Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 5 - Discussion [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Qwerty Dub

Were you able to pre order your upgrade with them? Missed a call from them there and now they are closed for the night!

No, despite being on the phone all day to them.

My sis got a call FROM them and another lad i work with swears his orders placed.

I was placed on a 'list' by about 4 different reps today and then got a text which said reply 'Upgrade' to receive a call back. The one rep who gave me prices said I'll get a call on Tuesday to confirm if I want to go ahead with my provisional order I gave her today, and its first come first served then for Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Nyum Nyum

cloud493 wrote: »
    Someone has this on sale on adverts for 999 euro :eek:

No doubt someone will offer to swap it for a broken PS2 with 20 games plus €50 :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Do you still need to sync your phone with your computer when you gorst activate it, or can you set it up over wifi now?

Jimdagym wrote: »
    Do you still need to sync your phone with your computer when you gorst activate it, or can you set it up over wifi now?

Over Wifi since IOS5

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

Supposedly the team behind the new maps is in "lockdown"

http://news.sky.com/story/987955/apple-in-lockdown-for-map-app-fixes

Can the treatment their getting be any worse than the cheap Chinese labour camps that build these devices? Will the ghost of Steve Jobs return??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,533 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Anyone notice any Irish towns missing from the half baked new mapping service?

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-19672981

If microsoft delivered such an update they would be rightly lambasted and the product panned. Apple can do it and people still drool over the item, absolutely amazing. Prepaired to spend over 700euro!

Plus this is not the first time; the iphone 4 had the dodgy antenna, the famous IOS alarm clock bug happened twice etc...

Amazing!
    Apple have over 100Billion in cash. The wealthiest company on the planet.

Its taken as a given that the modern day smart phone has sat nav with accurate turn by turn directions. Witness the demise of the dedicated SAT NAV. I would disagree strongly that its only used by a small few and is a trivial matter.

Also all current smartphones are used for city guide books, metro, train timetables and mapping.

Apple cannot just gloss over this and their grudge with google because of Android.

The real test will be the uptake of IOS6 on older iPhones will people voluntarily accept this new rubbish mapping system?
    Supposedly the team behind the new maps is in "lockdown"

http://news.sky.com/story/987955/apple-in-lockdown-for-map-app-fixes

Can the treatment their getting be any worse than the cheap Chinese labour camps that build these devices? Will the ghost of Steve Jobs return??

Really can you please stop your anti Apple rants.

Yes the maps are bad and they have been lambasted for it.

Still it doesn't mean it's a bad phone.

Also the iPhone 4 antenna problem was never that big but is jumped on by Fandroids.

Also, you r cheap Chinese labour camp is just ridiculous.

I'm sure Samsung are paying a fortune to their Asian staff to have their phones assembled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Hurricane Carter

cloud493 wrote: »
    Someone has this on sale on adverts for 999 euro :eek:

I hope nobody is stupid enough to pay that price!! Ridiculous.

Qwerty Dub wrote: »
    Over Wifi since IOS5

You don't need wifi or a computer to activate an iPhone now at all AFAIK

Just adding some balance to the drooling of others in the forum. Which I believe is only reasonable.

Anyway Apple seem to have done alright judging by the queue length coverage they got today.

Just adding some balance to the drooling of others in the forum. Which I believe is only reasonable.

Anyway Apple seem to have done alright judging by the queue length coverage they got today.

iPhone is a very successful phone so it's to be expected for people to drool over them on an iPhone thread.

You're not providing balance in my opinion just showing your own anti Apple stance because you haven't provided any facts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭petiha

Alright, since it's not a guarantee I get an iPhone 5, and because I think the €679 price is a but spicy, I decided to buy a Galaxy S3 from the money I got for my 4S. If I don't like it, I'll just sell it for the same price (or close to it anyway) and by then, I'll have some money saved up, and iPhone 5 stocks will hopefully be better, I will buy an iPhone 5. :)

I need a bit of newness in the OS. :) It might be a HUUUGEE phone, but I think it's one phone that is worth a try. ;)

murpho999 wrote: »
    You're not providing balance in my opinion just showing your own anti Apple stance because you haven't provided any facts.

Everything I stated is factual as reported in the mainstream press. Mad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Sell my 4S this week, get around 300 for it, pay 370 for my 5, sound stuff for the best phone ever :o wasn't a fan of mobile phones generally till I got an iphone so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

iPhone is on the O2 website for pre order - 129 for platinum upgrade 16gb black 24 month contract.

Everything I stated is factual as reported in the mainstream press. Mad!

Yes but the Antennagate thing was jumped on by the press but in reality was not that big an issue.

Alarm clock: never heard of it but a software bug affecting an alarm clock is hardly a massive issue.

Also, the factory....not Apple's factory and they are not responsible for working conditions but they are taking the allegations very seriously.

Finally: Just because it's reported in the press does not make it factual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Pythia wrote: »
    iPhone is on the O2 website for pre order - 129 for platinum upgrade 16gb black 24 month contract.

Checked out of curiosity and its not showing for me.

DubDJ wrote: »
    Checked out of curiosity and its not showing for me.

Think you have to login and check your upgrade.

Wife has Gold upgrade and it's €179.00 for 2 year contract.

Not sure yet what monthly fee is. O2 website is awful.

Prices coming out a lot earlier though than for the 4s.

Edit: Seems only option at the moment is iPhone 5 Black 16gb. Wonder if it's up in error too early!

I just ordered mine. Got it for 116.10 as I got a 10% off code from priority moments. Submitted card details so hopefully all sorted now!

I just ordered mine. Got it for 116.10 as I got a 10% off code from priority moments. Submitted card details so hopefully all sorted now!

Ok....what about the monthly payments...can't find that at all.

Ok....what about the monthly payments...can't find that at all.

Well I was previously in touch with the loyalty dept who promised I could stay on the same plan if I agreed to verbally sign a contract with them that day and retain my upgrade for use when the 5 came out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Think you have to login and check your upgrade.

Wife has Gold upgrade and it's €179.00 for 2 year contract.

Not sure yet what monthly fee is. O2 website is awful.

Prices coming out a lot earlier though than for the 4s.

Edit: Seems only option at the moment is iPhone 5 Black 16gb. Wonder if it's up in error too early!

Yeah I'm not with O2. Just comparing price plans. With Meteor and still undecided on whether to upgrade or purchase direct from Apple.

Well I was previously in touch with the loyalty dept who promised I could stay on the same plan if I agreed to verbally sign a contract with them that day and retain my upgrade for use when the 5 came out.

Ok but when I try it it just says 24 month contract and no mention of what that is, which I find strange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Have it. Love it. So much faster than my 4.

Still don't like the headphone input on the bottom though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭shuffles03

Just had a quick go of one in the San Fran Apple store. Man the queues are mental for people buying them. I've also never seen a store so crowded in my entire life. I have to say, I was a but of a skeptic and was strongly considering getting a Lumia 920 or Note 2 in the next few weeks but the 5 really impressed me. Exceptionally fast and high quality finish too. It's really light too (not sure how much of a good thing that is though. I like a bit of weight in my products I do).

Overall, pretty amazing piece of kit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

I Am Kong! wrote: »
    I hope nobody is stupid enough to pay that price!! Ridiculous.

"There's always one"

You don't need wifi or a computer to activate an iPhone now at all AFAIK

You do if you want to set it up from a backup (iCloud).

His question was did he need a computer or could it be done over wifi, so i answered he could do it over wifi. I wasnt saying he needed wifi, i was just answering his question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Have used tomtom app in the states - very good. You only need data if you want to use the google local search feature (has much more up to date info than the built in points of interest) - there's loads of free wifi in the states.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

These Lines are getting bigger and bigger...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Called into the local O2 store yesterday and they still don't have the price of this or contract plans. Seems storage that they have to wait until the day before its release.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Davexirl

I got mine yesterday in Belfast and here's what I did to cut down my sim.

I cut down my old micro sim using this template www.airportal.de/nanosim

All is used was a sharp scissors, sellotape and a pencil to mark the sim. I had to cut through metal contacts, my friend did the same with his vodafone sim and we both have no problems.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/87485605@N05/8011448816/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/87485605@N05/8011449092/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/87485605@N05/8011443523/

Advertisement