Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 5 - Discussion [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,055 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

The square root of €324888.6001 ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

onlinepaul wrote: »
    how much will it cost

Same as they as they always do, about €600. They never up their prices. Look at the iPad for proof. 3 versions, all around €480:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Direct link to rumour site:
    http://9to5mac.com/2012/05/29/photos-black-and-white-next-generation-metal-iphone-backs-mini-dock-taller-screen-moved-earphone-jack-present/

I'm not entirely convinced, though a lot of the changes seem plausible. Minor cosmetic changes such as moving the front camera to the middle wouldn't be ridiculous.

Though a steel back, reminiscent of the original iPhone? It could, as the article points out, be a way of saving space by having a thinner case which is just as strong but which also improves signal and range.

The smaller port at the bottom may be the long-awaited MicroUSB universal charger. And moving the earphone jack to the bottom would allow for a single clip-on adapter to connect the phone to older accesories for charging and playing music.

The thing which I'd be most skeptical about is the change in screen size. As has been pointed out numerous times, you can't really change the scale of the screen as this interferes with display and such.
    Though it's plausible that for portrait mode, the new phone might have an extra line of icons fitted in, and apps will show in their native resolution with black bars at the top and bottom.
    In landscape mode, the quoted resolution of 1136x640 is scarily close to to 16:9 widescreen format. So this would work for video and in many cases for games as well without causing compatibility issues.

So as I say, not entirely convinced but a lot more plausible than some of the more off-the-wall predictions we've seen in other years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

seamus wrote: »

Though it's plausible that for portrait mode, the new phone might have an extra line of icons fitted in, and apps will show in their native resolution with black bars at the top and bottom.

I read about that, most apps have the 'middle' area defined as a standard 'display box', so on this new screen it will automatically resize the middle section leaving the bottom and top sections alone. Depends on the design of app though, but i don't think it will take long to update apps with this minor change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I don't like that look of that at all...:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,325 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

If that's the new design Apple iPhone it's going to be a flop as it's just too big and industrial looking. The curves of the s3 will win all but the coldest of hearts. More suited to pre war Germany than in a hipsters pocket I think.
    It might not be far off the mark though as I had heard the charger is gone, you'll need all new accessories to go with it, as Steve would say "this changes everything again".

I hope they bring out more than 1 phone, The current iPod touch would make a super sweet and light phone if you could just stick a sim in it.

Anyone with a Mac will know how Apple sometimes get it all wrong. This could be one of those times.

If that's the new design Apple iPhone it's going to be a flop as it's just too big and industrial looking. The curves of the s3 will win all but the coldest of hearts. More suited to pre war Germany than in a hipsters pocket I think.
    It might not be far off the mark though as I had heard the charger is gone, you'll need all new accessories to go with it, as Steve would say "this changes everything again".

I hope they bring out more than 1 phone, The current iPod touch would make a super sweet and light phone if you could just stick a sim in it.

Anyone with a Mac will know how Apple sometimes get it all wrong. This could be one of those times.

I'm not mad on the design of the new iPhone but I doubt that it'll look like that. If they made it two tone but both parts glossy, I think it would work.

I'm one of the people who HATES the S3 design. I think it looks so roundly and ugly. For me, thinness is all it as going for it design wise.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I really don't fancy the idea of a taller iPhone. A taller screen, sure, but not if that involves making the phone itself longer, as MacRumours is currently suggesting. The benefits of a taller screen are questionable enough as it is. Short sightedness was the main reason being put forward for a larger screen last year. A taller screen won't help these people. Text will be the same size in portrait mode, there'll just be more of it.

And we've also got Tim Cook at D10 talking about what an advantage it is that the iPhone has only one screen-size and resolution. Would he say this if he was about to introduce fragmentation a few months later?

I don't think Android/Windows users rubbish the iPhone they just choose to not get an iPhone just like people choose not to buy a Toyota.
    iPhone users on the other hand seem to completely rubbish the competition, android is meh, iphone already does that, who needs a bigger screen, two cores are fine, bluetooth not much use, who needs flash anyway.
    1ZRed wrote: »

I'm one of the people who HATES the S3

tumblr_lxkhp2WSds1qfyxtn.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 951 ✭✭✭MiniNukinfuts

And we've also got Tim Cook at D10 talking about what an advantage it is that the iPhone has only one screen-size and resolution. Would he say this if he was about to introduce fragmentation a few months later?

I was thinking the same earlier, I can't imagine them doing it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Too big!?! It's maybe a cm taller and the design language is pretty close to the current model.

I put off buying the One X for the SGS3 reveal expecting great things and I'm still mystified as to how Samsung with all their engineering expertise managed to put out a devices as bland and generic as that. How can they excel in one area and be so consistently piss poor in another. They're actually regressing. There really should be a clean out in their phones industrial design dept.

Too big!?! It's maybe a cm taller and the design language is pretty close to the current model.

I put off buying the One X for the SGS3 reveal expecting great things and I'm still mystified as to how Samsung with all their engineering expertise managed to put out a devices as bland and generic as that. How can they excel in one area and be so consistently piss poor in another. They're actually regressing. There really should be a clean out in their phones industrial design dept.

If Apple brought out the S3 you would be praising their light weight and slim design and minimalist looks. I don't get it why you think it's so bad. Anyone i've met that's picked up the s3 hasn't even given the 4S a second look. The design that was pictured a few posts looks bland and industrial. I do not see anything appealing about it and I don't think the general public would either. It looks a lot heavier than the one x and s3.
    Apple really have a lot to prove this time, if they stick with the one phone strategy their in trouble on the mobile front especially if that's what it's going to look like. Girls will not like it and most guys will think it's too big and heavy for their pockets.

If this is correct,

here we have the iphone5 front over a iphone 4.

iphone_5_front_panel_macotakara_1.jpg

and here we have an s3

Root-Samsung-Galaxy-S3-360x460.png

You can't call one ugly over the other.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I think the long look is not going to happen. It'd just be weird looking and all a bit to lacking in imagination.

I'm 21 months with the same phone now and I want something good.

And I want a freakin' FM radio too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,941 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 951 ✭✭✭MiniNukinfuts

*childish laughs*

I hope they don't increase the size, it mean's i'll have to stretch my thumbs further :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,941 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Dades wrote: »
    And I want a freakin' FM radio too.

a recent report from 9to5mac have seem to point to wifi chip that includes fm radio (whether apple will turn it on).

http://9to5mac.com/2012/06/02/new-iphone-to-debut-with-dual-band-40nm-bcm4334-broadcom-wifi-significant-power-savings-and-wifi-directios-airdrop/

this will be great if this chip is in the new iphone, 40-50% reduced power for wifi, air drop support with Lion/Mountain Lion.

tbh i don't see the problem with a taller iphone, it makes perfect sense. information scrolls downwards more than sidewards. being a taller iphone brings in the 16:9 aspect ratio which is ideal for movies. and judging by the design documents it will lead to a 70mm taller device, that's absolutely nothing.

from the leaked parts if the headphone jack is on the bottom of the device as well it will be a welcome change for me, it makes more sense as when you take the device out of your pocket it's ready to read and in a more comfortable position as it the headphone jack is at the top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

a recent report from 9to5mac have seem to point to wifi chip that includes fm radio (whether apple will turn it on).

my bet is they wont, but would some clever jailbreak app dev be able to access this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

my bet is they wont, but would some clever jailbreak app dev be able to access this?

If apple turn it off it will most likely just be soldered off on the chip. A lot of manufacturers like Nvidia and ati with graphics cards, for the lower down model they either just remove the extra bit or solder it so it won't work.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,608 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

I have the 4 , and I guess the only 2 things I'd like :

Siri (just to play with it for 20 mins and go "meh")
    an FM tuner (I know , I know steaming etc).

Other than that its just improving whats there :
    Better camera
    faster proc.
    Larger screen

More storage would be nice too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭Elessar

I really hope it's a new, radically different design.

From the looks of those leaked front panels, it seems like exactly the same as the last two generations?? Needs something new IMO.

I'm on Android having moved from the iPhone 4 last year and if the iPhone 5 looks much better and is slightly bigger I'll switch back.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Was playing with an S3 yesterday, it may end up being lucky for apple that I can't afford it right now...but if money wasn't a barrier I'd trade my 4s for the s3 in a heartbeat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Elessar wrote: »
    I really hope it's a new, radically different design.

From the looks of those leaked front panels, it seems like exactly the same as the last two generations?? Needs something new IMO.

I'm on Android having moved from the iPhone 4 last year and if the iPhone 5 looks much better and is slightly bigger I'll switch back.

Why are people demanding a new design?

Why are people thinking that Android is hardware and not software?

Surely it's which phone that works best that is the most important?

Personally, I think the iPhone 4s still looks better than any 'android' phone out there including the S3, which just looks cheap to me.

murpho999 wrote: »

Surely it's which phone that works best that is the most important?

Bang on, that's why The HTC One X and the Galaxy S3 are the 2 best phones right now. They have the features people want, great screen, FM radio, flash, slick software and apps.

The 5 has way too much to live up to and needs to be a radical departure from the 4s design wise if it wants to stay current. I really think there in trouble this time as the market has galloped ahead of them. They caught the mobile industry off guard with the iPhone but they can`t possibly expect to stay ahead of them by launching just 1 new design every 2 years. Samsung are running away with their lead in smartphone sales and their share price is nearly rising at double the rate of apples. I fear for apple if we don't hear about the 5 this month and they wait until October to announce it as the S4 will be on the horizon or who knows even nokia or rim might have pulled a rabbit out of the hat by then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Bang on, that's why The HTC One X and the Galaxy S3 are the 2 best phones right now. They have the features people want, great screen, FM radio, flash, slick software and apps.

The 5 has way too much to live up to and needs to be a radical departure from the 4s design wise if it wants to stay current. I really think there in trouble this time as the market has galloped ahead of them. They caught the mobile industry off guard with the iPhone but they can`t possibly expect to stay ahead of them by launching just 1 new design every 2 years. Samsung are running away with their lead in smartphone sales and their share price is nearly rising at double the rate of apples. I fear for apple if we don't hear about the 5 this month and they wait until October to announce it as the S4 will be on the horizon or who knows even nokia or rim might have pulled a rabbit out of the hat by then.

The OS is a lot more than the arrangement of icon on a screen alhouthg apple could improve a bit there. It is the entire API set, which in Apple's case goes back to NEXT and even Unix, incorporates a lot of OS X, while Android is a quick and dirty port of mobile Java. Every release brings 1,000s or API, and more importantly, gets on most devices when it is released. Android fans seem to have moved on from the upgrades in the OS, which are sporadic to say the least, and carrier dependent, to bigger screen sizes.

There is nothing to fear for Apple, regardless, they are winning back share in the US as it stands, and the iPhone 5 will be the real winner for them, as people are waiting for some design change.

My feeling is that the bigger screens are becoming a bit of a joke, like Tail Fins in the fifties cars. They kept getting bigger until they were ridiculous. Similarly with screens, sometime in the next few months, screens bigger than 4.5 will just seem naff. In many ways, it is all that Android manufacturers have to distinguish themselves. The conversation goes.

1) What can we do to distinguish from the other guys
    2) I dunno? A bigger screen? What are they inches.
    1) Yeah?
    2) Lets do inches, a bit smaller than our tablet!!
    1) Yes!

Extrapolating from now, in 100 years the typical Android phone will not fit in your living room.

EDIT: And absolutely nobody cares about Flash, and a tiny tiny percentage of people care about an FM radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

EDIT: And absolutely nobody cares about Flash, and a tiny tiny percentage of people care about an FM radio.

I do, I wish I did not have to have it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

I'd love to have an FM Radio, Couldn't care less about flash, I've a Galaxy Nexus (Android 4.0) and it didn't come with flash installed. I left it that way

• Advertisement

Am I the only one getting bored of the iPhone? I want Apple to seriously up the hardware and design instead of modest spec boosts.
    Don't get me wrong I like my 4 but compared to android hardware, iPhone is packing some seriously boring hardware.
    What happened to innovating technologies like what the S3 has? I'm not mad on the design of it but at least it gets a new design annually.

If the 5 doesn't really do something amazing I might just jump ship. The only thing stopping me is I like iOS way more.
    I don't think apple should wait until October because slowly the galaxy S brand will keep creeping closer to the iPhone until it over takes it.

Advertisement