Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 5 - Discussion [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

smash wrote: »
    iMessage... or the bump app, or any of the other hundred apps.
    Limited in size of videos, last time I used bump it used one of my MMS's, so that's crap, iMessage is fussy as hell and sometimes just fails and sends as regular text.
    Besides, if an Android fan says "you can do that by downloading an App" the Apple fan always replies with "but I don't want to have to look for apps to do everything".
    Likewise, I don't want to be out with someone somewhere with no WiFi and have to ask them to download some App just so I can transfer a video or pic in original uncompressed format. It's a load of shyte and Apple fanboys can't admit that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    Limited in size of videos, last time I used bump it used one of my MMS's, so that's crap, iMessage is fussy as hell and sometimes just fails and sends as regular text.
    Besides, if an Android fan says "you can do that by downloading an App" the Apple fan always replies with "but I don't want to have to look for apps to do everything".
    Likewise, I don't want to be out with someone somewhere with no WiFi and have to ask them to download some App just so I can transfer a video or pic in original uncompressed format. It's a load of shyte and Apple fanboys can't admit that.

Apple Fanboys V Fandroids :D
    How original........

God this gets boring.......Isint there an Android forum for fandroids????

Media999 wrote: »
    In my college everyone uses Laptops. Ive never seen someone take out an iPad to take notes or whatever. I dont think the iPad is gonna revolutionise education like Apple claimed either.

I genuinely think Google are onto something better with there glasses. Google Glass.

Imagine being able to record and rewind a lecture etc. Or look at notes in one eye and the lecturer in the other. On the bus studying etc.

Thats the next big thing. Apple will be forced to copy them aswell. Its not like they can come up with something similar and say there not copying. i.e phones where around before the iphone but people werent really walking around with a monitor in their glasses[although they did exist]. Id have no bother wearing them. I think they will eventually be really small and stylish like sunglasses.
    Certainly not. The Raspberry Pi actually might, or indeed should though. The iPad teaches kids nothing apart from that they attend a school that wants some media attention for being cool.

kceire wrote: »
    How original........

I've pointed out that I'm neither, as I own both. But you're obviously "one of those"!! :)
    I'm just highlighting errors in judgement of the iBoys!

I've pointed out that I'm neither, as I own both. But you're obviously "one of those"!! :)
    I'm just highlighting errors in judgement of the iBoys!

Ive a Nokia 6300 here, where does that fit in with your iArgument?
    There are many many errors in judgement of the iBoys and Fandroids, it works both ways too ;)

• Advertisement

There are many many errors in judgement of the iBoys and Fandroids, it works both ways too ;)
    Ah don't get me started on the 6300... :p

tell me about it, ive gotten so use to touch screens/QWERTY keypads, that texing is now a pain using the number keypad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

tell me about it, ive gotten so use to touch screens/QWERTY keypads, that texing is now a pain using the number keypad.
    I have one as a work phone. Texting on it takes me ages lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

I am NOT trying to start anything, just seen this on YLYL :P

220983.png

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭petiha

alright, we now got iBoys, Fandroids aaaaaaaand fanbians (symbian) :D :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭say_who_now?

petiha wrote: »
    alright, we now got iBoys, Fandroids aaaaaaaand fanbians (symbian) :D :pac:

fananas! (symbian anna!) :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

How original........

Aye...I hear ya....

Obviously absolutely nothing happening on Android so they all bandwagon onto iPhone threads

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

There are always 3 types of reactions to Apple events

1. The fanboys or casual admirers of the iPhone
    2. The people who are indifferent to the announcement (mostly android users)
    3. The people who intentionally voice their hatred of iPhone and all things Apple.

..it's just the way it is

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭petiha

miralize wrote: »
    There are always 3 types of reactions to Apple events

1. The fanboys or casual admirers of the iPhone
    2. The people who are indifferent to the announcement (mostly android users)
    3. The people who intentionally voice their hatred of iPhone and all things Apple.

..it's just the way it is

yep, sadly. anyway, once you have so many haters as Apple, you know you are succesful. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

iPhone 5 pre-orders reach 2m in 24hrs.

Looks like we'll be waiting the usual 3 weeks if not more before they ship to us after they go on sale to Ireland on the 28th.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Qwerty Dub

People already queing outside the Apple Store on 5th Avenue ahead of Friday release. Madness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

I'll wait, I find the iP4 to be as much as I need, I looked at the iPhone 5 an' TBH Apple's presentation just left me cold, bored even.

The only exciting thing, but not available where I live, is the new faster BB protocol.

Thinner is not an advantage, I'm using chunky cases already, a bare iP4 is already uncomfortable for my hands.

Possible reason for the massive preorder is the court ruling that may block the import of the iPhone into the USA for copyright infringements, not expected to be in force [if ever] until the new year.

The iP5 is in contravention of EU charging protocols too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

gbee wrote: »
    I'll wait, I find the iP4 to be as much as I need, I looked at the iPhone 5 an' TBH Apple's presentation just left me cold, bored even.

The only exciting thing, but not available where I live, is the new faster BB protocol.

Thinner is not an advantage, I'm using chunky cases already, a bare iP4 is already uncomfortable for my hands.

Possible reason for the massive preorder is the court ruling that may block the import of the iPhone into the USA for copyright infringements, not expected to be in force [if ever] until the new year.

I think the massive preorder is due to the fact that people want this phone.
    I'm gonna stick with my 4s and maybe consider the 5 in a few months. How is it that there is so so many apple haters and yet this phone will be the biggest and fastest seling phone in the entire history of the universe????
    Is it cool to say "iPhones are ****" now? It used to be you were the cool one with an iPhone and now it seems to be the reverse.
    I can't see me ever going to android OS, it's like teletext compared to ios.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

gbee wrote: »

No, they just need to include an adapter like they do with the 4S.
    There is no requirement for a micro-usb port on the phone itself.

So new record for preorders!
    I was expecting a record but didn't expect it to double the 4S record.
    I would also bet that 99% of the preorders haven't even heard of any attempt to block imports.
    I'd expect those suits to be as successful as the 4S attacks anyway.

Qwerty Dub wrote: »
    People already queing outside the Apple Store on 5th Avenue ahead of Friday release. Madness.

WTF!!
    Fanboyism to a new level.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Qwerty Dub wrote: »
    WTF!!
    Fanboyism to a new level.

Apparently they are paid promotional folk for the most part. Not sure who is paying them or why - but there you go. Maybe they hold up hoardings when the cameras are on them or sit there drinking pepsi all the time - I dunno.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

jarvis wrote: »
    I think the massive preorder is due to the fact that people want this phone.
    I'm gonna stick with my 4s and maybe consider the 5 in a few months. How is it that there is so so many apple haters and yet this phone will be the biggest and fastest seling phone in the entire history of the universe????
    Is it cool to say "iPhones are ****" now? It used to be you were the cool one with an iPhone and now it seems to be the reverse.
    I can't see me ever going to android OS, it's like teletext compared to ios.

I'm hoping to get one late into December. I bought an unwanted upgrade, unopened last December, hoping to do the same again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,533 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

DubDJ wrote: »
    iPhone 5 pre-orders reach 2m in 24hrs.

Looks like we'll be waiting the usual 3 weeks if not more before they ship to us after they go on sale to Ireland on the 28th.

Really don't know why you think this.

Got my 4s delivered on launch day last year.

Edit: Ignore above, just read the article (which I should have done in the 1st place).

So much for Apple being in demise and in trouble!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

qm.gif

POST OF THE YEAR :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

racer1 wrote: »
    The big problem for apple is the margins on product. On the iPad the margin is minimal. But they have a massive margin on the iPhone. I think now that other company's mainly Microsoft are waking up and starting to innovate. I don't know what the next big thing is but I will say it will be here in 5 years. This iPhone 5 will be a massive seller for apple. My oh will buy one... But I think people need to look at market share overall..... The market share 5 years ago is so much different to these days... It's now grown that almost everyone now buys a smartphone.... I read a very good comment and it said apples biggest issue is pricing.... If as a parent you are buying your child a smartphone you won't but an apple as its too expensive when you can get an android for 80 euro nowadays. I believe the market is changing very quickly from paying for expensive hardware products to products you pay for apps/advertising.

What I mean is you will buy a product for cost.. i.e. 200€ but the company will hope too sell you add ons for 200€ and advertising as well....

Simple straightforward marketing tricks.

Once you lower a price you cant higher it back up. The companies that higher prices for the same product generally fail.

Also People in queues for an iphone 5 now are A ] paid by Apple B ] Work for a blog and is looking for free publicity C ] Attention whore hoping to be on the telly

Sure doesnt it all work. Arent all of you talking about it. :D

Also the rasberry will change education in a different way. Apple will never compete wit that because it doesnt give a **** about poor countries. Only countries with massive propaganda machines and money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

I don't mind saying I'm an Apple fanboy, who cares. but I'll still wait a few months, maybe until next spring before looking to buy the 5. The new iPod Shuffle on the other hand... :D:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

racer1 wrote: »
    The big problem for apple

Ehhhh... I would love to know where you get the preposterous idea that Apple have a problem. Look at the financial reports and sales reports of the last quarter and the last 5 years.
    . . . . . . . is the margins on product. On the iPad the margin is minimal.
    Wrong. The margin on the iPad is roughly 51%. Ever so slightly different from the iPhone.
    I think now that other company's mainly Microsoft are waking up and starting to innovate. I don't know what the next big thing is but I will say it will be here in 5 years.
    It is a great thing to have competition, I agree. But MS phone is showing no real signs of that. It is a second rate OS and trailing even Android in potential.
    This iPhone 5 will be a massive seller for apple. My oh will buy one... But I think people need to look at market share overall..... The market share 5 years ago is so much different to these days... It's now grown that almost everyone now buys a smartphone.... I read a very good comment and it said apples biggest issue is pricing.... If as a parent you are buying your child a smartphone you won't but an apple as its too expensive when you can get an android for 80 euro nowadays. I believe the market is changing very quickly from paying for expensive hardware products to products you pay for apps/advertising.
    Market share is a movable feast. Apple have one Phone, Android have dozens. The smart phone market is spreading fast. Apple are a highly quality, high value, high price item. They always have been and always will be. That's what they aim to be. The don't and won't be competing for the kiddy or the budget market.
    Your tip of the hat to Amazon is interesting but the market is not going that way other than the bottom budget end ... possibly, but not likely imho.

Piliger wrote: »
    It is a great thing to have competition, I agree. But MS phone is showing no real signs of that. It is a second rate OS and trailing even Android in potential.

Wouldnt say its short of potential. Maybe short of results but it does have plenty of potential. 2 or 3 years and itll be a 3 way race.

Microsoft could launch some kind of a phone that maybe syncs perfectly with the Xbox 720 and becomes a media powerhouse far better than the iPhone and Apple TV. Who knows? But the 360 dominating the consoles is gonna be a major factor.

I think the iPad has reached a plateau at this stage aswell. Not really gonna expand its market much more. Despite all the nonsense about them replacing laptops. Not gonna happen. In my college i havent seen one. Literally not one student using one in class. Roughly every 5th person uses there laptop to view notes in class. Many more have laptops with them

Maybe Apple could go into Gaming. Sounds far fetched but it could be something new for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Media999 wrote: »
    Wouldnt say its short of potential. Maybe short of results but it does have plenty of potential. 2 or 3 years and itll be a 3 way race.

Microsoft could launch some kind of a phone that maybe syncs perfectly with the Xbox 720 and becomes a media powerhouse far better than the iPhone and Apple TV. Who knows? But the 360 dominating the consoles is gonna be a major factor.

I think the iPad has reached a plateau at this stage aswell. Not really gonna expand its market much more. Despite all the nonsense about them replacing laptops. Not gonna happen. In my college i havent seen one. Literally not one student using one in class. Roughly every 5th person uses there laptop to view notes in class. Many more have laptops with them

Maybe Apple could go into Gaming. Sounds far fetched but it could be something new for them.

I agree with you for the most part, the windows phone won't fail , simply because Microsoft won't let it.

The mobile market is worth billions a year and they want a piece of it, for the next few years they'll spend millions on advertising etc

TBH I'm surprised they haven't launched a phone that's works flawlessly with an Xbox or even a windows machine, let's hope it coming soon

With more competition comes more lawsuits innovation

• Advertisement

Kenno90 wrote: »
    I agree with you for the most part, the windows phone won't fail , simply because Microsoft won't let it.

The mobile market is worth billions a year and they want a piece of it, for the next few years they'll spend millions on advertising etc

TBH I'm surprised they haven't launched a phone that's works flawlessly with an Xbox or even a windows machine, let's hope it coming soon

With more competition comes more lawsuits innovation

They say they are bringing out some kind of cross platform system. For example you sign into Xbox live, Windows, Phone and Tablet. Share everything across the lot.

Would be good to Buy an Xbox game and get the mobile version free etc.

It will be at the stage where technology has to triple speed every year if they all go head to head. Never mind double.

Advertisement