Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 5 - Discussion [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

eggy81 wrote: »
    What's the sound quality of the loudspeaker like.have a desire hd which I love and am out of contract on now.one thing that always annoyed me was the really **** loudspeaker on it though.seriously considering an I phone next time out.Ive never had any I device before.if I go I phone am I causing issues for meself regarding porting over music contacts etc.

Loudspeaker for calls or music? Dont think a phone exists that has good music from Loudspeakers. Samsung are releasing one with 2 speakers at top and bottom probably aimed at Teens but i can promise you now itll still be crap quality sound for music from loudspeaker.

if its headphone sound your after the S3 is the best of the current generation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,533 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Inquitus wrote: »
    Great protection, but it turns an iconic design piece into a horrible looking bit of blue plastic.

Really don't see the point of those covers.

Ok, might prevent scratches, don't see what else it does and makes a beautiful look awful.

I think some people are hard-wired into thinking that they have to have them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭eggy81

Media999 wrote: »
    eggy81 wrote: »
    What's the sound quality of the loudspeaker like.have a desire hd which I love and am out of contract on now.one thing that always annoyed me was the really **** loudspeaker on it though.seriously considering an I phone next time out.Ive never had any I device before.if I go I phone am I causing issues for meself regarding porting over music contacts etc.

Loudspeaker for calls or music? Dont think a phone exists that has good music from Loudspeakers. Samsung are releasing one with 2 speakers at top and bottom probably aimed at Teens but i can promise you now itll still be crap quality sound for music from loudspeaker.

if its headphone sound your after the S3 is the best of the current generation.
    The problem with the HTC is that for a loudspeaker its just not very loud.I'm not expecting great quality but I'd like to be able to hear my phone ringing,or a you tube video playing if there was s bit of background noise a out.in fairness its a recognised weakness in HTC phones.my old Nokia one was better.sgs3 too big tbh.desire hd is on the very limit of size for me.why dosent anyone bring out a flagship android phone same size as iPhone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭JoeA3

murpho999 wrote: »
    Really don't see the point of those covers.

Ok, might prevent scratches, don't see what else it does and makes a beautiful look awful.

I think some people are hard-wired into thinking that they have to have them.

+1. I don't understand it. People get excited about the lightness / thin-ness of the new phone (or moan that it's not thin enough)... and then put an ugly lump of plastic or rubber on it! For what? To keep it pristine for the next owner and to get a few dollars more for it on a resale? Honestly, its not that delicate. I've never had a cover on my iPhone 4 and it still looks in very good condition to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Apple should be pushing ahead with iconic headphones. The way Beats have. They could easily sell more than beats if they design a proper set that look and sound well.

Instead the hipsters are going around with beats headphones plugged into an iPhone.

Beats are terrible "high end" headphones. Way too much bass at a loss of clarity to pretty much everything else.

I'm using my Shure IEM's and studio cans with my 5 and to me it sounds pretty much the same as my 4.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

Would I be better off ordering one from Apple or waiting until shops have more? I have to buy on prepay 'cos Im already in a contract with three with my S3.

What will be faster?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Is the finish on the back of the white one the same or different to the iPad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Ward670

I had ordered a 5 on Friday morning but have been second guessing it since. I've decided to cancel my order. Have a 4S and I couldn't justify upgrading but after the €70 price bump, that put the nail in the coffin. Il hold onto my 4S and see what they come up with next year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Had a mess with one today, very nice design, materials and finish.

I actually think its too light, I like a bit of heft, makes me feel that I am less likely to drop a phone, but that may just be me personally. I also don't understand the continual drive for thinness by all manufacturers, we got thin enough imo a while ago, and they would be better off using the internal space savings on a bigger battery. I would prefer a bigger screen, as I don't think 4.5" is too big,but understand others feel it is, maybe its time for Apple to diversify the range a bit? It's certainly the best design and finish on a phone on the market right now

Can't help but feel that iOS is the iPhones biggest drawback, it's being left behind by Android and WP8, it could do with being "remagined" imo, it's a steady iteration of a 5 year old ui.

My ideal phone right now would be a 4.5" iPhone 5 running Jellybean! and yes, pigs might fly....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Wow. The battery.

Made 7 mins of calls. Light Internet usage. No videos or music played. No games played.

Disconnected from charger at 100% this morning. Battery is now at 3%.

What the fcuk???

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Great protection, but it turns an iconic design piece into a horrible looking bit of blue plastic.

Agree. It's on until my clear nude case comes.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Loving it, tbh.

I find you really get reminded you've something new when using an app utilising the bigger screen. My favourite app, IMDB, is even better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Wow. The battery.

Made 7 mins of calls. Light Internet usage. No videos or music played. No games played.

Disconnected from charger at 100% this morning. Battery is now at 3%.

What the fcuk???

Having the same trouble. Up at 10, phone at 100%, mild usage, calls etc, 2 hours of strava, 20 mins of browsing. Battery empty by 5

Beats are terrible "high end" headphones. Way too much bass at a loss of clarity to pretty much everything else.

I'm using my Shure IEM's and studio cans with my 5 and to me it sounds pretty much the same as my 4.

Never said they where the best (there actually about par with $100 headphones) but releasing stuff that isnt the best and making it sound good with marketing is right down Apples street.

Thats why overpriced shiny headphones might be a good avenue to go down. If they even make them reasonably good they can beat Beats and sell a lot to the hipster douchebag types that go everywhere with beats around their necks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Gallant_JJ wrote: »
    Having the same trouble. Up at 10, phone at 100%, mild usage, calls etc, 2 hours of strava, 20 mins of browsing. Battery empty by 5
    2 hours of strava, there you go, GPS is an insane juice sucker.

Never said they where the best (there actually about par with $100 headphones) but releasing stuff that isnt the best and making it sound good with marketing is right down Apples street.

Thats why overpriced shiny headphones might be a good avenue to go down. If they even make them reasonably good they can beat Beats and sell a lot to the hipster douchebag types that go everywhere with beats around their necks.

hipsters don't use beats, d4 and scumbags do.

My ideal phone right now would be a 4.5" iPhone 5 running Jellybean! and yes, pigs might fly....

You can install Windows on a Mac now so who knows?

Might not be as crazy as you think. Where do you expect IOS to be in 5 years? You just said your bored of it already so its only a matter of time before a lot of people are. IOS is boring and restrictive. Youre not the only one who thinks that.

hipsters don't use beats, d4 and scumbags do.

Are D4 not hipsters? Whats the difference?

Skinny jeans on a bloke. That kind of type.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

totally off topic, but yes d4 are not hipsters, they are far from it.

hipsters pride themselves in their music and therefore actually use good headphones on the go and not those beats ****e.

totally off topic, but yes d4 are not hipsters, they are far from it.

hipsters pride themselves in their music and therefore actually use good headphones on the go and not those beats ****e.

I stand corrected.

Anyway.

Id say if Apple released a pair of shiny white $300 overpriced over ear headphones they would sell a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

Gallant_JJ wrote: »
    2 hours of strava, there you go, GPS is an insane juice sucker.

Used the strava the whole time on my 4. For that usage I reckon I would have used a little over 50%

• Advertisement

GPS is a battery killer alright. Garmin kills the 4S in about 2 hours.

Just inspected my black phone. 2 chips from the aluminium on the bottom right above the speaker. Wasn't on it when I got it so must've been caused by me.

Too say the black will chip easy is a massive understatement.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Just inspected my black phone. 2 chips from the aluminium on the bottom right above the speaker. Wasn't on it when I got it so must've been caused by me.

Too say the black will chip easy is a massive understatement.

And all the slagging my little blue case got :D
    I would ring apple, chances are they will replace it.

kceire wrote: »
    And all the slagging my little blue case got :D
    I would ring apple, chances are they will replace it.

I have Applecare+ which means I can pay $50 to have my broken phone replaced any time within 2 years. So I'm not gonna kick up a fuss over this as I'm pretty sure I did it somehow. When it gets pretty scratched I'll get it replaced then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Strange that any other black aluminium phone (I'm looking at you desire s) isn't front page news when its casing gets scratched.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

Plowman wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

A lot more freedom for a start.

Who are Apple to tell me i cant download torrents?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Why would you want to? Perhaps a torrent client to talk to the desktop app, but thats available via a web app.

Torrent downloading is widely regarded means of obtaining illegal copies of digital media. Guess who sells media - Apple.

It also means that you could only really use it on WiFi, where there are less limits on bandwidth. if you were to use it over 3g/LTE that would affect others nearby, and go against your bill. And whats the point if its wifi only? Use the computer that you have already to download. You'd also need to make sure that you'd have software to play the MKV videos or the FLAC audio, which just isnt Apple. Think before you post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Plowman wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, how would critics of iOS like to see it improved? What is missing from it that is available on other platforms? (And please don't say a weather widget! Everyone is not looking for realtime weather updates.)

Fare enough, ios isn't a patch on jelly bean but if you buy an iphone you know what to expect.

• Advertisement

miralize wrote: »
    Why would you want to? Perhaps a torrent client to talk to the desktop app, but thats available via a web app.

Torrent downloading is widely regarded means of obtaining illegal copies of digital media. Guess who sells media - Apple.

It also means that you could only really use it on WiFi, where there are less limits on bandwidth. if you were to use it over 3g/LTE that would affect others nearby, and go against your bill. And whats the point if its wifi only? Use the computer that you have already to download. You'd also need to make sure that you'd have software to play the MKV videos or the FLAC audio, which just isnt Apple. Think before you post.

What are you talking about? So your saying its a good thing Apple doesnt let you make your own decisions? Absolute Nonsense.

How about giving us the choice and you go be a little goody boy with yours and ill obtain whatever i like through my phone?

Also its a good thing Apple doesnt let you play MKV or FLAC files. More horse****.

Also hahahahah at the bold text. Jesus Christ :D

Advertisement