels, the rest of the world are using 20Mhz. LTE in Ireland is doomed before it even starts :pac:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80517650&postcount=14

Hard to see what else cudda been done.

NFC? All top end Androids and Blackberries have it, Windows are getting it in Windows 8. It's crazy that they didn't include it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭Elessar

If you actually watch the keynote it's quite impressive the things they've done with the 5. It goes into quite a bit of detail as to what exactly they did. And they did a lot. While making the phone smaller and lighter. Coupled with the main features of iOS6 and iCloud syncing, I've decided this will be my next phone. Goodbye Android it was good knowing you!

http://www.apple.com/apple-events/september-2012/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Its a bloody phone at the end of the day. In a smartphone I want one that does the following things:

Makes and receives calls
    sends and receives texts and photos
    has a good mp3 player that i can use all the time that syncs easily up with multiple devices without hassle
    has useful apps both for social media and fun
    creates and receives e-mails
    has a straight forward internet browser which syncs up easily with my other devices
    has a decent camera (not even that important to be honest as I rarely use it)
    looks and feels strong

anything other than that is a bonus.

The iPhone 5 is nothing overwhelming but if you want something more than a phone then buy a tablet or a laptop. The funny thing about it being thinner is most people are going to put it straight into a phone cover and defeat the whole purpose anyway.

All this which one is better is rubbish really. At the end of the day they all do basically the same thing. Anything else like look and extra toys in them etc…. is down to personal preference. The masses don't want over complicated device. Most are around the same price also.

The amount of people I know that tell me their android devices are better than my iPhone, the first thing I ask them is what they use it for and 9 times out of 10 they say just to use as a bog standard phone which defeats any reason for an argument over it.

The iPhone 4 is a great phone for most peoples needs. The iPhone 5 is a snazzy little upgrade but nothing amazing. If the price is right on the networks i'll be upgrading and if not i'm not bothered and i'm sure a lot are the same. The samsung 3 is a nice looking phone also but will not suit most iPhone users as it would be a lot of hassle to switch over so I don't understand all this trying to convince iPhone users they should switch because samsung or android is better and miles a head is pointless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    NFC? All top end Androids and Blackberries have it, Windows are getting it in Windows 8. It's crazy that they didn't include it.

and ask all those people who have NFC in their phone how many times a day they use it.

I have it on my xperia s. i got the smart tags and used them for a week.

If siri is apples "gimmick" then NFC is androids.

and ask all those people who have NFC in their phone how many times a day they use it.

They didnt fit it so NFC mobile payments wouldnt take off properly. Would be nice to be able to pay for goods with a phone. Hopefully Visa and Paypal still push ahead with mobile payments anyway. Maybe apple will bring out there own mobile payments system.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Media999 wrote: »
    They didnt fit it so NFC mobile payments wouldnt take off properly. Would be nice to be able to pay for goods with a phone. Hopefully Visa and Paypal still push ahead with mobile payments anyway. Maybe apple will bring out there own mobile payments system.

Apple will include NFC when they have to. Is it hardware or software?
    Could it lie dormant until Apple release it as an update?

As mentioned many times so far, 2 or 3 of my mates have it on their S3's and havent used it once. One mate has it on his bank card and hasnt used it either.

It is the future, but not quite right now. Sure we are only starting to see it roll out with Leap Cards and Dublinbike Cards.

PogMoThoin wrote: »

You're not doing it right. I have one beside the bed and one in the van I use daily. Ihave another on my laptop for hotspot. It's the payment side of things needs a push It needs iPhone users and developers onboard to get going, nasty of them not to include it, it's the next big tech thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Stanley Kubrick

What will it be like as a telephone? you know, for making phone calls?

Actually what is the 4s like for this and for writing texts?

The size of the screen seems about bang on, not too big or small. Are there recommended android phones with that size screen and similar specs? Cheers.

Its hardware. Not as simple as adding it later.

I really hope that mobile payments take off. USA first and then to the slow countries like ours. Apple have definitely thought about it and there must be something in the works.

Id say they are trying to setup there own payments system. iPay or some ****. Money comes straight off apple registered card and leaves Paypal and Visa out.

Theres no way in hell Apple havent thought about mobile payments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Its hardware. Not as simple as adding it later.

I really hope that mobile payments take off. USA first and then to the slow countries like ours. Apple have definitely thought about it and there must be something in the works.

Id say they are trying to setup there own payments system. iPay or some ****. Money comes straight off apple registered card and leaves Paypal and Visa out.

Theres no way in hell Apple havent thought about mobile payments.

I wonder are we near the stage where, say, the PayPal app on your iPhone can be scanned in a shop or restaurant and you pay that way?

naasrd wrote: »
    I wonder are we near the stage where, say, the PayPal app on your iPhone can be scanned in a shop or restaurant and you pay that way?

Not really.

The NFC chip is a super secure chip that if tampered with self destructs. Simply too high a security risk to use just software i would say.

Reports are now saying the iPhone 5 has an NFC chip but not a NFC payments chip. So people might be transferring files yet. Maybe they didnt promote it hard because Samsung have pushed NFC in the S3 and they didnt want to make it look like they where second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,533 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

NFC

Is that No one F...king Cares.

Honestly there's always something

Last year it was Notifications. Now we have it, no one talks about it and it's never used.

Year before was multitasking.

iPhone was so far behind with Multitasking.....Apple was being killed because it didn't have it.
    Then they brought it out and it was fine.

Now it's NFC. WTF.

So you have it on S3. Great. Enjoy it.

Now tell me what do you do with it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

NFC

Is that No one F...king Cares.

Honestly there's always something

Last year it was Notifications. Now we have it, no one talks about it and it's never used.

Year before was multitasking.

iPhone was so far behind with Multitasking.....Apple was being killed because it didn't have it.
    Then they brought it out and it was fine.

Now it's NFC. WTF.

So you have it on S3. Great. Enjoy it.

Now tell me what do you do with it?

so you're telling the poster to shut up, but to tell you more...you're a conflicted person murpho :P

Advertisement