Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 5 - Discussion [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Im loving the way no phone companys here will have a nano sim next week, No point buying it early in UK, you might as well wait till the irish launch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Just while we're on about feature requests that people have asked for and so on, I seem to remember one of the big ones being facetime over 3G. They mention something about it being network dependent now in an endgadget review of iOS 6, but I'm just wondering- Video calling has been around for what seems like a decade now and there's been very little use of it, from what I've seen anyway, so do users here use facetime or video calling much?
    Thing is. although video calling over 3G has literally been around for years (think I first used it in 2005), it was always quite expensive and ridiculously poor quality.

I used it once or twice for the novelty and then never again. Facetime's hook was that it ran over more solid WiFi networks and used a better quality camera, so you got a better video calling experience. It's still a video call though, so I'd only use it the odd time for calling at Xmas or whatever, but I do know a large number of people who use it a couple of times a week to contact friends and family overseas in the same way that Skype would be used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,056 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Surely one of the first questions on the bosses lips at Apple must be, what have the iPhone team been up to for the last year. Where is the innovation? What have they done only make the screen longer? There is very little different from the iPhone 4s apart from procedural upgrades, and even at that the specs were practically public knowledge so where is the secrecy that usually surrounds the releases. My opinion is that Apple dropped the ball on so many things with this release, and it was totally against what usually happens.

I've had iPhones for years and I recently went on a short hiatus to Android with the SGSII while I waited for the release of the iPhone but to be honest I don't think I'll be going back now. Sure I miss the slickness and consistency of iOS but I also love not having to use iTunes for every little update etc. For me its a pity because I was hoping that the iPhone5 was going to be more of a rival for the SGS3 rather than an extension of the 4S which in itself was just a rehash of the iP4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Quazzie wrote: »
    Surely one of the first questions on the bosses lips at Apple must be, what have the iPhone team been up to for the last year. Where is the innovation? What have they done only make the screen longer? There is very little different from the iPhone 4s apart from procedural upgrades, and even at that the specs were practically public knowledge so where is the secrecy that usually surrounds the releases. My opinion is that Apple dropped the ball on so many things with this release, and it was totally against what usually happens.

I've had iPhones for years and I recently went on a short hiatus to Android with the SGSII while I waited for the release of the iPhone but to be honest I don't think I'll be going back now. Sure I miss the slickness and consistency of iOS but I also love not having to use iTunes for every little update etc. For me its a pity because I was hoping that the iPhone5 was going to be more of a rival for the SGS3 rather than an extension of the 4S which in itself was just a rehash of the iP4.
    I havent used iTunes once with iOS5 and onwards. iCloud makes things incredibly easy for me.

Also, for me, the ball did not drop with this phone for me. The thing most people dont realise about the 5 is that it was redesigned. It had to be to make use of the larger space that large screen allowed. But Apple went out of their way to make something that looked as similar as the previous generation. With their phone's design it makes it easy to differentiate from their competition. Its a familiar phone, just better. And while every phone is bar shaped these days, the iPhone can be pointed out instantaneously, imo.

Also, I guarantee, if the 5 wasnt leaked, it wouldn't have such a mixed public reaction. Apple really need to sort it out with the leaks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,533 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

WTF is a 'procedural' update?

Also, please tell me what it's missing.

Since ioS 5 you don't need iTunes for updates. Can all be done over the air. Quiet easy too.

I have asked several times what SG3 has over iPhone and no one has convinced me yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

For me its a pity because I was hoping that the iPhone5 was going to be more of a rival for the SGS3 rather than an extension of the 4S which in itself was just a rehash of the iP4.

i have an S3, im confused at what people think ill be missing out on by switching to the Iphone 5.

i can understand last years ambivalence to the 4s, but not this years, what exactly did people want?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

miralize wrote: »
    I havent used iTunes once with iOS5 and onwards. iCloud makes things incredibly easy for me.

Also, for me, the ball did not drop with this phone for me. The thing most people dont realise about the 5 is that it was redesigned. It had to be to make use of the larger space that large screen allowed. But Apple went out of their way to make something that looked as similar as the previous generation. With their phone's design it makes it easy to differentiate from their competition. Its a familiar phone, just better. And while every phone is bar shaped these days, the iPhone can be pointed out instantaneously, imo.

Also, I guarantee, if the 5 wasnt leaked, it wouldn't have such a mixed public reaction. Apple really need to sort it out with the leaks.

Yeah, they have a problem though. They can't announce months in advance as sales will take a hit, they can't really police all their suppliers, and they have to ramp up production. They will only be able to surprise us with totally new products.

Every single component was redesigned as far as I can see.

New casing.
    New Screen.
    New incell technology and colour saturation
    New radio/ phone chip
    Updated wifi
    Updated conector
    New CPU and GPU
    New battery
    He said something about the antenna.
    New camera

Gps chip is the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's a fake
    Not so sure now since both the prototype and the real 5 has headphone holes at the bottom.
    If it's fake it's very very close. Or maybe it's a goophone i5

murpho999 wrote: »
    WTF is a 'procedural' update?
    Keeping up with the rest rather than stepping ahead like they used to.
    Also, please tell me what it's missing.
    The ability to so what I want with the phone without having to ask Apple's permission first. I detest how locked down they are in all aspects. I bought the phone so I should be allowed do what I want with it.

• Advertisement

The ability to so what I want with the phone without having to ask Apple's permission first. I detest how locked down they are in all aspects. I bought the phone so I should be allowed do what I want with it.

I doubt you have an iPhone.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭tigershould

its a solid upgrade imo.

1. redesigned body (even if it looks similar to the i4) - i was hoping for a more radical redesign - but thats just aesthetics - the iphone is probably the best phone for design and build IMO.

2. good performance spec increases - i always want faster but hey there's a price to pay with performance vs power consumption.

3. bigger screen - i'll have to wait to see if the longer screen is enough of a boost for me but i do feel they could have gone to 4.3" - my guess is that 4.3" required a much greater design overhaul which they didnt have time for in this iteration (i'm sure there's a special design tam working on this project and it will come in the future - but i dont think it'll ever go to 4.5")

whats not to like ? its a design evolution not a revolution.

I doubt you have an iPhone.
    I had an iPhone3G, an iPhone 3GS, and an iPhone phone. In April my iP4 developed the screen problem where the upper top left starts to turn yellow, and I had to send it off to Apple for repair under warranty. Whilst it was away I bought a SGSII and used that. Apple replaced the phone as it was deemed unfixable*, and because I preferred the SGSII I gave the iP4 to my wife, who uses it now. She uses it as a standard phone(calls and texts), and for facebook. That's literally 99% of her use of the phone and its perfect for her. I went to use Safari about a month ago and it was still on the initial start up screen which means she doesn't even use the phone for that. This is the typical user where I think iPhone's are most suited. Me. I'd never go back to be honest.

*Apples customer care is the one part of owning an Apple product is actually worth the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

In fairness, the iPhone 5 is a slight improvement of the S3. And the S4 will be a slight improvement of the Iphone 5. And the iPhone 5s will be a slight improvement... etc etc.

I think the massive leaps in innovation that we used to have are going to be fairly rare now. It's just not in a companies best interests to keep trying to reinvent a phone each year or so. For the most part, smartphones will be fairly similar and it'll just be down to which OS preference you have.
    And on the other side of the coin, you have to spend ages trying to figure out how to do the things you want the phone to do. I'd usually tend to favour Android phones over Apple, but they can be a pain in the hole to sort out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭thomasj

I have asked several times what SG3 has over iPhone and no one has convinced me yet.

1. Better battery
    2. Replaceable battery
    3. The option to insert up a 64gb micro SD card. 600 euro (plus about 50-60 for micro SD card) vs 900 for a 64gb iPhone 5
    4. Personalisation - the ability to adjust a keyboard and adjust the keyboard to a size that suits you. The ability to design a home screen that suits you ( widgets not 40 or so folders. Heck even the font style and size can be adjusted to suit you.
    5. Little things like smart stay, popup video, FM radio with the ability to record, notification light

These are some of the advantages of the galaxy s3 (and other android phones that have some of the above features) you may not necessarily care about these features but other people may find them useful.

I read an editorial somewhere for a galaxy s3 that says that its touchwiz skin makes it as an android phone come closest to the iPhone as a phone that any Joe soap can use and with the new "basic user home screen mode" bring introduced as part of jelly bean it brings it closer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Hurricane Carter

humanji wrote: »
    In fairness, the iPhone 5 is a slight improvement of the S3. And the S4 will be a slight improvement of the Iphone 5. And the iPhone 5s will be a slight improvement... etc etc.

In what way is the iP5 an improvement on the S3?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

I Am Kong! wrote: »

if you want to split hairs, and even though we dont have the infrastructure, the iphone 5 that will be sold here will be LTE. The S3 sold here does not.

vice versa for NFC so maybe it cancels it out.

http://www.gadgetreview.com/2012/09/iphone-5-vs-samsung-galaxy-s-3.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,183 ✭✭✭✭Penn

And on the other side of the coin, you have to spend ages trying to figure out how to do the things you want the phone to do. I'd usually tend to favour Android phones over Apple, but they can be a pain in the hole to sort out.

This was my biggest problem when I had an Android. Sure, you can pretty much do whatever you want. However, with that comes a lot of complexity. I might download a weather widget. Fine. Then I discover my battery is draining. Need to download a battery app to see what's using the battery. It's the weather app. Go into weather app to find settings. Can't find settings. Oh, I need to press the settings button on the actual phone. Can't see anything there to help me. Press menu button on phone. Can't see anything there either. Okay, maybe I just need an 'App killer' app to stop it when I'm not using it. Doesn't work the way I want. Need to delete weather widget. Have to trawl through settings. Can't find it. Oh, that's because it's saved on the memory card and not the phone memory. Find it. Uninstall it.

This was just a typical problem I had. There's so much customisation options, that doing relatively simple things were more difficult. And when deciding whether to go back to iPhone or get a different Android phone, I just had to ask myself, "Do I need to be able to do whatever I want with it?" For a phone, I would much prefer simplicity over customisation. I would much rather a smartphone than a small computer.

Admittedly, I'm now considering trying the SGS3 as I want to upgrade from my iPhone4 but am just not convinced by the iPhone5 and don't think it justifies the price, but I don't think the ability to do whatever you want with the phone is that big a plus, because there are a lot of problems which can arise from that too.

Most of those are subjective so it's hard to say definitively.

• Advertisement

That states the SGS3 wins 7-5 against the iP5 which kind of disproves your point.

Penn wrote: »
    This was my biggest problem when I had an Android. Sure, you can pretty much do whatever you want. However, with that comes a lot of complexity. I might download a weather widget. Fine. Then I discover my battery is draining. Need to download a battery app to see what's using the battery. It's the weather app. Go into weather app to find settings. Can't find settings. Oh, I need to press the settings button on the actual phone. Can't see anything there to help me. Press menu button on phone. Can't see anything there either. Okay, maybe I just need an 'App killer' app to stop it when I'm not using it. Doesn't work the way I want. Need to delete weather widget. Have to trawl through settings. Can't find it. Oh, that's because it's saved on the memory card and not the phone memory. Find it. Uninstall it.

This was just a typical problem I had. There's so much customisation options, that doing relatively simple things were more difficult. And when deciding whether to go back to iPhone or get a different Android phone, I just had to ask myself, "Do I need to be able to do whatever I want with it?" For a phone, I would much prefer simplicity over customisation. I would much rather a smartphone than a small computer.

Admittedly, I'm now considering trying the SGS3 as I want to upgrade from my iPhone4 but am just not convinced by the iPhone5 and don't think it justifies the price, but I don't think the ability to do whatever you want with the phone is that big a plus, because there are a lot of problems which can arise from that too.

This is very true.

I just like iOS' simplicity too. Probably why I'm still a BB fan too! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Penn wrote: »

When did you use Android ? I'm guessing a while ago partly because alot of those things come as standard now. Its got alot more pleasant with time and needs less hacking (unless you want to hack that is)
    This is very true.

I just like iOS' simplicity too. Probably why I'm still a BB fan too! :o

The simplicity is exactly what I hate about iOS. I can just do more with Android - and I'm on an old Android

Most of those are subjective so it's hard to say definitively.
    That states the SGS3 wins 7-5 against the iP5 which kind of disproves your point.

You'll note that I said slight improvement. And in areas, it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭Elessar

So no option to reserve at the Belfast store?

Also Can a regular sim be cut to nano size?

Elessar wrote: »
    I get the feeling that there'll be a relatively small amount released straight away to keep demand up. It's what happens with most electronics these days. So a small country like Ireland may get fairly shafted with the shipments.
    I think they can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭jimmy the car

Elessar wrote: »

Wonder will there be a line of peole there or even in the Newry shop, hope to pick one up on Friday depending how lucky I am cause can't get in first thing....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

Wonder will there be a line of peole there or even in the Newry shop, hope to pick one up on Friday depending how lucky I am cause can't get in first thing....

There's an apple store in Newry?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭jimmy the car

L5 wrote: »
    There's an apple store in Newry?

Sorry my mistake, am thinking of O2 shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Cerocco

Sorry if this has been mentioned before but the outlet at the bottom of the new iPhone is much smaller so basically for me that makes my docking stations and car transmitter redundant if I get the new Iphone 5. Do you think there will be a connector type gadget that I can stick to the phone to make it compatable with the various accessories?

Advertisement