Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 5 - Discussion [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

In the stripped down pictures of the 5 the battery does look much much bigger than it does in the 4.

The new processor must be draining a serious amount of power

the new processor actually consumes less power, as does the wifi chip. the biggest culprit of battery draw in the new iphone will be the screen and the LTE chip
    Mactard wrote: »
    And don't forget it still has to power a bigger screen too. I reckon there'll be no noticeable gain in battery life but there will be a good few threads asking why the battery life is so awful - just like there was with the 4s.

But....what powers the bag :P

this is what phil schiller said. wireless charging isn't just there as a tech yet, something still has to be plugged into a power outlet somewhere. wireless charging isn't going to be a big deal until i can comfortably walk around my house with my phone charging in my pocket and it's getting it's power from thin air.

also I don't get what people's obsession is with complaining about charging their phones every day? i'm a heavy user i charge mine every day but it's either when i'm in work and the phone is on the desk, or it's when i'm asleep. it's very simple :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

this is what phil schiller said. wireless charging isn't just there as a tech yet,
    Philip W. Schiller is the senior vice president of worldwide marketing at Apple Inc

Of course hes gonna say that. :D

I like the idea of the top of my bedside cabinet being a charger that i cant really forget to plug in and just leave it on top. maybe something up on the mantle piece that when i leave a phone on it, it will sync up with amplifier and stream Audio / Video.

It will be a big selling point for the Nokia. It will have great potential for Innovating Accessories.

Just stumbled across something interesting with regard to NFC.

When i seen it wasnt included in the 5 i was convinced it was because they where bringing out something of their own. I still think they will.
    Schiller told All Things D that the decision not to include NFC actually stemmed from Passbook, which he said "does the kinds of things customer need today." The app, which organizes digital tickets, coupons and more, will roll out with iOS 6 on Sept. 19.

They will definitely launch something a bit more than an app. Apple like every other handset seller would love to control the mobile payments market. And thats a very big potential market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Media999 wrote: »
    Just stumbled across something interesting with regard to NFC.

When i seen it wasnt included in the 5 i was convinced it was because they where bringing out something of their own. I still think they will.

They will definitely launch something a bit more than an app. Apple like every other handset seller would love to control the mobile payments market. And thats a very big potential market.

Yeah I kind of think you are on to something here. There's no reason why you couldn't integrate a payment system into passbook. In fact in some ways it might be more secure - depends how you implement it. But yes I'm inclined to think Apple have something up their sleeves on this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

That wireless charging handbag thing is a terrible idea.
    It's cool tech, but defeats the purpose of making phones smaller if you have to carry around a heavy battery in your bag to charge it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Just downloaded IOS 6, seems most places inside the canals are rendered in 3D, including the trees and cars :) Pretty cool looking.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

It's cool tech, but defeats the purpose of making phones smaller if you have to carry around a heavy battery in your bag to charge it

I don't disagree, entirely, but then it's just an accessory provided by a 3rd party.

Heavy battery? Have you seen how light the battery in just about any smartphone is? S3 is about as heavy as a single AA battery. Literally. Id say if the iphone was removable it would be the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

After looking around at the iPhone 5, I'm seeing a lot of nice points about it.
    I like the thinness of it, brilliant build quality and the camera is probably one of the best for a phone. Not to mention the wireless technology is fantastic, albeit useless here for ages.

But I was texting and browsing the Internet last night and I just found the screen far too small, especially in width.
    I like the phone and I'm thinking of getting it if only to sell it again but it doesn't seem like anything new. This could just be a thinner, taller, slightly faster 4S to me.

Btw, where could I download iOS 6 for my iPad? I'd get it for my phone but that's just a 4 and wouldn't get all the features.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

1ZRed wrote: »
    I like the thinness of it, brilliant build quality and the camera is probably one of the best for a phone. Not to mention the wireless technology is fantastic, albeit useless here for ages.

But I was texting and browsing the Internet last night and I just found the screen far too small, especially in width.
    I like the phone and I'm thinking of getting it if only to sell it again but it doesn't seem like anything new. This could just be a thinner, taller, slightly faster 4S to me.

Btw, where could I download iOS 6 for my iPad? I'd get it for my phone but that's just a 4 and wouldn't get all the features.
    http://imzdl.tumblr.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Maybe wait till Wednesday? When it's officially released.

DubDJ wrote: »
    Maybe wait till Wednesday? When it's officially released.
    I'm not too pushed about the update anyway because it's nothing special, so if I can do it without much bother I'll try it out instead of waiting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

I don't think I'll be installing iOS 6 till I know google will be bringing out their own standalone maps app.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

I don't think I'll be installing iOS 6 till I know google will be bringing out their own standalone maps app.

Good point, i'll rely on the tomtom app for my maps which has always served me well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

They've already confirmed that they are building their own.

I'm not too pushed about the update anyway because it's nothing special, so if I can do it without much bother I'll try it out instead of waiting.

iMessage integration is a big on for me. Do Not Disturb will be handy. The overall refinements too. New stores, Notification Centre sync. All handy stuff I'll be looking forward to.

iMessage integration is a big on for me. Do Not Disturb will be handy. The overall refinements too. New stores, Notification Centre sync. All handy stuff I'll be looking forward to.
    You can reply by iMessage with your phone number off an iPad/iPod touch, isn't that the new deal with it? That is a handy addition alright if you have multiple iOS devices.

I was hoping for much improved stores and a bit of colour but anything is a welcomed improvement over what it was.

Honestly, their biggest features are useless here and even then, they're not exactly very exciting. Some nice additions but I could do without many of them and still not miss them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

If you're not too pushed, then why don't you just wait?

You can reply by iMessage with your phone number off an iPad/iPod touch, isn't that the new deal with it? That is a handy addition alright if you have multiple iOS devices.

I was hoping for much improved stores and a bit of colour but anything is a welcomed improvement over what it was.

Honestly, their biggest features are useless here and even then, they're not exactly very exciting. Some nice additions but I could do without many of them and still not miss them.

Yeah and from a Mac too. I'll often leave my phone on the other side of the room or in a different room so i'll be able to instantly reply without getting up. A lazy persons dream :) It'll be my first time having a go of Siri too. Won't use it but it'll be fun to mess around with for a while. Safari tabs and history sync. Especially the web history, I've often been looking for a link and had to log onto my Mac to find it. welcomed updates.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 386dx_009

guil wrote: »
    Whats wrong with it? the FUP on my contract is 45000 mins, 10000 texts and 15gb data. Before I went on bill I was spending at least €20 a week on credit for just calls and texts and that was trying to use the phone only when I had to, to me the plan I'm on is a bargain

I cant believe people pay over £500 for a 16gb iphone with less than stellar tech.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

386dx_009 wrote: »
    I cant believe people pay over £500 for a 16gb iphone with less than stellar tech.
    what in gods name has that to do with my post and the most i ever paid for an iphone was €9 when the iphone 4 was released, i got it on upgrade for €259 and sold my 3GS for €250, i got my current 32gb iphone 4 for nothing from emobile

Yep. Same for all smartphones but others tend to be a bit more exciting.

I had no problem paying top dollar for a 4S when it came out as it was fairly stellar but now id feel short changed and wont be buying into the marketing.

They have a point in saying it fits in your hand perfectly. Its a one handed phone and others are two handed but id rather that if it meant better reading, media viewing and web browsing. Prefer a wider 16x9 phone.

I wonder what a 16x9 movie looks like on an iPhone 5. Id say its fairly awkward looking. Would have to be stretched or cropped in some way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Yep. Same for all smartphones but others tend to be a bit more exciting.

I had no problem paying top dollar for a 4S when it came out as it was fairly stellar but now id feel short changed and wont be buying into the marketing.

They have a point in saying it fits in your hand perfectly. Its a one handed phone and others are two handed but id rather that if it meant better reading, media viewing and web browsing. Prefer a wider 16x9 phone.

I wonder what a 16x9 movie looks like on an iPhone 5. Id say its fairly awkward looking. Would have to be stretched or cropped in some way.

No it doesn't have to be cropped. a 16:9 movie on a 16:9 screen would be displayed in 16:9

No it doesn't have to be cropped. a 16:9 movie on a 16:9 screen would be displayed in 16:9

Is the iPhone 5 16x9?

edit - it is. I didnt realise that now. I though it was a bit longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Less than stellar you say?

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1443297

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

mad muffin wrote: »

This is what I expected. Specs only give an indication of performance when it comes to SOCs. Android owners love touting their specs. They mean nothing. It's how the tech actually performs is what counts.

Apple know that some people dont get this. This is why they have not given exact specifics on the tech specs. They tell you its twice as fast. And it is. If they said the iPhone 5 was only a 1GHz dual core then people would have a field day.

But the 4S was probably one of the smallest upgrades Apple have ever released. I wouldn't of upgraded even if I had a 3GS. I woulda just went for a 4 and ignored the minor upgrades of the 4S. I think people underestimate the new iPhone. It's been upgraded in every aspect. Including cables and earphones. There was nothing else to change. I think that's bang for your buck. I was really happy with what they've changed and although they could of added extras like quad-core of NFC I'm still really happy. And I'll definitely trading up from my iPhone 4.

Also if those benchmarks are indeed true.... Wow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

guil wrote: »
    what in gods name has that to do with my post and the most i ever paid for an iphone was €9 when the iphone 4 was released, i got it on upgrade for €259 and sold my 3GS for €250, i got my current 32gb iphone 4 for nothing from emobile

Exactly. Noone seems to ever factor that they have a great resale value, unless you're too lazy to sell it properly and 'trade it in' to the likes of Gamestop or Envirofone.

But the 4S was probably one of the smallest upgrades Apple have ever released. I wouldn't of upgraded even if I had a 3GS. I woulda just went for a 4 and ignored the minor upgrades of the 4S. I think people underestimate the new iPhone. It's been upgraded in every aspect. Including cables and earphones. There was nothing else to change. I think that's bang for your buck. I was really happy with what they've changed and although they could of added extras like quad-core of NFC I'm still really happy. And I'll definitely trading up from my iPhone 4.

Also if those benchmarks are indeed true.... Wow.

True but it was my first iPhone so it was an upgrade to me.

• Advertisement

eamon234 wrote: »
    Exactly. Noone seems to ever factor that they have a great resale value, unless you're too lazy to sell it properly and 'trade it in' to the likes of Gamestop or Envirofone.

No one ever seems to factor the fact they pay about 50 a month for 2 years either. It works both ways.

Advertisement