Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 5 - Discussion [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Media999 wrote: »
    True but it was my first iPhone so it was an upgrade to me.

I see... For me the big one was the iPhone 4. I've only ever had the 3GS before it and it was such a step up in every way. This will be my third iPhone. And again a major design change from the Original.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭petiha

mad muffin wrote: »

haha... I think we can end the "Galaxy S3 has a quad-core and it's so much better" sh*t :D the A6 dual-core is better then the S3's quad-core :D or any other android devices' :eek:

EDIT: oh, and just to back up my point, android fanboys. :)

Android-Benchmarks.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

What will the extra power actually be used for on the iPhone 5? I cant name a single app now that i would say struggles in anyway really.

Even the newer apps how will they take advantage? Games is all i can think of. Never play them myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

mad muffin wrote: »
    If that's legit, I'm impressed.

I'm still looking into the iP5 but it's tiny screen is a big negative while reading, emailing and watching tv. If only they just upped the screen to a scaled 4.3", then with all of that power the developers could really bring out some interesting stuff like intense photo and video editing, games and even writing up emails/documents would be much easier and more enjoyable. It's all kind of a waste when the screen is so small.

I might get it and see how I go and then sell it on, but I already have a good guess from my iPhone 4 that it'll be too small for me.

What will the extra power actually be used for on the iPhone 5? I cant name a single app now that i would say struggles in anyway really.

Even the newer apps how will they take advantage? Games is all i can think of. Never play them myself.

yep, that's what I like about iOS. It runs so smooth, that it's a joy to use. :)

and also to shut android fanboys' up, with their 'specs' comments. :D

• Advertisement

How has the benchmark surfaced? Is it somebody at Apple internally testing it? And it shows up as the iPhone 5 on the geekbench tool. When the phone is actually released and they can confirm it then it'll be definitive. For me this is interesting as I've been saying the last few days that benchmarks show the true performance the phone can reach. If the OS doesn't take advantage of the hardware fully then specs don't mean much. Still a huge improvement from the 4S.

DubDJ wrote: »
    How has the benchmark surfaced? Is it somebody at Apple internally testing it? And it shows up as the iPhone 5 on the geekbench tool. When the phone is actually released and they can confirm it then it'll be definitive. For me this is interesting as I've been saying the last few days that benchmarks show the true performance the phone can reach. If the OS doesn't take advantage of the hardware fully then specs don't mean much. Still a huge improvement from the 4S.

still, it looks absolutely promising, and shows the amount of engineering that went into creating that A6 chip. :) don't you think? ;)

petiha wrote: »
    yep, that's what I like about iOS. It runs so smooth, that it's a joy to use. :)

and also to shut android fanboys' up, with their 'specs' comments. :D

That didnt actually answer my question. And stop lowering the conversation to this fanboy ****e please. There was enough of it already.

Pretty much any phone these days runs smooth. Its not something to brag about really. Also its hardly a shock that new hardware is faster than old hardware is it.

Now can anyone actually answer the question and tell me what apps will use the extra power? Can think of any myself. The next iPad will be a lot better with this chip inside it alright but a small screen i cant see what the extra power would do.

That didnt actually answer my question. And stop lowering the conversation to this fanboy ****e please. There was enough of it already.

Pretty much any phone these days runs smooth. Its not something to brag about really. Also its hardly a shock that new hardware is faster than old hardware is it.

Now can anyone actually answer the question and tell me what apps will use the extra power? Can think of any myself. The next iPad will be a lot better with this chip inside it alright but a small screen i cant see what the extra power would do.

Faster shutter speed for the camera, quicker switch between apps, quicker rendering in apps such as iMovie, iPhoto, etc. better graphics perfomance in games, faster browsing ('cause you know, CPU plays a big part in internet browsing :) )... that's all I could think of right now. :rolleyes:

also, the shock isn't coming from the fact that the new hardware is better, but from how much it is better by... and just to comment on your point ("any phone these days runs smooth"), I'm pretty sure I could freeze any android devices in 10 minutes. :(

however, don't forget that this geekbench test could be fake...

If you go to geekbench and search for iphone 5 or iphone 5,2 nothing comes up so id be curious to see where it came from myself. If it was fake id say they would have made it more than 1% better than the S3 at least.

• Advertisement

That's what I'm wondering too. It's going to be much better than the 4S but until this has been proven legit, I won't fully buy it.

Actually I find it very hard to believe how it would be so much more powerful than an iPad 3 using an A5X chip. This A6 *is* still dual core and it should be around the same spec range as the iPad.

I'm pretty sure I could freeze any android devices in 10 minutes. :(

however, don't forget that this geekbench test could be fake...

But why do you keep mentioning android?

Everything you mentioned is pretty much instant on the 4S and the S3. Apart from rendering but how often do you do that?

Also how would you freeze an S3 in 10 minutes? Just curious.

Yeah I wouldn't go around showing it off just yet. Wait until the actual proof is solid. But hypothetically, if it is true. Then my choice in upgrading will be even easier to make. My iPhone 4 runs beautifully 99% of the time but I have noticed a small bit of lag here and there recently. This iPhone should be future proofed for a few years to come. Maybe get up to iOS X haha.

1ZRed wrote: »
    That's what I'm wondering too. It's going to be much better than the 4S but until this has been proven legit, I won't fully buy it.

Actually I find it very hard to believe how it would be so much more powerful than an iPad 3 using an A5X chip. This A6 *is* still dual core and it should be around the same spec range as the iPad.

Found it. Maybe im being daft here but if you go to geekbench and look youll notice this.

iPhone 4S is titled as "iphone 4s" with a space
    iPhone 5 is titled as "iphone5,2" with no space.

Wonder could these be faked easily by a blog who just happens to be the first to notice it appearing on geekbench.

http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/1030202

But why do you keep mentioning android?

Everything you mentioned is pretty much instant on the 4S and the S3. Apart from rendering but how often do you do that?

Also how would you freeze an S3 in 10 minutes? Just curious.

because iOS gets compared to android all the time. :)

I don't do it often, I just answered your question, as you wished. ;)

I did freeze (not permanently, but for a sec or two) a S3 on ICS (4.0.3) by opening and closing apps, and swiping left-right on the homescreens pretty fast... I might not be able to do that once it gets the Jelly Bean update, since it's "lag-free" as stated by the developers. :)

Found it. Maybe im being daft here but if you go to geekbench and look youll notice this.

Wonder could these be faked easily by a blog who just happens to be the first to notice it appearing on geekbench.

It's hard to believe that there could be so much improvement... but faking it seems a bit sad :/ we better wait 'till 24th. ;)

It's hard to believe that there could be so much improvement... but faking it seems a bit sad :/ we better wait 'till 24th. ;)

Theres a lot of money to be made from Exclusive stories. Thats why its done.

If this is fake it would be a massive disappointment considering it's the only thing that has brought back my interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭touts

Right now the iPhone5 is up there with the flagships of Samsung and HTC. If you buy it now you will basically have the flagship Apple phone for the next 2 years. Even in a year when they come out with the 5s it will most likely just be a bug fix that will keep the form and look and most of the fixes will be rolled ouf in a software upgrade (unless there is another big hardware issue like the antenna). The 5s will probably get a speed boost but 99% of users wont notice any benefit in trading up. So basically if you upgrade now on a 24 month contract you will have the latest Apple phone for the duration of that contract. That is important to a lot of people.

The problem is that now Google,Samsung, Microsoft and others know Apple's hand for the next 24 months. The others get to set the innovation benchmark with little challenge from Apple. The iPhone will be cool but other phones will set the technology benchmark. Plus there is a looming battle between Android and Windows so there will be a competition to drive innovation at a pace Apple will struggle to match with really only one new design (iphone6) over the next 4 years (assuming they keep to their normal schedule).

Personally I think Apple have moved on to their next big thing and phones are yesterdays game for them (all be it a cash cow thanks to its cool image). They are by far the dominant force in tablets and no one else is in the same ballpark as them. They can lead that market for the next 2 to 3 years without getting into an expensive dogfight like the smartphone market has evolved into. By the time the others catch up in the tablet market Apple will just move on to the next virgin technology. It could be apple tv. It could be something we cant imagine right now but in 4 years it will be something we cant imagine living without.

Also does the OS make a big difference?

The result is less than 1% in the difference between the S3 and 5 but S3 is due a jellybean update so really id call this a draw.

If they are that close they are gonna keep on overtaking each other as everytime i run a test benchmark it varies anyway.

Also when i hear more power i also hear less battery. That says to me that the 5 should be way more powerful as apparently it has less battery time. Theres nothing definitive until its in the wild though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭D_BEAR

That geekbench score is impressive the jellybean S3 score for those interested
    http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/1026099

touts wrote: »
    Right now the iPhone5 is up there with the flagships of Samsung and HTC. If you buy it now you will basically have the flagship Apple phone for the next 2 years. Even in a year when they come out with the 5s it will most likely just be a bug fix that will keep the form and look and most of the fixes will be rolled ouf in a software upgrade (unless there is another big hardware issue like the antenna). The 5s will probably get a speed boost but 99% of users wont notice any benefit in trading up. So basically if you upgrade now on a 24 month contract you will have the latest Apple phone for the duration of that contract. That is important to a lot of people.

The problem is that now Google,Samsung, Microsoft and others know Apple's hand for the next 24 months. The others get to set the innovation benchmark with little challenge from Apple. The iPhone will be cool but other phones will set the technology benchmark. Plus there is a looming battle between Android and Windows so there will be a competition to drive innovation at a pace Apple will struggle to match with really only one new design (iphone6) over the next 4 years (assuming they keep to their normal schedule).

Personally I think Apple have moved on to their next big thing and phones are yesterdays game for them (all be it a cash cow thanks to its cool image). They are by far the dominant force in tablets and no one else is in the same ballpark as them. They can lead that market for the next 2 to 3 years without getting into an expensive dogfight like the smartphone market has evolved into. By the time the others catch up in the tablet market Apple will just move on to the next virgin technology. It could be apple tv. It could be something we cant imagine right now but in 4 years it will be something we cant imagine living without.

Pretty much hit the nail on the head apart from one thing. Google Glass.

Also is the iPad really gonna take off the way apple dreams? Apple want one in every students hand but thats just not ever gonna happen. Its just a web browser for 95% of people.

Android vs Windows is gonna be immense. The kind of tech thats gonna be released between them is very exciting. Also the head of EA says games will all be free but ad supported in 5 years. Imagine if Apple or Google came out with a console!

D_BEAR wrote: »
    That geekbench score is impressive the jellybean S3 score for those interested
    http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/1026099

dont tell petiha youll ruin his day :D

Also thats the 1gig version. Fairly sure theres a 2gig version with QuadCore in Asia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Hurricane Carter

still, it looks absolutely promising, and shows the amount of engineering that went into creating that A6 chip. :) don't you think? ;)

Definitely

http://gizmodo.com/5943615/the-iphone-5s-a6-boasts-1gb-of-samsung-ram?tag=iphone-5

dont tell petiha youll ruin his day :D

Also thats the 1gig version. Fairly sure theres a 2gig version with QuadCore in Asia.

haha, no, it's monday now. :D I was overwhelmed on sunday :D and that Jelly Bean geekbench score is impressive... :eek:

The iPhone is still Apple's biggest seller so I think they'll be keeping focus for a long time. It was the big game changer for them and really upped their profits. The iMac and iPod we're big but nothing compared to the iPhone. I've noticed recently Apple have put a lot of focus on software too. With yearly iOS and OS X updates we'll get plenty of features without having up update hardware. Which I'm happy with.

I really hope the Windows phones do well. Blackberry is really struggling. It'll be good to see Apple vs. Android vs. Windows vs. Blackberry in the future. Four major players means 4 times the choice.

haha, no, it's monday now. :D I was overwhelmed on sunday :D and that Jelly Bean geekbench score is impressive... :eek:

Monday is now ruined :pac:

http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/995810

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭racer1

Pretty much hit the nail on the head apart from one thing. Google Glass.

Also is the iPad really gonna take off the way apple dreams? Apple want one in every students hand but thats just not ever gonna happen. Its just a web browser for 95% of people.

Android vs Windows is gonna be immense. The kind of tech thats gonna be released between them is very exciting. Also the head of EA says games will all be free but ad supported in 5 years. Imagine if Apple or Google came out with a console!

The big problem for apple is the margins on product. On the iPad the margin is minimal. But they have a massive margin on the iPhone. I think now that other company's mainly Microsoft are waking up and starting to innovate. I don't know what the next big thing is but I will say it will be here in 5 years. This iPhone 5 will be a massive seller for apple. My oh will buy one... But I think people need to look at market share overall..... The market share 5 years ago is so much different to these days... It's now grown that almost everyone now buys a smartphone.... I read a very good comment and it said apples biggest issue is pricing.... If as a parent you are buying your child a smartphone you won't but an apple as its too expensive when you can get an android for 80 euro nowadays. I believe the market is changing very quickly from paying for expensive hardware products to products you pay for apps/advertising.

What I mean is you will buy a product for cost.. i.e. 200€ but the company will hope too sell you add ons for 200€ and advertising as well....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

racer1 wrote: »
    The big problem for apple is the margins on product. On the iPad the margin is minimal. But they have a massive margin on the iPhone. ....

Both products come from manufacture at single figure US Dollar values.

• Advertisement

what kind of S3 is that? An ARM ARMv7 CPU @ 1.80 GHz! :eek: I thought S3s had exynos CPUs... and whats up with the 778mb memory? :confused:

Advertisement