Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 5 - Discussion [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST]

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mine was mint out of the box but I did go for the white model this time after reading of potential scratching issues.

One thing that was pointed out to me earlier which made me think about it. The USB cable is a really tight fit, so much so you have to use the USB end of the cable itself to pull the cable out. Anyone else notice that?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

culabula wrote: »
    Arrived at 1320. Nice white job. Up and running in a couple of minutes. No flaws whatsoever. Seems to require its supplied charger to charge and nothing else.

Appears they've added an authentication chip so no-one can make cheaper cables, tying you in to their €20 cables. Bit of sharp practise

http://www.bgr.com/2012/09/25/unofficial-lightning-cable-iphone-5/

Apparently the pins on the Lightning cable can be dynamically reassigned according to what it's connected to. If this is a microcontroller to manage that than fair enough.

If it's just an authentication chip to prevent clones then I'd agree. Poor show apple.

I'll reserve judgment for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

copacetic wrote: »
    Appears they've added an authentication chip so no-one can make cheaper cables, tying you in to their €20 cables. Bit of sharp practise

Thats just horrible.

I must have six cables around the house connected to PCs laptops and whatever else has USB. Just ordered a pile from China that do the job fine. Got them for a couple of euro each. Same with mini USB.

How can anyone possibly think that its for anything else. The chips that switch could easily be put in the phone altogether and just have dumb cables.

Talk about getting screwed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

That story is inaccurate. The chip is there to dynamically adapt to different signals, not to shut down third party manufacturers. It's actually pretty cool and innovative. I'm surprised Apple didn't make a bigger deal out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭Gary The Gamer

It's par for the course really, a continuation of the walled garden.

That story is inaccurate. The chip is there to dynamically adapt to different signals, not to shut down third party manufacturers. It's actually pretty cool and innovative. I'm surprised Apple didn't make a bigger deal out of it.

Me arse. :D

Innovative would be a mini USB cable so everything is universal.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Any link to that?

It appears to be in series with V+ line based on this tear down
    http://gizmodo.com/5945889/some-third+party-adapters-might-not-work-with-your-new-iphone

So it's not going to do much dynamic adapting, but will prevent anyone making a 3 or 4€ charging cable which would work perfectly otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

So, a friend of mine from the UK managed to get his hands on the iPhone 5, and was nice enough to let me have a long play with it while he was visiting over the weekend.

As I now have an S3, and it's the best device to compare it to, I'll do so.

1) The shape look of the device.
    It feels good, and is very light. It is lighter than the S3, but it's really hardly noticeable for any device this weight now.

2) The camera is (finally) taking quick pictures, which is basically to be expected on any device of such expense.
    On a fine detail scale, it is a bit better than the S3. But comparing from a casual glance, they seem to be about equal.

3) The look of the OS.
    This is where I have the hardest time with iPhone 5.
    It's not bad looking on the screen, it's just so... bland. iOS hasn't really changed in a long time, and comparing the look of the 4S and 5 doesn't really strike as a big or worthwhile change. The only stand out difference was the extra row of apps.

It's not that iOS is bad, because it's not. It's just it's been a few years of the same thing, and it still lacks the customization so many people look for in a phone.
    Siri is still quite dodgy here in Ireland, and even though I don't have a strong accent, it had a really hard time understanding me, taking me 5 attempts to simply get directions to Cork Airport. SVoice on the other hand has never had a problem with my accent.

Overall. It's a good phone. It's just not great. The jump from the 3GS to 4 was massive, but sadly the jump from 4S to 5 is minor and hardly justifies such passion, as the majority of things on the 5 are already available on the 4/4S.

I'm saying this honestly, and as non-biased as I can as a long time iPhone user. But the S3 really does give more bang for your buck, is just as easy to use and actually feels more fun and provides you with so much more for less money.

Stick to the 4S if you refuse to go to Samsung, and wait for a 5S which will hopefully give people what they deserve.

Media999 wrote: »

The Galaxy S3 has a different microUSB port than other Android devices, as the port’s pins have been rearranged. That means the Galaxy S3 will not work with standard MHL (Mobile High-definition Link) adapters, which let users connect smartphones that come with microUSB ports to big-screen TVs.

Source: androidauthority.com
    Galaxy S3 HDMI ‘issues’ appear, new MHL adapter needed

• Advertisement

Sonics2k wrote: »

Stick to the 4S if you refuse to go to Samsung, and wait for a 5S which will hopefully give people what they deserve.

Nice honest review.

Now heres the thing. What would you expect to see in the 5S that makes it worth waiting for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Home:Ballyhoura

Can someone kindly explain to me briefly the pros and cons of ordering an iPhone 5 on prepay from Three versus ordering directly from Apple. Some things I'm interested to find out below. Obviously some answers will have to be guesses but I have no idea so anything is better than nothing! Also, for what it's worth I'm currently on Vodafone prepay just using a standard size sim card.
    • Availability: How long would I be waiting if I pre-order from Three now, and how long would I be waiting if I bought on from Apple online on Friday?
    • Cost: 679 euro for the 8GB on Three website, will it be the same price for the unlocked version from Apple website on Friday?
    • Protection/Cover: If I buy from Three I know you can take out an insurance cover for a year or whatever, can you do this if I buy directly from Apple? I think their protection plan you can take out only covers faults right?
    • Unlocked vs Three: So obviously an unlocked iPhone 5 sounds more appealing, as it won't tie me down to any particular network and would make selling it on easier. However, on the unlocked iPhone 4S FAQs it says that the unlocked iPhone won't work on CDMA-based carriers such as Verizon Wireless or Sprint in the US. It seems to only work with GSM carriers. I'm not exactly sure what this means, but I do plan on spending time in the US and also Europe for the next while so would the unlocked phone still be no good to me abroad?
    • Buy in Ireland or US: I will be travelling to US and Europe in the next few months. While at the moment it seems only the iPhone 4S is available to buy unlocked in the states, if the iPhone 5 was available unlocked (when could this be?) while I was there, I'm sure it would work out cheaper but would it still be able to work here in Ireland just the same as if I bought it directly from Three or would there be any differences or compatibility issues?

Apologies for all the questions, as you can tell I'm not the most up to date on these kind of things, but just don't want to take the plunge and realise afterwards I made a mistake! Thanks in advance for the help, I genuinely really appreciate it! Cheers

Graham wrote: »
    The Galaxy S3 has a different microUSB port than other Android devices, as the port’s pins have been rearranged. That means the Galaxy S3 will not work with standard MHL (Mobile High-definition Link) adapters, which let users connect smartphones that come with microUSB ports to big-screen TVs.

Source: androidauthority.com
    Galaxy S3 HDMI ‘issues’ appear, new MHL adapter needed

It charges it. Simple as that. Thats all i need. Same cable charges my Tablet as it does my phone.

If different manufacturers want to change the media output etc.. fair enough but if every phone had the same charger that is progress.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Any link to that?

It appears to be in series with V+ line based on this tear down
    http://gizmodo.com/5945889/some-third+party-adapters-might-not-work-with-your-new-iphone

So it's not going to do much dynamic adapting, but will prevent anyone making a 3 or 4€ charging cable which would work perfectly otherwise.

http://brockerhoff.net/blog/2012/09/23/boom-pins/

Gizmodo is making up sh*t as usual.

Nice honest review.

Now heres the thing. What would you expect to see in the 5S that makes it worth waiting for?

Actual NFC would be nice. It'd be nice knowing the device is completely set for the future and new tech. Especially when it's an Apple product.

Better customization of iOS and the phone would be fantastic, possibly widgets. And for crying out loud, a better battery life. I know it's got some new hardware going on, but after 2 hours of solid playing around with it the battery was down to 60%.
    Maybe, just maybe, a native FM radio player. I know it's old fashioned, but people really want to use them.

It's really not that the iPhone 5 is bad, it's a great piece of tech. It's just got no oomph to it. The SIII does.
    If I'm honest I haven't wanted to put down my SIII since I got it. I watched a HD movie, while chatting to my girlfriend on Facebook and tabbing over to boards.ie this morning. All at the same time. Without even a touch of lag.

I know that's not a major thing, but this is the kind of stuff the iPhone 5 should be capable of doing.

We expect more from Apple, just like we expect more from Ferrari, because of the high position they are held in.

Actual NFC would be nice. It'd be nice knowing the device is completely set for the future and new tech. Especially when it's an Apple product.

Better customization of iOS and the phone would be fantastic, possibly widgets. And for crying out loud, a better battery life. I know it's got some new hardware going on, but after 2 hours of solid playing around with it the battery was down to 60%.
    Maybe, just maybe, a native FM radio player. I know it's old fashioned, but people really want to use them.

It's really not that the iPhone 5 is bad, it's a great piece of tech. It's just got no oomph to it. The SIII does.
    If I'm honest I haven't wanted to put down my SIII since I got it. I watched a HD movie, while chatting to my girlfriend on Facebook and tabbing over to boards.ie this morning. All at the same time. Without even a touch of lag.

I know that's not a major thing, but this is the kind of stuff the iPhone 5 should be capable of doing.

We expect more from Apple, just like we expect more from Ferrari, because of the high position they are held in.

Have you installed JellyBean?

Have you installed JellyBean?

Not yet. I'll wait and have a bit more play-about with Ice-Cream so I can do a proper comparison of both.

Not yet. I'll wait and have a bit more play-about with Ice-Cream so I can do a proper comparison of both.

If you think its fast now. My God.

Not gonna derail this thread so check it out elsewhere.

About the iPhone even if they put those in i cant see it becoming an exciting phone. By the time a 5S is released the phones that others will have out will be way better. Their better now. Android 5.0 will be released and so will another wave of even better phones.

Really dont see the point in waiting myself. Its just not worth waiting for.

Can someone kindly explain to me briefly the pros and cons of ordering an iPhone 5 on prepay from Three versus ordering directly from Apple.

Sorry Home:Ballyhoura, missed your question in all the noise. Ignore list has now sorted that.

If you're buying in Ireland I'd get it directly from apple rather than buying prepay from a network. Price is likely to be almost the same but the one from apple will not be locked to a network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

brophs wrote: »
    As in the old chargers for the 4 don't work?

Mine wouldn't, but I haven't done a thorough investigation yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

AND it is an EU directive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

If you think its fast now. My God.

Not gonna derail this thread so check it out elsewhere.

About the iPhone even if they put those in i cant see it becoming an exciting phone. By the time a 5S is released the phones that others will have out will be way better. Their better now. Android 5.0 will be released and so will another wave of even better phones.

Really dont see the point in waiting myself. Its just not worth waiting for.

The iPhone 5 actually smokes the competition, contrary to the ill-informed Androidism on this forum. Interestingly, on OPenGL tests the top 4 devices are all Apple, including the last generation phone, and the last generation iPad. All better at playing games, and other animations which use OPenGL in the backend - which Apple does a lot - than the competition. The browser is better too.

http://www.redmondpie.com/iphone-5-performance-benchmarks-detailed-its-the-fastest-smartphone-available-today/

( Note: RemondPie is not an Apple fan site, as you may guess by the name).

No need for a 5S - which may well be quad core, of course. The reason why iOS smokes the competition is it is technically better than Android, as it is is a mature OS based on OS X, itself based on Next. You could argue that the internet was invented on an iPhone.

Apple have added additions to the language i.e. C , blocks, grand central dispatch, and openCL - which uses the GPU, of which they have 3 in their latest system - which makes threading easier for programmers, and their API in general. Adding cores is meaningless if nobody uses them. Adding cores to the iPhone does mean something.

A Java OS is not going to manage to compete on the same hardware, or as we see - better hardware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Simon201

Buy in Ireland or US: I will be travelling to US and Europe in the next few months. While at the moment it seems only the iPhone 4S is available to buy unlocked in the states, if the iPhone 5 was available unlocked (when could this be?) while I was there, I'm sure it would work out cheaper but would it still be able to work here in Ireland just the same as if I bought it directly from Three or would there be any differences or compatibility issues?

I may be going down the US purchase route myself but it seems that the warranty may not be valid outside of US which could be a problem if it goes wrong...
    It could be the middle of October before it's sold unlocked in the US (there was a month to wait before the 4s was sold unlocked last year)

It would be definitely be cheaper though, and you'd have to make sure you were buying the right model for use here but I'm sure the staff would advise. The 64gb would work out a little over 700 euro at todays rates compared to 900 euro here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭davenewt

Simon201 wrote: »
    It could be the middle of October before it's sold unlocked in the US (there was a month to wait before the 4s was sold unlocked last year)
    Verizon are already selling them unlocked by default - apparently (link)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Tazium

You could argue that the internet was invented on an iPhone.

That's not even remotely correct and detracts from your otherwise valid comments.

I've an iPhone 4 that does everything I need at this time, I'll be investing in the iPhone 5 because it has everything I want at this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Tazium wrote: »
    That's not even remotely correct and detracts from your otherwise valid comments.

I've an iPhone 4 that does everything I need at this time, I'll be investing in the iPhone 5 because it has everything I want at this time.

slightly tongue in cheek:

I meant the original NEXT box, not the actual iPhone. However, the iPhone is a logical descendent of that NEXT box which TBL used, except faster of course. The language is the same, the tools are descendants of what he used to code. Objective C, Interface builder, and xCode ( from Project Builder). Not as refined as .Net, maybe, but there is a clear continuum, and almost certainly shared code in the lower level APIs. it could be worth trying to build his stuff on an iPhone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,937 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Simon201 wrote: »
    I may be going down the US purchase route myself but it seems that the warranty may not be valid outside of US which could be a problem if it goes wrong...

It would be definitely be cheaper though, and you'd have to make sure you were buying the right model for use here but I'm sure the staff would advise. The 64gb would work out a little over 700 euro at todays rates compared to 900 euro here.

Beware though. There is a good chance that your US iPhone won't be compatible when LTE comes to Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

I have just been on a live chat with a meteor sales person and....
    SP: Hi ****. My name's SP. I'll be your Meteor sales advisor for today, how can I help?

****: Hi, can you give me any details on iphone 5 plans!?

****: Do you know when they will be announced!?

SP: Hi ****, yes I can provide you with the prices but we don't have a date as if yet for release.

****: cool

SP: In my own opinion, we'll have it in the next week or two max.

****: OK, what are the prices then!?

SP: Which one are you looking for? 16/32/64GB?

****: 16gb on a 24 month contract

SP: The price of the iphone 5 16GB on our 24 month plan at €45/month is €149.00

SP: That includes 200 minutes and 200 any network texts 5GB of data and UNLIMITED meteor calls and texts.

****: cheers, Im currently at the end of my 12 month contract and due an upgrade, will this get me any disscount!?

SP: Unfortunately not Neal. That's the cheapest plan for the iphone5 that we have at the moment.

SP: The price of that on pay as you go is €679

****: OK thanks, how much are the 32gb and 64gb on the same plan!?

SP: €199.00 and €299.00

****: great thanks for the info.

SP: No problem at all ****.

****: Will ye be taking pre-orders on them!?

SP: I'm afraid not ****, going to be first come first serve.

SP: I am sure we'll get plenty of them in though. It seems like everyone in Ireland wants one at the moment :)

****: OK thank you again! I have had these question for a while, you have been a great help!

SP: No bother at all. We only go the pricing in there yesterday so that's why you were finding a bit of trouble with that.

Havnt seen this anywhere before, apolgies if its on this thread already!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I have just been on a live chat with a meteor sales person and....

Havnt seen this anywhere before, apolgies if its on this thread already!

Ignore Me, Sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Aodhagan wrote: »
    Beware though. There is a good chance that your US iPhone won't be compatible when LTE comes to Ireland.
    He'll probably be upgrading to iPhone 6S by the time that happens!

Advertisement