Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 5 - Discussion [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

tunedout wrote: »
    No you didn't, you criticised the people who buy it, quite insultingly.

To be very honest it looks to me like you have the personality gap. And it looks to me like you need to feel better about yourself by criticising what phone other people buy. If that's the phone they want, then so be it.

I like the iPhone 4 very much. I am buying a new phone in the next few weeks, it could be a Galaxy S3 or an iPhone 5, I'm not sure yet. I'm not going to get too excited or bothered either about it, they're both in an around the same, they both have different sets of pros and cons.

But I'll never understand those who have to criticise others, some childish OCD like tendency to lambaste those who bought a different phone (the iPhone especially).

I always thought it was jealousy/envy of something they could not afford. But it is still going on even from Galaxy S3 owners, and the price tag of the S3 is similar so there must be other reasons, I'm not sure, maybe a personality gap.

In any event, it's quite sad, especially when the subject is a bloody phone.

I'm starting to think there should be some official medical diagnosis for it.

As I said before ... think of it as one less iPhone buyer ... leaving it easier for the rest of us to get one ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

mad muffin wrote: »
    Unfortunately it seems those that see the iphone 5 as a let down/inferior tech/not worth it.

Equate technological advancement to a large pentile matrix display with dayglo colours, weird blue tint off centre and a battery cover as flimsy as paper.

Also they don't mind paying the same kind of money for it you can get the 5 for. ;)

I though you said you weren't trolling. :rolleyes:

Here we go again. This BS about people who werent impresssed with the iPhone 5 have to be a "fandroid".

What has android got to do with it? Seriously why do you keep mentioning android? What has the price of the S3 got to do with it?

Just because im not impressed with the iPhone 5 it somehow makes me a fandroid. I have a 4S and an S3. Stop assuming im a fandroid.

I would have gladly bought one if it was a good leap in technology no matter the cost because im obsessed with technology. I look at the actual technology rather than the brand. Thats what i did with the 4S (first iPhone) and the S3. I pretty much buy any new tech that is actually a good progression. A third of an inch and 700k letterboxed apps is not progression.

So far even in this thread people have done nothing but complain about how things are not as good as they should be but for some reason i get blasted for mentioning them because people assume im a fandroid. Seriously have a read back and youll see how let down and unexcited everyone is.

I follow a lot of build ups to big releases in the tech world hoping that they will be good and buy a lot of them. I can honestly say this is the worst anti-climax i have ever seen for something from a reliable brand. Id love to hear anyone else suggestions on what else was as big a let down.

If i offended anyone i apologise. Im not here trolling im just giving my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

Stop, just stop already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Hurricane Carter

Piliger wrote: »
    Err no they were slating the Samsung for being a crap product and android as being a crap OS.

There will be a avalanche of app updates in the next few weeks and almost all decent apps will adjust to this better screen size. That is how the march of technology goes.

Err no, if you bothered to watch Apple's keynote for iPad 3 you'd know I was referring to Apple when I said 'they'.

Thought that was obvious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Media999 wrote: »
    Here we go again. This BS about people who werent impresssed with the iPhone 5 have to be a "fandroid".

What has android got to do with it? Seriously why do you keep mentioning android? What has the price of the S3 got to do with it?

Just because im not impressed with the iPhone 5 it somehow makes me a fandroid. I have a 4S and an S3. Stop assuming im a fandroid.

I would have gladly bought one if it was a good leap in technology no matter the cost because im obsessed with technology. I look at the actual technology rather than the brand. Thats what i did with the 4S (first iPhone) and the S3. I pretty much buy any new tech that is actually a good progression. A third of an inch and 700k letterboxed apps is not progression.

So far even in this thread people have done nothing but complain about how things are not as good as they should be but for some reason i get blasted for mentioning them because people assume im a fandroid. Seriously have a read back and youll see how let down and unexcited everyone is.

I follow a lot of build ups to big releases in the tech world hoping that they will be good and buy a lot of them. I can honestly say this is the worst anti-climax i have ever seen for something from a reliable brand. Id love to hear anyone else suggestions on what else was as big a let down.

If i offended anyone i apologise. Im not here trolling im just giving my opinion.
    Where do I mention android or "fandriod"?

I am simply stating to you that you think the SG3 is such a technological marvel because it has a large screen.

I put it to you that the only thing the SG3 has over the iPhone 5 is that it has a larger screen.

And that a larger screen is not something to be held as superior.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭Gary The Gamer

I am simply stating to you that you think the SG3 is such a technological marvel because it has a large screen.

I put it to you that the only thing the SG3 has over the iPhone 5 is that it has a larger screen.

It has better specs than the iphone 5 and has been out since April. People were expecting a bit more from apple who did lead the pack in smarthphones for 2-3 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

+1 on this.

I constantly see people compare the 5 and S3 and not only specs. But how much of a let down the latest update to the iPhone was compared to the S3. The S3 had a bigger design change than the iPhone. But internally, which is more important, the iPhone underwent a lot more changes. The change from the S2 - S3 is a lot less significant.

Also I'm sick of people saying the only change is a 1/2" bigger screen and an extra row of icons. That's the usual bull I keep seeing. People only focus on how the phone looks different, which goes to show they aren't paying proper attention to what's really been updated.

Apple changed this phone inside and out. Even down to new speakers and mics. But still the same comments on how it has changed visually is all people focus on. Or lack of changes. I'd prefer a phone identical to the 4S with internal improvements over a whole new design anyday.

Why even mention the S3? Whats that to do with the fact the iPhone 5 was a let down for me? This is exactly what i mean about people assuming im some kind of S3 nut because im not impressed with the iPhone 5. Youve just proven my point.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Just to confirm, you've used the iPhone 5 for how long to come to your informed conclusions?

Graham wrote: »
    Just to confirm, you've used the iPhone 5 for how long to come to your informed conclusions?

Dont need to i have a 4S which is pretty much the same thing apart from a bit smaller.

remind me what parts of the phone i have to feel to understand?

• Advertisement

I see.

I actually have used both devices but I bow to your better understanding.

Graham wrote: »
    I see.

I actually have used both devices but I bow to your better understanding.

Whats the point in this?

Seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,533 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Dont need to i have a 4S which is pretty much the same thing apart from a bit smaller.

remind me what parts of the phone i have to feel to understand?

What are you trying to achieve with your post?

You don't have any experience of the 5 except for a spec sheet.

If you're not impressed, fair enough but why keep saying it?

Even criticising the phone because apps will have black borders on larger screen, before developers have had a chance to update apps.

If you can't see that the iPhone is different to a 4s then that's your problem.

If you think that the definition of a good phone is the highest numbers on a spec sheet then you are disregarding how it's all put together.

More megapixels don't make a camera better.
    More cores does not make it more faster.
    Bigger size does not make a battery better.
    More dpi doesn't actually make the screen better.

It's all to with the build quality and look of the phone first. Then how it operates, how all the component parts integrate. How it handles processing seamlessly without glitches, providing a good user experience without any hassle. How the unseen camera lenses and chip are better than before. How the software just works providing a pleasant user experience.

Most of all it also comes down to personal taste, I personally find the S3 too big, ugly and cheap looking, but that's my opinion and I'm sure it's a great phone.

I like the iPhone as I like the look of it, (you have to admit it's stylish) and it has the best apps and least problems (In my opinion), that will most likely change in the future when some new innovation comes along.

In the meantime I do wish people would just let people enjoy their choices, we live in great time to have all this wonderful technology , and stop judging people on what ultimately is a communications device not a lifestyle choice or statement of personality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

Whats the point in this?

Seriously.

Can you please stop derailing this thread. It's for discussion of iPhone 5, and every time I come into it your talking about how much better android is. Just go somewhere else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,942 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭fatherbuzcagney

what..already?

no ,just planning ahead:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

L5 wrote: »
    Can you please stop derailing this thread. It's for discussion of iPhone 5, and every time I come into it your talking about how much better android is. Just go somewhere else.

Ah I don't think he was. At times he just stated that he was disappointed with the iPhone 5 release and found it a bit of an anti-climax. That's a fair enough opinion to voice in a thread about the iPhone 5 I think. Not a massive derailment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

It has better specs than the iphone 5 and has been out since April. People were expecting a bit more from apple who did lead the pack in smarthphones for 2-3 years.

Specs aren't everything..... it's how you use them.

Very interesting reading.

Speed/Fastest IP5 Vs GS3

Camera IP5 Vs GS3

Display IP5 Vs GS3

symbolic wrote: »
    Ah I don't think he was. At times he just stated that he was disappointed with the iPhone 5 release and found it a bit of an anti-climax. That's a fair enough opinion to voice in a thread about the iPhone 5 I think. Not a massive derailment.

To some people this is a praise the iPhone 5 thread not a iPhone 5 thread.

Absolutely unbelievable that someone would come out and say ive derailed the thread by saying im not impressed with the iPhone 5. Thats a new one.

They ask me questions then ask me why i keep replying.

Speed/Fastest IP5 Vs GS3

Camera IP5 Vs GS3

Display IP5 Vs GS3

Oh no not more comparisons to the S3 :D

This is getting tiring now.

What would be great is to discuss the iPhone 4S vs the 5 and the progression that has been made in technology in 12 months by Apple.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Absolutely unbelievable that someone would come out and say ive derailed the thread by saying im not impressed with the iPhone 5. Thats a new one.

I could unserstand your frustration if you posted it once or twice, but seriously, i think you may have posted it 100 times across this and other apple forum threads, i think thats why peopple are getting tired of your posts, nothing personal.
    Oh no not more comparisons to the S3 :D

This is getting tiring now.

In fairness, the S3 is the biggest competitior to the iPhone 5 at present, that may change in the coming months, but at the moment, you need to compare it to an S3.

Its like the way BMW M3's are always put up against the Audi S4, its just the way it is, ohh and the way Superman is put up against Lex Luthor :D
    What would be great is to discuss the iPhone 4S vs the 5 and the progression that has been made in technology in 12 months by Apple.

Thats a thread i wouldnt mind seeing too to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

Can't we all just get along! :)

The iPhone 5 and iOS operating system together is a fantastic piece of technology. As is the galaxy s3 with Android and the Nokia Lumia with WP8.

You can not say one is better than the other, its not that straight forward. There is so much involved with each product. They all out do each other in certain places and vice versa.

I can see why media999 was disappointed with the iPhone 5 release but can also see why it will sell millions.

I'm a software developer myself and would love to be able to say I contributed to any of these great OS's.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

symbolic wrote: »
    Can't we all just get along! :)

No.

Posted in the Apple Forum from my Archos 7 Android based tablet :D

kceire wrote: »
    I could unserstand your frustration if you posted it once or twice, but seriously, i think you may have posted it 100 times across this and other apple forum threads, i think thats why peopple are getting tired of your posts, nothing personal.

In fairness, the S3 is the biggest competitior to the iPhone 5 at present, that may change in the coming months, but at the moment, you need to compare it to an S3.

Its like the way BMW M3's are always put up against the Audi S4, its just the way it is, ohh and the way Superman is put up against Lex Luthor :D

Thats a thread i wouldnt mind seeing too to be honest.

I can understand the comparisons BUT its not fair that as soon as someone gets a hint that someone owns an S3 or any other Samsung they start coming up with this fandroid crap and turn it into an Apple vs Samsung thread. This is what all the hostility revolves around. Thats why ive tried my best not to mention the S3 here as it attracts the wrong replies and lowers the tone of the thread to the point of personal insults.

As ive said all ready i love Tech not Apple or Samsung and gladly spend money on anything new and exciting. Myself and Captain Morgan there are on the same level id say.

At this rate id say the next big step will be Google Glass. realistically what can any phone maker do to make a phone exciting? Its just not impressive in any way anymore.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

culabula wrote: »
    I should have my iPhone 5 in the next hour or so, so I'll be commenting on scratching, flaws, blemishes and so on.

Well??!

Phil says not to worry anyway, scratching and scuffing is absolutely normal...

http://www.bgr.com/2012/09/25/iphone-5-aluminum-scratching-apple-response/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Speed/Fastest IP5 Vs GS3

Camera IP5 Vs GS3

Display IP5 Vs GS3

I just ran geekbench on my SGS3 to see if the facts touted in your Speed/Fastest link could be relied upon, and guess what, they can't and the SGS3 roundly trounces the iPhone 5.

Selective and outright false fanboism from either side of the divide is tiresome at best.

screenshot2012092520535.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Inquitus wrote: »
    I just ran geekbench on my SGS3 to see if the facts touted in your Speed/Fastest link could be relied upon, and guess what, they can't and the SGS3 roundly trounces the iPhone 5.

Selective and outright false fanboism from either side of the divide is tiresome at best.

Ok, well done, you win

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Inquitus wrote: »

Any chance at all that they tested with the dual core US version of the phone and you have the European quad core version?

So the quad-core Galaxy S3 seems to be better than the iPhone 5, or on par with it in Geekbench Browser tests, depending on what version we’re talking about. As for the dual-core Galaxy S3, it’s still trailing behind the iPhone 5. We’ll certainly keep an eye on those tests and see how the Galaxy S3 performs once it receives the Jelly Bean update.

Source: http://www.androidauthority.com
    iPhone 5 vs Galaxy S3 benchmarking – which one is better?

So 4 cores outperforms 2 (slightly).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Think we're nearly back on track now :D......

In relation to the scratching an scuffs. In a way he's correct... it is normal. But that doesn't mean we have to he happy about it. I don't know if Apple could of done anything to stop it being scratched. It's a negative that comes with the new stronger back. However the phone coming from Apple with damage out of the box is completely unacceptable. If mine comes like that it'll be straight back to Apple.

Advertisement