Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 5 - Discussion [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

Mactard wrote: »
    Slept on it, I'm edging more to the lumia 920 now...the all important hands on will determine everything. Yeay smartphones :D

Same here. Thats the next phone ill be looking at anyway. Only phone id be anyway excited about now with the let down of the 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Media999 wrote: »
    No its not fact. And no your not stating facts. I have both phones and beside each other the S3 is far better. The colours and clarity is far better

Your just a typical fanboy who falls for all the buzzwords. I dont just read bull**** pro Apple blogs like you, I actually have both.

Get over yourself. Cringeworthy indeed.

Haha I'm not the one going around spouting out the usual fanboy nonsense. So the iPhone doesn't have a 1,136 x 640 screen at 326ppi? It isn't an IPS LCD? The screen also has in-cell technology. Whereas the S3 is a HD Super AMOLED PenTile screen @ 306 ppi. That's all fact, and your saying it's not? Look it up and do a bit of research.... I have and that's why every reply I've given examples instead of just calling you a fanboy each time.
    eoferrall wrote: »
    And if all that makes a good screen is PPI, Nexus has more than the iPhone 5. but the S3 has a better screen than the nexus. having used both they are quality screens but the S3 just seems slightly crisper and compared to an iphone 4s both are quality.

Again misinformed rubbish. The iPhone - 326ppi. The Galaxy Nexus - 316ppi. How does it have more than the iPhone? I also listed reasons other than ppi telling you why it's better. Again all fact, a quick Google will back them up.

Again my original point was there isn't a phone on the market now with a higher ppi count than the 4/4S. I've compared my 4 to my friends S3 and even he admitted it's better.

Slept on it, I'm edging more to the lumia 920 now...the all important hands on will determine everything. Yeay smartphones :D

Have to say the only phones to ever interest me other than the iPhone is the Nokia Lumias. I think design wise they are nice. And (unlike the majority) I actually like the look of the Windows Phone OS. If I decide to move from iOS in the future the Windows phone will definitely have my interest as my next.

Why are you just spouting out marketing junk constantly? Apparently im a fanboy when im the one who owns both and use both. Your the one who falls for all the marketing junk.

Can you find me a reputable review of someone saying the 4 screen is the best in the world please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

DubDJ wrote: »

Again my original point was there isn't a phone on the market now with a higher ppi count than the 4/4S.

Well that's just incorrect.

• Advertisement

Why are you just spouting out marketing junk constantly? Apparently im a fanboy when im the one who owns both and use both. Your the one who falls for all the marketing junk.

Can you find me a reputable review of someone saying the 4 screen is the best in the world please?

Screen resolutions and ppi are not marketing words. 'HD Super AMOLED' is but ive no other way of memtioning the screen other than its name. I'm not claiming a 4" screen is the best in the world. Just that 326ppi is the highest clarity screen out there on a phone. Not opinion as I've said so many times before. I've given up on trying to convince you your obviously not swayed by facts. You can live in your own world if you want. Where you think a bigger screen automatically means better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Never mentioned the size of the screen. All im going on is the fact im looking at them both right now and the S3 quite simply looks better.

I have no idea what PPI or any of that they both have apart from you mentioning it. I just know what im looking at in front of me right now.

Theres more detail and colour in the S3. Apparently your eye cant distinguish the difference at that PPI so how can one automatically be better than the other? If your eyes cant distinguish the difference then the only way to judge it is by colour maybe. I dont know. All i know is in front of me one looks better than the other. Dont care about the technical terms.

edit

And when i say 4 i mean iphone 4 not 4" screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

HTC rezound - 342ppi

LG Optimus LTE - 329ppi

LG LU1400 - 330ppi

Lumia 920 - 332ppi

Xperia s - 342ppi

there is lists of many more, its not the highest ppi screen out there.

But it does look good, retina and ppi and all that other marketing crap is what it is.

I have an iphone and the picture is quality but the specs say that there are better ppi phones out there

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    HTC rezound - 342ppi

LG Optimus LTE - 329ppi

LG LU1400 - 330ppi

Lumia 920 - 332ppi

Xperia s - 342ppi

there is lists of many more, its not the highest ppi screen out there.

LG Nitro HD even has a 4.5 inch screen and still has higher PPI than an iPhone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Have they said the 5 will have an improved battery life? My 4S seems to drains itself.

PogMoThoin wrote: »

I stand corrected. Didn't know about this. On a side note was telling my mate that this is the nicest Android phone on the market imho. Went with the S3 instead but this woulda been more ammunition for him choosing it.
    Never mentioned the size of the screen. All im going on is the fact im looking at them both right now and the S3 quite simply looks better.

I have no idea what PPI or any of that they both have apart from you mentioning it. I just know what im looking at in front of me right now.

Theres more detail and colour in the S3. Apparently your eye cant distinguish the difference at that PPI so how can one automatically be better than the other? If your eyes cant distinguish the difference then the only way to judge it is by colour maybe. I dont know. All i know is in front of me one looks better than the other. Dont care about the technical terms.

edit

And when i say 4 i mean iphone 4 not 4" screen.

I thought you meant 4".

See that's what I'm saying the human eye can't distinguish a lot of these things so you have to let the specs do the talking. I noticed a huge difference comparing the 3GS to the 4. Or iPad 2 - 3. Mainly when reading text. It's just so chrisp with the higher ppi density.

cloud493 wrote: »
    Have they said the 5 will have an improved battery life? My 4S seems to drains itself.

They say yes, by a margin really, about an extra hour by the specs so not really, still charging everyday or 2-3 times with heavey use.

Still be fine I reckon, my 4S lasts the day mind, never had it run out in the middle of the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

They say yes, by a margin really, about an extra hour by the specs so not really, still charging everyday or 2-3 times with heavey use.

In the stripped down pictures of the 5 the battery does look much much bigger than it does in the 4.

The new processor must be draining a serious amount of power

It has a moderate battery life increase. 225 standby hours over 200 on the 4S. But a lot of the internal compensate are said to be a lot more energy effienent. So you get longer browsing the web or on the phone as well.

In the stripped down pictures of the 5 the battery does look much much bigger than it does in the 4.

The new processor must be draining a serious amount of power

18% thinner though :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

18% thinner though :D

That's true I forgot about that!

Its always the battery that holds technology back. Id say they are spending literally billions between them researching better batteries over the years yet still its the same stuff with little difference.

If Anyone could make a battery that lasted 3 or 4 days in at least a dual core id buy the phone. As well as millions of others. Even if it sacrificed other spec.

I see theres a new womens bag that charges the Nokia wirelessly. Thats a cool idea. But fellas are stuck.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

And don't forget it still has to power a bigger screen too. I reckon there'll be no noticeable gain in battery life but there will be a good few threads asking why the battery life is so awful - just like there was with the 4s.

I see theres a new womens bag that charges the Nokia wirelessly. Thats a cool idea. But fellas are stuck.

But....what powers the bag :P

• Advertisement

Its always the battery that holds technology back. Id say they are spending literally billions between them researching better batteries over the years yet still its the same stuff with little difference.

If Anyone could make a battery that lasted 3 or 4 days in at least a dual core id buy the phone. As well as millions of others. Even if it sacrificed other spec.

Interesting, I'll be putting on the girlfriends clothes next weekend so :)

So you'd be plugging your handbag into charge :pac:

And don't forget it still has to power a bigger screen too. I reckon there'll be no noticeable gain in battery life but there will be a good few threads asking why the battery life is so awful - just like there was with the 4s.

But....what powers the bag :P

Apparently theyve discovered some kind of whinge converter that converts pure whinge matter into a 12volt current. :D

Other than that id say you still have to charge the bag. It would probably double your battery life. Id say its better than nothing but still needs work. Solar power would be nice somehow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

I bet all the tech journos can't wait until pricing is released so they can add on the 2 year line rental to the cost of the phone to inflate the price. Funny how they never seem to do it when one of the other brands costing roughly the same is released.

Not good considering the competition. Pair of headphones that come with the S3 paired with the S3 itself are pretty much the best quality from a portable device ive ever heard and im a music nut.

Then the HTC one X has the beats equaliser and headphones so id say they would be decent. Havent heard them though.

I was really looking forward to hearing the Earpods but looks like its not gonna be worth it. They should really just buy / team up with a company like Bose and come up with a product.

Dre makes 100mil a year off beats. Theres a market there for overpriced, average performing shiny headphones.

I woulda rathered the new iPhone stay the same thickness as before or even a littler bit bigger and them add a better battery in it. I get over a day in my two year old iPhone 4 but woulda rathered 2-3 days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭Gary The Gamer

DubDJ wrote: »
    I woulda rathered the new iPhone stay the same thickness as before or even a littler bit bigger and them add a better battery in it. I get over a day in my two year old iPhone 4 but woulda rathered 2-3 days.
    You can vary the thickness of your S2 and S3 by buying bigger battery packs for not much money if its a dealbreaker for you.

You can vary the thickness of your S2 and S3 by buying bigger battery packs for not much money if its a dealbreaker for you.

You would need a bigger back cover aswell presumably.

• Advertisement

Na it's iOS that keeps me using the iPhone. I think a lot of R&D needs to be put into the battery though. I remember talk about the screen doubling up as a solar panel. That would be a step forward towards a better battery life.

Advertisement