Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 5 - Discussion [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Kwak.ie wrote: »
    anyone know if any of the irish mobile carriers will be upgrading to take advantage of the 4g on iphone 5? and what price will they be on apples website sim free??
    No. By the time anything resembling 4G is released in Ireland, the iPhone 6 (or 5S, or whatever they will call it) will be out. The auction hasn't even happened yet, and Comreg are as incompetent as the other Irish regulators, so it won't happen efficiently or quickly, and when it does happen, it will be in the most half-assed way possible...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

I Am Kong! wrote: »
    Have to say, I personally like the bigger screen (on Android devices).

The bigger form factor of the iPhone 5 looks a bit crap I think, because the phone's the same width...just looks too elongated. Much prefer the 4/4s.

Seriously, try it before you hate it. It does look strange initially but its actually perfect. One hand still works, and movies look great on 16:9 :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

1ZRed wrote: »
    I never mentioned it. Seems like you can't comment on screen size around here without the S3 getting thrown in.

You could have a scaled 4.3" screen which would be perfect. No need to constantly jump to the "4.8" screen is way too big" argument.

I never said you did. Seems like you can't give an honest opinion round here without people thinking your involved in some fanboyism or fandroid scandal.

I like iOS in my phone. I've tried android on various phones including ; htc, Samsung and I prefer my iPhone. That's how it is at present.

Posted from my archos 7, running android ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

You're obviously more suited to iOS so. :)

Can't see why you'd need an app to conserve battery though, when I was using a GS3 for a while the battery was brilliant! Better than my 4s.

well I have it updated to 4.1 jelly bean so that could be it too..a few others who did theirs complain about power as well..
    ah well..that's what the second battery is for ...re-doing my contacts is a major pain in the ass though...google didn't import them fully and I've manually doing each one...last frakking time I tell ya...:mad:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Kwak.ie wrote: »
    anyone know if any of the irish mobile carriers will be upgrading to take advantage of the 4g on iphone 5? and what price will they be on apples website sim free??

We are 10 years away from 4G.

Sim free pricing is on apples website uk.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Clearly you've never used a bigger screened phone for long. I was messing around with a 4.3" sized one and I could use it perfectly with one hand, easy.

The market is heading bigger for a reason, because people want them and all the benefits that come along with them.
    See, that's just silly thinking. The market isn't heading in any one way. Many people want big, many others want smaller, and quite a few want medium. Apple have no reason to go after all segments, they can't make enough iPhones to satisfy all smartphone demand, so they don't have to try. Those who want a bigger screen can buy one from the other manufacturers, why should Apple have to drop their current user base? Especially considering they sell everything they make, it's not like their current user base is so small that they have to look elsewhere to make profits....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Hurricane Carter

miralize wrote: »
    Seriously, try it before you hate it. It does look strange initially but its actually perfect. One hand still works, and movies look great on 16:9 :D

Ah knowing me, I'm sure I'll try it out at some stage!

For now though I'm going to play around with my One X for a while! :)

Blazer wrote: »
    well I have it updated to 4.1 jelly bean so that could be it too..a few others who did theirs complain about power as well..
    ah well..that's what the second battery is for ...re-doing my contacts is a major pain in the ass though...google didn't import them fully and I've manually doing each one...last frakking time I tell ya...:mad:

What version of firmware you running? I rooted and flashed the S3 with non-branded (ICS) UK firmware and the battery life improved a lot..

What version of firmware you running? I rooted and flashed the S3 with non-branded (ICS) UK firmware and the battery life improved a lot..

4.1 :) jelly bean

I'm thinking 4.8 is a bit big alright although for browsing it's fantastic. Think I need bigger hands though :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭digitaldr

The main thing that steers me towards the iPhone is the build quality and attention to detail. The likes of the GS3 just seem plasticky and flimsy. I would have considered the lumia 920 if it wasn't for the change to horrible looking shiny plastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

digitaldr wrote: »
    The main thing that steers me towards the iPhone is the build quality and attention to detail. The likes of the GS3 just seem plasticky and flimsy. I would have considered the lumia 920 if it wasn't for the change to horrible looking shiny plastic.

Wouldnt agree really. Plastic scuffs, Glass shatters. S3 being flimsy is nonsense. feels better than the 4S which i also have. Tend to use the S3 more as its better in every way apart from being small.

Media999 wrote: »
    Wouldnt agree really. Plastic scuffs, Glass shatters. S3 being flimsy is nonsense. feels better than the 4S which i also have. Tend to use the S3 more as its better in every way apart from being small.

What plastic? Yeah the anodized black metal shows the metal when scratched but its still metal and Apple are replacing the phones with any unhappy customers. I wonder would Samsung do the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I hope Apple do stick with a 4" screen for the next few years. I don't care what anybody says, i've used the S3 and it's just too big imo. Also used a 4.5" and I think thats just the same... feels like it's an effort to hold. Bigger isn't better for everyone. I love the 4" screen. Friend has a Nexus and the 4" is great, it's just a perfect size. So i'm looking forward to the new iPhone 5.

If you like a bigger screen fair enough, but don't use it as a reason to fault the iPhone. For the majority of iPhone users the size is perfect. I like the direction Apple have taken with the iPhone. A solid update every two years suits me, and every year adding and building onto iOS with new features and settings. Why do they need to change the look of it all and go against the Apple model of 'Simplicity'?

Haven't used the new iPhone yet but from the reviews online i've been watching people are pleasantly surprised. (Other than Maps that is :P).

For some people a nice sized phone and an easy to use polished OS just suits them. I'm sure a lot of other people are of the same opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭Elessar

Aren't all mobile phone makers in the EU by law now supposed to use mini-usb for charging?

Does Apple include a lightning to mini usb adapter in the box?

What plastic? Yeah the anodized black metal shows the metal when scratched but its still metal and Apple are replacing the phones with any unhappy customers. I wonder would Samsung do the same.

You read my post wrong.

4.1 :) jelly bean

I'm thinking 4.8 is a bit big alright although for browsing it's fantastic. Think I need bigger hands though :D

Sorry, I meant was it a branded/unbranded version and Irish? :)

Sorry, I meant was it a branded/unbranded version and Irish? :)

originally vodafone and I unlocked it for use with 3..
    might dump the battery manager and see how it runs without it for a while..
    I do like Android but the IOS integration and accessories are on another planet compared to android..apple had that down to a T but it is easier for them with the one or two products.

Gave my brother my iphone 4 32gb and even just using it today after a few days of the S3 it felt so natural. Bastard...I can always take it back off him :D

originally vodafone and I unlocked it for use with 3..
    might dump the battery manager and see how it runs without it for a while..
    I do like Android but the IOS integration and accessories are on another planet compared to android..apple had that down to a T but it is easier for them with the one or two products.

Gave my brother my iphone 4 32gb and even just using it today after a few days of the S3 it felt so natural. Bastard...I can always take it back off him :D

I actually think Android is much better integration wise as any app you download is auto integrated to the OS.

So say you download an image app for example, you're given the choice which app you want to be the default for images. Also the options for what you want to with a file, all the your relevant apps are listed for you, if you want to open it with one app, share it with another or edit with something else.

But I do like the 'cleanliness' of iOS too though. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Elessar wrote: »
    Aren't all mobile phone makers in the EU by law now supposed to use mini-usb for charging?

Does Apple include a lightning to mini usb adapter in the box?

No, they dont include an adaptor because it doesnt exist yet, and if it did they do not have to, all they have to do is offer one for sale like they do for the 30 pin port to get around the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

On bigger screens, when it does stop being a phone and start becoming a tablet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 559 ✭✭✭danger mouse

Kenno90 wrote: »
    These Lines are getting bigger and bigger...

2011 wants it's video back

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭steven087

if you pre order with three for bill pay do they send a sim with your phone im with them on pre pay and want to keep my number anyone know the answer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

steven087 wrote: »
    if you pre order with three for bill pay do they send a sim with your phone im with them on pre pay and want to keep my number anyone know the answer

They should realistically. But I don't think any of the carriers have said whether a blank nano sim will be sent out with the phone so you can port your number over. But until they're readily available you can cut your old sim or micro sim down and it works just fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

On bigger screens, when it does stop being a phone and start becoming a tablet?
    It can get as big as an iPad but if it still can make calls and has an antenna, it's still a phone.

It can get as big as an iPad but if it still can make calls and has an antenna, it's still a phone.

By your logic the iPad is still a phone. It can do all of those things that you just said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

By your logic the iPad is still a phone. It can do all of those things that you just said
    True! :D Never copped even though I posted that off my 3G iPad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

steven087 wrote: »

Yes they do; Three requires you change SIMs when switching the type of service you use with them.

Google has over 7000 people working on Maps. This is not gonna end well.

• Advertisement

edit - video was deleted.

Advertisement