Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 5 - Discussion [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,533 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

The prices on 3 are crazy.

Even with a contract of €40 a month you'd have to cough up €319, €419or €519 for a 16, 32 or 64gb.

Mad

Why are iPhones so much more expensive than iPads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

murpho999 wrote: »

Even with a contract of €40 a month you'd have to cough up €319, €419or €519 for a 16, 32 or 64gb.

Mad

€139 , €239, €339 on a 24 month contact, the prices you posted are for an 18 month contact

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

Mad

On 18month contract.
    It's 139 for 24months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

You's think the 3 plans are good value?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,533 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

€139 , €239, €339 on a 24 month contact, the prices you posted are for an 18 month contact
    On 18month contract.
    It's 139 for 24months.

Fair enough my mistake.

Even so they're still expensive.

Last year got 4s 64GB, 2 year contract for €99 upfront and €50 per month.

(Yes, I do know that extra €10 per month =€240, so €240+99= €399!)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 448 ✭✭tunedout

so €240+99= €399!

If I give you €240 and then €99, will you give me back €399 ?

I could meet you anywhere in Dublin city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Mad

3 are not subsidising iPhone as heavily as before, they have been losing a small fortune every year since they entered the Irish market, they are trying to claw back their investment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

iFixit tear down the iPhone 5 and confirm the edges will be prone to scuffing.

One Guy took the sim paperclip thingy and did this to the back of an iPhone 5 in store unit.

It shows that the black aluminium can fade :(

1zoykg7.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I think for a light-medium user (like myself), going into a 18/24 month contract is very poor value.

I don't need 600 minutes or texts! 1 GB of data per month is plenty, probably way more than I'd actually use. Therefore, a light user ends up paying €45-€60 per month when a €20 30-day SIM only plan would be more than sufficient... You end up paying the full price of the phone (probably a good bit more overall) over the course of the 24 months.

For a heavy user though, I can see the benefit of going for a €60 p/m deal and getting the phone fairly cheaply then.

JoeA3 wrote: »
    I think for a light-medium user (like myself), going into a 18/24 month contract is very poor value.

I don't need 600 minutes or texts! 1 GB of data per month is plenty, probably way more than I'd actually use. Therefore, a light user ends up paying €45-€60 per month when a €20 30-day SIM only plan would be more than sufficient... You end up paying the full price of the phone (probably a good bit more overall) over the course of the 24 months.

For a heavy user though, I can see the benefit of going for a €60 p/m deal and getting the phone fairly cheaply then.

Of course you end up paying more than the value of the device over the 24 months, how else do you think the network is supposed to make money?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Of course you end up paying more than the value of the device over the 24 months, how else do you think the network is supposed to make money?

I'm fully aware of that, I wasn't trying to be a smart arse.

My point simply was, that I think a lot of people get drawn into the "FREE" handset offers without fully realising they are entering a very lengthy contract with minutes/text/data that likely way exceed what they actually need.

So, buying direct from Apple and then having the freedom to swap networks as you please to get the best cheapest offers as they come along makes a lot of sense - to me at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

Kenno90 wrote: »
    One Guy took the sim paperclip thingy and did this to the back of an iPhone 5 in store unit.

1zoykg7.jpg

That's shockingly bad for a €700 phone

Going to wait and see if the white has the same issues. If it does I won't be buying a 5. Resale value will be terrible on these in a year or more time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Kenno90 wrote: »

1zoykg7.jpg

Was it an actual phone or was it one of the plastic dummy phones?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭davenewt

L5 wrote: »
    That's shockingly bad for a €700 phone
    Why? You could scratch a €100,000 car just the same.
    Going to wait and see if the white has the same issues. If it does I won't be buying a 5. Resale value will be terrible on these in a year or more time.
    But look after it and it might be worth more than the average.

I'm fully aware of that, I wasn't trying to be a smart arse.

My point simply was, that I think a lot of people get drawn into the "FREE" handset offers without fully realising they are entering a very lengthy contract with minutes/text/data that likely way exceed what they actually need.

So, buying direct from Apple and then having the freedom to swap networks as you please to get the best cheapest offers as they come along makes a lot of sense - to me at least.

I totally agree with you :), people are obsessed with getting a "FREE" phone, irregardless of the minumin monthly commitment or contract length.

I think with this iPhone, I will be buying direct from Apple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭digitaldr

I'm off to pick up a 3 prepay sim - want to check coverage before committing to an 18 month contract - assuming iphone5 reception is similar to my unlocked iphone4. Can't see Apple doing any major upgrade in the next 18 months - at most just a 5S and I didn't bother with the 4S. I've done the sums and it looks like going with 3 would work out cheaper than my current unlimited everything tesco mobile €35 pm plan + iphone5 from Apple. Does anyone now if 3 unlock iPhones like O2 does?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

davenewt wrote: »
    Why? You could scratch a €100,000 car just the same.

But look after it and it might be worth more than the average.

Try doing the same on an iPhone 4 and there won't be a scratch.
    My iPhone 4 is 2 years old and there's not a single mark on it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

digitaldr wrote: »
    I'm off to pick up a 3 prepay sim - want to check coverage before committing to an 18 month contract - assuming iphone5 reception is similar to my unlocked iphone4. Can't see Apple doing any major upgrade in the next 18 months - at most just a 5S and I didn't bother with the 4S. I've done the sums and it looks like going with 3 would work out cheaper than my current unlimited everything tesco mobile €35 pm plan + iphone5 from Apple. Does anyone now if 3 unlock iPhones like O2 does?

3 make you wait until the end of your contract

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭davenewt

Try doing the same on an iPhone 4 and there won't be a scratch. My iPhone 4 is 2 years old and there's not a single mark on it.
    Ditto, although not sure I'd want to test scratching it :)

Swings and roundabouts - thinner and lighter (plus whatever other engineering benefits) vs. glass on the back again? You can see why they've done it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I totally agree with you :), people are obsessed with getting a "FREE" phone, irregardless of the minumin monthly commitment or contract length.

I think with this iPhone, I will be buying direct from Apple.

To be honest I think people are obsessed with not being in a contract. Time after time people ignore the actual texts/calls/data they get for the monthly contract as well as the free phone...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Qwerty Dub

Even if i bought a phone from Apple I would still need my existing plan so I may as well commit for 24mths and get it free. Each to their own. I only upgrade in every second cycle anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Harcrid

A lot of people would not have €700 to hand to buy a phone outright so use the contract option as a sort of finance deal. A few quid up front and €40 a month is financially a better option for them.

whiterebel wrote: »
    3 make you wait until the end of your contract

That's grand as wouldn't be selling before then anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

In terms of dropping the new iPhone it seems to be holding up well. However the scratches on the back of the Black model from the previous photo's are a big downside imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Hence my choice, with 48.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

DubDJ wrote: »
    In terms of dropping the new iPhone it seems to be holding up well. However the scratches on the back of the Black model from the previous photo's are a big downside imo.
    I think those videos are quite pointless. After all drops, bar the last, he said it "survived" and was fine. Of course it would, my iPhone 4 was hit concrete while I was running many times and it didn't even shatter a bit. It survived easily.
    The only thing that happened is it got a few very small chips in it as well as some slight damage to the metal band. Nothing major at all. This video doesn't pick up on those little things. He was only interested in shattering or breaking the screen or backing.
    I'd like to see how the iPhone would cope with chips/scratches from falling and that stuff rather than focusing on big damages considering I don't like using cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Qwerty Dub

After 6 phonecalls someone FINALLY gave me a price for my upgrade.

16GB (18mths) - €119
    16GB (24mths) - Free

32GB (18mths) - €219
    32GB (24mths) - €69

64GB (18mths) - €319
    64GB (24mths) - €169

Will probably go with the 32GB 24mth option despite still having 16GB free space on my current iPhone 4 (32GB).

Tis crazy, after i got a 'Pre-order with 3 NOW' email I made 3 phonecalls to 3 and only on the 3rd one did a rep admit they had prices done up and gave me them. How can 3 people probably sitting within 20ft of each other give conflicting info in the space of 5-7mins? Still not taking pre-orders though they say, despite sending out an email to the contrary.

According to 3's t & c they don't allow tethering :( Maybe it's one of the free add ons on their higher plans - can't seem to find a list of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Qwerty Dub wrote: »
    After 6 phonecalls someone FINALLY gave me a price for my upgrade.

16GB (18mths) - €119
    16GB (24mths) - Free

32GB (18mths) - €219
    32GB (24mths) - €69

64GB (18mths) - €319
    64GB (24mths) - €169

Will probably go with the 32GB 24mth option despite still having 16GB free space on my current iPhone 4 (32GB).

Tis crazy, after i got a 'Pre-order with 3 NOW' email I made 3 phonecalls to 3 and only on the 3rd one did a rep admit they had prices done up and gave me them. How can 3 people probably sitting within 20ft of each other give conflicting info in the space of 5-7mins? Still not taking pre-orders though they say, despite sending out an email to the contrary.

Is that some sort of super duper upgrade? Those prices are fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Anyone already with Three and thinking of upgrading, beware; you'll lose your free landline calls if you have them.

Advertisement