Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 5 - Discussion [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Apple TV is definitely on the way, they're probably restraining themselves as long as possible to polish up the technology.

This is basically how Apple run their products - they're first to market, corner the market make a ****load of money while the competitors take their time catching up. It's worked over so many product lines for them and they've never retained the dominant market position. It's quite a difficult position to hold without massive fluctuations in your share price.

I don't think Apple are going to fight to keep their share of either the smartphone or tablet markets. As someone else mentioned earlier it will end up being a race to have the best tech at the cost of losing your margin.

Apple TV will basically be a convergence of a load of existing technologies (because that's what their products are) and a relaunch of a great idea which was a bit ahead of its time (again, this is what Apple do). The holy grail of home entertainment has for the last ten years been the all-in-one device that will let you watch TV, play games, play music, browse the web, etc etc.
    The first of these were basically PCs with huge screens and ridiculous input devices. But now the technology is all lined up and Apple are poised to take the market;

A 30 and/or 40 inch TV, running iOS and with a few hundred GBs hard drive. Inbuilt DVR, ability to play the entire catalogue of iOS games, iTunes, Safari. Input is through iPhone, iPad, iRemote (:D), or a really nicely implemented motion-sense system. Inbuilt camera for facetime, touch screen interface if you need it. The technology is there right now. It'll be an expensive device, but touted as the only entertainment device you'll need, to replace your TV, DVR, BD player, Xbox, playstation, PC & stereo all in one go.

This is how Apple operates: create the market, suck up all the cream, then step back and let everyone else fight over the small margins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

2 million per orders in the first 60 minutes people.

What more do you want? Sharks with freakin' laser beams? :eek:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Sharks with frickin' FM radios... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

I don't agree they don't care about market share. They totally protect their iPod share - for instance keeping the old iPod touch at $199 to close the price umbrella.

In fact you can say they never lose share when dominant ( and no, neither the iPhone or Mac or Apple II were dominant).

Dades wrote: »
    Sharks with frickin' FM radios... :pac:

Yeah I don't understand why they don't put it in (or enable it). They have it in the touch, now with a pvr function. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

seamus wrote: »
    Apple TV is definitely on the way, they're probably restraining themselves as long as possible to polish up the technology.

Realistically would you buy a TV for 2 or 3 k that has the same technology that you already have. 50 inch retina screen with no content of that resolution. Pretty much paying just to lose a few cables. They wont have this dream all access watch anything anytime package because the entertainment industry just wont give it to them. Why would they? Apple TV isnt great and thats all its gonna be built into a TV.
    mad muffin wrote: »
    2 million per orders in the first 60 minutes people.

Not as big a deal as you think and ill tell you why.

How many phone companies where just sitting there waiting to fill an order? Its not like a concert where actual people sit on Ticketmaster refreshing their screen and then rush to order.

Id love to see Apple just release something completely new and innovative. Console is the only lowish priced, affordable by the masses piece of equipment. Its a natural progression from a a not very impressive Media player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭Jofspring

murpho999 wrote: »
    I find you're contradicting yourself a bit.

Why would a person need to sync an iPad if they just use it for browsing and content use, Netlfix etc.

No sync requirement then.

Cause I still feel a lot would need it for syncing their Music, Videos and backing it up so a laptop/pc will never be completely useless. The days of everyone in the house having a personal computer are probably gone though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Media999 wrote: »

Same ol' same ol' same ol'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

DubDJ wrote: »
    Yeah I agree. I can't understand why people feel the need to go out of their way to hate on something they don't like for whatever reason. Using this thread for example. Why so much hate. I'd never go over to the Android forum and start saying how **** the OS is. I like iOS, that's where it ends. Not a big fan of Android.... but i'm not going to go and start hating on their choice. Live and Let Live is what I say. Fair enough with the genuine people who've been comparing the phone to others etc. But the blatant hate from some people is just pathetic.

This is not aimed at anybody in particular or from this thread. Just talking generalities here.

It's a psychological thing ... envy is a very powerful and corrosive emotion. And when envy is mixed with an inability to afford what they crave ... a small amount of sad people turn to hate.

They hate what they crave but cannot have. It's that simple :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭scary

Piliger wrote: »
    It's a psychological thing ... envy is a very powerful and corrosive emotion. And when envy is mixed with an inability to afford what they crave ... a small amount of sad people turn to hate.

Yoda?

• Advertisement

BanjoB wrote: »
    The fanboyism for both apple and android littered throughout this thread is cringeworthy to read.

Agreed 100%

I have the iPhone 4 but can't see myself getting the iPhone 5. Simple things that every other phone has are missing and Apple's insistence on being proprietary is starting to do my head in. I can understand why previous phones used the 30-pin dock connector (to retain compatibility with iPod docks and cables) but now that there is a standard connector out there - i.e. micro USB - why didn't they just use it like everyone else did?

Not to mention the brand snobbery, yes I might have an iPhone but I don't broadcast it to the world at every waking moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Piliger wrote: »

In all fairness a lot have S3's and they're the same price. I think they just do it for no good reason and half the time they're trying to convince themselves that the phone is bad never mind others.

Karsini wrote: »
    Agreed 100%

I have the iPhone 4 but can't see myself getting the iPhone 5. Simple things that every other phone has are missing and Apple's insistence on being proprietary is starting to do my head in. I can understand why previous phones used the 30-pin dock connector (to retain compatibility with iPod docks and cables) but now that there is a standard connector out there - i.e. micro USB - why didn't they just use it like everyone else did?

Not to mention the brand snobbery, yes I might have an iPhone but I don't broadcast it to the world at every waking moment.

Will you broadcast your S3? This cliche is getting old and is the reversal of the truth. A sample of iPhone users at work I did today saw that most people - myself included - will not update to the iPhone 5 immediately or at all. I am on a 2 year contracting No "broadcasting" there. In the meantime in the last few weeks the Android lovers have bought 4 devices between them - between about 10 people - and boy do they broadcast it.

That's where the "brand snobbery" comes from these days, particularly amongst a type of geek.

Realistically would you buy a TV for 2 or 3 k that has the same technology that you already have. 50 inch retina screen with no content of that resolution. Pretty much paying just to lose a few cables. They wont have this dream all access watch anything anytime package because the entertainment industry just wont give it to them. Why would they? Apple TV isnt great and thats all its gonna be built into a TV.

How many phone companies where just sitting there waiting to fill an order? Its not like a concert where actual people sit on Ticketmaster refreshing their screen and then rush to order.

Id love to see Apple just release something completely new and innovative. Console is the only lowish priced, affordable by the masses piece of equipment. Its a natural progression from a a not very impressive Media player.

These orders were direct retail only, and one country only, as far as I know. Carriers get from different stock and Apple supplies it's own shops of course on release day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Will somebody break the bad news to Fox (43secs in)

Will you broadcast your S3?
    Did I say anything about an S3? The answer is no anyway, because I don't treat a phone like a fashion statement. I've no experience with Android at all so I certainly couldn't be considered to be on their side. Trying to argue with a fanboy, irrespective of what side they're on, is like talking to a brick wall.

However, I am uncomfortable with Apple's action in the courts recently, it seems to be that they're trying to patent the concept of a touch screen smartphone and wipe out the competition. They have the potential to be worse than Microsoft at this stage.

Nyet Commrade.

These are retail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,533 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Jofspring wrote: »
    Cause I still feel a lot would need it for syncing their Music, Videos and backing it up so a laptop/pc will never be completely useless. The days of everyone in the house having a personal computer are probably gone though.

Why sync though.

If you start if with iPad and get all content through iTunes then you already have it backed up.

Cloud services are a possibility as well.

I mean this now for average users who just use it for e-mail & surfiings.

Pensioners for example, who love the simplicity of iPads would not want a laptop/pc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭Jofspring

murpho999 wrote: »
    Why sync though.

If you start if with iPad and get all content through iTunes then you already have it backed up.

Cloud services are a possibility as well.

I mean this now for average users who just use it for e-mail & surfiings.

Pensioners for example, who love the simplicity of iPads would not want a laptop/pc.

Fair enough if your just starting out but I would think most people would have old cds, downloads, videos and photos on their computers and would like to put them on their iPads. Would cost a small fortune to only download music and videos from iTunes no?

I agree about pensioners etc… thats why I agree the iPad will be a replacement for a lot but will still be needed in some capacity to sync up etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

sunspider.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭keith_d99

A good point raised in one of the early (otherwise positive) reviews:

"Consider the windshield wipers on a car, and how, because they swing circularly, they can't reach the passenger-side top corner. Using the iPhone 5 is like that. There are two specific touch targets where this gives me trouble, both of which I invoke frequently. First, back buttons in the top left corner. I keep mis-tapping underneath them with my fully-outstretched thumb and then need to subtly re-grip the phone so that my thumb can reach. Second, tapping the status bar to scroll to the top of the current view. The top-left back-button issue is only a problem when holding the iPhone 5 one-handed in my right hand, but, I'm right-handed and so that's the hand I tend to use it with."

Would have preffered if they had left the screen size alone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

keith_d99 wrote: »
    A good point raised in one of the early (otherwise positive) reviews:

"Consider the windshield wipers on a car, and how, because they swing circularly, they can't reach the passenger-side top corner. Using the iPhone 5 is like that. There are two specific touch targets where this gives me trouble, both of which I invoke frequently. First, back buttons in the top left corner. I keep mis-tapping underneath them with my fully-outstretched thumb and then need to subtly re-grip the phone so that my thumb can reach. Second, tapping the status bar to scroll to the top of the current view. The top-left back-button issue is only a problem when holding the iPhone 5 one-handed in my right hand, but, I'm right-handed and so that's the hand I tend to use it with."

Would have preffered if they had left the screen size alone

The thing that concerns me about that is, John Gruber, the guy who wrote that, is one who gives most praise to Apple. If he's having issues like that, I'm sure a few others will too..

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭petiha

What I read in a few reviews, is that because the phone is now thinner, it is not harder to touch the back button in the top left-hand corner. It might look hard to touch, but the thinnes compromises for that. :)

Well, that's what they said in reviews anyway. We all have to do hands-on first, to make up an opinion. :pac:

srumball wrote: »
    sunspider.jpg

beat that! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Will somebody break the bad news to Fox (43secs in)

In all fairness if the iPhone had those features and looked like that i'd be first in line :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

petiha wrote: »
    beat that! :rolleyes:

Wonder what other browsers give,

I'm not a fan of safari i use chrome on my iPad

Kenno90 wrote: »
    Wonder what other browsers give,

I'm not a fan of safari i use chrome on my iPad

I think Safari is the best stock mobile browser... and I definitely find it the best browser for iOS. I tried Chrome (and I use Chrome on my PC, and laptop) but didn't like it on iOS... :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

The reason why Chrome is quite slow in comparison is due to how Apple deals with Webkit in it's SDK. Only Safari as far as I know uses the fast JS engine, while the SDK browser (UIWebView) that developers have access to is much slower.Its a pain, but thats how it is..

Advertisement