Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 5 - Discussion [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Aodhagan wrote: »
    Annoying voice but he makes a lot of sense.

Why are you in this thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,955 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Why are you in this thread?

Do explain?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Annoying voice but he makes a lot of sense.
    No he doesn't, he's just abusing people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Do explain?

Im probably confusing you with the other posters coming here, determined to tell everyone how crap apple is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

smash wrote: »
    iMessage... or the bump app, or any of the other hundred apps.

Chirp! send photos from iphone to iphone using SOUND.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭say_who_now?

smash wrote: »
    Most annoying voice ever... so not worth listening to.

Link title alone has me thinking "opinionated àrsehole", so not even worth clicking!

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Qwerty Dub

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    I have one beside the cooker, it sets a 3 minute timer for eggs when i touch my phone off it :p

Niiiiiiice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

so how does this work from iphone to a non-iphone or from a non-iphone to an iphone. Oh right it doesn't.
    Chirp! send photos from iphone to iphone using SOUND.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

elderlemon wrote: »
    so how does this work from iphone to a non-iphone or from a non-iphone to an iphone. Oh right it doesn't.

coming soon to android, but you'd have known that if you watched the video there sparky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Hurricane Carter

When did you use Android ? I'm guessing a while ago partly because alot of those things come as standard now. Its got alot more pleasant with time and needs less hacking (unless you want to hack that is)

The simplicity is exactly what I hate about iOS. I can just do more with Android - and I'm on an old Android

I had previously used Android quite extensively - flashing ROMs etc, but just got bored and realised I didn't need to be doing any of that.

Each to their own. :)

Edit: For the record, I don't think the iPhone or iOS is superior to Android, quite the opposite, but it just works best for me. Same reason I sometimes like to use a BlackBerry.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

elderlemon wrote: »

theres a new invention on the horizon, seemly you can email photos or videos directly from the phone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

kceire wrote: »
    theres a new invention on the horizon, seemly you can email photos or videos directly from the phone?

Was thinking the same myself. If it needs to be uploaded to the cloud what's the point....:confused:
    I can see the use for apps like Bump, but this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭kenyard

wifi direct so. i sent a movie to a mate in a matter of minutes (1.2gb) wirelessly there a while back to test it out. serious speeds. around 30mb/s transfer rate..we did it, walked to the next pub and it was done.
    it says 300mb/s but im assuming thats on the same basis as internet advertisers saying 1mb/s broadband etc.
    another use for nfc.
    goodluck sending 1.2gb in an email or via any other methods mentioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

kenyard wrote: »
    wifi direct so. i sent a movie to a mate in a matter of minutes (1.2gb) wirelessly there a while back to test it out. serious speeds. around 30mb/s transfer rate..we did it, walked to the next pub and it was done.
    it says 300mb/s but im assuming thats on the same basis as internet advertisers saying 1mb/s broadband etc.
    another use for nfc.
    goodluck sending 1.2gb in an email or via any other methods mentioned

So other than video piracy, does it have a use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

It don't need to be that big, try sending 20MB of photos in an email

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Whatsapp works cross-platform. I send pictures to both iOS and Android users regularly with it.

well i had assumed apple have HD video at this stage, which, when encoding to mkv was taking up 2mb/s for me.

over a 10 minute clip you want to stick on youtube or share, thats 2Mbx60x10=~1.2Gb

point in case...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

well i had assumed apple have HD video at this stage, which, when encoding to mkv was taking up 2mb/s for me.

over a 10 minute clip you want to stick on youtube or share, thats 2Mbx60x10=~1.2Gb

point in case...

Use a better codec

...theres better than mkv? :P i know its a container rather than actual video codec, not sure..think the actual video encoding is avi or mp4.
    am sure something can be done alright considering most streams online that are 720p are ~0.5mb/s but any stuff iv encoded using an i5 to that size take a lot of time and work which im sure is just a battery drain, and with my expandable storage im not fussed about space...
    besides real files i hafnt seen a better size to quality codec. mkv is the shizzle.
    +you are speaking in an apple forum where probably only one format is allowed for video is it not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

...theres better than mkv? :P i know its a container rather than actual video codec, not sure..think the actual video encoding is avi or mp4.
    am sure something can be done alright considering most streams online that are 720p are ~0.5mb/s but any stuff iv encoded using an i5 to that size take a lot of time and work which im sure is just a battery drain, and with my expandable storage im not fussed about space...
    besides real files i hafnt seen a better size to quality codec. mkv is the shizzle.
    +you are speaking in an apple forum where probably only one format is allowed for video is it not?

H264 is the codec mostly used for HD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,028 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Was / am still away while the iPhone 5 was announced and can't help but feel a little underwhelmed.

The iPod Touch on the other hand got a serious upgrade with the same screen as iPhone plus Siri and HD camera.

Ah well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

While I am a little underwhelmed myself with the iPhone 5, I am not sure why!

I mean, what does it lack? What kind of wizardry were people expecting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭thomasj

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the adapter they're supplying is to connect lightning to micro usb, they are required to provide this in Europe.

The new adapter isn't much good when it states in the small print that it doesn't support video or ipod out

I read somewhere its not its the plug for the apple connector cable

• Registered Users Posts: 19 sabahm

14murphy wrote: »
    Where is the cheapest place to buy an as S3. Gonna be using both so I'd like to get the S3 first before I have the iPhone ?

Search it on ebay, so might get a good one from there in a cheap cost, if it finds your luck!

py2006 wrote: »
    While I am a little underwhelmed myself with the iPhone 5, I am not sure why!

I mean, what does it lack? What kind of wizardry were people expecting?

I think people were expecting something better than S3 in terms of smart features and size. But iPhone 5 comes up with no real changes which could be stated a major advancement. Its more or less like the old ones; just minor changes and advancement, and also way too expensive!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I'm not sure what exactly people are expecting out of their phones these days. There is only so much they can do and cannot ever really win. Give us a bigger screen...it's too big, more like a tablet is what'll be said! It's too heavy, we needed bigger battery for more power...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Well stop reading the thread then! Good lord.

Its supposed to be an Iphone 5 thread...

I stupidly made the assumption that there maybe some good info

How misinformed I was..to actually think that there would be some good info..

I guess this is the agony aunt thread....

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

I'm not sure what exactly people are expecting out of their phones these days. There is only so much they can do and cannot ever really win. Give us a bigger screen...it's too big, more like a tablet is what'll be said! It's too heavy, we needed bigger battery for more power...

I agree with you. Yes, nowadays people are expecting bigger and bigger - kind of mini tablets... Comparatively, it is smaller than S3!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

While having that lingering feeling of disappointment in the announcement I picked up the s3 in carphine warehouse today for the first time (I'm on the 4s). Holy crap that thing is enormous-I can barely grip it in one hand never mind actually do anything one handed with it! It actually looks like a mini tablet. I am definitely happy that apple didn't go that far. Having said that I'll probably just stick with my 4s for now anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Could someone please PM me a link to iOS 6 GM? :)

Advertisement