Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 5 - Discussion [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Because it's a completely new aspect ratio Apple just plucked from their heads

Its a standard aspect ratio - 16:9 !!!!

And it wasnt "just plucked from their heads", the options were definitely assesed. They wanted a 4" screen with the same horizontal width that previous iphones had, in order to help developers make their apps work on the new display with minimal hassle.

If they were to put in a 1280x720 display into that fit, they'd have to make the display even more dense, something that hasn't been done yet and which would cost more, and just be a headache overall. This way everyone benefits...

Except you obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

1136x640 is a new unheard of resolution no other device supports

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

You clearly don't understand the point. Pixel density (dpi) is important. The number of pixels being high doesn't guarantee screen quality. Imagine a 1280 x 720 projector projecting onto a cinema screen. The pixels are massive and therefore everything looks crap.

If apple were to use 720p then they would need to increase the dpi. This is pointless as you can't even see the pixels with the screen as it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

We're talking about Apple here...

iOS is an OS that no other device supports.
    Lightening connector is a port that no other device supports.
    The previous generation 960x640 was an unheard of resolution that no other device supports.

Your point is what exactly?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Media999 wrote: »
    Thats the next big thing. Apple will be forced to copy them aswell. Its not like they can come up with something similar and say there not copying. i.e phones where around before the iphone but people werent really walking around with a monitor in their glasses[although they did exist]. Id have no bother wearing them. I think they will eventually be really small and stylish like sunglasses.
    I can think of nothing worse than a bunch of zombies walking around under cars while reading their glasses. Same with 3D movies. Not everyone is comfortable with wearing enormous USB charged glasses.
    Mactard wrote: »
    Just reading that the new nokia's have the highest pixel density of all current smartphones, wp8 look pretty cool too, I'm gonna hold off until I can play with the Nokia Lumia 920 (specifically because I like the built in wireless charging feature)
    I actually wouldn't mind checking out a top-spec W8 phone but they've just taken so freaking long to get their sh*t together I'm done waiting for MS.

• Advertisement

miralize wrote: »
    Your point is what exactly?

Every other manufacturer strives to get to a HD resolution to conform with the content already available everywhere, 1280x720. Everything I download is in this resolution. Apple hold back as they know they have the market and don't have to make the effort, people will buy it anyway. I'll bet any money the next iphone will be around 4.3", the market has already shown people want bigger phones. Only the Apple mob are in denial of this. There have been plenty of posts here by avid Apple users who've said they were completely underwhelmed with this release, remember it's 2 years since the last groundbreaking release from Apple, the 4S doesn't count as it was just a rehash.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Dades wrote: »
    I actually wouldn't mind checking out a top-spec W8 phone but they've just taken so freaking long to get their sh*t together I'm done waiting for MS.

Ya see, i'm not waiting for them, if they bring out something I like I'll check it out.

My main wants: Decent sized, great looking screen (4"-4.5") as I find the 4s too small for my hands.
    Web browser needs to be usable and intuitive.
    GPS and map support (think nokia's a slam dunk for this)
    Camera, simple to use, no messing about and quick. I love the 4s' image quality, doubt the 5 will be worse and have high hopes for the Lumia 920
    BATTERY LIFE, anything higher than the 4s is an improvement :pac:
    Build quality, I have absolute faith in both Nokia and Apple to deliver on this completely.

I've thought about it a little and there aren't any apps/features on the iphone that I use that aren't covered by similar apps/features on the Lumia/wp8 so if I do change there won't be too much of a shock.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Is there a big (in terms of expectation) W8 phone due shortly?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Dades wrote: »
    Is there a big (in terms of expectation) W8 phone due shortly?

Think I read October? fairly certain I won't see an ip5 before then anyway :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

DubDJ wrote: »
    More pixels = a better image. I didn't say it was HD either. I've never seen a screen as good as the one on the iPhone 4/4S. Bigger doesn't nessacarily mean better.

Firstly no it doesnt. Thats like saying a 12 megapixel camera is 100% of the time better than an 8 megapixel camera. Horse sh"t. Quality not quantity.

If you havent seen a better screen than the 4s you havent seen many screens. The S3 screen absolutely wipes the floor with the screen on the 4S. Pure and utter fanboyism to say the 4S is the best screen. The HTC one X screen is even better than the 4S.

Do you honestly believe the 4S has the best smartphone screen in the world up until the 5 came out?

• Advertisement

Every other manufacturer strives to get to a HD resolution to conform with the content already available everywhere, 1280x720. Everything I download is in this resolution. Apple hold back as they know they have the market and don't have to make the effort, people will buy it anyway. I'll bet any money the next iphone will be around 4.3", the market has already shown people want bigger phones. Only the Apple mob are in denial of this. There have been plenty of posts here by avid Apple users who've said they were completely underwhelmed with this release, remember it's 2 years since the last groundbreaking release from Apple, the 4S doesn't count as it was just a rehash.

Yep.

Apple began there descent back to earth with the introduction of Siri.

It was the first thing that didnt "just work". Who here actually uses it?

Apple are now playing catchup with the bigger phones and the smaller tablets.

Apple needs a new thing. proper AppleTV maybe. Knowing apple they will want about 3k for a 40 inch. Bit too expensive. Not saying there gonna dissappear anytime soon but other people arent as far behind them as they used to be. In a lot of cases there even in front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Firstly no it doesnt. Thats like saying a 12 megapixel camera is 100% of the time better than an 8 megapixel camera. Horse sh"t. Quality not quantity.

If you havent seen a better screen than the 4s you havent seen many screens. The S3 screen absolutely wipes the floor with the screen on the 4S. Pure and utter fanboyism to say the 4S is the best screen. The HTC one X screen is even better than the 4S.

Do you honestly believe the 4S has the best smartphone screen in the world up until the 5 came out?

Yes I honestly believe the 4S has a better screen (before the 5) than any other smartphone. It's not my opinion, it's fact. No phone can match the clarity of the 4S. It's branded 'Retina' because you can't distinguish individual pixels. It has a higher ppi than the S3 or the One X. I'm not claiming the 4S wipes the floor with either of those phones like you. They have impressive screens. Just not as good as it. To say that either of them wipe the floor with the screen on the 4S.... now that's blatant fanboyism.

Also the iPhone uses an IPS LCD screen. And the S3 uses the HD Super AMOLED
    PenTile display. I'm sure you know that the screen on the previous model, the S2 was a Super AMOLED Plus screen. Which is superior over the latest model. The Plus screen in the S2 was better than the PenTile screen in the S3. A step down in terms of screen clarity.

I'm stating facts here not giving an opinion. How about a few facts to back up your claims that it 'wipes the floor with the 4S'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Yes I honestly believe the 4S has a better screen (before the 5) than any other smartphone. It's not my opinion, it's fact. No phone can match the clarity of the 4S. It's branded 'Retina' because you can't distinguish individual pixels. It has a higher ppi than the S3 or the One X. I'm not claiming the 4S wipes the floor with either of those phones like you. They have impressive screens. Just not as good as it. To say that either of them wipe the floor with the screen on the 4S.... now that's blatant fanboyism.

PenTile display. I'm sure you know that the screen on the previous model, the S2 was a Super AMOLED Plus screen. Which is superior over the latest model. The Plus screen in the S2 was better than the PenTile screen in the S3. A step down in terms of screen clarity.

I'm stating facts here not giving an opinion. How about a few facts to back up your claims that it 'wipes the floor with the 4S'?

The iPhone screen is far better than any of the competition. And anyone who is dumb enough to buy a phone solely based on marginal difference is specs is deeply misguided, and that is being charitable..
    No amount of pixels or screen size or anything else in a droid or Msoft phone will drag them within an asses roar of the iOS. As an actual 'user' of a phone it is the OS that actually matters and both droid and Msoft OS's are sub standard.
    The iPhone is a mile out in front, hence the sales, the loyalty, the excitement, the customer satisfaction, the reliability, the global success. Bitter Apple hating quips vapourise as fast as they arrive. It always reminds me of the few guys who used to hang out in the corner at parties talking about their favourite band, who no one has ever heard of, and trash the best music solely because it's popular and better than the crap they listen to. It was comical then and it's comical now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Yep.

Apple began there descent back to earth with the introduction of Siri.

It was the first thing that didnt "just work". Who here actually uses it?

I use it, sometimes. my phone is my watch, so if im listening to music and walking along, i'll ask it the time without having to take it out of my pocket. Sometimes i use it for reminders as its quicker than typing them, and most recently i used it at a poker game to set timers to raise the blinds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭BanjoB

The fanboyism for both apple and android littered throughout this thread is cringeworthy to read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

BanjoB wrote: »
    The fanboyism for both apple and android littered throughout this thread is cringeworthy to read.

This.

You cant put your point across without replies such as apple / android is the best thing since sliced bread.

I have all apple products at home but I'm not getting the iphone 5, wasn't impressed with the last upgrade and even less so with the iphone 5.... so there I said it

BanjoB wrote: »

cringeworthy is exactly what I was about to say about one of the most recent posts, it gave me that "the Office" feel :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Mactard wrote: »
    cringeworthy is exactly what I was about to say about one of the most recent posts, it gave me that "the Office" feel :pac:

Hater :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

The S3 is a fantastic phone, but the screen isn't. It's still good but it's definitely lacking when compared to the iPhones or the amazing panel on the One X.

No its not fact. And no your not stating facts. I have both phones and beside each other the S3 is far better. The colours and clarity is far better

Your just a typical fanboy who falls for all the buzzwords. I dont just read bull**** pro Apple blogs like you, I actually have both.

Get over yourself. Cringeworthy indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

No its not fact. And no your not stating facts. I have both phones and beside each other the S3 is far better. The colours and clarity is far better

Your just a typical fanboy who falls for all the buzzwords. I dont just read bull**** pro Apple blogs like you, I actually have both.

Get over yourself. Cringeworthy indeed.

And if all that makes a good screen is PPI, Nexus has more than the iPhone 5. but the S3 has a better screen than the nexus. having used both they are quality screens but the S3 just seems slightly crisper and compared to an iphone 4s both are quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

Isn't this an iPhone 5 thread?

Whats with all the childish, 'my phone is better than your phone' stuff??

Back on topic...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

so still no prices from the carriers yet?

eoferrall wrote: »
    And if all that makes a good screen is PPI, Nexus has more than the iPhone 5. but the S3 has a better screen than the nexus. having used both they are quality screens but the S3 just seems slightly crisper and compared to an iphone 4s both are quality.

Jesus dont say something like that over here. :D

Youll be attacked with Apple bullet point marketing facts by people who never owned an S3 but still think they know more than people who actually own them :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

Not yet apparently.

I popped into O2 on Friday and they said they were not taking any pre-orders. It will be first come, first served.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Maybe I shouldn't have said True HD, that's an audio codec, what I meant was real HD. 1280x720 is a HD resolution, it may not be full HD but it is HD. 1136x640 is not HD. It makes a difference because any video will have to be downscaled from 1280x720 which is what's used everywhere today. It's what all the other manufacturers are aiming for regardless of screen size because all the content is in that resolution.

CRINGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

You're worse than the apple fanboys! Stop speaking out of your hole.

How would you describe 5120 x 2700 resolution? Is that super full HD? Or is that really high definition? Can nothing go over 1080p?

Is it still FULL HD if you're stretching a 1080p image over 100 inches?

You've completely bought into the marketing of the buzz word that is HD. Hang your head in shame fanboy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

py2006 wrote: »

Back on topic...

i'm just pointing out that it does not have the hihest PPI and therefore in his/her criteria it is not the best screen.

I have not held or used an iphone 5 yet so can't compare anything to it other than the facts of the spec.

py2006 wrote: »

Back on topic...

Lets all chat about the weather and whatnot will we so.

Obviously people are gonna compare the 5 to everything else. What else are they gonna do?

People arent saying "my phone" is better as most probably dont even own all of them.

There just replying to bullet point marketing bull**** with other bullet point marketing bull**** really.

You've completely bought into the marketing of the buzz word that is HD. Hang your head in shame fanboy!

Yes it's a marketing term that gets outdated. Don't get all pedantic.

Phones and tablets match what's currently available for video content which is based on todays common TV standards. Lets face it, lots of us watch more video content on phones and tablets than we do on TV. Youtube, Vimeo, Netflix etc all base their HD on 720p, it's a common standard. Anyhing higher than 1280x720 is commonly known as HD. 1080p is another marketing term commonly known as Full HD

• Advertisement

Slept on it, I'm edging more to the lumia 920 now...the all important hands on will determine everything. Yeay smartphones :D

Advertisement