Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

suitable dog breeds for guarding

Options
  • 23-04-2012 11:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

I'm looking for advice about suitable dog breeds. I'd like one which will act as a good guard dog - alerting me when someone comes onto the grounds. One that I can have off a lead if possible - one that won't want to roam, one that will be content with the job of guarding and protecting his home and the people inside it. But as there would be kiddies visiting at times I don't want a dog that is known to be aggressive.

Basically I'm getting one too many intruders coming onto the grounds looking to sell me carpets, frying pans or asking whether my car is for sale ... which it obviously is not as I don't have a for sale sign on it so I'm genuinely questioning the integrity of these intruders ...
    I already have a dog but her guard dog days are over. At this stage if she has her eyes shut and you walked right up to her and shouted she wouldn't stir. (However if a cat walks past - she'll go ape.) Not very effective at alarming me when someone arrives let alone deterring intruders.

So to recap - I'm exploring dog breeds that are good guard dogs, and like to stay by its master and not roam. But not vicious.

Any advice welcome!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

A Jack Russel sounds perfect!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Sounds like a border collie would suit perfect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 bennybenben

Jack Russell is funny, personllay I wouldnt go into a house that's got one - but I'd say these guys would just bop the terrier on the head with the frying pan :p

Border collie sounds good - didn't really think of that breed, suppose I pigeon holed it into farming breed. But then again I've seen some of them outside farms and yeah they guard and stay around the place but some tend to chase the cars that go by - chase right up against the car, barking and snarling at the tyres - is that typical of this breed or is it only the ones that are a little bit touched?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,927 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Boxer?? Loyal as anything, will stay with you and have a fierce bark.

They're amazing with kids too

benny most dogs, if you live out on your own and have the fog there all day will become great guard dogs, it is just the way they are! Some breeders breed specifically for guard dogs, some security firms could put you in contact with a breeder they may know..

But with kids in the frame I would never ever bring any guard dog into the frame, I just wouldnt do it.

Fist and foremost your looking for another pet, this pet will become a good guard dog automatically with the right care and attention, and praise when he barks at the right times :D if that is what you want him to do

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Jack Russell is funny, personllay I wouldnt go into a house that's gotj one - but I'd say these guys would just bop the terrier on the head with the frying pan :p

Border collie sounds good - didn't really think of that breed, suppose I pigeon holed it into farming breed. But then again I've seen some of them outside farms and yeah they guard and stay around the place but some tend to chase the cars that go by - chase right up against the car, barking and snarling at the tyres - is that typical of this breed or is it only the ones that are a little bit touched?
    it really depends how you train them,if you have them outside with you from an early age and be tough on them about running off or chasing there shouldn't be a problem,they're very obdient and catch on quick its usually just nutter collies you see chasing cars who's owner never trained them and let them roam.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

It sounds like you want a watch dog more so than a guard dog.

The former alerts when any intruder comes by but would be happy enough to relax once they realised the intruder was accepted. The latter I would class as a more independant thinking animal that would attack if it felt the need to. Not always attack as in maul the person, but be on "high guard" to any body around the area that shouldn't be there. So wouldn't exactly be great around kids per se.

Most breeds are natural watch dogs. It's their space, their territory, they know who comes and goes to the property and who shouldn't.

As for collies chasing cars. Usually a case of the dog not being mentally or physically challenged enough. Highly intelligent animal that does get bored easily, so chasing a car is fun and passes the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭bargainbucket

i second the boxer i have one myself look the part barks at anything/one that passes the gate loyal dog great with the kids :D

Great little dogs!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Dodd

Many years ago where I lived people used to have a Jack Russell and one or two bigger dogs.
    The idea was the Jack Russell would sound the alarm and the bigger dogs/dog would keep anyone out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Twinkleboots

Jack Russell definitely, our one was the best guard dog ever.He didn't like strangers but was fiercely loyal and so intelligent! Once he actually caught people trying to break into our neighbours house! I miss him sooo much:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

I'd be more worried the 'intruders' would steal the dog actually. Maybe a house alarm would be better?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Tom Cruise

I have a dog thats half jack russell and half staffy and he is the most violent dog i have ever seen.Yet if i bring kids around him he is a lamb.He will attack any man,cat,dog,crow,rat who comes near the back garden.Anything with a Jack Russell will do well at guarding but its good to also have a bigger dog with it for a more visual threat.I also have a Rottweiler who would not hurt a fly normally but would back up the terrier if he was attacked.A male and a female will bond and protect each other.So i say get 2 dogs.A jack russel for the noise and a rottie for the size.Also a big sign at the gate saying no tresspassers welcome.Put up a threatening photo of a rottweiler also.And if you have a gun keep it handy.And get a alarm.

All the best

PS i also have a boxer and she is no guard dog she would bark then run into her kennal.HA ha

• Registered Users Posts: 15,876 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

One that I can have off a lead if possible - one that won't want to roam, one that will be content with the job of guarding and protecting his home and the people inside it. But as there would be kiddies visiting at times I don't want a dog that is known to be aggressive.

So to recap - I'm exploring dog breeds that are good guard dogs, and like to stay by its master and not roam. But not vicious.

Any advice welcome!

Any dog can roam that's why they rely on us to keep them safely enclosed. So you want a dog that is trained/encouraged to be wary of strangers but will understand that a visiting kid is not a burglar.

There is no such thing as a dog that is good at this & that. All breeds will react to how you train & relate to them. So if you encourage them to guard don't blame them if they make a mistake. You are expected a dog to understand what level of response is appropriate for each visitor.

By the way there is no such thing as a vicious breed & no dog starts out in life with any vicious tendencies at all. I just hope that your dog doesn't end up involved in another "unprovoked" attack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

belgian malinois make one of the best guard dogs

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/belgianmalinois.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭gud4u

Dodd wrote: »
    Many years ago where I lived people used to have a Jack Russell and one or two bigger dogs.
    The idea was the Jack Russell would sound the alarm and the bigger dogs/dog would keep anyone out.

My JRT sounds the alarm.....the GSD protects her....the rottie protects him...and I can sleep soundly!
    Jack Russell definitely, our one was the best guard dog ever.He didn't like strangers but was fiercely loyal and so intelligent! Once he actually caught people trying to break into our neighbours house! I miss him sooo much:(

My JRT is the only one to attack uninvited guests despite my others being breeds you would consider traditional guard dogs.
    planetX wrote: »
    I'd be more worried the 'intruders' would steal the dog actually. Maybe a house alarm would be better?

You can train your dogs not to accept treats from strangers, while a JRT runs the risk of being picked up or beaten, the type of intruder you describe does not like dogs of any kind.

Ever since we got our dogs, we have had no bother with diesel going missing and unwanted guests calling late in the evening when I am alone has stopped.
    Nothing like opening the door with a rottie sitting at your side, staring at them to send a message.

Rotties are actually better with kids than JRTs, from what I've read...I know you don't want that breed though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Bullmastiff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

planetX wrote: »

When I hear a house alarm going off I think "Another twit that didnt set his alarm right" and walk on. They are the scourge of people living in urban Dublin and pointless to boot. While the OP has mnade it clear he's not looking for something that is going to bite - a smart move btw - a dog does have the element of "maybe I'll go somewhere else". Although to be fair hardened thieves may just ignore it / steal it!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,876 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

When I hear a house alarm going off I think "Another twit that didnt set his alarm right" and walk on. They are the scourge of people living in urban Dublin and pointless to boot. While the OP has mnade it clear he's not looking for something that is going to bite - a smart move btw - a dog does have the element of "maybe I'll go somewhere else". Although to be fair hardened thieves may just ignore it / steal it!

You know that if a dog bites someone, even on your own property, it can end up being seized & destroyed. No dog should be a guard dog - it's really a form of cruelty because the dog has to make split second decisions regarding friend & foe. There are also thousands of examples of where it goes wrong & the child retrieving a ball or the postman bear the consequences.

You can teach any dog to bark to use their superior hearing to alert you. But it needs to be an excited bark & not linked to any aggression like raised hackles. The deterrent value is is the bark & the alert. If a thief wants to bypass your dog they will steal it or poison it.

If you teach a dog to "see him off" then you have to take the blame if it bites the wrong person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

Discodog wrote: »
    You know that if a dog bites someone, even on your own property, it can end up being seized & destroyed. No dog should be a guard dog - it's really a form of cruelty because the dog has to make split second decisions regarding friend & foe. There are also thousands of examples of where it goes wrong & the child retrieving a ball or the postman bear the consequences.

i'd disagree in some circumstances. certain breeds excel at guarding. the belgian malinois that i mentioned is renowned for personal protection and guarding to the point that they are one of a few breeds that compete in protection sports (alongside pitbulls strangely enough!).

but just getting any breed trained is asking for trouble. best stick with a breed thats designed for the purpose.

• Advertisement

Discodog wrote: »

You can teach any dog to bark to use their superior hearing to alert you. But it needs to be an excited bark & not linked to any aggression like raised hackles. The deterrent value is is the bark & the alert. If a thief wants to bypass your dog they will steal it or poison it.

If you teach a dog to "see him off" then you have to take the blame if it bites the wrong person.

I perosnally assumed that's exactly what the OP meant - A dog that goes woof woof woof in the same way an alarm goes neeewa neeewa neewa. If I was Mr. Burgler and the choise was 50" plasma and woof woof v 42" plasma and neeewa neewa neeewa - I'd go neeeewa everytime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭gud4u

I perosnally assumed that's exactly what the OP meant - A dog that goes woof woof woof in the same way an alarm goes neeewa neeewa neewa. If I was Mr. Burgler and the choise was 50" plasma and woof woof v 42" plasma and neeewa neewa neeewa - I'd go neeeewa everytime.

Personally, I think any medium sized dog that'll just hang around is a good deterent. Thieves just want an easy in/out quick and anything that'll get in the way is enough to put them off.

As for an alarm, if you are in the country they are pointless, it takes the guards over an hour to get to our place and they told us we'd be low priority of a weekend. They did nothing only give us a bit of advice when we were getting robbed, despite the fact they knew who was doin it.

In the city, an alarm going off would be ignored as said by above.

I wouldn't get too caught up in the breed, my gsd is a fool but people are afraid of him because of his colouring.;)

My rottie is old and would lick you to death, so despite the breeds I have, they are still just a deterent.

I still stick by a jack russell as the best alarm/watch dog. And maybe a medium sized dog to go with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

I wouldn't underestimate the amount of dog theft going on, and not just pedigrees- you don't know what the person casing out your house is dealing in. My dog is the most valuable thing to me in my house anyway:)

• Registered Users Posts: 44 fatfacee

scudzilla wrote: »
    Boxer?? Loyal as anything, will stay with you and have a fierce bark.

They're amazing with kids too

My friends Boxer is afraid of it's own shadow. My uncles Boxer runs when the washing on the line blows. Neither bark when someone arrives to their houses. They look so tough but iare just little cute softies. I wouldn't recommend a boxer to be honest for guarding.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 fatfacee

A German Shepard or a Jack Russell.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭jupiterjack

i dont think it really matters which breed you get as long as you get it at a young age you can teach it to do what ever is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭jimmydkid

jack russell if you want a noisey little fecker or boxer if you want noise with some muscle attached :D

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RoverZT

Friend of mine has an Akita, very good guard dog, fearless and strong as a bull.Has him trained as a guard dog.

<Reference to dog fighting rules removed>

Kinda like a Wolf, he just stares at you and doesn't move until you do.

He will take you down in a second though, scary how strong they are.

I don't think anyone is suggesting this is what he wants the dog for! In the scenario you've described that dog is going to get destroyed if it bites anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Dobermann? Mine were brilliant guard dogs, but would never bite.

Advertisement