Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 5 - Discussion [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST]

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

dmcg90 wrote: »
    Three in Galway (Shop St) are now taking pre-orders, I was about 8th on the list after the sign going up this morning. They did say to be early in the store (around 8am) and also that they would probably not be stocking accessories).
    If it's a real pre-order you shouldn't need to be there at 8am. Sounds like they don't really know what their own plan is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Anyone care to hazard a guess, as to why you can buy, a lightning to micro USB adaptor in the UK Apple Store, but not the Irish one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Dades wrote: »
    If it's a real pre-order you shouldn't need to be there at 8am. Sounds like they don't really know what their own plan is!

There was a *Terms and Conditions sign up.

I'll upload a pic later tonight hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,327 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Prices are up on the UK Site, Converting using XE live prices it's:

16GB - €661.99
    32GB - €749.99
    64GB - €874.99

http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/shop_iphone/family/iphone/iphone5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭dmcg90

£661? Better save €679 just in case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Local three store accepting pre orders tomorrow. They're getting pricing & stock info this evening *apparently*. Will be calling them in an hour to be sure. Local carphone warehouse confirmed they will have stock on launch but billpay only.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

16GB - €661.99
    32GB - €749.99
    64GB - €874.99

Haven't they been there since last week?

16gb is the only one that went up in price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,327 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

There won't be pre-orders tomorrow, just expressions of interest but get your name down as soon as you can, Today even, they can always call you back tomorrow when they know more.
    I know people with there names down in stores months ago. Getting one on launch day could be a problem at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

16GB - €661.99
    32GB - €749.99
    64GB - €874.99

We'll be getting the european pricing - €679/€789/€899

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

Just had to post this excellent samsung Apple fanbios standing in line satirical ad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=nf5-Prx19ZM

Brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭petiha

Haha, that's nice. Apple maps. :pac:

bit.ly/UhiGKc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Just had to post this excellent samsung Apple fanbios standing in line satirical ad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=nf5-Prx19ZM

Brilliant.

could have sworn i saw that on this very thread, 24 hours ago..... oh wait, i did.

still amusing though. esp the "iphones are for old people" dig.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭MuddyDog

Apple Ireland store is down for me atm.

MuddyDog wrote: »
    Apple Ireland store is down for me atm.

Not for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭WillyWonka

Interesting article on apples approach.

http://techcrunch.com/2012/09/13/the-iphone-5-event/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

1ZRed wrote: »
    I don't get the appeal of windows phone. I think I'd rather go to android instead. App support wouldn't be as good initially no?

I have a SG3 and iPhone 4S. Quite simply unimpressed with the iPhone 5s old technology and no way in hell am i forking out 500 + for it. SG3 is better in my opinion anyway.

Windows Phone is exciting to me. I couldnt really care about a load of crap apps that android and iPhone are full of. They boast about having 700k apps when 699k apps are complete junk or copies of other apps.

Nokia has better spec than both phones and physically looks better to me aswell. It also wont be restricted to the point of boredom like the iPhone.

Its also at the point now where switching between Android and iPhone is pointless as they have the same apps and usability.

Media999 wrote: »
    I have a SG3 and iPhone 4S. Quite simply unimpressed with the iPhone 5s old technology and no way in hell am i forking out 500 + for it. SG3 is better in my opinion anyway.

Windows Phone is exciting to me. I couldnt really care about a load of crap apps that android and iPhone are full of. They boast about having 700k apps when 699k apps are complete junk or copies of other apps.

Nokia has better spec than both phones and physically looks better to me aswell. It also wont be restricted to the point of boredom like the iPhone.

Its also at the point now where switching between Android and iPhone is pointless as they have the same apps and usability.

I'm affraid you have zero idea of what you are talking about ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

petiha wrote: »
    I don't think they should... they should leave Samsung play their immature game, which gives them a repulsive image. (in my opinion) :confused:

You do know Apple were doing this same thing many many years ago, right?

Remember the whole Mac vs PC things?

The Samsung ad is a little joke, and is actually quite true. I showed it to quite a number of colleagues and friends who are die hard Apple fans, and they had to admit it was funny and quite accurate.

Piliger wrote: »
    Could, might, possible. Won't.

Really ? Check out this one out of hundreds of similar reports:

"Cold hard numbers now show that Apple's iPad is indeed cannibalizing the traditional PC market--and laptops in particular. BusinessWeek reported today that global laptop sales have collapsed, from pre-iPad double-digit growth rates to just 1 percent in the first quarter of 2011. As industry analysts cut PC sales forecasts even further, competition is going to be tougher for computer manufacturers."

You don't say .......Check this out:

Electronic Arts CEO John Riccitiello said:
    "Consoles used to be 80% of the industry as recently as 2000. Consoles today are 40% of the game industry, so what do we really have? I think that the pattern against which Nintendo is no longer resonating is over anyway. We have a new hardware platform and we’re putting out software every 90 days. Our fastest growing platform is the iPad right now and that didn’t exist 18 months ago."

Dont understand what point your trying to make by quoting others.

Are you saying Microsoft wont make a phone that syncs with the 360?

Are you trying to say iPad is the new gaming machine? Nonsense.

Also as i said. Im in college and i literally havent seen one person use an ipad in a lecture where every 3rd person has a laptop with them. Thats enough proof for me that iPads will never replace laptops. You cant even write on the ****ing thing.

Tower PCs are gone out of fashion. Laptops are cheap and powerful. Youre telling me thats down to the iPad and nothing else.

Speak for yourself rather than just quote others and add a couple of words.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭steven087

anyone guess on how much they will be with three on a 18 and 24 month contracts and will it be 40 euro a month like 4s

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

petiha wrote: »
    Haha, that's nice. Apple maps. :pac:

bit.ly/UhiGKc

I don't know what's more retarded here. The fact that anyone would be out for a spin using their new "turn by turn feature" and randomly decide to land their feckin plane at a nice airfield without looking straight ahead of themselves or that this gob****e genuinely believes such a crash could ever happen :rolleyes:

The minister for justice, this lad is a winner!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭Jofspring

I would be seriously worried if I was on a plane and the pilot was using maps on his iphone to find an airfield for landing. What kind of a clown is Alan Shatter. Is there not bigger things to be worrying about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

Jofspring wrote: »
    I would be seriously worried if I was on a plane and the pilot was using maps on his iphone to find an airfield for landing. What kind of a clown is Alan Shatter. Is there not bigger things to be worrying about.

The kind that is made from pure bull**** and candy floss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

holy moley...what planet is the man on....

A plane could attempt to land in an emergency...

he obviously has no understanding of how aviation works...you dont just fly to a country, contact no one...no control tower...stick on your iphone and land at the nearest airport...

on a positive note, my iphone5 has shipped and is to be here tomorrow...

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

he obviously has no understanding of how aviation works...you dont just fly to a country, contact no one...no control tower...stick on your iphone and land at the nearest airport...

To be fair, in an epsiode of Fr Ted you could see it happening.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Media999 wrote: »

My son has an SG3 because his GF gave it to him when she begged her father and got a 4S. He hates it and when I used it for half a day it was utter crap.

Nokia .... LOL ... you having a giraffe !!!:D

He is saving up to buy a 4S of his own and I'll be getting a 5 from Apple asap :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

holy moley...what planet is the man on....

A plane could attempt to land in an emergency...

on a positive note, my iphone5 has shipped and is to be here tomorrow...

The clowns here obviously have no clue about local pilots who fly small cessna's and the like, or gliders, and who sometimes use these maps for navigation. They often operate wholly locally or from the UK and could easily lose radio contact and rely on their gadget maps.

Shatter is right on the money.

The sick sh1th**d who wrote the article linked is another matter. His following quote is really inspiring:

"As a citizen of Ireland and a man whom, like many of his countrymen, stumbles around dangerously drunk almost all of the time ......"

My son has an SG3 because his GF gave it to him when she begged her father and got a 4S. He hates it and when I used it for half a day it was utter crap.

He is saving up to buy a 4S of his own and I'll be getting a 5 from Apple asap :)

Should you not be using one of those phones with the giant buttons at your age? :D

Headphone socket at the bottom WWWWowww

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Hurricane Carter

Christ. This is what's procreating... :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

The clowns here obviously have no clue about local pilots who fly small cessna's and the like, or gliders, and who sometimes use these maps for navigation. They often operate wholly locally or from the UK and could easily lose radio contact and rely on their gadget maps.

Shatter is right on the money.

The sick sh1th**d who wrote the article linked is another matter. His following quote is really inspiring:

"As a citizen of Ireland and a man whom, like many of his countrymen, stumbles around dangerously drunk almost all of the time ......"
    Seriously? There are idiots who rely on free, preinstalled maps data on their phone to fly by? And they got pilot licences? And if they where to lose radio contact, how come they still manage to have 3G reception to download the maps? If you are going to rely on your phone to fly, the least you could do would be to pay for a dedicated app that allows you to download and store the maps on the device.

Advertisement