Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 5 - Discussion [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭petiha

miralize wrote: »
    The reason why Chrome is quite slow in comparison is due to how Apple deals with Webkit in it's SDK. Only Safari as far as I know uses the fast JS engine, while the SDK browser (UIWebView) that developers have access to is much slower.Its a pain, but thats how it is..

I'd rather use Chrome if it was as fast as Safari... but clearly, Safari is more optimised: http://bit.ly/S4DDSi :(

I find it weird how nobody posted the unboxing of the iPhone 5 yet :confused:

I really like the black box by the way. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

The official iOS 6 release is confirmed to be 6 pm here

1ZRed wrote: »
    The official iOS 6 release is confirmed to be 6 pm here

are you updating? :)

petiha wrote: »
    are you updating? :)
    Yeah I said I'd might as well wait for today.
    Apparently expect a lot of errors like last years frustrating update. Bar that, should be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

have the GM beta isntalled, guess i wil have to update after 6pm too. Do you know will it be OTA update?

Yeah I said I'd might as well wait for today.
    Apparently expect a lot of errors like last years frustrating update. Bar that, should be fine.

With all the people updating, expect issues while updating. :(

all_the_things.png

Hmm. Seems like the update could be as soon as 5 pm today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Hmm. Seems like the update could be as soon as 5 pm today.

Nearly sure iOS 5 was like 3-4pm. I'm hoping it goes off earlier so I can get there before everyone gets off work and starts crashing servers.

Estimated world times for iOS 6.

Pretty indepth iPhone 5 review

Seems very positive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

DubDJ wrote: »
    Nearly sure iOS 5 was like 3-4pm. I'm hoping it goes off earlier so I can get there before everyone gets off work and starts crashing servers.

nothing yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Timothy Bryce

as for "how unsuccesful the new iPhone will be" - http://bit.ly/RfEpSf

yeah, everyone is switching to android & windows phone :rolleyes:

25214.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

Got a call from Meteor today because I'm due an upgrade and they wanted to know what I was planning on doing. I told them I wanted to wait for the iPhone 5. The woman told me that they did not know how many iPhones they would be getting in and that they would be available to those who had registered there interest on a 1st come 1st serve basis.

Just thought I'd share.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭Jofspring

I've been entitled an upgrade for a while now and keep getting calls from meteor trying to get me to upgrade ASAP. I kept telling them I was waiting for the iPhone 5 and was in no rush to upgrade and they kept telling me the iPhone 5 wouldn't be out till at least next year. Glad I was keeping track cause I'm sure they caught a few people out that wouldn't have known any better.

I have registered my interest online but don't see how they are doing it on first come first serve. Nothing offical was done barr giving my e-mail and phone number. I presume they will just e-mail the first 100 or so that registered interest. Might not even take it regardless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Jofspring wrote: »
    I've been entitled an upgrade for a while now and keep getting calls from meteor trying to get me to upgrade ASAP. I kept telling them I was waiting for the iPhone 5 and was in no rush to upgrade and they kept telling me the iPhone 5 wouldn't be out till at least next year. Glad I was keeping track cause I'm sure they caught a few people out that wouldn't have known any better.

I have registered my interest online but don't see how they are doing it on first come first serve. Nothing offical was done barr giving my e-mail and phone number. I presume they will just e-mail the first 100 or so that registered interest. Might not even take it regardless.

They will probably just mail everyone on the list and its first come first served from who replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭leemaree

How do i know when IOS 6 has been released?

A lot of reviewers are criticising the small and slightly awkward new screen. It's more a draw back to them, but I think it's a valid one considering there isn't at all much of a major difference in size between some of the biggest phones on the market and the iPhone 5.

archimedes_35438535_51_610x436.jpg

leemaree wrote: »
    How do i know when IOS 6 has been released?

Go into settings -> general -> software update.

It's available now

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Jimdagym wrote: »
    They will probably just mail everyone on the list and its first come first served from who replies.
    I'd no more rely on a network emailing me with details about how to get a sought-after phone than I'd rely on them to mail me to tell me my house was burning down.

Bricks and mortar shops and hope you get your timing right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Dades wrote: »
    I'd no more rely on a network emailing me with details about how to get a sought-after phone than I'd rely on them to mail me to tell me my house was burning down.

Couldnt agree more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Qwerty Dub

Dades wrote: »

+1

There will be enough people chasing them without them needing to chase us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Samsungs new ad takes another few shots at Apple

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Samsungs new ad takes another few shots at Apple

I'd love Apple to reply to these ad's with ones of their own. Be very funny to watch. Like the old PC v Mac rivalry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Got email today from Apple to say my pre-ordered Iphone 5 is shipped....

Yippee....:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

I'd love Apple to reply to these ad's with ones of their own. Be very funny to watch. Like the old PC v Mac rivalry.

I don't think they should... they should leave Samsung play their immature game, which gives them a repulsive image. (in my opinion) :confused:

I don't think they should... they should leave Samsung play their immature game, which gives them a repulsive image. (in my opinion) :confused:

To me it's Apple who have the repulsive image. Throwing their toys out of the pram because they have competition now... oh wait... that's what they did when Windows was released.

Got the new update for my iPad. So far safari is like lightning! Not very substantial OS release but I'm finding a lot of handy little features in it as I'm going along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

They cant really reply to that though can they, that video tells the truth, Yes i have an iphone always have, but that phone pretty much has everything iphone 5 has and more, plus its been around for months.

Just saying it as how it is

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    They cant really reply to that though can they, that video tells the truth, Yes i have an iphone always have, but that phone pretty much has everything iphone 5 has and more, plus its been around for months.

Just saying it as how it is

Both phones have exclusive features. S3 has features iPhone doesn't... iPhone has features S3 doesn't. But for the most part they are similar. Although it's truthful... they leave out AirPlay, iMessage etc. 3rd party apps do a lot for these phones too. It's like the recent ad they posted online comparing the iPhone 5 to the S3. And somebody altered it with iPhone alternatives and stuff that the S3 doesn't have.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Ah, it's all a bit of a laugh.

Advertisement