Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 5 - Discussion [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Apple are going to make a fortune outta loyalty. As an apple user I think the market is now a level playing field. They no longer have that outstanding product to separate them from the rest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

T-K-O wrote: »
    Apple are going to make a fortune outta loyalty. As an apple user I think the market is now a level playing field. They no longer have that outstanding product to separate them from the rest

You have to be kidding. Android is abs crap. I had to use one for a week in August because I left mine in London. The droid store is full of the crappiest apps and the iPhone is a dream in comparison.

Piliger wrote: »
    You have to be kidding. Android is abs crap. I had to use one for a week in August because I left mine in London. The droid store is full of the crappiest apps and the iPhone is a dream in comparison.

I've only used a few of them. I got the iphone before Moses and still use it today. Like any O/S you would get used to it.

The app store is something different altogether, apple has a huge selection and the variety is fantastic but how many apps do you really use.

I have countless apps on the phone but probably use 10 on a regular basis and I would imagine those 10 are cross platform

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭Jofspring

T-K-O wrote: »

I agree but I also don't think other products offer enough to convince a change either for people using iPhones for the last number of years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Piliger wrote: »

Android ****s all over ios 5/6 as an OS. The Android flagships also **** all over the iPhone 5 in specifications. Apple ****s all over Android in Aesthetics and Design. Your comment is simply retarded, what handset did you use incidentally, presuming you borrowed it temporarily it was prob a low end PoS from ages ago.

Phone OS Marketshare by country. Aside from the US Apple is staying static or losing ground in every major market, and being decimated in Europe. 2011 Marketshare in left Col, 2012 in right for each country.

osmarketsharebycountry.png

source: http://www.kantarworldpanel.com/Global/News/Android-maintains-its-European-domination

This does a good job explaining the US mentality.

• Advertisement

Jofspring wrote: »
    I agree but I also don't think other products offer enough to convince a change either for people using iPhones for the last number of years.

Oh I totally agree, that is what I meant by the level playing field.

Im not hating on the new iphone but as an ipod / ipad / iphone /imac user I dont really want the new iphone 5. Now that is a huge change, when the other devices came out I had to have one, not anymore..

Im sure Im not alone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Inquitus wrote: »
    Android ****s all over ios 5/6 as an OS. The Android flagships also **** all over the iPhone 5 in specifications. Apple ****s all over Android in Aesthetics and Design. Your comment is simply retarded, what handset did you use incidentally, presuming you borrowed it temporarily it was prob a low end PoS from ages ago.

A bit subjective that. I think OS is a choice. There is no real way to measure which is better. Both offer their own differences and some have better aspects than others. For example iOS is a lot simpler to use whereas Android can be customised a lot more than iOS. I think it comes down to personal choice.

Also in relation to specs Android phones don't wipe the floor either. They have moderate increases in places. iPhone processor wise is slower than the GS3 for example. (Rumoured 1.2GHz vs. the S3's 1.4GHz). The iPhone screen is better as it's more pixel dense at 326ppi vs the S3's 302ppi. Both have good and bad.

I think high end Android phone's and the latest iPhone are now on par specs and feature wise. Some better than other on both. Hopefully now both companies will start to innovate more and and compete on a larger scale. Which is win-win for consumers.

EDIT: Oh and that video.... really?

Exactly, the real fun should start from here on in - lets see what apple / android can produce going forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

mad muffin wrote: »
    Should be OTA.

minor updates are usually OTA. I'll be pleasantly surprised if iOS6 wont require a download through itunes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

In my college everyone uses Laptops. Ive never seen someone take out an iPad to take notes or whatever. I dont think the iPad is gonna revolutionise education like Apple claimed either.

I genuinely think Google are onto something better with there glasses. Google Glass.

Imagine being able to record and rewind a lecture etc. Or look at notes in one eye and the lecturer in the other. On the bus studying etc.

Thats the next big thing. Apple will be forced to copy them aswell. Its not like they can come up with something similar and say there not copying. i.e phones where around before the iphone but people werent really walking around with a monitor in their glasses[although they did exist]. Id have no bother wearing them. I think they will eventually be really small and stylish like sunglasses.

• Advertisement

Inquitus wrote: »
    Android ****s all over ios 5/6 as an OS. The Android flagships also **** all over the iPhone 5 in specifications. Apple ****s all over Android in Aesthetics and Design.

Goophone i5 for you so, best of both worlds! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Does anyone know if the ear phone jack has been moved on the iPhone 5, I remember reading a rumour before that Apple were planning to move th jack to the bottom and that that the new slimline charger jack was slimmed down to allow for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Stinicker wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the ear phone jack has been moved on the iPhone 5, I remember reading a rumour before that Apple were planning to move th jack to the bottom and that that the new slimline charger jack was slimmed down to allow for this.

Yep its now on the bottom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

DubDJ wrote: »
    The iPhone screen is better as it's more pixel dense at 326ppi vs the S3's 302ppi. Both have good and bad.

Eh, no. The iphone screen is 1,136 x 640, that's not even HD :eek: What kind of a fooked up resolution is that?

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Eh, no. The iphone screen is 1,136 x 640, that's not even HD :eek: What kind of a fooked up resolution is that?

The iPhone 5 is 1,136 x 640 @ 326ppi. The S3 is 1280 x 720 @306ppi. If the iPhone screen was stretched out to 4.8" like the S3 then yes it would be worse. But because it's smaller it's more pixel dense. More pixels = a better image. I didn't say it was HD either. I've never seen a screen as good as the one on the iPhone 4/4S. Bigger doesn't nessacarily mean better.

EDIT: I meant to say the S3's ppi was 306 the first time.

Why invent a crazy fooked up resolution, why not go with 720p HD as it's everywhere? All the other manufacturers aim for it as it's a common standard, why not Apple?

Why invent a crazy fooked up resolution, why not go with 720p HD as it's everywhere? All the other manufacturers aim for it as it's a common standard, why not Apple?

If you bothered to research why it actually makes a lot of sense. Keeping the same width gives less hassle to the app developers, and it still means that you are able to use the phone one handed. Just because a phone is classified as HD, and that the resolution is a standard, doesn't make it "good".

I think it goes all the way back to the original iPhone in 2007. Televisions have come a long way in that time the same as phones. So TV's were the old big backed non flatscreens with the 480p resolution. But the resolution of the old iPhone in 2007 was 320 x 480 when the 4 came out they doubled it to 640 x 960. And now with the 5 it's gone taller at 1,136 but kept the same 640 width. Apple didn't just decide to invent the iPhone 5 resolution. It's all about scaling apps for developers and Apple making it easy for them.

It's a big slip up by Apple, all other devices are shipping with true HD 1280x720, the S3, Galaxy Nexus, HTC one X, Nokia Lumia 920 and the new Blackberries are getting it. 1280x720 is everywhere on the internet, sites like Youtube/Vimeo/Netflix stream in 720p, it's the most common HD resolution. No wonder lots of people are posting about being underwhelmed. Apple are holding back, the next one will get it and they'll make a big deal of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭fugee

Love reading all the comments. I have a few thoughts I would like to throw into the mix. Might not even be for this forum and I might venture off a bit but sure my two cents anyway.

In college in 1999 I got a cool job selling phones on Eircell. Started with the Motorolla 088 that you could put AA batteries into.

Anyway I loved that job, but had to move on once I graduated from college;-)

From then I keep a casual eye on phones and I think some phones last long in the memory. With the new release of iphone 5 I don't think this will be one of them (however I think the 4s will but more on that later).

I got a htc desire hd when they came out and thought it was unbeatable but looking back there was actually quite a few bugs with it. When I say bugs, it is probably all down to the android platform. I loved the HD and put up with the sub standard apps etc.

Then I plumped for an iphone 4s in November 2011. My god, this blew me away. From android sporadic apps to absolute perfection on every IOS app it was brilliant. I think a lot of people get caught up in hardware specs such as this many cores, camera quality, only this much space etc, but I think it all comes down to software (kind of like sky vs upc ... only 1 winner). Android or IOS. For me (at the moment) IOS is streets ahead of Android. Maybe Android need to tighten their control over app developers and standardise it a bit.

Anyway, going back to earlier in my post about phones living long in the memory. I will give you my list. It is funny if I wrote this 12 months ago I think the SII would have been in it, but not so now. I was blown away by the SII when it came out but now....meh. And I'm not an apple head but I think the s3 does not offer much more so I left that out as well. So my question is, we are now 13 years into proper mass multiple mobile phone production. In another 13 what will be pick as being the best phones

Nokia 5110 All time classic
    Nokia 6310 What a battery
    Iphone4s - Not cause I have one and I know it looks same as iphone4 but the look/retina display and quality of apps will stand the test of time.

I'm sure I will annoy loads of heads and maybe on the wrong forum but hey I said I would throw it out there.

• Advertisement

Samsung come out swinging

original.jpg

Bear in mind, the US version of the S3 has LTE and 2gb of ram, not the Irish version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

It's a big slip up by Apple, all other devices are shipping with true HD 1280x720, the S3, Galaxy Nexus, HTC one X, Nokia Lumia 920 and the new Blackberries are getting it. 1280x720 is everywhere on the internet, sites like Youtube/Vimeo/Netflix stream in 720p, it's the most common HD resolution. No wonder lots of people are posting about being underwhelmed. Apple are holding back, the next one will get it and they'll make a big deal of it.
    You do realise that HD on such a small screen is irrelevant don't you? Pixel density isn't. Also, 720 isn't true HD, 1080 is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Hooray! Apple stores in Canada won't be selling the iPhone 5 unlocked on launch. That's me not getting one now as its impossible for me to get a credit card to order it online!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Johnmb wrote: »
    You do realise that HD on such a small screen is irrelevant don't you? Pixel density isn't. Also, 720 isn't true HD, 1080 is.

Just reading that the new nokia's have the highest pixel density of all current smartphones, wp8 look pretty cool too, I'm gonna hold off until I can play with the Nokia Lumia 920 (specifically because I like the built in wireless charging feature)

Johnmb wrote: »

Maybe I shouldn't have said True HD, that's an audio codec, what I meant was real HD. 1280x720 is a HD resolution, it may not be full HD but it is HD. 1136x640 is not HD. It makes a difference because any video will have to be downscaled from 1280x720 which is what's used everywhere today. It's what all the other manufacturers are aiming for regardless of screen size because all the content is in that resolution.

Maybe I shouldn't have said True HD, that's an audio codec, what I meant was real HD. 1280x720 is a HD resolution, it may not be full HD but it is HD. 1136x640 is not HD. It makes a difference because any video will have to be downscaled from 1280x720 which is what's used everywhere today. It's what all the other manufacturers are aiming for regardless of screen size because all the content is in that resolution.

Its still a 16:9 display.

miralize wrote: »
    Its still a 16:9 display.

Yeah, but it's a fooked up resolution nothing else uses

You keep saying its "fooked", but why? What makes it "fooked"? It still displays content, just as a 720p HD phone would.

miralize wrote: »
    You keep saying its "fooked", but why? What makes it "fooked"? It still displays content, just as a 720p HD phone would.

Because it's a completely new aspect ratio Apple just plucked from their heads

• Advertisement

Because it's a completely new aspect ratio Apple just plucked from their heads

A completely new aspect ratio Apple just plucked from their heads

hmmmmm....

Advertisement