Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 5 - Discussion [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭splashthecash

niallharty wrote: »
    128 gb!! :eek:

Thats-a-spicy-meata-ball!!

32gb would be MORE than enough for me.....we're getting into silly sizes at this stage

with the new 1080p video quality. 1 minute of video is 178mb that means an hour is about 10 gb!! Some people are big into photography and video so they'd need the 128GB plus if you like to have 1080p HD movies on your phone that's gonna need a lot of storage. Other people love the app stores variety of games and are big into playing games on their iPhone too, with some games taking 300MB

Good points - it probably would get eaten up pretty quickly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

My 3GS is crawling these days too. Luckily/unluckily, I'm not in a financial position to upgrade, otherwise I'd have bought a 4S months ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

This always bothered me: it will be the sixth iPhone. It will not be called iPhone 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭kenyard

Zascar - what is the deal with Android updates? I hear its not the same with iOS updates (i.e. everyone gets them at the same time) - is it down the to phone manufacturer or your network provider when they are released?

Something crazy like only 7% of Android phones have ICS on them - which is ridiculous, that would drive me mad knowing that an update is out there and I couldn't get it.

true... but you see what some people say near your post.. they have the 3gs and it crawls with ios5..
    I tried putting a rom with ics 4.0.3 on my htc desire (2 year old phone-top notch at the time) and it lagged and was iffy at best..phone just wasnt good enough for a modern os. with the rate phones have progressed its like you trying to install windows 7 or the mac version of an OS on an old laptop or pc you had years ago.. the pc wont have the capability to run it as its hardware just isnt good enough..or well it will..but just wont run it right and decent enough to be acceptable by modern standards...(people are impatient nowadays - or maybe i speak for myself

phone manufacturers put their own touch on phones on android's OS to make it their own experience. so they have to get the google update, modify their software for the phone and then update it..generally takes a month or so..older phones are neglected, for reasons above pretty much...depends on how much tweaking they do etc... then your phone seller rolls out the update to you usually...(meteor, three etc.. so that can take some time too)

the next iphone should be an interesting announcement. tbh the iphone 4s spec was nice.. they will surely come out with a quad core phone. thats just my opinion
    my guess is similar spec to the htc one x and galaxy s3.. though the specifics wont be announced... phone just 6 months later as per usual...

will be interesting anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,533 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I'll certainly try but I don't think Apple are ahead of the curve with regard smartphones as much as they were even a year ago. When I first tried Android on a Samsung a couple of years ago the flicking from one screen to another even was miles behind an iPhone, now its pretty seamless.

Apple are going to have to pull something special out of the bag to keep them up to date with what is currently out there.

If Android's screen flicking was miles behind an iPhone but now seamless, surely that only means that it's caught up with iPhone ?

What are you expecting them to pull out of the bag?

I really don't see how the 4s is that far behind with what is 'out there' and iOS 6 looks good and I'm sure the new iPhone will have an impressive spec as well.

Really don't know why people think Apple are behind and need to do something....really is laughable. People said 4s was a disaster but it sold millions.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

murpho999 wrote: »
    Really don't know why people think Apple are behind and need to do something....really is laughable. People said 4s was a disaster but it sold millions.
    Sales figures aren't everything. Justin Beiber, Jedward etc.

Apple is more of a marketing company than it is a forward driving technology company these days.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

banquo wrote: »
    This always bothered me: it will be the sixth iPhone. It will not be called iPhone 5.
    This bothers me. Who cares what people call it before it comes out? It's just a reference to the next iPhone that everyone gets!

The world didn't end when Apple called the anticipated iPad 3 "the new iPad". ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Zascar wrote: »

Apple is more of a marketing company than it is a forward driving technology company these days.

Apple invented this industry. iOS is still ahead of Android, in fact the latest Android JB - which most Android users won't get for years - has added some performance enhancements to make it smoother. It has to do this because it obviously wasn't smooth to being with. This is playing catch up with native code like on iOS. As i said, Apple is an OS company, Google isn't.

iOS 6 is not spectacular - I bet they have a 2 year model for really big releases now - but it is still in front and is only months from the last release. iOS will always be in front because a JAVA OS is not going to be as good as native code.

In terms of the apps you get using the latest technology iOS will always take the devs. The latest stats were 80% on iOS 5, which means devs can target iOS 5 now and ignore iOS 4.x. Sometime next year they can target iOS 6 exclusively. JB is on 0% and ICS is on 10% of all devices, so devs are targeting earlier releases. Which obviates any API advantage.

Given this reality - and the larger amount of money to be made on the iOS ecosystem, which includes the touch and the iPad, iOS will always be the platform of choice for new apps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Doodah7

I'm afraid you are being somewhat naive. In business, and Apple are a textbook case, sales mean EVERYTHING.

Sales=turnover and - for Apple especially - turnover=profits.

You can have the most fantastic, state of the art, super duper phone the world has ever seen. If it doesn't sell then it is a failure, pure and simple.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

You are absolutely correct, in business terms it is everything. I however am trying to say that just because one product sells more than another, it does not mean its technologically superior. 90%+ of people out there are not looking for the best & nerdiest phone out there, they are just looking for a good one - which apple does very well and markets better than anyone on the planet. My personal opinion is that new Android phones like the HTC One X etc are simply overall better phones than the iPhone.

• Advertisement

You are absolutely correct, in business terms it is everything. I however am trying to say that just because one product sells more than another, it does not mean its technologically superior. 90%+ of people out there are not looking for the best & nerdiest phone out there, they are just looking for a good one - which apple does very well and markets better than anyone on the planet. My personal opinion is that new Android phones like the HTC One X etc are simply overall better phones than the iPhone.

Yes, but you are wrong, even though you repeated yourself three times. And they reason you are wrong is that you are not technical enough to understand the difference between the OSes. You've also been sidestepping my rebuttals because you are not technical enough to understand those either I wager.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Hahahaha^^^^

What a pile of ****

Mactard wrote: »
    Hahahaha^^^^

What a pile of ****

Lol, you are pointing to nothing. How stupid is that. If you want to discuss the technical innards of both OSes go ahead, I doubt you have an idea. Otherwise go troll somewhere else.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Lol, you are pointing to nothing. How stupid is that. If you want to discuss the technical innards of both OSes go ahead, I doubt you have an idea. Otherwise go troll somewhere else.

I don't, this thread is about the iphone 5, not the technical innards of iOS and Android. I'm sure with your smarts you can find an appropriate thread to continue your discussion, you're clearly very clever so tracking down the right place to post should be a doddle for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Point accepted and in particular that the vast, vast majority of the market is not interested in clock speed, custom ROM's etc. of Android phones. Therefore at the end of the day it doesn't really matter if the HTC One X or Sony Xperia S or whatever is a technically better phone than the iPhone. It is sales that counts and the iPhone 4S has outsold and outperformed pretty much any individual phone that has gone up against it. It is on this metric alone that the 4S is benchmarked by the market. All the nerds and fanbois in the world can't change this.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭tigershould

i'm not buying all this "if you're a real techy then Android is better" b0ll0x.

i consider myself techy and ios allows me to tinker no end

if you're a real techy, you would just jailbreak and get full access to your iphone.

i'm not buying all this "if you're a real techy then Android is better" b0ll0x.

i consider myself techy and ios allows me to tinker no end

if you're a real techy, you would just jailbreak and get full access to your iphone.

Yeah, jailbreaking is just "rooting". Real real techies - i.e. people who code for them both, prefer iPhones.

That said I think Apple should make rooting easier. Give a warning if needs be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

I hope this will remain civil and within the limits of lively and informed debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Real real techies - i.e. people who code for them both, prefer iPhones.

I'm interested on seeing the stats that back this up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭splashthecash

all this technical speak....can we please just get back to asking the same question over and over again in countless different ways i.e. when is the iPhone 5 coming out??, will it be out soon?, has anyone heard rumours of a release date?, they'll have to release by christmas, my mother's, sister's, brother's housemate has a dog who peed against a tree that an apple employee was leaning against and she said it would be out in October

:pac:

• Advertisement

im laughing at the comments about them being better phones because of iOS.

why not keep your iphone 2 ro 3 and just update the iOS if its just the software that makes it so awesome... oh wait... lag etc... :P

you need the hardware to back up the phone and os. im sure they will supply. but it should be interesting to see.. to me this is a huge huge time for apple. either they pull soemthing out of the bag or not.
    i can see a bigger phone coming out tbh. bigger screen anyways

kenyard wrote: »
    im laughing at the comments about them being better phones because of iOS.

why not keep your iphone 2 ro 3 and just update the iOS if its just the software that makes it so awesome... oh wait... lag etc... :P

you need the hardware to back up the phone and os. im sure they will supply. but it should be interesting to see.. to me this is a huge huge time for apple. either they pull soemthing out of the bag or not.
    i can see a bigger phone coming out tbh. bigger screen anyways

The fact that iOS 5 runs on the 3GS which is, what, more than 3 years old this year proves that the OS is in fact more optimised than Android. in Fact the 3GS is getting iOS 6, while Jelly Bean is restricted to phones from this year.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/12/07/05/apples_next_iphone_rumored_to_feature_quad_core_processor.html

Its both the OS and the Hardware. I am sure that the iPhone 5 will have a spectacular processor - rumours are of a quad core - but the OS will run on the 3GS nevertheless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

The fact that iOS 5 runs on the 3GS which is, what, more than 3 years old this year proves that the OS is in fact more optimised than Android.
    It really only proves that Apple are more interested in offering stripped down versions of the latest OS release to older hardware owners than Android handset developers or carriers are. Unlike Apple and iOS, Google aren't the last word in Android.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

The fact that iOS 5 runs on the 3GS which is, what, more than 3 years old this year proves that the OS is in fact more optimised than Android. in Fact the 3GS is getting iOS 6, while Jelly Bean is restricted to phones from this year.

Its both the OS and the Hardware. I am sure that the iPhone 5 will have a spectacular processor - rumours are of a quad core - but the OS will run on the 3GS nevertheless.

I doubt it. If they didn't put a quad core CPU in the iPad 3 then why would they with the iPhone 5?
    I think quad core graphics and a 1Ghz clock speed, up from 800mhz with 1GB of ram is what's going to be in it. But I could be wrong. Apple isn't as predictable as everyone thinks so who knows;)

It really only proves that Apple are more interested in offering stripped down versions of the latest OS release to older hardware owners than Android handset developers or carriers are. Unlike Apple and iOS, Google aren't the last word in Android.

it proves the latest OS works on older devices.

so why buy a new iphone then instead of just upgrading os?
    camera?
    later os work on all or most android devices too.. just not as good as you would want generally...

its also the huge amount of android devices available to suit various needs that mean there is no reason to keep updating the 500+ different types of phones.. rather than the one type to suit all method...

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭tigershould

i have an iphone 4 and it does everything i want from a phone but i need it to be faster:

because i love taking photo's and video's and using iMovie to create short movie's. the problem with the 4 is that the processor just isnt fast enough for my liking - so i want a faster processor and better camera (especially the flash) and to move the camera lens as its on the wrong side if using the volume button to trigger.

i know the iphone4s improved the processor and camera but i held out for an extra year to get the new 5 (or whatever they will call it)

to be honest guys, what more can you do to a product (all smartphones) that is probably more than mature now ? not a lot in my opinion. anyone asking for some amazing announcement of some unforeseen technology are just fooling themselves.

smart phones can only get faster, bigger, smaller, slimmer etc - the rest will come from software improvements, app developments.

oh, except for things like NFC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,533 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

i have an iphone 4 and it does everything i want from a phone but i need it to be faster:

because i love taking photo's and video's and using iMovie to create short movie's. the problem with the 4 is that the processor just isnt fast enough for my liking - so i want a faster processor and better camera (especially the flash) and to move the camera lens as its on the wrong side if using the volume button to trigger.

i know the iphone4s improved the processor and camera but i held out for an extra year to get the new 5 (or whatever they will call it)

to be honest guys, what more can you do to a product (all smartphones) that is probably more than mature now ? not a lot in my opinion. anyone asking for some amazing announcement of some unforeseen technology are just fooling themselves.

smart phones can only get faster, bigger, smaller, slimmer etc - the rest will come from software improvements, app developments.

oh, except for things like NFC.

Sorry but if you love taking photos and videos then buy a real camera.

As an avid SLR Camera user it makes me laugh when I hear people say they love photography and only have a camera phone (and I don't care how many megapixels it has!).

• Advertisement

murpho999 wrote: »
    Sorry but if you love taking photos and videos then buy a real camera.

As an avid SLR Camera user it makes me laugh when I hear people say they love photography and only have a camera phone (and I don't care how many megapixels it has!).

Why? the iPhone has a good camera and good post processing software.
    annie leibovitz uses one.

Advertisement