Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 5 - Discussion [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST]

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I would seriously consider the Lumia 920 but to be quite honest I'm tired of waiting for it.

Microsoft have a huge opportunity to hook the mobile market in with their desktop/laptop OS users. Once Windows 8 becomes prevalent in people's PCs it will suddenly become a real option to have a smartphone running the same thing.

I'm 26 months with my handset now though, so it just ain't happening in time for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

People who think the iPhone is doomed to smaller market share should think some more

1) in the US they are tied in share with Android. That's because all contracts are the same over there - a carrier cartel - and the iPhone is the same price as Android models. This indicates potential demand elsewhere.
    2) they are not yet on all carriers. they will be.
    3) they release a phone a year. That won't last.
    4) they haven't released their cheap model yet. they will.
    5) They've won the large tablet space. Amazon is removing the rest of the Android threat at the lower level, and the iPad mini looks likely.
    6) They are in the enterprise. They've won that too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I've only ever owned 2 phones(one for 10 years and still works fine), you can wait Dades :pac:
    Must have a look at that lumia.

media999 wrote:
    what is this madness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

jarvis wrote: »
    Is it cool to say "iPhones are ****" now? It used to be you were the cool one with an iPhone and now it seems to be the reverse.
    Depends on who you talk to. I never discuss phones away from boards.ie.. I'm sure if I ever commented on my mates phone over a pint, or my wife's phone over dinner, they'd look at me like I was mad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

People who think the iPhone is doomed to smaller market share should think some more

3) they release a phone a year. That won't last.

Yes it will. No way in hell will apple release a new iPhone every 6 months.

4) they haven't released their cheap model yet. they will.

No they wont. The 4s is now the "cheap" model

5) They've won the large tablet space. Amazon is removing the rest of the Android threat at the lower level, and the iPad mini looks likely.

No its not. Amazon is far from "removing the threat". Id far prefer a Nexus 7. Couldnt make them fast enough when released. Thats not "removed".

6) They are in the enterprise. They've won that too.

What does that even mean? What enterprise?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Media999 wrote: »

By Enterprise he means big business, and while they have done well in that space historically they are being phased out. I work for a DJ Top 100 company and we are phasing out iphones in favour of WP7/8 on account of the high cost of the iPhone relative to the, equally competent, competition. I have a friend who works in IT for a large bank and they are doing the same.

The rest of what you say is spot on. Apple will never change their release cycle and if they build a lower cost, lower margin iPhone they will canibalise their own premium phone sales.

The Nexus 7 is selling very well, and Android is rapidly closing the marketshare gap to iPad in the tablet space, they have finally got their act together and offered a more than credible alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭leemaree

Blogs who talk bull**** make a lot more money than blogs who wait for the truth. Remember that.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

1) in the US they are tied in share with Android. That's because all contracts are the same over there - a carrier cartel - and the iPhone is the same price as Android models. This indicates potential demand elsewhere.

Are you talking about current market share in the US? if so i'm pretty sure android have close to double the share apple have (something like 50% android, 30% ios). Totally open to correction on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

leemaree wrote: »

Nope. Just a usual attempt to get page views. I stick to places like The Verge and 9To5Mac. Between the credible rumour sites they basically got every detail of the keynote spot on.

• Advertisement

The new ipod touch is priced at 300 dollars. iPad mini would realistically have to be at least 350. Not as competitive as it could be if it is.

Id still rather a Nexus pricewise if i definitely needed a smaller tablet. However id just save and get a full sized ipad altogether.

1) Of course Apple will release a new model of iPhone and update them on an alternating cycle. The 4S is last years model, it is not the dedicated cheap model. Tom Cook hinted as much in his talks about not leaving a price umbrella. My take is it will be the iPod Touch with a radio chip.
    2) Apple are most certainly not losing the enterprise, an amazing amount of iPad apps are being developed for the iPad. That's sunk costs. A few anecdotes about the windows 8 withstanding, expect that to continue.
    3) neither the fire or the nexus are catching up. The fires sales collapsed post christmas, the nexus is an attempt to stop Anazon dominating the small end of the market. The iPad mini is yet to be released.

And Apple are not on all markets, or all carriers yet.

This strategy is the same as the iPod strategy. Start expensive and control price points from very cheap to expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Wouldnt say its short of potential. Maybe short of results but it does have plenty of potential. 2 or 3 years and itll be a 3 way race.

Microsoft could launch some kind of a phone that maybe syncs perfectly with the Xbox 720 and becomes a media powerhouse far better than the iPhone and Apple TV. Who knows? But the 360 dominating the consoles is gonna be a major factor.
    Could, might, possible. Won't.
    I think the iPad has reached a plateau at this stage aswell. Not really gonna expand its market much more. Despite all the nonsense about them replacing laptops. Not gonna happen. In my college i havent seen one. Literally not one student using one in class. Roughly every 5th person uses there laptop to view notes in class. Many more have laptops with them

Really ? Check out this one out of hundreds of similar reports:

"Cold hard numbers now show that Apple's iPad is indeed cannibalizing the traditional PC market--and laptops in particular. BusinessWeek reported today that global laptop sales have collapsed, from pre-iPad double-digit growth rates to just 1 percent in the first quarter of 2011. As industry analysts cut PC sales forecasts even further, competition is going to be tougher for computer manufacturers."
    Maybe Apple could go into Gaming. Sounds far fetched but it could be something new for them.

You don't say .......Check this out:

Electronic Arts CEO John Riccitiello said:
    "Consoles used to be 80% of the industry as recently as 2000. Consoles today are 40% of the game industry, so what do we really have? I think that the pattern against which Nintendo is no longer resonating is over anyway. We have a new hardware platform and we’re putting out software every 90 days. Our fastest growing platform is the iPad right now and that didn’t exist 18 months ago."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Ipad will never fully replace a laptop but for the general public an iPad does everything they need. Why would most buy a laptop for just e-mailing, web browsing and some entertainment when it can be much handier to have all together on a much smaller, more portable, lighter device. Most people I know only use their laptops for small internet uses and don't actually need anything else in the laptop. An iPad is still pretty useless though with out a desktop or laptop to sync it up to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Now these lads know how to sell a product! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,533 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Jofspring wrote: »
    Ipad will never fully replace a laptop but for the general public an iPad does everything they need. Why would most buy a laptop for just e-mailing, web browsing and some entertainment when it can be much handier to have all together on a much smaller, more portable, lighter device. Most people I know only use their laptops for small internet uses and don't actually need anything else in the laptop. An iPad is still pretty useless though with out a desktop or laptop to sync it up to.

I find you're contradicting yourself a bit.

Why would a person need to sync an iPad if they just use it for browsing and content use, Netlfix etc.

No sync requirement then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Piliger wrote: »
    Really ? Check out this one out of hundreds of similar reports:

"Cold hard numbers now show that Apple's iPad is indeed cannibalizing the traditional PC market--and laptops in particular. BusinessWeek reported today that global laptop sales have collapsed, from pre-iPad double-digit growth rates to just 1 percent in the first quarter of 2011. As industry analysts cut PC sales forecasts even further, competition is going to be tougher for computer manufacturers."
    To be honest, you can use sales figures to make your point any way you like, but this article hits the nail on the head I reckon.
    http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/the-next-big-thing-the-iphone-has-made-phones-ordinary-so-what-is-next
    That does more to explain why laptop sales are in decline.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭petiha

1ZRed wrote: »

Now these lads know how to sell a product! :pac:

"extra-mazonary-lutioning" :D:D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

murpho999 wrote: »
    I find you're contradicting yourself a bit.

Why would a person need to sync an iPad if they just use it for browsing and content use, Netlfix etc.

No sync requirement then.

Doesn't it need to sync initially to enable its use?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Mactard wrote: »
    Doesn't it need to sync initially to enable its use?
    Dont think so anymore i'm pretty sure once you have a connection wireless or 3g you can set it all up

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Hurricane Carter

No you can set it up wirelessly just as you do with the iPhone.

However, it's pretty useless on it's own if you're going to be travelling and/or have no access to WIFI to stream.

You need to sync with something to put movies, music etc on it in this case.

That said, WIFI is plentiful these days.

I'd still much rather my Macbook Air! Found the iPad pretty useless myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Wonder if they new iPhone will be available for pre-order on Friday? I'd say because of such a huge demand they probably won't offer it. I'll be ordering as soon as its available and as I wait I'll see what plans Meteor are offering. I'll imagine they'll put prices up.

as for "how unsuccesful the new iPhone will be" - http://bit.ly/RfEpSf

yeah, everyone is switching to android & windows phone :rolleyes:

petiha wrote: »

Why do you care? Seriously..

petiha wrote: »

I know not everyone cant afford a phone but 2 million out of what 7.04 billion

Nothing special :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

0ph0rce0 wrote: »

I think that was American pre-orders, so out of 300 odd million. Bit more impressive. Pre-order was only available in Tier 1 countries so even if it was just them, you cannot deny that figure is impressive.

Jimdagym wrote: »
    I think that was American pre-orders, so out of 300 odd million. Bit more impressive. Pre-order was only available in Tier 1 countries so even if it was just them, you cannot deny that figure is impressive.

Americans - says it all. :D

Jimdagym wrote: »

No 2 million out of 300 is not impresive, it was a joke anyway. Why do people always take things too seriously :rolleyes:

0ph0rce0 wrote: »

yep! :D

• Advertisement

I Am Kong! wrote: »
    Why do you care? Seriously..

Well he is in the Apple Devices forum.

Advertisement