Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 5 - Discussion [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST]

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

BanjoB wrote: »
    Deal extreme are selling lightning connecter to USB cables right now at $15.

Also some pre-order for them here on Adverts :

http://www.adverts.ie/accessories/iphone-5-usb-cable-adapter-white-0-2m-lightning-to-30-pin-adapter-cable/2138372

Heres the DX ones for anybody interested : http://dx.com/p/usb-male-to-8-pin-lighting-male-charging-cable-for-iphone-5-white-100cm-157994

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

1ZRed wrote: »
    potato-jesus-apple-maps-ios6.jpg

$100 billion says Apple will have the last laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

cowzerp wrote: »

No I don't think ya get me-My missus had the 4s and i would not pay to upgrade to it and it looks like the 5 just isn't much better, to pay 6-700 euro it would need to be much much better and visibly better, not just higher specs that in reality won't mean to much in use.

I agree there. The 4S did not tempt me to upgrade in the slightest. But for me the 5 is a big enough change for me to upgrade. Mainly want the 64GB storage. It's up to you if you think spending a few hundred quid is worth it. For me it is. For you it might not.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

BanjoB wrote: »
    Deal extreme are selling lightning connecter to USB cables right now at $15.
    kceire wrote: »
    Has anyone actually used one of these connectors? Would be concerned the phone might reject unauthorised ones.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Referring to the dx.com link, I notice that it specifically mentions 'charging cable' only.

I suspect that means it doesn't contain the microcontroller necessary for it to support any of the other functions that a normal lightning cable would.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭WillyWonka

Loving the new tone of this thread since it was closed and reopened :)
    Better than the snes v megadrive type discussions beforehand.

Decided I'm just going to buy the 5 rather than drive myself and everyone else mad reading and talking about it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,942 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

mad muffin wrote: »
    $100 billion says Apple will have the last laugh.

Whys that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Media999 wrote: »
    Whys that?

Like I said $100 Billion. ;)

Its nice to hear facts in a discussion. Ive no clue what youre talking about.

God knows why Apple released a half assed app then told everyone to use their competitors as their own app isnt good enough.

Google are literally years ahead in research and development.

This is one battle that they simply cannot win.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Its nice to hear facts in a discussion. Ive no clue what youre talking about.

God knows why Apple released a half assed app then told everyone to use their competitors as their own app isnt good enough.

They made a mistake there. It made more headlines than the Samsung can be rooted and controlled by a HTML script which might be more dangerous. Time to repost the iPhone trouncing all other phones benchmarks, as the script-kiddies are taking over the threads.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=iphone+5+benchmarks&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari

Here we go. the S word was mentioned. Back to this crap

Also funny that you say trouncing when the first result says the S3 is faster. :D:D

edit - in fact they all do.

S3 gets nearly 2000 in geekbench.

So what exactly is your definition of trouncing? 25% less?

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

Google maps around since 2005, a bit of a challenge for Apple even with their 100 Billion cash pile to expect to be able to replace it with a similar application in a matter of months.

Just shows Apple's arrogance at the moment and their lack of respect for other players in tech industry.

Yes they manufacture some superb hardware devices, however these devices are useless without access to the phone and internet networks provided by a whole host of other companies.

A little more bridge building, a little less litigation or else they will be isolated on the next hardware refresh. Also sharing out the cash pile would help as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

So I got my iPhone 5 on Friday and after the initial SIM card mess up by Three, I have been up and running since yesterday evening.

I'm have come from an iPhone 4 and overall I'm very pleased. It's far nippier and more responsive.

The downers though obviously Maps which are inexcusably bad.
    Also I expected battery life to be better. Seems on par with my iPhone 4.

I've used a Samsung Galaxy S2 and S3 too so I have a fair base for comparison. The S2 I had to return because it was terrible in terms of speed. (Exchange email would hang every time.) The S3 is excellent but my personal preference is iOS. Up to now I would have ranked the S3 as superior to iPhone.

The issue with the lack of dock connectors doesn't bother me as I use my iPod for music. (I'm sooo old school!)

I'm annoyed about the lack of third party connectors/chargers too as I like to leave a cable in the car and office

Also I'm paranoid about scratches but I've ordered a transparent silicon case. Say what you want about people with cases but its cheaper than insurance or a replacement handset. (Theft aside!)

Overall if you've an iPhone 4 and considering upgrade just do it. Can't comment too much on iPhone 4S as I haven't used one since launch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

I see the thread has descended back into the usual tripe... that didnt last long at all

That's what people said when Apple decided to enter the phone market. With so many big players dominating it with years of experience.

Didn't fair too bad for Apple that time ;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

mad muffin wrote: »
    Like I said $100 Billion. ;)

Like that, when I read about apple's win I was pretty shocked, kinda thought bad call, US judge...still do, of course I soon realised that samsung provide a lot of components to apple/other companies and since samsung will have to recoup that $100 Billion from somewhere.....it became obvious that the only ones who will suffer are the end consumers as the price of components rise and the price of goods rise.

DubDJ wrote: »
    That's what people said when Apple decided to enter the phone market. With so many big players dominating it with years of experience.

Thats a good point but Apple didnt release a half assed phone. They made sure it was better than the rest before releasing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

Thats a good point but Apple didnt release a half assed phone. They made sure it was better than the rest before releasing it.

Correct and right. The original iPhone was ground breaking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,942 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

The thing about Apple maps is they are licensed from TomTom. I use the TomTom navigation app on my iPhone and it is absolutly FLAWLESS. Its the best Navigation i have ever used (iv owned 2 different dedicated sat nav also).

So apple have literally gone and F**ked up a perfectly capable mapping source. I dont know how they got it so wrong. They have nobody to blame but themselves.

In fairness to Samsung, they patched that vulnerability in less than 48hrs.

Well put an end to the Samsung vs iPhone 5 here and now unless its with logical facts and not quoting a bloody conversation about maps with a benchmark that says S3 is faster than the 5. Its not all about speed.

galaxy-s3-vs-iphone.jpg

Line is drawn

Now

Does anyone have any idea what Apple will do with the maps now? They could possibly just use the TomTom app 100% as its actually good. Problem with that though is advertising.

Id say TomTom will want a bigger slice of the pie if they use more of their Technology.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Now

Does anyone have any idea what Apple will do with the maps now? They could possibly just use the TomTom app 100% as its actually good. Problem with that though is advertising.

Id say TomTom will want a bigger slice of the pie if they use more of their Technology.

Thats what i thought they would be doing from the beginning. But TomTom sell their app for around €90 for their European App. So unless Apple pay them serious bucks, i wouldnt see the TomTom Sat Nav becoming the standard Apple Maps software.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

Well put an end to the Samsung vs iPhone 5 here and now unless its with logical facts and not quoting a bloody conversation about maps with a benchmark that says S3 is faster than the 5. Its not all about speed.

galaxy-s3-vs-iphone.jpg

Line is drawn

Would you please get out of this thread and stop derailing it AGAIN.
    Did you even read the mod note on post #1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

L5 wrote: »
    Whats your point? the note says no name calling etc and to discuss the pro's and con's of each

Hogzy wrote: »
    Thats what i thought they would be doing from the beginning. But TomTom sell their app for around €90 for their European App. So unless Apple pay them serious bucks, i wouldnt see the TomTom Sat Nav becoming the standard Apple Maps software.

Yep. Its also regularly the highest grossing app so probably not gonna happen.
    L5 wrote: »

You quote a post of me telling people to stop turning it into a Samsung vs Apple debate unless its a logical argument and tell me to stop derailing . :confused::confused: I even drew a line for people. :confused: What else do you want me to say?

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭steven087

oh still cant decide which one to get .. think i leaning towards the s3 :confused:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

steven087 wrote: »
    oh still cant decide which one to get .. think i leaning towards the s3 :confused:

best of luck.

steven087 wrote: »

Do you already have an iPhone?

• Advertisement

DubDJ wrote: »

Yeah but it was missing a lot of features previous phones had such as custom ringtones. Apple have steadily added these things over time.

I'd say its only a matter of time before Apple start improving. Unless they decide to kill it off. Incidentally Ping will have its last day today. It's going the same place MobileMe went.

Advertisement