Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 5 - Discussion [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

Blazer wrote: »
    Have you ever used an iphone? As in over a year or so..most android guys haven't and regurgitate the latest shíte they hear their mates saying etc or some android website.
    I've come from Android 1.0 on a google G1 -> Iphone 4 - >Motorola Xoom on Honeycomb > Ipad ->Samsung S3 on JB and yet I don't feel the need to the need to go into the Apple/Android forum and slag off people's phones.

Why ? Because I've experienced both Mobile sytems and can appreciate the advantages of both.
    Both of them have great selling points and while Android definitely has the better tech , Apple has by far the better ecosystem and integration.
    Most people that switch to/from Android/IOS appreciate both and understand the differences etc and what they lose when they switch. You don't see them talking shíte though.

Yeah ive a 4S and an S3.

Usually id be the first in line for new Tech. Not a Fanboy or a Fandroid by any stretch. Just love technology and innovation.

This isnt an Android vs Google argument. Not for me anyway.

Some people just took the criticism way too personal and of course came the obligatory fandroid ****e.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Media999 wrote: »
    Its a gap in their personality that needs to be filled with consumerism. The need to feel part of a group. Makes them feel better about themselves.

That's not meant to be personal??

Graham wrote: »
    That's not meant to be personal??

No you just took it personal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

Dear me. There's seems to be some part of my edict of "cease and desist" that some of you aren't getting.

Stop this bickering now.

If not, I will close the thread and there will be bannings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Yeah ive a 4S and an S3.

Usually id be the first in line for new Tech. Not a Fanboy or a Fandroid by any stretch. Just love technology and innovation.

This isnt an Android vs Google argument. Not for me anyway.

Some people just took the criticism way too personal and of course came the obligatory fandroid ****e.

I think you're just trolling tbh...now get back to downloading 4.1 for your S3...and you need odin 3.04 to flash it.

12b0d6e4-cbc8-4388-b1f2-3e6b1e87cc3c.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

You should see how bad Google+ is. Every day there's atleast 5 anti-Apple posts trending. Always reposts of the same crap. Read a post from a person on Google+ who had this to say about her recent post saying she was buying an iPhone 5.

Last week, I ordered an iPhone 5 as a second line. And I was ridiculed, berated, called an "iWhore," told they hoped for my DEATH or threatened me with bodily harm. Over a cell phone.

I'm not attending the Android BBQ this year because of it. Which bums me out, because I kind of wanted to see my friends there. But I'm not going to risk being assaulted, because I work in technology.

It shocks and upsets me that a community I've always championed would treat a member of it so cruelly.

The fact of the matter is this: When I bought my HTC EVO LTE (or my SGS2, or my EVO4G, or my SGS3, or my Nexus 7, or my Galaxy Tab 10.1), I didn't get a single comment from the iOS community with those kinds of comments. No Apple Genius said "u r a TRATOR" or "ur the dumbest bitch ever." It was radio silence. Apple fanboys might be smug, or sanctimonious, or whatever else you might want to call them -- but the one thing they they AREN'T are the kinds of people who are sending me messages like the ones I've gotten in the past week.

As much as anyone out there might read this post and think, "I didn't do those things, so I have no responsibility to stop others from doing so," I've seen it encouraged and amplified to the point of insanity.

Civil discourse is great. Criticism is great. Sociopathy over some circuit boards and tiny screens is not great.

And no, I'm not opening comments on this, because I don't feel like being verbally abused by some of you today.

I agree 100% with what she said. Apple fanboys might like to show off their phone but the Android ones hate on others.

By order of the Mod this is gonna have to be the last i say.

All i did was criticise the iPhone 5. Like millions of others on the net. It was probably the single biggest let down in Tech ive seen in the last few years. Would have gladly bought one if it was better like i did with the iPhone 4S. Third of an inch and more power that wont even be used just isnt worth 600 quid to me.

Problem is as soon as you say something bad people call you a "troll" or a "fandroid". I didnt even mention android and people where calling me a fandroid. An iPhone 5 thread that you cant criticize the iPhone 5 or the lunatic consumerism that comes with it. Lets all just gather round and lie and say where all happy.

Hopefully the Lumia comes up with something worth buying. Might be a pile of ****e like other Nokias but its different at least.

DubDJ wrote: »
    Sociopathy over some circuit boards and tiny screens is not great.

Couldnt have said it better myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭FudgeBrace

Is the iPhone 5 even that much different from the iPhone 4s, and is it worth the hoopla it's recieving ? I'm most certainly not an apple hater, I'm dying for an iPhone myself. But can someone tell me way the big deal is with the iPhone 5? Because I just don't see it. Once again, NOT HATING

All i did was criticise the iPhone 5. Like millions of others on the net. It was probably the single biggest let down in Tech ive seen in the last few years. Would have gladly bought one if it was better like i did with the iPhone 4S. Third of an inch and more power that wont even be used just isnt worth 600 quid to me.

The 4S is one of the more incremental updates Apple has ever made to the iPhone. A tiny list of changes and identical in appearance to the previous model. Whereas the iPhone 5 has been completely redesigned internally with some cosmetic design changes to the exterior. But noticible changes imo. To me the change from the 4S to the 5 is one of the biggest updates Apple have ever made. It makes no sense to me you'd drop €600 quid for a better camera, processor, Siri but not for this latest model.

• Advertisement

The 4S is one of the more incremental updates Apple has ever made to the iPhone. A tiny list of changes and identical in appearance to the previous model. Whereas the iPhone 5 has been completely redesigned internally with some cosmetic design changes to the exterior. But noticible changes imo. To me the change from the 4S to the 5 is one of the biggest updates Apple have ever made. It makes no sense to me you'd drop €600 quid for a better camera, processor, Siri but not for this latest model.

4S was my first iPhone.

What apps will even use the extra tiny bit of screen that cant be used on a 4S? Also every app that i use runs smoothly so whats the extra power gonna be used for also? Is there any apps released now that are specifically for the 5?

edit -
    So instead of filling out the iPhone 5's 4-inch screen, the apps display the same size they do on the iPhone 4S. That means the iPhone 5 shows them in the middle of its screen with two black bars above and below the app.

Oh sweet jesus. Thats bad.

4S was my first iPhone.

What apps will even use the extra tiny bit of screen that cant be used on a 4S? Also every app that i use runs smoothly so whats the extra power gonna be used for also? Is there any apps released now that are specifically for the 5?

edit -

That's been known for quite some time. Apple told everybody at the keynote. There's already a number of apps in the App Store that support the new 4" screen. A lot of the big ones, social network apps, chrome, even a few games. It'll take time but eventually most apps will support it. I'm glad they added the extra row of icons. Now it's similar to the iPad, which I find much handier having the extra row for added convienence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Anyone with a 5 feel that it's actually faster than the OS allows it to be?

I think if iOS didn't have that animation to open apps or switch between them, then it would be even faster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Unfortunately it seems those that see the iphone 5 as a let down/inferior tech/not worth it.

Equate technological advancement to a large pentile matrix display with dayglo colours, weird blue tint off centre and a battery cover as flimsy as paper.

Also they don't mind paying the same kind of money for it you can get the 5 for. ;)
    So instead of filling out the iPhone 5's 4-inch screen, the apps display the same size they do on the iPhone 4S. That means the iPhone 5 shows them in the middle of its screen with two black bars above and below the app.

I though you said you weren't trolling. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Hurricane Carter

mad muffin wrote: »
    Unfortunately it seems those that see the iphone 5 as a let down/inferior tech/not worth it.

Equate technological advancement to a large pentile matrix display with dayglo colours, weird blue tint off centre and a battery cover as flimsy as paper.

Also they don't mind paying the same kind of money for it you can get the 5 for. ;)

I though you said you weren't trolling. :rolleyes:

So you think it's acceptable...maybe even a good thing?

It's ridiculous given they were slating the the Samsung tablet for doing the exact same thing!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

That's been known for quite some time. Apple told everybody at the keynote. There's already a number of apps in the App Store that support the new 4" screen. A lot of the big ones, social network apps, chrome, even a few games. It'll take time but eventually most apps will support it. I'm glad they added the extra row of icons. Now it's similar to the iPad, which I find much handier having the extra row for added convienence.

+1
    It took time for the apps to catch up with the Retina Display after the 3GS.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

kceire wrote: »
    +1
    It took time for the apps to catch up with the Retina Display after the 3GS.
    And that required a much bigger alteration to the previous resolution. This should see a swifter update than that, even.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 448 ✭✭tunedout

All i did was criticise the iPhone 5.

No you didn't, you criticised the people who buy it, quite insultingly.
    Its a gap in their personality that needs to be filled with consumerism. The need to feel part of a group. Makes them feel better about themselves.

To be very honest it looks to me like you have the personality gap. And it looks to me like you need to feel better about yourself by criticising what phone other people buy. If that's the phone they want, then so be it.

I like the iPhone 4 very much. I am buying a new phone in the next few weeks, it could be a Galaxy S3 or an iPhone 5, I'm not sure yet. I'm not going to get too excited or bothered either about it, they're both in an around the same, they both have different sets of pros and cons.

But I'll never understand those who have to criticise others, some childish OCD like tendency to lambaste those who bought a different phone (the iPhone especially).

I always thought it was jealousy/envy of something they could not afford. But it is still going on even from Galaxy S3 owners, and the price tag of the S3 is similar so there must be other reasons, I'm not sure, maybe a personality gap.

In any event, it's quite sad, especially when the subject is a bloody phone.

I'm starting to think there should be some official medical diagnosis for it.

I should have my iPhone 5 in the next hour or so, so I'll be commenting on scratching, flaws, blemishes and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Qwerty Dub

Anyone with a 5 feel that it's actually faster than the OS allows it to be?

I think if iOS didn't have that animation to open apps or switch between them, then it would be even faster.

The animation is definitely a factor. I used to have my iPhone 4 jailbroken & there is an app that lets you choose the speed of the animation or turn it off altogether.

The difference is massive. Stuff happens instantly. With it turned off it was hard to get used to, stuff happening too fast.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Hurricane Carter

Just on update on the maps thing:
    Reuters reports (via TheNextWeb) that Google's executive chairman Eric Schmidt has denied claims that the company has already submitted a Google Maps application to Apple's App Store.
    Google Inc. has not submitted a new Google Maps application to Apple Inc after the iPhone maker dropped the use of it in launching its newest device, the head of the world's top search engine provider said on Tuesday.
    The rumor emerged last week shortly after Apple launched iOS 6. In iOS 6, Apple replaced the Google-based Maps on iOS devices with the company's own solution. Apple's Maps have since drawn criticism for areas of poor coverage.

Schmidt told reporters, "We have not done anything yet" and stated that they've been talking to Apple for a long time and talk to them every day.

Update (Sept 25, 1:34am PT): Bloomberg has a slightly different interpretation of Schmidt's comments. Schmidt said that it was up to Apple to approve the app, though they claim that Schmidt declined to say if Google Maps had been submitted.
    “We haven’t done anything yet with Google Maps,” Schmidt told reporters in Tokyo today. Apple would “have to approve it. It’s their choice,” Schmidt said, declining to say if the Mountain View, California-based company submitted an application to Apple for sale through its App Store.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭fatherbuzcagney

culabula wrote: »
    I should have my iPhone 5 in the next hour or so, so I'll be commenting on scratching, flaws, blemishes and so on.

Anyone know where i can get screen replaced on iphone 5:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

What happened?

I'd take it to Belfast if you can or give Apple a call. I have a feeling that they may change the phone for free.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

What happened? Did you drop it?

Apple will replace the phone for free if its the blemish from manufacturing, but beware as they are actively asking if it had any impact damage and are asking over the phone where the blemish is on the phone.

Arrived at 1320. Nice white job. Up and running in a couple of minutes. No flaws whatsoever. Seems to require its supplied charger to charge and nothing else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

what..already?

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Arrived at 1320. Nice white job. Up and running in a couple of minutes. No flaws whatsoever. Seems to require its supplied charger to charge and nothing else.

Any chance you could change it for an SIII or a Note and go over to the Android forum and flame it?:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

As in the old chargers for the 4 don't work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭apeking

brophs wrote: »
    As in the old chargers for the 4 don't work?

I have been using my old iPhone 4 charger.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

I Am Kong! wrote: »
    So you think it's acceptable...maybe even a good thing?

It's ridiculous given they were slating the the Samsung tablet for doing the exact same thing!

Err no they were slating the Samsung for being a crap product and android as being a crap OS.

There will be a avalanche of app updates in the next few weeks and almost all decent apps will adjust to this better screen size. That is how the march of technology goes.

Advertisement