Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 5 - Discussion [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Qwerty Dub

Jimdagym wrote: »
    Is that some sort of super duper upgrade? Those prices are fantastic.

They are the upgrade prices if you are on the Ultimate Flex Max plan that I am on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Anyone already with Three and thinking of upgrading, beware; you'll lose your free landline calls if you have them.

Tis the way its supposed to be but I still don't get charged for my landline add on and I upgraded in the summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭Elessar

Any word on getting LTE in Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

Elessar wrote: »

Well everywhere else had it years so id say its due in Ireland maybe 2015.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Media999 wrote: »
    Well everywhere else had it years so id say its due in Ireland maybe 2015.
    Sad thing is, that's probably optimistic. Have they even set the date yet for auctioning off the bandwidth in Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Elessar wrote: »

LTE in Ireland will be nothing like the rest of the world. Other places are using 20MHZ bandwidth channels, here we're using 5MHZ. It's doomed before the spectrum is even auctioned. See Wattys post here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

DubDJ wrote: »
    In terms of dropping the new iPhone it seems to be holding up well. However the scratches on the back of the Black model from the previous photo's are a big downside imo.

Love it.
    Still Nothin...
    Still Nothin...
    Still Nothin...
    Still Nothin...
    HULK SMASH!!
    Got it!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Anyone already with Three and thinking of upgrading, beware; you'll lose your free landline calls if you have them.

You'll lose the free add-on anyway if there is an expiry on it. AYCED was for life, on my plan landline calls expired after a certain date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Any idea when Vodafone Ireland will have the nano-sims in stock?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭digitaldr

No need to wait for a nano sim - just cut down a regular one. Not sure I'd use a scissors though - lots of cutters available on eBay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

G-Money wrote: »
    Any idea when Vodafone Ireland will have the nano-sims in stock?

another poster in a different thread said they are now available

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Just bought 2 bumpers from Deal Extreme to try help with any proposed drops etc....... hope they arrive ASAP!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 cashisking85

Qwerty Dub wrote: »
    Jimdagym wrote: »
    Is that some sort of super duper upgrade? Those prices are fantastic.

They are the upgrade prices if you are on the Ultimate Flex Max plan that I am on.
    Were you able to pre order your upgrade with them? Missed a call from them there and now they are closed for the night!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

The new nano aims are actually smaller and thinner. So they need to be sanded down at the back supposedly.

I've already order adapters for micro and nano sim. And also a plain black rear case and screen protector. All should arrive before the iPhone anyway. Best to be prepared in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

Anyone notice any Irish towns missing from the half baked new mapping service?

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-19672981

If microsoft delivered such an update they would be rightly lambasted and the product panned. Apple can do it and people still drool over the item, absolutely amazing. Prepaired to spend over 700euro!

Plus this is not the first time; the iphone 4 had the dodgy antenna, the famous IOS alarm clock bug happened twice etc...

Amazing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

the famous IOS alarm clock bug happened twice etc...

Amazing!

You're gonna have to remind me about the "famous" clock bug. I must have been under a rock for that, 'cause 3 years with an iPhone my alarms went off like, well clock work...

The new nano aims are actually smaller and thinner. So they need to be sanded down at the back supposedly.

I've already order adapters for micro and nano sim. And also a plain black rear case and screen protector. All should arrive before the iPhone anyway. Best to be prepared in advance.

they dont. I cut 2 meteor micro sims today and they slotted straight into mine and my GF's iPhone 5 without sanding, filing etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Are these out here now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Ah well, I got an extra hour in bed out of it :P

• Advertisement

cloud493 wrote: »
    Are these out here now?

UK today
    IRL 28th September

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Larry206

Anyone know of any 64gb's for sale

Some of the Irish dodgy maps so far....

http://www.independent.ie/business/technology/apple-goes-way-off-course-in-map-mistake-3235793.html

Mixing up Temple Bar and the Zoo is understandable?

I would advise anyone using driving direction with an iPhone 5 mounted on the dash that maybe they need to dust off the old Garmin or Tom Tom though?

Chris Pirillo Hardcore Apple fan unimpressed with iPhone 5. He couldnt sound less excited if he tried.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAdG7Mhya4Q&feature=g-u-lsb

Anyone notice any Irish towns missing from the half baked new mapping service?

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-19672981

If microsoft delivered such an update they would be rightly lambasted and the product panned. Apple can do it and people still drool over the item, absolutely amazing. Prepaired to spend over 700euro!

Plus this is not the first time; the iphone 4 had the dodgy antenna, the famous IOS alarm clock bug happened twice etc...

Amazing!

The new Maps have been ridiculed all over the Internet and news. It's been really bad pr for Apple. People aren't drooling over them. They love the phone itself. The maps are only a small part of it. Some people don't even use them at all. I do occasionally maybe once every month or so. Not a deal breaker for me though. Also the antenna and clock problems didn't effect me in the slightest.

Because Apple are such a big company any small problem makes headlines. The percentage of users that were actually effected by this was probably less than 1% for all we know. But it's still massive

Heard something strange about the iPhone 5. Apple fused the 2 antennas together so you cant use voice and data at the same time. What was the point in that?

The new Maps have been ridiculed all over the Internet and news. It's been really bad pr for Apple. People aren't drooling over them. They love the phone itself. The maps are only a small part of it. Some people don't even use them at all. I do occasionally maybe once every month or so. Not a deal breaker for me though. Also the antenna and clock problems didn't effect me in the slightest.

Because Apple are such a big company any small problem makes headlines. The percentage of users that were actually effected by this was probably less than 1% for all we know. But it's still massive

Apple have over 100Billion in cash. The wealthiest company on the planet.

Its taken as a given that the modern day smart phone has sat nav with accurate turn by turn directions. Witness the demise of the dedicated SAT NAV. I would disagree strongly that its only used by a small few and is a trivial matter.

Also all current smartphones are used for city guide books, metro, train timetables and mapping.

Apple cannot just gloss over this and their grudge with google because of Android.

The real test will be the uptake of IOS6 on older iPhones will people voluntarily accept this new rubbish mapping system?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Media999 wrote: »
    Heard something strange about the iPhone 5. Apple fused the 2 antennas together so you cant use voice and data at the same time. What was the point in that?
    Not sure where you heard that, but it's wrong. It's only on CDMA networks that it can't do data and voice at the same time, there are no CDMA networks in Ireland or the UK, so any iPhone bought over in this part of the world won't have to worry about it. The reason for the CDMA limitation is because they'd have to redesign the antenna just for those networks, so it simply wasn't worth it.

Apple have over 100Billion in cash. The wealthiest company on the planet.

Its taken as a given that the modern day smart phone has sat nav with accurate turn by turn directions. Witness the demise of the dedicated SAT NAV. I would disagree strongly that its only used by a small few and is a trivial matter.

Also all current smartphones are used for city guide books, metro, train timetables and mapping.

Apple cannot just gloss over this and their grudge with google because of Android.

The real test will be the uptake of IOS6 on older iPhones will people voluntarily accept this new rubbish mapping system?

Google Maps are in the work for iOS devices. It's been confirmed by Google. It'll only be a matter of time as long as there aren't any problems with approval.

I honestly think its just another overreaction like it always is. They added a sub par maps app. It still works but with incorrect data. And the choice of using Google Maps through safari or chrome is still there. It's still one of the best smartphones on the market. I won't be loosing any sleep over it. I knew throughout the beta stages that maps were bad from the thread here on boards. I wasn expecting it to be perfect. Apple should label them as beta though. Same as they did with Siri. Coz it still is a product that needs a lot of work until it can match google maps. Which has already had almost 10 years of practice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Someone has this on sale on adverts for 999 euro :eek:

Advertisement