Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 5 - Discussion [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I too thought I was bored with the iPhone and iOS. I'm so glad to be back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

mad muffin wrote: »
    I too thought I was bored with the iPhone and iOS. I'm so glad to be back.

Maybe it's just me being so used to it that I'm starting to look at android. I've only ever had iOS so I don't know any better, or worse:D

Still a solid OS though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

1ZRed wrote: »
    Maybe it's just me being so used to it that I'm starting to look at android. I've only ever had iOS so I don't know any better, or worse:D

Still a solid OS though.

It's always great to use something 'flashy' for a while but then you start hankering for a good solid OS. I tried android, loved it at first but quickly got bored and the bugs annoyed me. I've had iOS and WP7, i rate both better than Android. If you want to try something new pick up a lumia, at least you won't have to worry about the phone crashing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

The only thing holding me to iPhone is iMessage. Can't live without it now! Especially over here in Canada where text charges are outrageous!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

The only thing holding me to iPhone is iMessage. Can't live without it now! Especially over here in Canada where text charges are outrageous!
    Ehhhhhhhhhh, have you not heard of whatsapp? It's more or less the same, but better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 951 ✭✭✭MiniNukinfuts

iMessage is what brought 2 of my friends to an iPhone, they love it now. I wonder would apple ever consider free iPhone to iPhone calls. I doubt the carriers would allow it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭Digitaljunkie

iMessage is what brought 2 of my friends to an iPhone, they love it now. I wonder would apple ever consider free iPhone to iPhone calls. I doubt the carriers would allow it though.

Viber ?

Viber ?

ya, but an apple version where no extra app is needed.

ya, but an apple version where no extra app is needed.

Ya ok but viber shows up in your contacts, the app is free along with calls and texts and is a sollid quick and easy platform to use. It's a no brainer for me as my contacts have it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Andremac96

It will prob come out summer 2013

• Advertisement

Ya ok but viber shows up in your contacts, the app is free along with calls and texts and is a sollid quick and easy platform to use. It's a no brainer for me as my contacts have it.

It may seem good, but I along with many others i'm sure, find it annoying to open up that app and make a call rather than use the standard phone app. Also, the terrible voice quality in the past, has put me off it.

I'd just like apple to integrate it into the phone app, so no extra services are needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Bang on, that's why The HTC One X and the Galaxy S3 are the 2 best phones right now. They have the features people want, great screen, FM radio, flash, slick software and apps.

The 5 has way too much to live up to and needs to be a radical departure from the 4s design wise if it wants to stay current. I really think there in trouble this time as the market has galloped ahead of them. They caught the mobile industry off guard with the iPhone but they can`t possibly expect to stay ahead of them by launching just 1 new design every 2 years. Samsung are running away with their lead in smartphone sales and their share price is nearly rising at double the rate of apples. I fear for apple if we don't hear about the 5 this month and they wait until October to announce it as the S4 will be on the horizon or who knows even nokia or rim might have pulled a rabbit out of the hat by then.

Ok let's go through this.

Great Screen....by this you mean size only, as the Apple screen resolution is fantastic. For me the Samung size is too big. iPhone could go a little bigger but I wouldn;t want it huge.

FM Radio: Yes I would like this too but it's not a dealbreaker.

Flash: Really, you are having a laugh. Flash is on the way out not iPhone. I really can count on my fingers the number of times I've missed Flash on my phone.

Slick Software and Apps. I find the software very slick (ie it works and is smooth) and the Apps ......well how can you beat the apps in the App Store.

As for the rest of your comment, all just ill-informed, they didn't catch the phone market unaware they turned it on its head.
    They're ahead of any company in term of design. I would agree that that the iPhone 4/4s design is higher quality/more aestehtic than the plastic cased SIII.
    Either way, the iPhone 5 even if it's the same as the 4s design will sell milllions but I'm sure Apple will come up with a new design.

It makes me laugh that people think Apple are incapabable of being innovative or responding to competition.

People can also talk about sales of Samsung v iPhone but more people I know have iPhones than any other and I also find that you see more iPhones around than Samsungs (just my opinion).

Also, you need to learn more about share price too I think!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭creativedrinker

I don't get why everyone gives out that apple don't change the look of the their phones where htc n Samsung constantly do....

I just think that apple have got a perfect size, a design that everyone knows and I don't think a insane change would do anythinng....

I think the only upgrade an iPhone needs, but I don't see it for a while is a better battery... Can't beat the old phones that lasted weeks :D

Apple are just perfecting their phone at this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Oh and as well as iMessage my iPhone is my music player and when I owned an Android (a few years back) I couldn't get it to sync with iTunes on my Mac, so I guess that's another dealbreaker for me.

I don't get why everyone gives out that apple don't change the look of the their phones where htc n Samsung constantly do....

I just think that apple have got a perfect size, a design that everyone knows and I don't think a insane change would do anythinng....

Agree "if it ain't broke don't fix it".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

I cant believe people take electronic products and the companies that make them so personally.

I have had variants of the iphone since the 3g when i change my phone next I will as always look at whats in the market, the look and feel of products and make my decision.

One thing I wont be doing is getting involved in some crazy consumer war shouting that one company is better than the other.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I think the only upgrade an iPhone needs, but I don't see it for a while is a better battery... Can't beat the old phones that lasted weeks :D

Apple are just perfecting their phone at this stage

"Everything that can be invented has been invented."

- Charles Holland Duell, United States Patent and Trademark Office in 1899

I'm not sure you'd get a job in Apple, tbh!
    iMessage is great - except for pictures. Haven't successfully sent a picture in months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Dades wrote: »
    "Everything that can be invented has been invented."

- Charles Holland Duell, United States Patent and Trademark Office in 1899

I'm not sure you'd get a job in Apple, tbh!

iMessage is great - except for pictures. Haven't successfully sent a picture in months.

I can send pictures perfectly on mine! Hardly ever do it but when I do it's usually just as quick if not quicker than uploading a picture on dropbox.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

^^ Just get error messages for a while now. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,753 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Kenno90 wrote: »

WOW, a piece of plastic with an Apple on it.

I really dont get the obsessive compulsion there is with impending apple launches and the hype over a piece of backing plastic.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,941 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It's hard to say, but the engineering detail seems a bit too good to be a mockup. I assume the two-tones on the back are different materials to help with antenna reception. The phone is longer but is also a lot thinner, which seems like a fair comprise. Moving the headphone port to the bottom and making the charging connector smaller seem like something Apple would do as well.

Was going to point out the same thing.

The forum this thread is on is called apple media devices
    the thread title is "iphone 5". :eek:

Kippys post is very similiar to someone going into the soccer forum and complaining they cant believe people spend so much of their time talking about the possible impending transfers to such and such teams.

:rolleyes:

Yep.
    It's a video with a piece of plastic with an apple on the back for gods sake.

kippy wrote: »
    Yep.
    It's a video with a piece of plastic with an apple on the bad for gods sake.

What's an "apple on the bad"?

Was going to point out the same thing.

The forum this thread is on is called apple media devices
    the thread title is "iphone 5". :eek:

Kippys post is very similiar to someone going into the soccer forum and complaining they cant believe people spend so much of their time talking about the possible impending transfers to such and such teams.

:rolleyes:

It's not actually.
    If there was a thread in the soccer forum, discussing a new ball that nike were bringing out in the next few days for the euros and some guy had posted a video of some guy on youtube with a single panel of the ball and I posted something similiar in it, then yes, that would be similiar to this.
    I was commenting more specificity on the video linked to......
    Look lads, if ye can't take a bit of criticism.....

It's not actually.
    If there was a thread in the soccer forum, discussing a new ball that nike were bringing out in the next few days for the euros and some guy had posted a video of some guy on youtube with a single panel of the ball and I posted something similiar in it, then yes, that would be similiar to this.
    I was commenting more specificity on the video linked to......
    Look lads, if ye can't take a bit of criticism.....

Waaaaa Waaaaaa wa I hate the cool kids with the iphones.

Thats what you sound like :cool:

Waaaaa Waaaaaa wa I hate the cool kids with the iphones.

Thats what you sound like :cool:

That's funny, really.

• Advertisement

That's funny, really.

It was meant to be.
    Can we both now stop thread spoiling and leave the thread for what it was meant for, discussing rumours and leaks about the new apple iphone?

Advertisement