Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 5 - Discussion [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Why do you take criticism of Apple so personally? I know his is an apple sub forum but some of you people sound as bad as Playstation/Xbox fanboys.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Really can you please stop your anti Apple rants.

Yes the maps are bad and they have been lambasted for it.

Still it doesn't mean it's a bad phone.

Also the iPhone 4 antenna problem was never that big but is jumped on by Fandroids.

Also, you r cheap Chinese labour camp is just ridiculous.

I'm sure Samsung are paying a fortune to their Asian staff to have their phones assembled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,533 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Why do you take criticism of Apple so personally? I know his is an apple sub forum but some of you people sound as bad as Playstation/Xbox fanboys.

Not taking things personal at all, but if you're going to criticise a product/company than stick to facts than just press speculation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

Everything I stated is factual as reported in the mainstream press. Mad!

Yeah because a few lads in "lockdown" are gonna replicate years and years of progress, research and patents of Google maps.

Nonsense. itll still be crap when their finished.

Of course the attititude comes then that "We didnt use it anyway" as soon as apple does something wrong. Criticise the mighty Apple in this thread and people assume your a fandroid or whatever. I own a 4S and an S3 and no way in hell will i go back to IOS now. Its not just the apps its the whole "whatever we release the iSheep will still buy it, so why even innovate anymore" attitude. Its horrible to read off and horrible to watch videos on which i constantly do and an extra inch isnt going to make a single bit of difference.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Just for comparison, I done two micro sims yesterday that i got from meteor a week ago.

The newer up to date micro sims have the same size contacts as the nano sim on meteor anyway. So if with them go in store and get a blank one in the dark grey and orange packaging.

Just cut off the excess around the contacts and works perfect.

Davexirl wrote: »
    I got mine yesterday in Belfast and here's what I did to cut down my sim.

I cut down my old micro sim using this template www.airportal.de/nanosim

All is used was a sharp scissors, sellotape and a pencil to mark the sim. I had to cut through metal contacts, my friend did the same with his vodafone sim and we both have no problems.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/87485605@N05/8011448816/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/87485605@N05/8011449092/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/87485605@N05/8011443523/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

What are the current/best contract deals going for this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Qwerty Dub

cloud493 wrote: »
    What are the current/best contract deals going for this?

Thats a hard question for someone to answer on your behalf.

How much are you willing to spend?
    How many texts do you need per month?
    How many mins do you need per month?
    How much data do you need per month?

Only you can answer these questions.

Easiest way is to pick your budget and then go to all the different sites and see what you would get for that money. Very hard for someone to do the seraching for you only to come back and you say 'Well I wasnt planning on spending that much' or 'I need more texts per month'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I was asking generally like. The kind of contract you know isn't a bad deal and what not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

I was asking generally like. The kind of contract you know isn't a bad deal and what not.
    Still to broad a question. My contract is good value to me because I use the phone a lot and got a 32gb 4 free and it costs 75 per month. All calls texts and data are free bar international or premium rate. To you or someone we that might seem a rip off so have a look around all the networks when they release pricing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Out of all the operator's 3 will do the best value plan for handset whatever

your budget is. On the other hand If you have the money to buy from Apple I

am doing this and get a 48 sim they won't be beaten on value or price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Will be using a tesco mobile sim myself - 48 wouldn't suit me to as couldn't be bothered with buying landline topups. age restriction doesn't seem to be enforced - I know a 60+ year old on 48.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭Elessar

Just had a look and it seems 48 are actually quite good. Unlimited mobile calls, unlimited texts, 3GB internet and 20 min landline calls a month for only €20. Impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

Elessar wrote: »
    Just had a look and it seems 48 are actually quite good. Unlimited mobile calls, unlimited texts, 3GB internet and 20 min landline calls a month for only €20. Impressive.

yes but how good is their coverage .....

i know three is shocking , well for me it was , o2 robbing cnuts , vodafone is the best iifc

Three are by far the best in my house and Ive tried all the networks.

Well, bar 48. Are they any good? Data coverage any good?

Coverage is the same as O2 as they're owned by them. Tesco mobile also use the O2 network

digitaldr wrote: »
    Coverage is the same as O2 as they're owned by them. Tesco mobile also use the O2 network

I was on O2 before, but not when I had a smartphone and used the web. What are they like for data? I know its probably a location specific question, but in general what do people find?

Im on Three and while its fairly decent everywhere i find it poor in the Dundrum area, yet fine up the road in Sandyford and Ballinteer.

Not sure about Dundrum etc but in general I've found their data coverage to be excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

Media999 wrote: »
    Yeah because a few lads in "lockdown" are gonna replicate years and years of progress, research and patents of Google maps.

Of course the attititude comes then that "We didnt use it anyway" as soon as apple does something wrong. Criticise the mighty Apple in this thread and people assume your a fandroid or whatever. I own a 4S and an S3 and no way in hell will i go back to IOS now. Its not just the apps its the whole "whatever we release the iSheep will still buy it, so why even innovate anymore" attitude. Its horrible to read off and horrible to watch videos on which i constantly do and an extra inch isnt going to make a single bit of difference.

Agree 100%

Apple because of their android grudge removed the excellent google maps that took years plus google's no 1 search abilities to compile an accurate mapping system with current POI's etc.

Apple can only ever catch up in a few years and that is only if they compete with google on search.

Their is no quick lock-down fix for this massive executive mapping blunder except approach Nokia or Bing (unlikely)? I can also see no medium term fix for this massive Apple blunder.

But then again this is more Apple bravado that mirrors their Samsung patent court cases except this one has blown up on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Hurricane Carter

Agreed.

I love Google Maps and use it quite often. 'Upgraded' to iOS6 last week and maps is horrendous!

As you said, there's no way they'll get there, Google have maps completely sewn up.

Ordered myself the HTC One X (having used one before) to replace my 4s. :) I wanted to see what '5' had to offer...pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

I actually think that in 5 years ill be wearing Google glass and wont have a traditional smartphone at all. Theyll be no bigger than a biggish pair of sunglasses and battery will last a day. Maybe just put them on a stand there when im in the house. Thats innovation. An extra inch is not bloody innovation.

Maybe for a few years we will control the glasses with a small smartphone then technology will allow just the glasses. Thats innovation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

I actually think that in 5 years ill be wearing Google glass and wont have a traditional smartphone at all. Theyll be no bigger than a biggish pair of sunglasses and battery will last a day. Maybe just put them on a stand there when im in the house. Thats innovation. An extra inch is not bloody innovation.

Maybe for a few years we will control the glasses with a small smartphone then technology will allow just the glasses. Thats innovation.

If they think they can stick with that narrow 4" screen for another 4/5 years, they're ****ing deluded. And I bet they will, considering they've gotten so arrogant and unwilling to adapt aggressively to the market, besides suing of course. Fact is, that screen is already way too small, and in 4/5 years time, it could well make the iPhone obsolete.

Just my thoughts on it, but if Apple didn't have this mindset of "sure our fans will buy it anyway", they wouldn't have half as much criticism from people. I honestly see them losing a lot of steam of they continue to think like this in an ever more cut-throat technology market.
    They were a great innovative company and now look at them. I wouldn't care though if they at least stayed very competive hardware wise and opened up their OS even a small bit.
    They still make great products, but I'm getting bored because there's bigger and better in a lot of other places, and funnily enough it's cheaper too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

1ZRed wrote: »
    If they think they can stick with that narrow 4" screen for another 4/5 years, they're ****ing deluded. And I bet they will, considering they've gotten so arrogant and unwilling to adapt aggressively to the market, besides suing of course. Fact is, that screen is already way too small, and in 4/5 years time, it could well make the iPhone obsolete.

Just my thoughts on it, but if Apple didn't have this mindset of "sure our fans will buy it anyway", they wouldn't have half as much criticism from people. I honestly see them losing a lot of steam of they continue to think like this in an ever more cut-throat technology market.
    They were a great innovative company and now look at them. I wouldn't care though if they at least stayed very competive hardware wise and opened up their OS even a small bit.
    They still make great products, but I'm getting bored because there's bigger and better in a lot of other places, and funnily enough it's cheaper too.

If the iPhone screen got as big as the S3 screen I wouldn't buy it. The S3 is way to big for me and I hated using it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I Am Kong! wrote: »

As you said, there's no way they'll get there, Google have maps completely sewn up.

I'm not disagreeing, but nokia's maps are absolutely epic and one of the reasons the Lumia 920 is on my shopping list

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I too was disappointed by the ip5 and switched over to the S3.
    Great phone and all but the Android Os in no way compares to IOS in spite of it's limitations.
    I had my car dock..now useless
    My bedside dock, useless but can use a line in but doesn't charge my S3 and the S3 battery is nothing to write home about...
    In fact I'm using an app to manage my battery performance and while good it's a pain in the ass having to toggle bluetooth, wifi,data etc just to conserve battery.
    On my ip4 I had wifi/gps/3g/bluetooth enabled constantly and still had over 40-60% on my phone going to bed. You won't get that on a S3/One-X regardless of what people are saying.

I'm missing it already :(

Looking at the lumnia but it's a bloody brick compared to the iphone. I still have my upgrade to get though :D

Mactard wrote: »
    I'm not disagreeing, but nokia's maps are absolutely epic and one of the reasons the Lumia 920 is on my shopping list

To be honest, I keep forgetting about what Nokia can offer! Was a huge fan in the past.

Looking forward to seeing the Lumia 920 in the flesh. The camera tech seems really impressive.

kceire wrote: »
    If the iPhone screen got as big as the S3 screen I wouldn't buy it. The S3 is way to big for me and I hated using it.
    I never mentioned it. Seems like you can't comment on screen size around here without the S3 getting thrown in.

You could have a scaled 4.3" screen which would be perfect. No need to constantly jump to the "4.8" screen is way too big" argument.

Blazer wrote: »
    I too was disappointed by the ip5 and switched over to the S3.
    Great phone and all but the Android Os in no way compares to IOS in spite of it's limitations.
    I had my car dock..now useless
    My bedside dock, useless but can use a line in but doesn't charge my S3 and the S3 battery is nothing to write home about...
    In fact I'm using an app to manage my battery performance and while good it's a pain in the ass having to toggle bluetooth, wifi,data etc just to conserve battery.
    On my ip4 I had wifi/gps/3g/bluetooth enabled constantly and still had over 40-60% on my phone going to bed. You won't get that on a S3/One-X regardless of what people are saying.

I'm missing it already :(

Looking at the lumnia but it's a bloody brick compared to the iphone. I still have my upgrade to get though :D

You're obviously more suited to iOS so. :)

Can't see why you'd need an app to conserve battery though, when I was using a GS3 for a while the battery was brilliant! Better than my 4s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

1ZRed wrote: »
    That's just according to you. There are still more than enough people who don't want a bigger screen for Apple to sell their iPhone to. I am one of them. I think the screen size on my iPhone 4 is perfect. I'm worried that Apple may have screwed it up by making it bigger for the 5. When I upgrade to the 5 (I have to as I'm running out of space on my 32GB 4) I'll find out, but any screen that I can't use one handed is too big, simple as that. If I wan't to use both hands, I'll use my iPad...

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Kwak.ie

anyone know if any of the irish mobile carriers will be upgrading to take advantage of the 4g on iphone 5? and what price will they be on apples website sim free??

Johnmb wrote: »
    That's just according to you. There are still more than enough people who don't want a bigger screen for Apple to sell their iPhone to. I am one of them. I think the screen size on my iPhone 4 is perfect. I'm worried that Apple may have screwed it up by making it bigger for the 5. When I upgrade to the 5 (I have to as I'm running out of space on my 32GB 4) I'll find out, but any screen that I can't use one handed is too big, simple as that. If I wan't to use both hands, I'll use my iPad...

Have to say, I personally like the bigger screen (on Android devices).

The bigger form factor of the iPhone 5 looks a bit crap I think, because the phone's the same width...just looks too elongated. Much prefer the 4/4s.

• Advertisement

Johnmb wrote: »
    Clearly you've never used a bigger screened phone for long. I was messing around with a 4.3" sized one and I could use it perfectly with one hand, easy.

The market is heading bigger for a reason, because people want them and all the benefits that come along with them.

Advertisement