Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 5 - Discussion [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Hogzy wrote: »
    I cant believe there are people out there willing to spend €900 on a mobile phone.

I have been between android and iPhone for the passed 3 years. Iv been using a 4s for the passed year and its been a great phone. I really like it but if i were to loose it (touch wood) there is no way in hell i would buy an iPhone again. They are just not worth the HUGE price tag.

Amazon sell 64gb Micro SD cards for €50, And Adverts have top of the range Android phones for circa €400 which are on par specs wise with the iPhone 5.

IMO iPhones are a great phone. But I just cant justify the price tag.

To those who have bought the iPhone 5 sim free... Deep down do ye really think its worth it?

It's the operating system that keeps me using iPhone. Plain and simple that's the main reason. Just not into Android. Also buying billpay is actually more expensive than sim free. Just doesn't seem it as its spread over 2 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

I was in CPW on Grafton St about 20mins ago and they were just after receiving a box of 16GBs. The guy there said the 32s and 64s are very thin on the ground.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

To those who have bought the iPhone 5 Galaxy S3 sim free... Deep down do ye really think its worth it?

You could replace that whole post with SGS3 in there and its still valid. :)
    Is any phone worth that money....well it depnds.

I know some people who dont have a laptop/PC or broadband at home, they use their phone as their internet connection, whether that be at home or on the go.

It depends on perspective too, if i woke up tomorrow fresh and wanted an iPhone, i wouldnt have the spare cash to buy sim free, but because of my upgrade system, whereby i just sold my IP4 on adverts, got an S3 for buttons on upgrade and sold that on Adverts, the cash earned paid for a sim free iPhone from Apple, i do it every 2 years without fail and it works. I dont have to hand over any cash as such out of my pocket.

Again, its like cars. Some people see tham as a way f getting A-B, others enjoy cars and want that something extra etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

kceire wrote: »
    You could replace that whole post with SGS3 in there and its still valid. :)

Well yes obviously. But the Galaxy S3 is nowhere near the same price as the iPhone. We all know the iPhone wont come down in price until next year when it will probably drop by less than 10%. The 4s only dropped by €20 when the iphone 5 came out.

It depends on perspective too, if i woke up tomorrow fresh and wanted an iPhone, i wouldnt have the spare cash to buy sim free, but because of my upgrade system, whereby i just sold my IP4 on adverts, got an S3 for buttons on upgrade and sold that on Adverts, the cash earned paid for a sim free iPhone from Apple, i do it every 2 years without fail and it works. I dont have to hand over any cash as such out of my pocket.

But you still paid circa €700 for your phone whether you earned the money yourself or sold other things to buy it is irrelevant. Spending your money is spending your money.
    Again, its like cars. Some people see tham as a way f getting A-B, others enjoy cars and want that something extra etc

Yes, But lets pretend BMW sold their 3 series for €50K and Audi sold their A4 for €30k. Both cars are middle of the range exec luxury cars that do the same thing and are placed in the same market. Both come with leather, sat nav and cruise control. Fair enough the BMW might come with certain extras that some people like and need, and vice versa with the Audi.

Most people who buy an BMW/iPhone just want a luxury car/smart phone. How long will it take people who have been buying BMW all their life to realise they are getting a bad deal? I realise most of the people on this forum really love the iPhone and its the phone for them. I just dont get why the iPhone is sought by EVERYONE.

I am a firm believer in wealth maximisation. I try get the best bang for my buck. I dont see the justification in spending the extra money on the BMW when the Audi which is the same quality does the same thing for cheaper.

Well yes obviously. But the Galaxy S3 is nowhere near the same price as the iPhone. We all know the iPhone wont come down in price until next year when it will probably drop by less than 10%. The 4s only dropped by €20 when the iphone 5 came out.

But you still paid circa €700 for your phone whether you earned the money yourself or sold other things to buy it is irrelevant. Spending your money is spending your money.

Yes, But lets pretend BMW sold their 3 series for €50K and Audi sold their A4 for €30k. Both cars are middle of the range exec luxury cars that do the same thing and are placed in the same market. Both come with leather, sat nav and cruise control. Fair enough the BMW might come with certain extras that some people like and need, and vice versa with the Audi.

Most people who buy an BMW/iPhone just want a luxury car/smart phone. How long will it take people who have been buying BMW all their life to realise they are getting a bad deal? I realise most of the people on this forum really love the iPhone and its the phone for them. I just dont get why the iPhone is sought by EVERYONE.

I am a firm believer in wealth maximisation. I try get the best bang for my buck. I dont see the justification in spending the extra money on the BMW when the Audi which is the same quality does the same thing for cheaper.

I understand what your trying to say, but lets compare like for like.
    how much was a galaxy s3 brand new sim free when it was first out?
    How much is the iPhone 5 sim free?

We know the IP is €679

The S3 was over €600 just last week on www.pixmania.ie

Not that much of a difference tbh.

• Advertisement

I understand what your trying to say, but lets compare like for like.
    how much was a galaxy s3 brand new sim free when it was first out?
    How much is the iPhone 5 sim free?

We know the IP is €679

The S3 was over €600 just last week on www.pixmania.ie

Not that much of a difference tbh.

€550 on Amazon, it is a considerable difference. Especially to those who want the higher capacity models. 32gb cards are €20 for a class 10 and 64gb cards are €50.

Apple need a serious wake up call in charging so much for higher capacity mOdels. Flash storage has become ridiculously cheap in the last 2yrs and apple has not reflected this with their pricing. Infect they've done the opposite by increasing the price difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Simon201

Just curious , to those here that are buying the phone direct from Apple , what network/contract are you going with or what kind of money would expect to be paying per month if pre-pay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Hurricane Carter

Tim Cook apologises for 'Maps' debacle:

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-19760978#TWEET244158
    Apple apologises for Maps switch 'frustration'

Apple's apology features prominently on its homepage
    Continue reading the main story
    Related Stories

Apple map glitch relocates airport to farm
    Apple says map app will 'improve'
    Apple under fire over new map app
    Apple's chief executive has penned an apology following a barrage of criticism caused by its switch to a new maps system.

Tim Cook acknowledged that users had been frustrated by the move and repeated a pledge to improve the software.

In the meantime he suggested users download an alternative product from one of its rivals.

A link to the letter appears on the firm's home page.

Although the company has issued several apologies over recent months, this one is unusual for its prominence and the fact it was written by Mr Cook himself.

Other examples since July include a letter from the firm's former head of hardware engineering saying that ditching a green ratings scheme had been "a mistake"; a statement acknowledging that changes to its retail stores had been made in error; and emails to iCloud users apologising for an interruption to their email service.

'Frustration'
    "At Apple, we strive to make world-class products that deliver the best experience possible to our customer," Mr Cook wrote in the latest case.

"With the launch of our new Maps last week, we fell short on this commitment. We are extremely sorry for the frustration this has caused our customers and we are doing everything we can to make Maps better."

He noted that more than 100 million mobile device users had upgraded to the new iOS software, replacing a Google-powered maps app with Apple's own software which relies on licensed navigation data.

"While we're improving Maps, you can try alternatives by downloading map apps from the App Store like Bing, MapQuest and Waze, or use Google or Nokia maps by going to their websites and creating an icon on your home screen to their web app," he added.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭McGrath5

[QUOTE=Hogzy;80992806
    Apple need a serious wake up call in charging so much for higher capacity mOdels. Flash storage has become ridiculously cheap in the last 2yrs and apple has not reflected this with their pricing. Infect they've done the opposite by increasing the price difference[/QUOTE]

But the iPhone 5 is sold out everywhere, I ordered one last night of Apple and there is a 3 - 4 week wait for the device to ship. Apple price the device according to what the market is willing to pay, and by the looks of things, the market is more than willing to pay what Apple are charging.

€550 on Amazon, it is a considerable difference.

just because its €550 now on Amazon, your still not comparing like for like. The iPhone was only released today in Ireland.

I still maintain, on release day the S3 was a similar price to the 16gb iPhone is today (assuming both bought sim free of course).

• Advertisement

€550 on Amazon, it is a considerable difference.

just because its €550 now on Amazon, your still not comparing like for like. The iPhone was only released today in Ireland.

I still maintain, on release day the S3 was a similar price to the 16gb iPhone is today (assuming both bought sim free of course).

But apples prices don't come down, in 11 months apple will still be charging 679 for the basic iPhone 5. I don't know why you're saying we're not comparing like for like when we're comparing the flagship models of both brands

How is everybody finding the new ear buds?

Personally, the right one just wont sit in my ear properly :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭McGrath5

How is everybody finding the new ear buds?

Personally, the right one just wont sit in my ear properly :(

I won't know for another 3 weeks :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Simon201 wrote: »
    Just curious , to those here that are buying the phone direct from Apple , what network/contract are you going with or what kind of money would expect to be paying per month if pre-pay?

I'm getting it direct from Apple. I'm probably going to go with either a Meteor or 3 SIM only plan. Both of them do a decent package that will more than cover what I need for about €20 per month. Today, I pay Vodafone €45-50 per month (just recently finished 18 month contract).

I think the long contracts accompanied with relatively high monthly bills are not for me (being a relatively light user, i don't need unlimited blah blah every month).

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭KD11

JoeA3 wrote: »
    I'm getting it direct from Apple. I'm probably going to go with either a Meteor or 3 SIM only plan. Both of them do a decent package that will more than cover what I need for about €20 per month. Today, I pay Vodafone €45-50 per month (just recently finished 18 month contract).

I think the long contracts accompanied with relatively high monthly bills are not for me (being a relatively light user, i don't need unlimited blah blah every month).

This is an option im looking into aswell. However it actually works out more expensive in the long run. Currently im paying around 45 a month aswell. If the phone is around 200 now (16gb) plus (18 x 45) thats 1010 euro for 18 months.
    Buying sim free the phone is 670 plus Min 20euro a month thats 1030 euro for 18 months. I would be paying a bit extra just to be out of a contract. Fair enough if thats what you want but if your not planning on switching to different networks during the 18 months I cant really see the value of buying sim free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

3 pay as you go. 20 per month top up gets me:

Free 3 to 3 texts
    Free 3 to 3 calls
    Free any network weekend calls
    All you can eat data.

I currently have over 50 euro in credit as I never manage to spend the 20 every month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭JoeA3

KD11 wrote: »
    This is an option im looking into aswell. However it actually works out more expensive in the long run. Currently im paying around 45 a month aswell. If the phone is around 200 now (16gb) plus (18 x 45) thats 1010 euro for 18 months.
    Buying sim free the phone is 670 plus Min 20euro a month thats 1030 euro for 18 months. I would be paying a bit extra just to be out of a contract. Fair enough if thats what you want but if your not planning on switching to different networks during the 18 months I cant really see the value of buying sim free.

Yeah there's probably not a lot in it savings wise, but I do like the idea of being out of contract and the freedom to move to other networks on a whim as better offers come along. Also the ability to use a foreign SIM when on holidays is a plus.

KD11 wrote: »
    JoeA3 wrote: »

I've switched to Meteors €20 sim only plan. The iPhone plans they offer are €45 with 2 year contracts. It works out around €10 cheaper from Apple but that's also sim free.

For me I don't know how my financial situation will change over the next two years. So I can't commit to a 2 year contact. I've been saving for the past few months and have a chunk of the money needed for the new iPhone. My old one will be sold to make up for the rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

16gb €399 emobile select 300 12 month contract.
    €49 per month
    300 mins
    300 texts
    free landlines 2gb data
    access to eircom wifi hotspots

I'll sell my 4s for 300-350 unlocked and be out of contract this time next year for the 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭rubicon99

But the iPhone 5 is sold out everywhere, I ordered one last night of Apple and there is a 3 - 4 week wait for the device to ship. Apple price the device according to what the market is willing to pay, and by the looks of things, the market is more than willing to pay what Apple are charging.

I remeber reading few weeks ago that it's only now that 128 Gb nand flash used in mobile phones is in production. So hopefylly 5S will have 128 GB :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭racer1

Just picked up the iphone 5 for the OH from o2 on PAYG upgrade for 650 yoyos. I have to say im a bit disappointed with it. Basically its just a little longer and a bit thinner and it now has a black band instead of silver around it. The build quality is fabulous as always. I found that they maybe should have made the phone slightly wider so it would feel better in the hand. But is it a major upgrade from the iphone 4s i think not.

Anyway onto the next bit. When i went to sync it for the OH it would not as the imac they have is on 10.5.8. So the OH will not be happy when they get home and find they have lost everything.....

rubicon99 wrote: »
    I remeber reading few weeks ago that it's only now that 128 Gb nand flash used in mobile phones is in production. So hopefylly 5S will have 128 GB :)

But at a €1,000 price tag :O. That'll
    Be an expensive phone. Never thought years back you'd ever see a phone that price. Assuming it wasn't made from gold haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

L5 wrote: »

Free 3 to 3 texts
    Free 3 to 3 calls
    All you can eat data.

I'm on a similar plan
    Free any network texts
    Free 3 to 3 calls
    Free any network calls at the weekend
    All you can eat data

It's the all you can eat data that I need and texts really help to for €20 a month

racer1 wrote: »

Anyway onto the next bit. When i went to sync it for the OH it would not as the imac they have is on 10.5.8. So the OH will not be happy when they get home and find they have lost everything.....

icloud backup on the old phone, icloud restore on the new. you lose nothing and the imac doesnt have to get involved.

icloud backup on the old phone, icloud restore on the new. you lose nothing and the imac doesnt have to get involved.[/QUOTE

Just looked at that now. all that backed up was the contacts. They sold the 4s last week so cant do that now.

DubDJ wrote: »
    Be an expensive phone. Never thought years back you'd ever see a phone that price. Assuming it wasn't made from gold haha

I think the price of phones are getting out of control...

DubDJ wrote: »

I think the price of phones are getting out of control...

My Nokia 3210 was £129, came with £20 credit with Eircell. That was quite a high end phone aswell given the times. What we are paying for their phones now is just astronomical.

The prices of computers have actually come down. A top of the range laptop now is a lot cheaper than it was 10 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭dmcg90

fox007 wrote: »
    L5 wrote: »

Free 3 to 3 texts
    Free 3 to 3 calls
    All you can eat data.

I'm on a similar plan
    Free any network texts
    Free 3 to 3 calls
    Free any network calls at the weekend
    All you can eat data

It's the all you can eat data that I need and texts really help to for €20 a month

Yeah, the sticking point is that they wont be delivered/sold till the backlog of bill-pay customers are served, I was quoted a month wait in 3 Galway and CPW today.

icloud backup on the old phone, icloud restore on the new. you lose nothing and the imac doesnt have to get involved.[/QUOTE

Just looked at that now. all that backed up was the contacts. They sold the 4s last week so cant do that now.

well you know for the next time! you can re download previous purchases (free or otherwise) from the itunes and app stores at any time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

48 is the winner here unlimted calls and texts to any network and 3Gb of

data for 20e a month won't be beaten IMO you only get 20mins a month to

landlines.

Advertisement