Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 5 - Discussion [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,183 ✭✭✭✭Penn

When did you use Android ? I'm guessing a while ago partly because alot of those things come as standard now. Its got alot more pleasant with time and needs less hacking (unless you want to hack that is)

The simplicity is exactly what I hate about iOS. I can just do more with Android - and I'm on an old Android

Last year. Had a Sony Xperia Arc for about 5 months. Had a lot of problems with the phone which I obviously can't attribute to all Android phones, but in terms of the OS, I still found it to be more of a hindrance than a help in a lot of cases.

Another thing which annoyed me was just general apps. Because more people can upload their own apps, it was harder to find the one you wanted. And not having a credit card meant I had to use 3V vouchers to buy stuff, whereas with iPhone I can get various vouchers. Plus, Android apps are generally designed to be used on all Android phones, which means screen sizes weren't always great and the layouts were hit and miss. Hard to know if there were settings in the app, or if I had to press the settings button on the actual phone to bring them up.

I don't want this to turn into an Android V Iphone conversation. My point was just that with the additional freedom and customisation Android phones give, there are also problems which can arise from that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭smtdos

Cerocco wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been mentioned before but the outlet at the bottom of the new iPhone is much smaller so basically for me that makes my docking stations and car transmitter redundant if I get the new Iphone 5. Do you think there will be a connector type gadget that I can stick to the phone to make it compatable with the various accessories?

Here

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭petiha

Cerocco wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been mentioned before but the outlet at the bottom of the new iPhone is much smaller so basically for me that makes my docking stations and car transmitter redundant if I get the new Iphone 5. Do you think there will be a connector type gadget that I can stick to the phone to make it compatable with the various accessories?

yep, Apple is already selling those "Lightning" adapters... which in my opinion is overpriced and bulky... :/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Apple UK seems to be sold out of the pre order stock. Quoting a 2 week dispatch time now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Quazzie wrote: »
    This is the typical user where I think iPhone's are most suited. Me. I'd never go back to be honest.

*Apples customer care is the one part of owning an Apple product is actually worth the price.

That's not true - iPhone users are major consumers of apps - the average is 100 per user as Tim Cook mentioned in his presentation. Android users tend to be feature phone users, as it is the default choice when you go into a carrier owned shop so its bought by the unconcerned. The sales people there try to get people off Apple. Or course there are "techies" too.

The customization is an issue for a small subset of people, I think Apple should open things up a bit there, of course its not like Jailbreaking is illegal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Just out of curiosity, here's UK tariffs you'll get the 16gb 5 for free on, on a 24 month contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

When the tariff info out for the mobile companies here?

I only see the homepage updated with iPhone 5 nothing about prices yet...

Actually, are we getting this on 21st September or will it be Oct?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Sept 28th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

Looks like the lightning adaptor comes free with the phone

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/digital-life/item/29222-is-apple-shipping-free/

keith123 wrote: »

How thoughtful of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Elessar wrote: »
    Also Can a regular sim be cut to nano size?

you'll need to bust out some sandpaper too, nano sims are thinner in depth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

How thoughtful of them.

youd rather that it wasnt :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Why Apple used the Lightening connector instead of Micro-USB http://brockerhoff.net/blog/2012/09/13/boom-2/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

People...People

STOP MOANING:mad:

Just don't buy the damn thing, at least that way I don't need to keep reading stupid moaning comments:mad:

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Cyrus wrote: »
    youd rather that it wasnt :confused:

Huh?
    Think they should've announced that from the start, not after lots of fans showed their disgust at their greedy ways.

People...People

Just don't buy the damn thing, at least that way I don't need to keep reading stupid moaning comments:mad:

Angry much?
    :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

People...People

Well stop reading the thread then! Good lord.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

They aren't including the free adapter it was just a mistake on the page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

If that is in fact true I'm surprised they didn't announce that during the keynote - a sort of "one for everybody in the audience" moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I'm pretty sure the adapter they're supplying is to connect lightning to micro usb, they are required to provide this in Europe.

The new adapter isn't much good when it states in the small print that it doesn't support video or ipod out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭vwgolfmk504

i was on the carphone warehouse page where they show the tariffs for all the british phone companies and 02 and vodafone only have 24month contracts for pre order?

surely ppl will be able to buy the iphone 5 on less than 24 month contracts over here? il take an 18 month but cant take up a 24 month contract

heres the link http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/mobiles/choose-tariff/APPLE_IPHONE5_16GB/MONTHLY/NEW?clearance=false&selectionMaxLimitTariff=3&viewDealForAll=false&cc=BLACK&mn=Apple%20iPhone%205%2016GB&isFirst=true&contractLength=&network=&offerFilterType=&offerFilterValue=#b

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Qwerty Dub

Just watched a video about NFC and the capabilities it gives using tags you can programme yourself i.e you can buy a tag, put it next to your bed and programme it to put the phone on silent etc when your going to bed or have one on your dashboard that will make your phone connect with your handsfree device and turn wifi off as you dont need it when driving. Impressive.

Kind of disappointed it aint on iPhone 5. Id have liked to mess around with that. Tags everywhere, ha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

I'm sure there'll be generic adapters springing up on ebay soon enough. While they'll be useful for converting old cables for use with the iPhone5, anything that an iphone docks with won't be able to dock with this adapter without being unstable :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

murpho999 wrote: »

I have asked several times what SG3 has over iPhone and no one has convinced me yet.
    Give someone a video from your phone over to theirs, or a photo for example. Can't be done. Bluetooth points with info are useless for iPhones. Also, try putting a video clip onto an iPhone... you have to update your library in iTunes and sync that way, but that's a pain in the ass, and at the moment I can't do it at all because my iTunes library resides on a hard disk that's no longer responsive.
    Simple to use? Sure... so long as you only ever want to do what they want.
    Also the settings menu kind of sucks, bit all over the place. Multi-tasking sucks too.
    But iOS is certainly a more polished OS than Android. It is simpler to use for basic "smart phone" use.
    Me? Android. But thanks to having 2 phones, I'll probably get the iPhone 5 too. It's nice, people are a little over critical of it on here I think, but it's no leap forward in design, just a little step.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    Give someone a video from your phone over to theirs, or a photo for example. Can't be done.

iMessage... or the bump app, or any of the other hundred apps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Qwerty Dub wrote: »
    Just watched a video about NFC and the capabilities it gives using tags you can programme yourself i.e you can buy a tag, put it next to your bed and programme it to put the phone on silent etc when your going to bed or have one on your dashboard that will make your phone connect with your handsfree device and turn wifi off as you dont need it when driving. Impressive.

Kind of disappointed it aint on iPhone 5. Id have liked to mess around with that. Tags everywhere, ha.

I have one beside the cooker, it sets a 3 minute timer for eggs when i touch my phone off it :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭kenyard

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    I have one beside the cooker, it sets a 3 minute timer for eggs when i touch my phone off it :p

you my good sir are rediculous. i have to try these things out.
    after your earlier post im gonna buy a 10 pack later.
    links to where (theyre around a tenner for 10 on ebay or amazon) is that the best value?
    also what u use to program them>? just apps on the phone?
    wondering does their capacity matter much also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,955 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Aodhagan wrote: »
    Most annoying voice ever... so not worth listening to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,955 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

smash wrote: »
    Most annoying voice ever... so not worth listening to.

Annoying voice but he makes a lot of sense.

Advertisement