Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 5 - Discussion [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

miralize wrote: »
    You'd also need to make sure that you'd have software to play the MKV videos or the FLAC audio, which just isnt Apple. Think before you post.

To be fair Android has multiple excellent free media players that support pretty much every media format known to man. From MKV to FLAC and beyond.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Plowman wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

The notifications bar has SOOOOOO much potential. Developers should be given access to it. it would be a great place to have switches to allow you turn off GPS, 3G, Bluetooth etc without having to trawl through all the menus. There could also be a quick button to turn a flashlight on and off.

Again, all these are available if you jailbreak but i shouldnt have to jailbreak in order to have this functionality.

Not having FLAC is ridiculous. The iPod would knock EVERY single mp3 player out of the water if it supported FLAC
    You'd also need to make sure that you'd have software to play the MKV videos or the FLAC audio, which just isnt Apple. Think before you post.

**** like that just annoys me. Why is FLAC just not apple? FLAC is the industry standard for high quality audio. Look at the B&W Zepplin and all the other €500+ docks out there. Pointless without high quality audio. Apples high quality audio isnt as widely available as FLAC. Pointless if you have a large CD collection.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Think before you post.

I wish people would do this, but your own post is an example of it not happening...yeay freedom :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

Hogzy wrote: »
    The notifications bar has SOOOOOO much potential. Developers should be given access to it. it would be a great place to have switches to allow you turn off GPS, 3G, Bluetooth etc without having to trawl through all the menus. There could also be a quick button to turn a flashlight on and off.

Again, all these are available if you jailbreak but i shouldnt have to jailbreak in order to have this functionality.

Not having FLAC is ridiculous. The iPod would knock EVERY single mp3 player out of the water if it supported FLAC

**** like that just annoys me. Why is FLAC just not apple? FLAC is the industry standard for high quality audio. Look at the B&W Zepplin and all the other €500+ docks out there. Pointless without high quality audio. Apples high quality audio isnt as widely available as FLAC. Pointless if you have a large CD collection.

Because Apple milks the hell out of these iSheep who actually believe this nonsense about it just "not being Apple".

Whats the best way to milk a sheep?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

The fact of the matter is that bandwidth costs money. There isnt the worldwide infrastructure to allow everyopne in the world to download the copious amounts of data we so desperately need.

And I'm not saying FLAC isnt an ideal file format, it is.. but the files are massive, no way they could be stored on your phone easily without a huge capacity. And they're pushing iTunes in the Cloud, which in fairness makes a bit of sense, even if it is a paltry 256kbps.

• Advertisement

The fact of the matter is that bandwidth costs money. There isnt the worldwide infrastructure to allow everyopne in the world to download the copious amounts of data we so desperately need.

And I'm not saying FLAC isnt an ideal file format, it is.. but the files are massive, no way they could be stored on your phone easily without a huge capacity. And they're pushing iTunes in the Cloud, which in fairness makes a bit of sense, even if it is a paltry 256kbps.

The iPod classic is 160GB, More than enough to store copious amounts of FLAC, as is the 64gb iPod touch. My whole music library isnt full of FLAC. Id say most people who use FLAC wont have the majority of their music in the format. That doesnt matter though. It should be supported.

If itunes match guaranteed at least 320kbps then it would be a fair compromise for not having FLAC, but it doesnt.

btw Netflix and other video streaming services would use a lot more bandwidth than FLAC.

Yes there is the infastructure. What are you talking about?

Youve already said to use a PC instead so whats the differene?

How can you not see that everythig Apple does is just to milk and squeeze more and more money out of people like you? No offence but i just cant understand people with your beliefs.

You say its a good thing that Apple doesnt let people decide? And your a Web designer? Sorry man but you of all people should know how open source benefits technology.

I was a bit surprised myself that it wasnt available as 320kbps. Fairly standard...

Thats true about FLAC, but again, thats probably why those services arent available in developing countries yet.

Media999 wrote: »
    Yes there is the infastructure. What are you talking about?

Youve already said to use a PC instead so whats the differene?

How can you not see that everythig Apple does is just to milk and squeeze more and more money out of people like you? No offence but i just cant understand people with your beliefs.

You say its a good thing that Apple doesnt let people decide? And your a Web designer? Sorry man but you of all people should know how open source benefits technology.

Milk and squeeze? They dont have a gun to my head. They make things easy for me, so I pay for the services that they provide.

And what in gods name does the open vs closed argument have to do with anything that I've said? And yeah I think its fairly smart that Apple restrict certain things on iOS. Its all about delivering a seamless, consistent, and nice user experience.. something as a web designer I kind of have to understand and appreciate

He has 2 posts in the web development forum so id take that with a pinch of salt.

Signatures not enabled no?

No need to get personal really either. Id say just leave it there out of respect.

Simply using it as an example of why he should understand Open Source technology.

• Advertisement

He has 2 posts in the web development forum so id take that with a pinch of salt.

Yep. You're right. I'm a fake/fraud/amateur...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Because Apple milks the hell out of these iSheep who actually believe this nonsense about it just "not being Apple".

Whats the best way to milk a sheep?
    For all your previous protesting about how you're innocently putting an option across, your blanket slurs are just tired. Really, have you nothing better to do?

Signatures not enabled no?

No need to get personal really either. Id say just leave it there out of respect.

Simply using it as an example of why he should understand Open Source technology.

Yep. You're right. I'm a fake/fraud/amateur...

Post deleted, Sorry!

Milk and squeeze? They dont have a gun to my head. They make things easy for me, so I pay for the services that they provide.

And what in gods name does the open vs closed argument have to do with anything that I've said? And yeah I think its fairly smart that Apple restrict certain things on iOS. Its all about delivering a seamless, consistent, and nice user experience.. something as a web designer I kind of have to understand and appreciate

You said its better to be restricted and not give people the choice. Thats where the open source comes into it.

Seriously why would it bother you that much and make your experience worse if you could play Flac and if there was a utorrent app on IOS? How exactly would that be a less nice experience?

You said its better to be restricted and not give people the choice. Thats where the open source comes into it.

Seriously why would it bother you that much and make your experience worse if you could play Flac and if there was a utorrent app on IOS? How exactly would that be a less nice experience?

Its wouldnt bother me, not one bit. And it is about money why the torrents arent allowed. If everyone was downloading movies directly from others on the iPhone, it would take serious chunks out of the iTunes Movies revenue. Not to mention viruses that could be downloaded by accident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭vinnycoyne

READ FIRST - NOTE FROM MODS

I'm tentatively reopening this thread, as I think (hope) people will have calmed down a bit since last night.

I would like to state a few things for those posting here:

Any inflammatory remarks (fanboy, iSheep, fandroid, etc) or trolling will result in a ban from this forum.

By all means, discuss the pros and cons of the various mobile operating systems and associated hardware, but please keep it civil. Any personal attacks, or posts with aggressive language will not be tolerated and will result in a ban also.

If you are offended by a post, or see a post relating to the above, please report the post to the mods so that we can handle the situation. Do not reply to the reported post - let us deal with it.

To summarise: don't be a dick.

So, how about that iPhone 5 ? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Serious qustion, I was going to get the Iphone 5 as i have the 4 32g and when the price came out it made me look further at it, There does nor seem to be too much on it that make it all that much better, Am i missing something or is this basically like the 4s with bigger screen and some tecnical improvements that in reality would be hardly noticeable?

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

cowzerp wrote: »
    Serious qustion, I was going to get the Iphone 5 as i have the 4 32g and when the price came out it made me look further at it, There does nor seem to be too much on it that make it all that much better, Am i missing something or is this basically like the 4s with bigger screen and some tecnical improvements that in reality would be hardly noticeable?

The iPhone 4s to the iPhone 5 is a much smaller step forward than the 4 to the 4s. If youre gonna update i would go to a 4s. ios6 on the 4s and the 5 will have all the same features. The 4s can be bought quite cheap on adverts at the mo aswell.

EDIT: You'll also save yourself from the dreaded dock connector. In 12 months time there will be a few third party connectors that will be on the market cheaper than apple. I know there is an authentication chip in the connector but im 100% sure that apple will license it for third party production. The tech specs will leak and in a few months time they will be available on dealextreme for a dollar.

Spot on id say. Just hold it a 1/3 of an inch further up your hand and download ios 6 and your sorted. Save yourself a fortune. :D (sorry mods had to be done)

Nah but seriously

Theres not much of a difference at all. have a look here on Apples site and see the differences listed side by side. Its there in black and white.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/compare-iphones/

Get yourself a Jellybean Android phone and thatll be a big difference.

EDIT: You'll also save yourself from the dreaded dock connector. In 12 months time there will be a few third party connectors that will be on the market cheaper than apple. I know there is an authentication chip in the connector but im 100% sure that apple will license it for third party production. The tech specs will leak and in a few months time they will be available on dealextreme for a dollar.

I wouldnt be so sure of that. Why even bother putting it in if they are going to make it pointless in a few months?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

The iPhone 4s to the iPhone 5 is a much smaller step forward than the 4 to the 4s. If youre gonna update i would go to a 4s. ios6 on the 4s and the 5 will have all the same features. The 4s can be bought quite cheap on adverts at the mo aswell.

I don't agree with that, I think the opposite actually :D I'd say go for the 5. The 4-4S hardware wise is basically a better camera, new A5 chip and tweaked antenna design. But from the 4S-5 there's a bigger screen, new thinner design, completely redesigned internals (A6 chip, 1gb ram, new 3rd mic added, new loudspeaker, LTE, better battery, tiny camera improvement), also has all the iOS 6 advantages that the 4S has. I know things such as LTE are useless in Ireland, but abroad you might get some use. The new lightening connector could be seen as a positive or negative, and the new earpods are a nice little extra.

I'm in the same situation have a 32GB iPhone 4. And I'm mainly upgrading for extra storage. But the 4 has started to get a little laggy lately. So it'll be nice to get the extra features and speed bumps.

Also the 4S new is only €100 cheaper than the 5.

DubDJ wrote: »
    I don't agree with that, I think the opposite actually :D I'd say go for the 5. The 4-4S hardware wise is basically a better camera, new A5 chip and tweaked antenna design. But from the 4S-5 there's a bigger screen, new thinner design, completely redesigned internals (A6 chip, 1gb ram, new 3rd mic added, new loudspeaker, LTE, better battery, tiny camera improvement), also has all the iOS 6 advantages that the 4S has. I know things such as LTE are useless in Ireland, but abroad you might get some use. The new lightening connector could be seen as a positive or negative, and the new earpods are a nice little extra.

I'm in the same situation have a 32GB iPhone 4. And I'm mainly upgrading for extra storage. But the 4 has started to get a little laggy lately. So it'll be nice to get the extra features and speed bumps.

Just curious how you think it could be a positive?

Also he said to get the 4S second hand on Adverts.ie. Pointless buying it brand new now when the 5 is out. Tons for sale second hand with people upgrading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Just curious how you think it could be a positive?

Also he said to get the 4S second hand on Adverts.ie. Pointless buying it brand new now when the 5 is out. Tons for sale second hand with people upgrading.

Well for me in my situation. I don't have any accessories for the iPhone 30 pin dock connector. I have the sync cables. And I bought an extra long one but I use that just for charging the iPad 99% of the time. This time around I decided to use purely the official cables too as the cheap knock offs charge the phone slower etc. So when they announced the new one it didn't phase me.

So for me I'm not loosing out in any way. I'll use the cable I get with the phone. It's smaller and reversible which are too small positives over the old one. But nothing bad in it for me really. I know others have accessories and might see it as a negative but I think we can't let things like that hold back progression. It was going to happen sooner or later. I'd prefer sooner. :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Anyone torn between the iP4/4S and the 5 really needs to physically use them both before deciding. You just can't gauge the difference from pictures and specs.

Try and get a hold of the new one and then see if you think there's nothing worth paying the extra quids for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Dades wrote: »
    Anyone torn between the iP4/4S and the 5 really needs to physically use them both before deciding. You just can't gauge the difference from pictures and specs.

Try and get a hold of the new one and then see if you think there's nothing worth paying the extra quids for.

Played with one yesterday. Felt great, really solid much preferred it to the 4 I had. I never cared for that glass sandwich design. It was a white model and there were small scuffs marks on the bezel, but you'd want to be really looking for them; Which is a shame as I actually prefer the black this time around. iOS 6 won't convince me to change back what really sticks in my craw is the new cables. I'd always have at least four cables - work, car, home and I'd leave one in my parents - and the thought of spending another 90 euro is to my mind extortionate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,942 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

I don't agree with that, I think the opposite actually :D I'd say go for the 5

No I don't think ya get me-My missus had the 4s and i would not pay to upgrade to it and it looks like the 5 just isn't much better, to pay 6-700 euro it would need to be much much better and visibly better, not just higher specs that in reality won't mean to much in use.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

potato-jesus-apple-maps-ios6.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Well for me in my situation. I don't have any accessories for the iPhone 30 pin dock connector. I have the sync cables. And I bought an extra long one but I use that just for charging the iPad 99% of the time. This time around I decided to use purely the official cables too as the cheap knock offs charge the phone slower etc. So when they announced the new one it didn't phase me.

So for me I'm not loosing out in any way. I'll use the cable I get with the phone. It's smaller and reversible which are too small positives over the old one. But nothing bad in it for me really. I know others have accessories and might see it as a negative but I think we can't let things like that hold back progression. It was going to happen sooner or later. I'd prefer sooner. :D

I'm in the same situation. I have no 30 pin add ons like docks, speakers etc
    The amp connected to my technics 1210's is phono in so I use that there. Haven't got an iPod/iPhone connection in the car although I would t mind one.

The new cable only kicks me as I always had a spare cable in work but now I just fully charge by 10pm going to bed and that gets me through the night and through work leaving me with about 25% by 8pm the following night. That's with wifi on, blietooth on, push in and notifications on so I'm happy out.

Again it's a perspective thing, just coz it suits me doesn't mean it will suit bobby next door but there's nothing we can do about that.

I'm also holding out for a cheap cable on deal extreme/adverts/eBay to have spare for work though just incase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭BanjoB

kceire wrote: »
    I'm in the same situation. I have no 30 pin add ons like docks, speakers etc

I'm also holding out for a cheap cable on deal extreme/adverts/eBay to have spare for work though just incase.

Deal extreme are selling lightning connecter to USB cables right now at $15.

Advertisement