Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 5 - Discussion [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST]

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

DubDJ wrote: »
    Yeah but it was missing a lot of features previous phones had such as custom ringtones. Apple have steadily added these things over time.

Not to mention MMS, which at the time was huge!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

Yeah but it was missing a lot of features previous phones had such as custom ringtones. Apple have steadily added these things over time.

I'd say its only a matter of time before Apple start improving. Unless they decide to kill it off. Incidentally Ping will have its last day today. It's going the same place MobileMe went.

Completely forgot about those custom ringtones.

Found a CD single there in my attic a few months back. When i opened it it had a voucher for a free polyphonic ringtone :D Had to laugh.

Cant see them killing it off. Itll be a stain on their reputation. I think some kind of a partnership. Probably not just using tomtom 100% but some kind of use with their data. But the problem is now that google are aware and will probably pump twice as much money into developing Google maps.

Google have Maps like they have their search. Pretty much unstoppable. The game needs to be changed rather than try beat them at their own game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Media999 wrote: »
    Google have Maps like they have their search. Pretty much unstoppable. The game needs to be changed rather than try beat them at their own game.

Exactly. Some online serivces just cannot be replicated easily. It has a bit of a stink of Google+ VS Facebook about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭boreder

Incidentally Ping will have its last day today. It's going the same place MobileMe went.

Really? It's slightly modified and rebranded replacement is being used by hundreds of millions of people already? I've missed that one.

iCloud replaced MobileMe.

Hogzy wrote: »
    Exactly. Some online serivces just cannot be replicated easily. It has a bit of a stink of Google+ VS Facebook about it.

Yep

Facebook, Google and the iPad are one of the same.

To beat them people will have to change the game.

• Advertisement

Yep

Facebook, Google and the iPad are one of the same.

To beat them people will have to change the game.

lol, google will be particularly hard to beat, especially considering the verb 'To Google' has been added to the Oxford English Language Dictionary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

lol, google will be particularly hard to beat, especially considering the verb 'To Google' has been added to the Oxford English Language Dictionary.

That's one thing I can't ever see being beaten. Although there's still room for growth by Google. Baidu is the bigger search engine for a lot of Asia.

I'm still shocked at how well the iPad is holding up against competition. Over two years now and it's actually gaining market share with so many competitors.

Wonder what total sales will be of the iPhone 5 in a few months. I can't see it outselling all other iPhones combined like the 4S did but it'll definately beat the 4S sales numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

That won't be such a big deal if they don't keep innovating in the area of search. Hoover are no longer the dominant vacuum cleaner brand, despite having been verbalised due to their one time dominance. Google are getting involved in a lot of different industries, they may end up spreading themselves too thin and give someone else an opening.

As for the maps, I'm sure they'll improve. Apple could simply make it a lot easier for their users to upload corrections and new information and that alone would give them a huge boost. For now, I'd say their best course of action would be to buy a load of information off Tom Tom (the POIs) to get up to standard in one quick move, and then push for iOS 6 users to keep things up to date and complete (either that, or just buy Tom Tom!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Johnmb wrote: »
    As for the maps, I'm sure they'll improve. Apple could simply make it a lot easier for their users to upload corrections and new information and that alone would give them a huge boost.

Actualy there's already a feature that allows you to report problems in their Maps app. If you click the bottom right corner where you can switch from Satelite to Hybrid etc. your able to click 'Report A Problem'. I've already done it for one or two places.

Johnmb wrote: »
    For now, I'd say their best course of action would be to buy a load of information off Tom Tom (the POIs) to get up to standard in one quick move, and then push for iOS 6 users to keep things up to date and complete (either that, or just buy Tom Tom!).

Firstly TomTom must be willing to sell, and i seriously doubt they will. They would essentially be saying goodbye to a huge amount of their revenue stream. I seriously doubt Apple would be willing to pay such huge money aswell.

I wouldnt hold my breath tbh.

• Advertisement

COME ON EUROPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

edit: wrong thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Picked one up for herself today. Been playing with it since. I have a 4 for over 2 years and find the 5...well a bit ...meh :-(. Extra bit of screen is nice, Siri is a novelty, a bit nippier and camera is improved but other than that, nothin really the 4 with iOS6 can't handle.

I have one on order from apple so I don't know what to do now. Have a few weeks to make up my mind I suppose.
    Disappointed tbh. :-(
    Following on from this, I've cancelled my apple order tonight. I've been using and playing with the 5 for 2 days and while it's a lovely device and a definate improvement, IMHO it's not enough of a change to shell out €680. My 4 will do the job for another while. Pity.
    I'm out of contract so might pick one up on a handy upgrade or port.

680 is a lot of money alright.

iPad mini will be out soon if that floats your boat.

edit

Just realised the iPad mini will have that stupid connector on it. Better to get a regular iPad id say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

680 is a lot of money alright.

iPad mini will be out soon if that floats your boat.

edit

Just realised the iPad mini will have that stupid connector on it. Better to get a regular iPad id say.

Already have an iPad, iPhone, iMac & ATV3 so I'd say I'm pretty well covered.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Switched over the S3 last week and kinda regretting it.
    I fondled the iphone 5 while over in London and loved the size and weight of it in my hand...miles better than the S3.
    IOS is also far more polished than Jelly Bean and a lot slicker.
    And don't get me started on battery life..I'd really like to know what fandroids class as heavy use as I'm barely getting a day out of mine with intermittent use and nothing compared to the iphone 4 previously where i had wifi/gps/bluetooth running constantly.
    On the S3 I had to constantly be toggling them off.
    However the camera on the S3 blows the iphone one away especially at night time. Was at a stag in Liverpool and my phone ended up being the most used for pics as the iphones simply weren't good enough.
    Does IP5 have xenon flash? I'm due an upgrade end of the month on 3 and debating it.

Blazer wrote: »
    Switched over the S3 last week and kinda regretting it.
    I fondled the iphone 5 while over in London and loved the size and weight of it in my hand...miles better than the S3.
    IOS is also far more polished than Jelly Bean and a lot slicker.
    And don't get me started on battery life..I'd really like to know what fandroids class as heavy use as I'm barely getting a day out of mine with intermittent use and nothing compared to the iphone 4 previously where i had wifi/gps/bluetooth running constantly

You sure it was Jellybean? It hasnt actaully been released for the S3. Only way is getting it from a developers forum and flashing it yourself.

Id believe it wasnt especially if youre complaining of battery. Jellybean nearly doubles battery life for me.

Get up at 730 and take off charge. In college i look at notes for probably 3 hours. Listen to music in college / gym for maybe 1-2 hours. browse internet maybe 1-1.5 hours.

Before jellybean at 11pm id have about 15% battery. After Jellybean i have about 50.

If you think the pictures are good on S3 you should check out the new Lumia. Thats actually incredible for camera.

edit

look for yourself

lead-comp.jpg

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Already have an iPad, iPhone, iMac & ATV3 so I'd say I'm pretty well covered.:D

Why not try something new. Could never understand why people constantly buy the same brand.

Lumia 920 would be a good buy id say. Its definitely different anyway. Definitely my next phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Well put an end to the Samsung vs iPhone 5 here and now unless its with logical facts and not quoting a bloody conversation about maps with a benchmark that says S3 is faster than the 5. Its not all about speed.

galaxy-s3-vs-iphone.jpg

Line is drawn

That contradicts every other benchmark tests I have seen on the internet - any chance of a link? by they way posting the *one* link which puts the iPhone 5 behind the s3 does not end any conversation. Wheres the link?

Lumia 920 would be a good buy id say. Its definitely different anyway. Definitely my next phone.

The phone might be good, but the OS lacks a serious amount of Apps, Windows Phone is nothing compared to the goliath of Apps that Android and Apple have amassed in their App Stores.

The phone might be good, but the OS lacks a serious amount of Apps, Windows Phone is nothing compared to the goliath of Apps that Android and Apple have amassed in their App Stores.

This is the old argument against the Mac. Lets see how it pans out. I think MS have enough loyalty to get them over the apps hump.

• Advertisement

That contradicts every other benchmark tests I have seen on the internet - any chance of a link? by they way posting the *one* link which puts the iPhone 5 behind the s3 does not end any conversation. Wheres the link?

Thats the average of Geekbench. Thats what you decided to use as a benchmark not me. You posted a single test of a leaked iphone 5 result vs a non quad core S3. That image is from Geekbench of the average of all tests run across all phones not just a single test.

Just give it over. Its pointless.

average iphone 5 = 1574 average S3 = 1747

2000 iphone 5 results vs 2000 S3 results

Got to geekbench yourself and look at it yourself im just gonna end it now. Dont bother quoting me again.

heres a link to Geekbench most popular results. Pretty much always has the top phones there

http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/popular

Itll have just about any app that is common on IOS and Android. For me Apple and Android have 699k apps that id never even use. Thats no difference to me at all.

Got to geekbench yourself and look at it yourself im just gonna end it now.

Thanks for the link. I didn't link to GeekBench but to RedmondPie, and also to a google search. RedmondPie used any number of benchmark programs but not GeekBench.

Here it is again:

http://www.redmondpie.com/iphone-5-performance-benchmarks-detailed-its-the-fastest-smartphone-available-today/

Dont bother quoting me again.

reported.

Itll have just about any app that is common on IOS and Android. For me Apple and Android have 699k apps that id never even use. Thats no difference to me at all.

Thats for you, there is always going to be someone who wants some app which is on those platforms, but not on Windows phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

it'll have just about any app that is common on IOS and Android. For me Apple and Android have 699k apps that id never even use. Thats no difference to me at all.

I have a windows phone for the last year and have to say the core OS functions are perfect. I.e texting, calls, calendar, music and browsing. But the lack of apps is very frustrating, apps such as rte player, sky go, tv3 player, paddy power, instagram don't even exist. And then even the apps like say the twitter client are poor to be honest.

Hopefully windows phone 8 is a great success and gets the app support it deserves. The lumia looks great but I think I'll be waiting till I see it in someones hand running some, what to me are vital, apps smoothly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭vinnycoyne

Media999, lose the attitude. If people want to question the content of your posts, they're more than entitled to.

vinnycoyne wrote: »
    Media999, lose the attitude. If people want to question the content of your posts, they're more than entitled to.

Okay no problem a Samsung vs Apple thread it is so.

Thanks for the link. I didn't link to GeekBench but to RedmondPie, and also to a google search. RedmondPie used any number of benchmark programs but not GeekBench.

Here it is again:

http://www.redmondpie.com/iphone-5-performance-benchmarks-detailed-its-the-fastest-smartphone-available-today/

reported.

Thats for you, there is always going to be someone who wants some app which is on those platforms, but not on Windows phone.

Redmondpie thats covered in ads yeah.

Any ideas why they would be posting something like that?

2000 iphone 5 results vs 2000 S3 results

Why even judge a phone on how fast it is? Why quote me when im talking about something else with a benchmark about the iPhone 5? Why?

Im talking about Maps and you quote me with a speed benchmark. Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

Okay no problem a Samsung vs Apple thread it is so.

Christ, you're unreal

Christ, you're unreal

How am i unreal for telling someone to stop quoting me with iPhone 5 benchmarks when im talking about something different?

How am i unreal for telling someone to stop quoting me with iPhone 5 benchmarks when im talking about something different?

we're in an iPhone 5 thread. You don't own this thread, or dictate the contents.

• Advertisement

we're in an iPhone 5 thread. You don't own this thread, or dictate the contents.

Exactly. So why keep mentioning Samsung?

We where talking about maps and you quoted me with a Speed benchmark?

Advertisement