Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 5 - Discussion [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST]

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

kceire wrote: »
    +1
    My dad is on this.
    Only pity is they dont match Meteors roaming pricing :(

If you know anybody that works for Meteor, eMobile or Eircom you get their price plans half price when they send you a voucher code. You get the phonse as if your signing into the full price plans etc but your bill is 50% off ;) Alternativey an Eircom account will get the same offer, even if its not in your name IIRC

I have the same with Meteor.
    400 min
    400 SMS
    2gb data
    Free met-met calls and texts for life
    €25 per month. Got an S3 on it last week as upgrade for 139.99 :D

We are on it since it started 3 years ago, my whole family are on either meteor or eMobile versions and 90% of my mates too :D
    "I have the same with Meteor."
    are you on meteor or emobile?
    I have looked at emobile.. selected that I am an eircom customer for the 400min plan its €39.64 p/m & phone is €289
    I can't see any plan for 25 a month that gives 400mins.. I see you say you need a code. can the code only be used once?

just bought the s3 off meteor today.. 250 for the phone, 30 p/m for 200 mins plan and the contract is 12 months..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

murpho999 wrote: »
    NFC

Is that No one F...king Cares.

Honestly there's always something

Last year it was Notifications. Now we have it, no one talks about it and it's never used.

Year before was multitasking.

iPhone was so far behind with Multitasking.....Apple was being killed because it didn't have it.
    Then they brought it out and it was fine.

Now it's NFC. WTF.

So you have it on S3. Great. Enjoy it.

Now tell me what do you do with it?

I actually use both multitasking and notification centre regularly. Daily actually. Both great features. I'm kind of on the fence with NFC. I would of liked it added to the iPhone. I didn't expect it in the announcement because the rumour sites got everything else right so no NFC was something I expected. But at the same time I wouldn't have used it much. Those tile stickers are a good idea. But other than that it's useless. I can see it being added to a future iPhone upgrade once the technology has matured and has actual real world uses.

It's not a deal breaker for me. Still think they've nailed it with this phone. Comparing it with any of the high end Android's or Windows phones it's still going to perform brilliantly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭Gary The Gamer

NFC

Is that No one F...king Cares.

Honestly there's always something

Last year it was Notifications. Now we have it, no one talks about it and it's never used.

iPhone was so far behind with Multitasking.....Apple was being killed because it didn't have it.

Now it's NFC. WTF.

Why would you dislike having more technology on your phone? I have an s2, let me see what I do with it.

I have a torrent client. I download the odd show in bed and watch them there directly. Sometimes I might download a new album that I read a review of and listen away in work. I use a cleaner version of android that I can optimise to my exact preferences.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Why would you dislike having more technology on your phone? I have an s2, let me see what I do with it.

I have a torrent client. I download the odd show in bed and watch them there directly. Sometimes I might download a new album that I read a review of and listen away in work. I use a cleaner version of android that I can optimise to my exact preferences.

its possible to download torrents on android?!?
    why haven't I known this!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

Lenny wrote: »
    its possible to download torrents on android?!?
    why haven't I known this!!

Probably because you browse the apple forums.

Strange the way no one really uses it as a reason for Android being better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 hazelanalyst

I'm sorry this is probably a stupid question but I've never got an iPhone at launch before but would like to this time.

How easy will it be to get on the first day if I had queued up? And for example say I didn't get it on the first day, when would stores generally have more stock? I think no matter when I want it, I'll probably need to take a day off work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Now it's NFC. WTF.

The multitasking on Apple is still miles behind the real multitasking in Android. I had a mate compare it on his 4s and its terrible, it just shows you an icon to open the other app.

Nfc is early days, but it's pretty handy. I have one beside the bed that mutes all volumes, turns off vibrate and displays night alarm clock, I've another in car that turns on car dock mode, turns on Bluetooth and then starts playing music from where I left off. I have a hotspot nfc sticker on my laptop, if I'm out and about I just touch it once to turn I hotspot on, the laptop connects, touch it again and the phone disables it. Pretty neat, technology us what you make of it. Apple haven't included it because they want to bastardise it to their own controlled version

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Lenny wrote: »
    kceire wrote: »
    +1
    My dad is on this.
    Only pity is they dont match Meteors roaming pricing :(

If you know anybody that works for Meteor, eMobile or Eircom you get their price plans half price when they send you a voucher code. You get the phonse as if your signing into the full price plans etc but your bill is 50% off ;) Alternativey an Eircom account will get the same offer, even if its not in your name IIRC

I have the same with Meteor.
    400 min
    400 SMS
    2gb data
    Free met-met calls and texts for life
    €25 per month. Got an S3 on it last week as upgrade for 139.99 :D

We are on it since it started 3 years ago, my whole family are on either meteor or eMobile versions and 90% of my mates too :D
    "I have the same with Meteor."
    are you on meteor or emobile?
    I have looked at emobile.. selected that I am an eircom customer for the 400min plan its €39.64 p/m & phone is €289
    I can't see any plan for 25 a month that gives 400mins.. I see you say you need a code. can the code only be used once?

just bought the s3 off meteor today.. 250 for the phone, 30 p/m for 200 mins plan and the contract is 12 months..

I am with meteor
    25e per month
    400 mins
    400 sms
    2gb data
    Free met-met calls Android texts

Got two S3' last week 139 each. GF is also on the same plan. Sold them staight away though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,533 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Mactard wrote: »
    so you're telling the poster to shut up, but to tell you more...you're a conflicted person murpho :P

Wasn't telling any poster to shut up at all.
    Just referring to the amount of posts about NFC.

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    The multitasking on Apple is still miles behind the real multitasking in Android. I had a mate compare it on his 4s and its terrible, it just shows you an icon to open the other app.

Nfc is early days, but it's pretty handy. I have one beside the bed that mutes all volumes, turns off vibrate and displays night alarm clock, I've another in car that turns on car dock mode, turns on Bluetooth and then starts playing music from where I left off. I have a hotspot nfc sticker on my laptop, if I'm out and about I just touch it once to turn I hotspot on, the laptop connects, touch it again and the phone disables it. Pretty neat, technology us what you make of it. Apple haven't included it because they want to bastardise it to their own controlled version

I'm not saying that I don't want NFC but just making the point every year you get people demanding things for the iPhone as Android has it.

I'm sure NFC will be great but I don't think there's enough take up on it yet to make it a must have.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭str|ct9

Just downloaded iOS 6, and this is where dublin zoo is on their new maps...

zooj.png

Turns out (courtesy of street view) that its actually Zoo Hair Salon :rolleyes:

not instilling a lot of confidence in it...

• Advertisement

I'm sure NFC will be great but I don't think there's enough take up on it yet to make it a must have.

Thats because its not in the iPhone.

Pointless companies investing in NFC payments if all the major players arent involved and people dont have access to use it.

Phones first then machines in shops.
    Not the other way around.

str|ct9 wrote: »

zooj.png

That is actually shocking. Imagine all American tourists showing up and wondering what the hell is going on. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Qwerty Dub

str|ct9 wrote: »

zooj.png

I thought it would just be the Beta version where I found mistakes but the GM version is poor too. Zero faith in Apple Maps to get me somewhere. The Turn-by-Turn Nav is brutal too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭say_who_now?

Just while we're on about feature requests that people have asked for and so on, I seem to remember one of the big ones being facetime over 3G. They mention something about it being network dependent now in an endgadget review of iOS 6, but I'm just wondering- Video calling has been around for what seems like a decade now and there's been very little use of it, from what I've seen anyway, so do users here use facetime or video calling much?

I don't have an iphone myself, I have an N8, I plan on staying out of any ecospheres as long as I can, but tbh I have to say while I do admire certain aspects of all three ecospheres (Android, Apple, Microsoft), it seems to be apple have the most polished and clean, professional looking interface. This counts for a lot for those that don't care what's under the hood and have no interest in the tech specs.

I used have an awful time with Apple products that wouldn't play nice with Windows, but Apple iOS has come on quite literally in leaps and bounds since. So I think if I was pushed to upgrade at the moment and had a choice between the S3, Lumia 920 and the iPhone 5, I'd have to go with the iPhone 5.

Android is a tinkerer's toy (Cyanogenmod makes it an even better toy!), WP just looks, and feels clunky, I'm not a fan of the tiles nor the magnified fonts, nor the garish colors, so for me, iOS seems to be the balance between the two- functional and somewhat stylish at the same time.

I think I now understand why their marketing team say something along the lines of "if you don't have an iphone, you don't have an iphone!", because Apple have control over both the hardware AND the software, whereas Android and WP are written for multiple devices and manufacturers that have their own little quirks and foibles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I think I now understand why their marketing team say something along the lines of "if you don't have an iphone, you don't have an iphone!", because Apple have control over both the hardware AND the software, whereas Android and WP are written for multiple devices and manufacturers that have their own little quirks and foibles.

Well that is why Android has Nexus devices and Microsoft controls the hardware specs that manufacturers can use for Phone 7 to eliminate those issues.

The marketing is exactly that marketing, you wouldn't believe it if a politician said it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

Cienciano wrote: »
    Funny video, Jimmy Kimmel goes out on the street with the new iphone 5 and asks users what they think:

It was funny the first time it was posted on this forum. Not the fifth/sixth or whatever number it is now .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

L5 wrote: »
    It was funny the first time it was posted on this forum. Not the fifth/sixth or whatever number it is now .

Its about once every page really now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭say_who_now?

thebman wrote: »
    Well that is why Android has Nexus devices and Microsoft controls the hardware specs that manufacturers can use for Phone 7 to eliminate those issues.

The marketing is exactly that marketing, you wouldn't believe it if a politician said it.

Well I knew that much bman, but I was simply trying to give my opinion from an impartial perspective, trying not to favor one over the other as such, speaking from the point of of someone that just wants something that's simple and stylish and usable, not giving much regard to the technology underneath or how it integrates with their other devices.

Around these forums posters are more technically minded and technology oriented, are more interested in features that your average consumer will never use. Marketing to the majority is everything, Apple are masters at it because they understand capitalist mass marketing as opposed to the mindset of the android "community", (although Samsung seem to have copped this with the release of the S3, advertising the usability of the phone as a whole and what it can do for you, as opposed to just the features of the phone that would interest only the Android community).

Windows Phones don't even seem to be at the races yet, and like Android (as far as ICS came, it didn't yet come far enough) and both OS' seem to still be very "immature" imo. WP8 might go some way towards correcting this, but they'll need a hell of a lot more than just pushing high end Nokia devices to see further market share than some "bleeding edge" early adopters.

iOS again offers a far better and more future proof upgrade path than either Android or Microsoft for those looking for a decent ROI over the lifetime of the device, especially when they ask consumers to pay over €500 for a mobile device in the current economic climate, most consumers don't just want funky tech specs, but they want to be assured that their investment is somewhat future proofed and that if something DOES go wrong, having paid a premium price for the device- they expect premium level support.

I think Apple marketing is beginning to rub off on this long time Windows user, lol (Jesus 25 years!), and I can tell you now, I won't be investing in Windows 8 on the desktop either when it's released! I'd still have no use for a mac environment either, so I won't be looking at them any time soon, but for a mobile device, Apple who I've loathed for decades as the bane of my existence (I'm a self-employed freelance IT Consultant), might just have me looking harder at them for my next mobile purchase!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭kenyard

im amused at all the comments abuot not including NFC...

its gonna be their gmimick for the iphone 6, so why include it now. everyone who wants the iphone now will get it now.

nfc will be rolled in for 1 years time and they will include it then. simple as. then everyone has to get the new iphone once again..
    typical apple.
    why make their 100bn now, when they can make 100bn now anyway and include nfc next year and make another 100bn
    200bn >100bn. simple math
    well done apple.

as stated there is little to no use for NFC just yet, so people will buy the phone now as it has no use. what if theres a major rollout in 6 months... will people jump ship or wait is my question...
    either way it will be another year before we see it starting, and then people will just upgrade, and see it as a necessity to do so, costing them another phone and apple are happy.

i say well done to them.

Seems Apple got a little ahead of itself, it's well known that Samsung own thousands of LTE patents and have said they'll sue if Apple include LTE in the iPhone5. Looks like it's going ahead
    http://phandroid.com/2012/09/12/samsung-htc-said-to-be-going-through-with-plans-to-sue-apple-for-lte/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Multitasking on iOS is designed to not allow runaway processes overtake the system. The basic internals are fully pre-emptive. Like OS X.

And you have no idea what they are doing with nfc, if anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Seems Apple got a little ahead of itself, it's well known that Samsung own thousands of LTE patents and have said they'll sue if Apple include LTE in the iPhone5. Looks like it's going ahead
    http://phandroid.com/2012/09/12/samsung-htc-said-to-be-going-through-with-plans-to-sue-apple-for-lte/

The technology is from Qualcomm. Presumably any patents are covered under Frand.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭tigershould

i never knew nfc could do all this? i thought it was only for payment systems.

so you just have a sticker beside your bed and when go to bed because your phone (what is it?) has nfc it autodetect and mutes? that pretty cool. i can see loads of uses with this kind of tech.

The technology is from Qualcomm. Presumably any patents are covered under Frand.

Lte is a pool of patents, about 50 companies own patents relating to Lte. Get your popcorn ready, Lte patents are the next battleground

i never knew nfc could do all this? i thought it was only for payment systems.

so you just have a sticker beside your bed and when go to bed because your phone (what is it?) has nfc it autodetect and mutes? that pretty cool. i can see loads of uses with this kind of tech.

Yes, they're little stickers you can program to store information. You can program them to do many things. They can store weblinks, maps and business cards, the marketing possibilities are endless. Think of interactive flyers or product lables.
    Have them turn on wifi and connect devices to wifi, they can contain your wifi password. This would be very handy in somewhere like a pub, where you ask the barman if you can connect to the public wifi, they insist you buy a drink and instead of giving you the password they present you with a sticker you touch your phone off to get the password and connect.
    http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-57478334-285/the-most-practical-creative-ways-to-use-nfc-with-your-android-device/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Looks like the UK pre-order system is for delivery only. No option to collect in store :(

Same prices as the 4S was, except for the 16gb version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

I wonder will the android forum be this pissed off when Samsung bring out Malibu Staceys new hat, the galaxy s4 next year.

I wonder will the android forum be this pissed off when Samsung bring out Malibu Staceys new hat, the galaxy s4 next year.

Round about the time Apple release the iPhone 5s with NFC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Round about the time Apple release the iPhone 5s with NFC

That's my point, the tech has plateaued. Everyone will be doing incremental updates, but it's just cooler to hate on apple.

• Advertisement

That's my point, the tech has plateaued. Everyone will be doing incremental updates, but it's just cooler to hate on apple.

Plateaued? Technology is ever evolving, we should be encouraging innovation, not trying to control or kill it.

Advertisement