Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 5 - Discussion [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

It was meant to be.
    Can we both now stop thread spoiling and leave the thread for what it was meant for, discussing rumours and leaks about the new apple iphone?

Completely agree, Now lets watch a 20 minute video about what the home button will look like :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

It's hard to say, but the engineering detail seems a bit too good to be a mockup. I assume the two-tones on the back are different materials to help with antenna reception. The phone is longer but is also a lot thinner, which seems like a fair comprise. Moving the headphone port to the bottom and making the charging connector smaller seem like something Apple would do as well.
    I really wouldn't trust a video from a Chinese company that engineers and manufactures phone covers as being authentic. Creating something like that would be easy for them and would be in the hope of creating a getting a nice bit of traffic to their site!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

kippy wrote: »
    Kenno90 wrote: »

WOW, a piece of plasticwith an Apple on it.

I really dont get the obsessive compulsion there is with impending apple launches and the hype over a piece of backing plastic.......

Just throwing this out there....don't freak out.... But it's a piece of *me-tal* :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

ye, i knew it was metal , but didn't say anything :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24 PollyMe

The only thing holding me to iPhone is iMessage. Can't live without it now! Especially over here in Canada where text charges are outrageous!

Hi Zapp, Im moving to Canada in August and was thinking of buyin an iPhone so i can keep in touch with everyone at home on iMessage. I was just wondering would it be best to buy the iPhone in Ireland before I leave, or would I be better off getting it over there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

it's glass and metal fused together in a unibody shape. the top/bottom is glass (like the iphone 4) and the band across the middle is brushed aluminum like iMacs/macbooks.

gorgeous design even if it's not a million miles away from the iphone4 design (although personally think the white doesn't look as nice). i'll take glass/aluminum over cheap tacky plastic any day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

it's glass and metal fused together in a unibody shape. the top/bottom is glass (like the iphone 4) and the band across the middle is brushed aluminum like iMacs/macbooks.

gorgeous design even if it's not a million miles away from the iphone4 design (although personally think the white doesn't look as nice). i'll take glass/aluminum over cheap tacky plastic any day.

Where are you seeing that it's glass. I'll take a quality plastic over glass every time, it's a material that's far better suited to phones.

This new design answers my biggest complaints with the 4/4S i.e. the glass sandwich and the huge amount of bezel on the front, but now that I see it I just think it's fairly uninspired and boring. I just hope iOS finally get a radical overhaul because it's looking fairly dated as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

PollyMe wrote: »
    Hi Zapp, Im moving to Canada in August and was thinking of buyin an iPhone so i can keep in touch with everyone at home on iMessage. I was just wondering would it be best to buy the iPhone in Ireland before I leave, or would I be better off getting it over there?

Buy it over there and you'll get the correct plug adapter. Buy it sim free and you can use it the minute you come home, although you can always get a bill pay model unlocked to use at home.

BTW in Canada you pay to receive calls and (i think) texts. Very strange system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Bang on, that's why The HTC One X and the Galaxy S3 are the 2 best phones right now. They have the features people want, great screen, FM radio, flash, slick software and apps.

The 5 has way too much to live up to and needs to be a radical departure from the 4s design wise if it wants to stay current. I really think there in trouble this time as the market has galloped ahead of them. They caught the mobile industry off guard with the iPhone but they can`t possibly expect to stay ahead of them by launching just 1 new design every 2 years. Samsung are running away with their lead in smartphone sales and their share price is nearly rising at double the rate of apples. I fear for apple if we don't hear about the 5 this month and they wait until October to announce it as the S4 will be on the horizon or who knows even nokia or rim might have pulled a rabbit out of the hat by then.

Drunk I must say I don't agree with you. My brother who has no more than a passing interest in phones went to buy a smartphone. I tried to get him to buy the SIII. He hated it. Too big and he thought the OS was miles behind iOS. There's no denying the iPhone is in need of a refresh but the 4s is still a decent design. There is still a polishedness about iPhone that Samsung haven't achieved. Close, but not there yet. At the end of the day what can the SIII do that iPhone can't? Not a whole lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I know this isn't really in the spirit of apple products but could they not go about making it a little bit less breakable? I'm constantly afraid of dropping my iphone 4 because i know once I do the screen is nearly guaranteed to break. They're shaving millimetres off the thickness of the phone but then people just go and throw a massive case on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

PollyMe wrote: »

Works out pretty much the same, but if you buy it in Canada from Apple you can get Applecare+ which will cover 2 cases of accidental damage. Prepare to be shafted on a plan!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Where are you seeing that it's glass. I'll take a quality plastic over glass every time, it's a material that's far better suited to phones.

I assume the top and bottom of the back plate are glass, would be pretty awful for them to go back to plastic. the glass back on an iphone 4 is a thing of sheer beauty.
    I know this isn't really in the spirit of apple products but could they not go about making it a little bit less breakable? I'm constantly afraid of dropping my iphone 4 because i know once I do the screen is nearly guaranteed to break. They're shaving millimetres off the thickness of the phone but then people just go and throw a massive case on it.

i've dropped my 4 and 4S about 10 times from about 2-3 feet (bed side locker on to solid oak floor) and neither have sratches, the glass isn't that brittle but i guess i look after my phone, it lives in my pocket 90% of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

My iPhone lives in my hand 90% of the time. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Trigg171

Android user here. If that is going to be the new iPhone 5 I think that looks really nice. the two tone black metal looks good in my opinion.

iPhones have allways looked very nice design wise in my opinion. They reckon 4 inch screen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭niallharty

Flash memory is cheaper now than it was when the 3gs came out and even since the iPhone 4. So do you think apple might make the 32 gb and 64 gb models of the iPhone 5 cheaper? Or even release a 128gb iphone?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

it's plausible

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭splashthecash

niallharty wrote: »
    Flash memory is cheaper now than it was when the 3gs came out and even since the iPhone 4. So do you think apple might make the 32 gb and 64 gb models of the iPhone 5 cheaper? Or even release a 128gb iphone?

128 gb!! :eek:

Thats-a-spicy-meata-ball!!

32gb would be MORE than enough for me.....we're getting into silly sizes at this stage

gpf101 wrote: »
    Drunk I must say I don't agree with you. My brother who has no more than a passing interest in phones went to buy a smartphone. I tried to get him to buy the SIII. He hated it. Too big and he thought the OS was miles behind iOS. There's no denying the iPhone is in need of a refresh but the 4s is still a decent design. There is still a polishedness about iPhone that Samsung haven't achieved. Close, but not there yet. At the end of the day what can the SIII do that iPhone can't? Not a whole lot.

Upgradeable memory
    The screen doesn't go dark if your reading
    Removable battery
    Play videos on top of the screen while you browse the web
    Proper multi-tasking
    Better alerts system

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

^^ but it's so ugly and cheap looking, especially the blue one.

mad muffin wrote: »
    ^^ but it's so ugly and cheap looking, especially the blue one.

I agree, I'm an iPhone user myself btw - but the seemingly endless waiting for the an announcement on the new iPhone has me looking at the HTC One X over the past week or two....and I have to say, both it and Android\Sense 4.0 looks pretty sweet. Lovely unibody design, great camera and top specs. My only worry is that I have a macbook book pro\iTunes\iPad and am kinda in to whole Apple environment pretty heavily

I have the 3GS at the moment and it is crawling along with iOS 5...really struggling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I agree, I'm an iPhone user myself btw - but the seemingly endless waiting for the an announcement on the new iPhone has me looking at the HTC One X over the past week or two....and I have to say, both it and Android\Sense 4.0 looks pretty sweet. Lovely unibody design, great camera and top specs. My only worry is that I have a macbook book pro\iTunes\iPad and am kinda in to whole Apple environment pretty heavily

I have the 3GS at the moment and it is crawling along with iOS 5...really struggling.

Hold fast...the wait is almost over, save but a few short months.

mad muffin wrote: »
    Hold fast...the wait is almost over, save but a few short months.

I'll certainly try but I don't think Apple are ahead of the curve with regard smartphones as much as they were even a year ago. When I first tried Android on a Samsung a couple of years ago the flicking from one screen to another even was miles behind an iPhone, now its pretty seamless.

Apple are going to have to pull something special out of the bag to keep them up to date with what is currently out there.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I have the HTC One X and I have to say its really fantastic. There is little not to like about this phone. Amazing screen, very quick, lovely design and very impressive battery - only loses 3% overnight! Really cannot wait for the Jelly Bean update too.

Zascar wrote: »
    I have the HTC One X and I have to say its really fantastic. There is little not to like about this phone. Amazing screen, very quick, lovely design and very impressive battery - only loses 3% overnight! Really cannot wait for the Jelly Bean update too.

Zascar - what is the deal with Android updates? I hear its not the same with iOS updates (i.e. everyone gets them at the same time) - is it down the to phone manufacturer or your network provider when they are released?

Something crazy like only 7% of Android phones have ICS on them - which is ridiculous, that would drive me mad knowing that an update is out there and I couldn't get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Agreed. Apple better step their game up big time. Battery life, screen size and more fetures (although I think they are making very good progress on that front) and that's more the route they want to emphasise now -software.

iOS 6 looked cool but overall kind of hollow but I like how everything is more and more integrated.

It's a shame that it's only going to be as powerful as an iPad 3 though(which is underpowered compared to smartphones nevermind some other tablets)

That said I will wait for the iPhone 5 and could possibly get it if they show enough advancement from my iP4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭niallharty

128 gb!! :eek:

Thats-a-spicy-meata-ball!!

32gb would be MORE than enough for me.....we're getting into silly sizes at this stage

with the new 1080p video quality. 1 minute of video is 178mb that means an hour is about 10 gb!! Some people are big into photography and video so they'd need the 128GB plus if you like to have 1080p HD movies on your phone that's gonna need a lot of storage. Other people love the app stores variety of games and are big into playing games on their iPhone too, with some games taking 300MB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Bought one as well and I'm a Mac user. Had to use an iPhone 4 again for four days - having had both the 3GS and 4 for almost two years - before I picked up the One X and found it do be a fairly frustrating experience going back. The one small thing I missed (surprisingly) was the iTunes integration - and I think iTunes is pretty terrible - ability to purchase music for my account.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Yes the main problem with Android is the Fragmentation - because so few companies release their phones with stock Android, they usually have their own version (HTC Sense, Samsung Touchwizz etc) and you have to wait for them to release the updated version. Some older phones they just won't bother. Not really that big a deal if you are like me an never have a phone for longer than about 12-18 months though. The good thing is that the developer community is massive and they release their own version of Android (called ROM's) which are highly customised and often way better than Google's original version. These guys usually release their versions way before the manufacturers do. There is a rough version of Jelly Bean out for the HTC One X but I'd say it won't be more than a few weeks until a stable version is out.

I saw the new iOS6 and I thought it was hugely underwhelming. There are just so many things I still cant believe they do not have. Any time I use an iPhone it just infuriates me. Yes its simple and smooth and easy but we're in the age of pushing technological abilities, and iOS's locked down nature prohibits this so much.

Apple certainly does the music thing well, although like many I think iTunes is one of the worse pieces of software around.

If any of my friends ask me what to buy if they are thinking about getting a smartphone, for most people I'll just tell them to get an iphone like everyone else, its a safe choice and it will do what you want. However if this person is more into technology and actually wants the latest and greatest and plenty to tinker with - Android on a decent handset is simply miles ahead...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Upgradeable memory
    The screen doesn't go dark if your reading
    Removable battery
    Play videos on top of the screen while you browse the web
    Proper multi-tasking
    Better alerts system

Any comparison of OSes, and this is a comparison of an OS and hardware, can pick it's salient point.

My favourite point for iOS - a proper OS written by an desktop OS company in native code, with 20 years of code behind it from NEXT on - more if you back to BSD - , producing an OS which is faster, more integrated, and better than a Java VM.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

If any of my friends ask me what to buy if they are thinking about getting a smartphone, for most people I'll just tell them to get an iphone like everyone else, its a safe choice and it will do what you want. However if this person is more into technology and actually wants the latest and greatest and plenty to tinker with - Android on a decent handset is simply miles ahead...

It has been miles ahead since 1.6. I know both APIs, Android is not a patch on iOS. Widgets bedamned.

By the way the "real multitasking" is a myth. iOS has the same multitasking capabilities as OS X, full and preemptive. They realise though that for a single screen OS a background app doesn't need to be running full time, so they curtail 3rd party access to multitasking, except where needed. This is Apple looking out for the customer, not a technical restriction on iOS. Arguing that you have a "better multitasking" on Android is saying that you are happy that unnecessary processes are eating your battery.

Advertisement