Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 5 - Discussion [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Hurricane Carter

Well he is in the Apple Devices forum.

Really?

So am I, but I don't take things like a phone or an operating system to heart!

It's like some people need to feel that what they have is superior to the opposition, which is ridiculous.

If you like it fair enough. I like iOS and my iPhone, but at the end of the day, it's just a phone!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭petiha

I Am Kong! wrote: »
    Really?

It's like some people need to feel that what they have is superior to the opposition, which is ridiculous.

If you like it fair enough. I like iOS and my iPhone, but at the end of the day, it's just a phone!

did I say I'm in love with my iPhone or any of my other Apple devices? I just posted a link which shows how successful the iPhone 5 is, in terms of sale, already. And that's because, if you look at smartphone forums (won't name them), you can see all the haters saying "oh apple is sh*t", "apple is dead", etc. which is definitely really annoying... well maybe I shouldn't let my emotions from other forums take over in this forum. Apologies. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Really?

I have working theory on this.
    Apple or Android ism is a manifestation of the inner tribal mentality that also lies behind football fanaticism - Celtic v Rangers, Liverpool v Everton etc. Except geeks can't play football. So they turn to tech to be tribal about.

In short, what I'm saying is fanboi's of either persuasion are tribal minded, unevolved, failed football fans :D

I have working theory on this.
    Apple or Android ism is a manifestation of the inner tribal mentality that also lies behind football fanaticism - Celtic v Rangers, Liverpool v Everton etc. Except geeks can't play football. So they turn to tech to be tribal about.

In short, what I'm saying is fanboi's of either persuasion are tribal minded, unevolved, failed football fans :D

aaaand that's because I posted a link. :)

man, I'm nowhere near of being a geek, and I can play football. ;)

btw, I never mentioned anything about iOS being better than any other OSs, and why? Because I'm open to all of them. I like all of them for different aspects. I simply posted a link, which is related to the topic, and didn't expect people to get so personal about it. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Really?

What a load of **** and bollocks. He is posting a link about how well the iPhone preorders sold on a apple device forum in a thread about that phone. It is totally relevant to the thread unlike the petulant "what's it to you" comment from you.

• Advertisement

petiha wrote: »
    aaaand that's because I posted a link. :)

man, I'm nowhere near of being a geek, and I can play football. ;)

btw, I never mentioned anything about iOS being better than any other OSs, and why? Because I'm open to all of them. I like all of them for different aspects. I simply posted a link, which is related to the topic, and didn't expect people to get so personal about it. :confused:

Why do you assume I am talking about you ? :confused: There have been pages and pages of fan boy stuff here

Why do you assume I am talking about you ? :confused: There have been pages and pages of fan boy stuff here

because I posted a link, and that's where it all started. :confused:

anyway, I think it's time to get back to the topic... "Apple Media Devices - iPhone 5"

What a load of **** and bollocks. He is posting a link about how well the iPhone preorders sold on a apple device forum in a thread about that phone. It is totally relevant to the thread unlike the petulant "what's it to you" comment from you.

Well, not really '**** and bollocks' is it...after he admitted that people saying it mightn't sell well annoys him. :)

Well, not really '**** and bollocks' is it...after he admitted that people saying it mightn't sell well annoys him. :)

no! what annoys me more than anything, is HATERS. (and not just for Apple... anything. why hate?)

I see MasterCard are launching 'Paypass'.

Apple really should've had NFC in the 5...unless they're brining out another phone in Spring that's NFC enabled.

http://www.paypass.com/

• Advertisement

no! what annoys me more than anything, is HATERS. (and not just for Apple... anything. why hate?)

That's fair enough. I agree. I hate haters, but I also hate sheep. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Yeah I agree. I can't understand why people feel the need to go out of their way to hate on something they don't like for whatever reason. Using this thread for example. Why so much hate. I'd never go over to the Android forum and start saying how **** the OS is. I like iOS, that's where it ends. Not a big fan of Android.... but i'm not going to go and start hating on their choice. Live and Let Live is what I say. Fair enough with the genuine people who've been comparing the phone to others etc. But the blatant hate from some people is just pathetic.

This is not aimed at anybody in particular or from this thread. Just talking generalities here.

I see MasterCard are launching 'Paypass'.

Apple really should've had NFC in the 5...unless they're brining out another phone in Spring that's NFC enabled.

http://www.paypass.com/

(thanks for getting back to the topic. :))

They have to... not to mention it was stupid not to do it for iPhone 5, in the first place. I mean, by next september (unless Apple changes it's phone cycle), NFC will be BIG. :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

No, they won't. Next iPhone is 12 months away. Any nonsense you read otherwise is exactly that.

That's fair enough. I agree. I hate haters, but I also hate sheep. :)

Then stop following the Android hive mind by coming into forums about Apple products where the users of those products want to talk about the products or about the sales. This includes being critical, however the petulant "what's it to you" is unneeded.

The odd thing about this thread is not apple users discussing a new release, which is what the thread is for, but the need of people who are tribally into the other side to pop in. That's the new cult.

They have to... not to mention if was stupid not to do it for iPhone 5, in the first place. I mean, by next september (unless Apple changes it's phone cycle), NFC will be BIG. :pac:

Not in Ireland. Maybe by 2015 or 2050 we'll catch up with other countries with NFC.

They have to... not to mention if was stupid not to do it for iPhone 5, in the first place. I mean, by next september (unless Apple changes it's phone cycle), NFC will be BIG. :pac:

If they do bring another phone out in 6 months, then that's a bit of a cheap shot by Apple in my opinion. I mean, the BB9900 is NFC enabled and it's over a year old!

If they do bring another phone out in 6 months, then that's a bit of a cheap shot by Apple in my opinion. I mean, the BB9900 is NFC enabled and it's over a year old!

yep, if they do that, Apple will lose it's... dignity. :D

This one actually hasn't been posted 20 times. :D

• Advertisement

Then stop following the Android hive mind by coming into forums about Apple products where the users of those products want to talk about the products or about the sales. This includes being critical, however the petulant "what's it to you" is unneeded.

The odd thing about this thread is not apple users discussing a new release, which is what the thread is for, but the need of people who are tribally into the other side to pop in. That's the new cult.

Duggy how about we all just send our posts to you first for pre-moderation ?

Or do you want our UID's ??

Reported for back seat modding

Duggy how about we all just send our posts to you first for pre-moderation ?

Or do you want our UID's ??

Reported for back seat modding

I didn't mod any post. I merely commented on how crazy the Android hive mind is. A comnentary similar to your "tribal" comment except specific to Android fans You won't find me in the Android sub-fora because I don't care.

Dades wrote: »
    No, they won't. Next iPhone is 12 months away. Any nonsense you read otherwise is exactly that.

How can you be so sure??

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

How can you be so sure??
    This is not android where they have a dozen hardware manufacturers releasing handsets every month.

Apart from the predictable pattern of release Apple have going on, they've just taken two years to make a relevant upgrade to the iP4 - so they're hardly going to release another phone a few months later. They'll be hard pressed to even keep up with demand for the 5 on it's own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭kenyard

This is not android where they have a dozen hardware manufacturers releasing handsets every month.

Apart from the predictable pattern of release Apple have going on, they've just taken two years to make a relevant upgrade to the iP4 - so they're hardly going to release another phone a few months later. They'll be hard pressed to even keep up with demand for the 5 on it's own.

thats because they get specific parts from specific companies..samsung make the processor, LG the screen etc..(so i believe) its not hard contract out manufacture of other parts to other companies etc.. and an alternative phone would probably be different size, spec etc.. so quite easy for manufacturers to produce elsewhere...
    doesnt make sense though.. even if they have an alternate phone, its just gonna split the marketshare apple already has between these people rather than take on a huge % more.. so it makes sense to overcharge for the current phone and just give one option.
    russia tried a similar system back in the day afaik...of course that was forced on people, they didnt have to pay...

You could argue the reason they've taken so long in making a relevant upgrade is to bring out successive handsets in a matter of well under a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

You could argue the reason they've taken so long in making a relevant upgrade is to bring out successive handsets in a matter of well under a year.

It would be a terrible marketing strategy that goes completely against the system they run now. As has been said already. They will lose their dignity if they release phones twice a year.

People werent really impressed as much as they should have been with the 5. Market is flooded with powerful phones way too much for that anymore. Its not that Apple is getting worse its that everything else is getting better.

They need to move into other markets if they want to cause any surprises. Probably wont be TV as i think its way too expensive. There wont be much demand for a 2k TV that probably wont be much better than anything available now. I seriously think a Console would be a good move. Something like ad supported free games or something else revolutionary.

What happens when Google Glass launches properly? Will they just copy Google. Google will surely be patenting up so much that it will be near impossible to copy without being sued. We will have to see.

Apple = communism.

I can't see that the biggest company in the mobile space will never ever have 2 models a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

Apple = communism.

I can't see that the biggest company in the mobile space will never ever have 2 models a year.

Thought just crossed my mind of a Phablet but hardly.

Still wouldnt explain this theory of NFC being left out to put it in something else.

• Advertisement

The console is a good idea though, it's just an upgrade to the Apple TV which allows games purchased on the iPod touch, iPad or phone - or bought on the console - to be played without AirPlay.

I think the TV will happen. It will include the console/atv code internally and have dvr and some deal with the US networks. US only. To begin.

The margins there will allow lower iPhone pricing. It's not just margins but raw numbers - if you get 50% on a 2K tv it's worth more to overall margins than 50% on a $150 console.

Advertisement