Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 5 - Discussion [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭steven087

DubDJ wrote: »
    They should realistically. But I don't think any of the carriers have said whether a blank nano sim will be sent out with the phone so you can port your number over. But until they're readily available you can cut your old sim or micro sim down and it works just fine.

but if i on pre pay now that sim cant be used as a bill pay one can it.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭steven087

is there much chance having the phone on launch day if pre ordered online with 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

steven087 wrote: »
    but if i on pre pay now that sim cant be used as a bill pay one can it.

Yeah it's all the same thing. They just have to switch your account type. You'll most likely get the phone and a blank nano sim. And then you'll have to ring up and get them to port your number from your current sim to the new nano sim. Very simple and its usually done in 30 mins.

Once you sign up for bill pay they'll just change your account type there and then from pay as you go to billpay. It's all very straight forward. They don't have to give you a new sim afaik.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Our team is responsible for displaying map content for the Maps application on iOS. It is used by millions of customers and it's the best mapping program on any mobile platform
    lol...that is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭Elessar

NOT good. Don't know if I want one now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Its the white one for me so.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭tomister

steven087 wrote: »
    is there much chance having the phone on launch day if pre ordered online with 3

I pre ordered in store (current 3pay customer) and was told ill defo get one on Friday. We should hear either way on Tuesday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

http://youtu.be/0l4vpyQIafY

This was uploaded on 7th September before the iPhone was released. Basically a worker in the Foxconn factory warning his friend not to buy until October as only 10 in 100 iPhones they were producing were fault free .
    Seems like apple compromised on quality to get the phone released asap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Hurricane Carter

Lollers!

http://gizmodo.com/5945399/your-new-iphone-home-screen-has-a-whole-extra-row-of-icons-what-apps-are-you-gonna-put-there?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews
    Hey so you have a new iPhone 5, which means that there's some extra screen real estate in the form of a fifth row of icons. And I know you agonized about what you crammed onto the first screen of your old iPhone (which only had 4 rows for icons. So what new additions are going to make the cut this time around?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Elessar wrote: »

What good is being "the worlds thinnest smartphone" is you have to put it in a case?

My 4 has never been in a case after 2 years and there are hardly no stretches or damage on the back. Feck this having to use a case if its that delicate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭BanjoB

1ZRed wrote: »
    What good is being "the worlds thinnest smartphone" is you have to put it in a case?

My 4 has never been in a case after 2 years and there are hardly no stretches or damage on the back. Feck this having to use a case if its that delicate.

That video gives me visions of the aluminum back on the original iPhone that was heavily prone to scratches. That really is disappointing.

Something to brighten up your day. Can't believe people can be this dumb. Sure hope I get more use from mine other than making calls and texts :D

Cue the Android Fanboys..... 'Typical Apple User' :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

Something to brighten up your day. Can't believe people can be this dumb. Sure hope I get more use from mine other than making calls and texts :D

Cue the Android Fanboys..... 'Typical Apple User American' :P

Fixed. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Cue the Android Fanboys..... 'Typical Apple User' :P

Much as I hate to say it, that has a stink of FAKE all over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

That bloke has a load of videos on youtube. Its not fake anyway. If it was any other country id say it was fake but not the states.

more here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHwPzVR0a1w

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭Tifosi

Elessar wrote: »

Maybe this video will put your mind slightly at ease

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Tifosi wrote: »
    Maybe this video will put your mind slightly at ease

OK I'm officially confused.

Does it scratch or doesn't it? Just a bad batch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭BanjoB

mad muffin wrote: »

V confusing :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

BanjoB wrote: »
    V confusing :confused:
    If you're confused about them, then I think you might be gay..

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭dmcg90

So the scratches wipe right off? Hmm, intriguing.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

You can see in the video that if your scrape a softer metal across it, the soft metal gets deposited on the phone and wipes off, but if you break through the layer of adonised alu then the silver below shows through and you have a nasty mark.

The edges in particular seem quite fragile. It looks to me like most peoples phones will go silver at the corners after a few months of use and ding up badly if dropped. Same drop might have smashed a 4/4s though.

Not that big a deal though, adonised surfaces take a beating well but do show damage badly if you break the coating. It's not surprising.

Personally I'd like a black one but with the edges left in raw alu like the 4/4s as that's were the issue will be for most people.

Yeah I was hoping for the same shiny bezel but alas that's not to be on the black/slate one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Personally I think the white 5 looks better. I've gone with black in all the previous generations but deffo leaning towards white now. That does have the silver bezel, I think the slate bezel makes the whole thing look very dull... But I haven't seen any in the flesh yet!

Yeah, I'm in two minds. That's why I'm going to wait to see them in the flesh before ordering.

Personally I was hoping for more if an original iPhone look with the design if the iPhone 5.

I love the look of the black band matching the overall look of the phone. The scratch part really does put me off but I'll be buying it anyway. It's just annoying it could end up fairly scratched which will effect resale value. Just not into the white/aluminium look at all.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I was told by an Apple Care Assistant that the scratches are on some phones prior to launch, from a bad batch at manufacturing.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭vwgolfmk504

i prefer the black but i think im going to go with the white,it seems its very unlikely someone with a black iphone wont have scratches all over it especially on the sides in a few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭avalon68

I'd be surprised if it doesn't scratch....I have the Mac book pro and even through I'm super careful with it, it has lots of " dings" round the rims as the aluminum is so soft. It also got some scratches from resting my wrist on it when typing as I was wearing a metal band watch.....the phone looks great but I don't think it will be as durable as the 4s. Hope I'm proven wrong though! Guy at work got one and he's the biggest clutz I've ever met....so if his survives the next 2 weeks in tact then ill prob get one :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

Rioting in the iphone5 factory, no doubt the ringleaders will be dispatched to the gulag and production will resume:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2012/sep/24/foxconn-closes-china-factory-brawl

Advertisement