Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 5 - Discussion [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

racer1 wrote: »
    I think the price of phones are getting out of control...

All depends on how good it is really. Some phones have more power than laptops these days.

Also how often do people use your phone?

Id have no hassle spending 700 quid on a phone thats good enough. Have done already and didnt even think about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Well..been using mine for a day now...

Impressed, am amazed at how light it it, the sound is superb and the Retina Display is stunning.

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Manc-Red

M8 of mine got one today - Jesus Christ that phone is on a different level - Fab.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

racer1 wrote: »
    I think the price of phones are getting out of control...

Hi end Nokia's like the communicator, 8800, etc went for €500 up to €1000 since back in the late ninties, early 2000's
    So there's always been expensive phones on the market, it's just now everyone is buying them

How much was the Matrix phone? Id say that cost a few quid alright in its day.

Edit

Also whats the sound quality like on the iPhone 5 compared to the 4S?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Hi end Nokia's like the communicator, 8800, etc went for €500 up to €1000 since back in the late ninties, early 2000's
    So there's always been expensive phones on the market, it's just now everyone is buying them

+1

this Phone was changing hands for €700 back a few years ago. I remember meeting a guy to buy 2 for a friend in turkey a few years back out by Swords.

Nokia_8800.jpg

Back when the Buy And Sell was a genuine sales booklet :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Ordered last thursday and picked up yesterday. Love it.

What an amazing piece of kit. Unreal fast, the panorama camera is class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Could people please refrain from telling us how amazing the new iPhone 5 is..... some of us have to wait 3-4 weeks :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

9To5Mac are saying Sharp have now caught up on manufacturing the displays for the new iPhone. Which means shipping times could be quicker.

Interestingly, they also said Ireland only got 500 iPhone 5's in all. Very low number for a population of over 4m if it is true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,688 ✭✭✭squonk

DubDJ wrote: »
    9To5Mac are saying Sharp have now caught up on manufacturing the displays for the new iPhone. Which means shipping times could be quicker.

Interestingly, they also said Ireland only got 500 iPhone 5's in all. Very low number for a population of over 4m if it is true.

Maybe the recession is kicking in and we're. Small pool of takers for he phone. I got a 64 Gb model earlier tonight. Not sure that was even possible 2 years ago when the 4 was released.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭ibebanging

Mines in the post ! And decent cases for sale in Dublin yet ??

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭cherylxxx2

ibebanging wrote: »

did u get from apple.ie?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭ibebanging

cherylxxx2 wrote: »

did u get from apple.ie?
    Vodafone, got a call from them earlier today and its to be in my hands Tuesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Picked one up for herself today. Been playing with it since. I have a 4 for over 2 years and find the 5...well a bit ...meh :-(. Extra bit of screen is nice, Siri is a novelty, a bit nippier and camera is improved but other than that, nothin really the 4 with iOS6 can't handle.

I have one on order from apple so I don't know what to do now. Have a few weeks to make up my mind I suppose.
    Disappointed tbh. :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Picked one up for herself today. Been playing with it since. I have a 4 for over 2 years and find the 5...well a bit ...meh :-(. Extra bit of screen is nice, Siri is a novelty, a bit nippier and camera is improved but other than that, nothin really the 4 with iOS6 can't handle.

I have one on order from apple so I don't know what to do now. Have a few weeks to make up my mind I suppose.
    Disappointed tbh. :-(

I upgraded from the 4 and I love it. Way faster, Siri (I'm in Canada) is useful for booking tables and movies playing. Plus I now have turn by turn navigation, a fast camera and LTE data connection (40mb down 24mb up where I live). Totally worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Qwerty Dub

After one day with the phone I am very happy. I dunno how people could justify jumping from a 4S to a 5, but I was on a 4 so i appreciate the upgrade.

Love how thin and light it is. The phone looks cool (in White) and its much much faster than my 4 which lagged a good bit (blank screen for ages etc when opening messages app). Siri is a novelty but its good craic and the camera is excellent. Liking the panorama too. Safari is much faster too.

Overall im very happy. Battery seemed decent yesterday messing around with it. Lost just 4% overnight while i slept for 8hrs. 1% drop every 2hrs aint bad.

So like i say, if you are on anything other than a 4S you will appreciate it big time. Hopefully more Apps are optimized for new screen soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭vwgolfmk504

Got to admit I adore this phone, and fair play to O2,they gave me a upgrade 3 months before my contract was up, I had a blackberry previous to this and it's not even comparable

And decent cases for sale in Dublin yet ??

I bought a decent hard rubber one in the ilac centre. Some of the shops on Moore Street had leather cases too the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Qwerty Dub

kceire wrote: »
    And decent cases for sale in Dublin yet ??

I bought a decent hard rubber one in the ilac centre. Some of the shops on Moore Street had leather cases too the other day.

How much for the rubber cases in the ilac centre?

• Advertisement

Qwerty Dub wrote: »

he wanted €8 each but i got 2 for €10 from him. A blue one for me and purple for the GF. Limited colours available, it was either blue, pink or purple. I took the risky decision that pink would not of one down too well with my persona :D

I sent fox007 on here some images of it, if he has them handy he can post them.
    They are a hard rubber type with a small lip at the front for screen protection.

got them in the little stall in the centre of the ilac floor just at the exit to Moore Street.

Whats the sound quality like on the 5 compared to the 4S? Cant find anything that doesnt ramble on about the ****e earpods.

Anyone plugged a decent set of earphones into it yet?

Edit - No need to answer. Its actually worse than the 4 and 4S. I was wondering why there was no mention of it on the Apple site.

http://www.gsmarena.com/apple_iphone_5-review-822p6.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

kceire wrote: »
    Qwerty Dub wrote: »

he wanted €8 each but i got 2 for €10 from him. A blue one for me and purple for the GF. Limited colours available, it was either blue, pink or purple. I took the risky decision that pink would not of one down too well with my persona :D

I sent fox007 on here some images of it, if he has them handy he can post them.
    They are a hard rubber type with a small lip at the front for screen protection.

got them in the little stall in the centre of the ilac floor just at the exit to Moore Street.

No black rubber ones avaible till next week.They have black in the leather flip open type tho Here are Kceire photos of the case.

61BCC85C-48F2-41AD-82F8-5766BDDA0AF9-16461-0000029A0D7236AC.jpg

A45908AA-E90E-4F12-A40B-49C1AA788ACC-16461-0000029A165118E3.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

fox007 wrote: »
    snip

Great protection, but it turns an iconic design piece into a horrible looking bit of blue plastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Media999 wrote: »
    Whats the sound quality like on the 5 compared to the 4S? Cant find anything that doesnt ramble on about the ****e earpods.

Anyone plugged a decent set of earphones into it yet?

Edit - No need to answer. Its actually worse than the 4 and 4S. I was wondering why there was no mention of it on the Apple site.

http://www.gsmarena.com/apple_iphone_5-review-822p6.php

Sound quality seems good to me. Also the ear phones are great, you actually get decent bass from them which you didn't get with the old ones.

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    Sound quality seems good to me. Also the ear phones are great, you actually get decent bass from them which you didn't get with the old ones.

Apple should be pushing ahead with iconic headphones. The way Beats have. They could easily sell more than beats if they design a proper set that look and sound well.

Instead the hipsters are going around with beats headphones plugged into an iPhone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭vinnycoyne

I'd hazard a guess and say that sound quality isn't a priority to most people when buying a smartphone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭eggy81

What's the sound quality of the loudspeaker like.have a desire hd which I love and am out of contract on now.one thing that always annoyed me was the really **** loudspeaker on it though.seriously considering an I phone next time out.Ive never had any I device before.if I go I phone am I causing issues for meself regarding porting over music contacts etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

vinnycoyne wrote: »
    I'd hazard a guess and say that sound quality isn't a priority to most people when buying a smartphone.

People pay a lot of money for an iPhone and for the iTunes music on board. I think many many people care a lot about sound quality.

• Advertisement

vinnycoyne wrote: »

Seperate obviously. I dont mean ones that come with the iPhone.

Apple could easily shift millions of shiny white 300 dollar headphones.

But from your way of thinking its bad form to sacrifice sound quality for what exactly? Lightning is no better than the old cable except more expensive. Sound is great in the new iPad so no reason why they cant have consistency.

HTC have beats sound and S3 have even better sound quality. Wouldnt have been too hard to beat both. They had enough notice and knew exactly what components where in both of them but decided to release something worse.

Advertisement