Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should selling dogs online be banned

• 23-04-2012 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭

Hi all. I got an e-mail from a well known Irish ads website on Saturday saying that my ad for dog for stud will not be renewed when the time is up as they are no longer advertising this service. Iam not sure if they are doing the same for dogs and pups for sale but I feel they will do.

I was actually happy they are doing this but I wonder what would happen if all websites were to be banned from advertising dogs for sale in Ireland either on Irish websites or on websites from outside Ireland.

Do you think it would lead to more dogs being abandoned or would it encourage puppy farmers and backyard breeders to give up altogether.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

I'd like to see it happen but personally I think it never will!

BYB were there a long time before the internet arrived, yeah they may sell an awful lot more now than they did 15-20 years ago but with no internet services, they will just dump the surplus and continue to breed at a slower rate!

edit: good thread topic by the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭MissRetro

I bought my dog online so I don't disagree with the practice but I do believe you have to use some common sense when doing so. I searched on a certain website, found the type of dog I wanted, it turned out to be bred by a guy who was within a few miles of my hometown (didn't know him btw). It was his first and only time breeding the pair as he wanted pups from the litter but when 8 arrived did not want to keep them all. I went to see both the pups and the parents who were all very well taken care of. The pups would have turned 9 weeks old on Christmas week but as I spend Christmas with my elderly grandmother I found this an awkward time to calmly settle my puppy into his new home. The breeder very kindly offered to take my puppy, along with his siblings that were not being rehomed, off to his in-laws for Christmas and have me collect him afterwards. My brother actually bumped into the breeder a while back and he was full of questions and wanted me to bring him to visit, I'll have to do so the next time I'm back home.. I just hope my pup won't decide he prefers his original family :eek: :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 jen84

I know all the animal rescue people think that the internet ad sites are a massive reason for the amount of unwanted dogs and can understand where they're coming from. Having said that thats how I got my dog. You can usually tell from the ad what type of people they are that are selling the dogs. My dog came from a nice family where I could see the mother, they didn't breed often at all and they dogs were very well looked after treated as part of the family. I guess people just need to be educated more about not going to these breeders/puppy farms, looking at the pups parents etc!! They'll always find someway to advertise tho so not sure it'll help that much if one site dosen't let them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Paula_Maula

I work as a volunteer for a rescue and although i've rescued dogs myself through a site I think the seller needs to be more careful, ensuring the new owner is a decent person and not someone who will I'll treat the dog.
    There is a lot of dog fighting going on and these "dogs free to good home" ads can attract the wrong kind of people.
    I think people just need to be a bit more educated in who they sell to as well as who they buy from.

same thing is happening with cockroaches. So many needing homes due to adds like this .......

<MODSNIP>

• Advertisement

same thing is happening with cockroaches. So many needing homes due to adds like this .......

<MODSNIP>

<MODSNIP>

Ha ha :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

jen84 - no links to pet sales (e.g. donedeal) you saw I'd snipped a post already for that, as well as it being in the forum charter. Don't post another link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 onegrandplan

jen84 wrote: »
    I know all the animal rescue people think that the internet ad sites are a massive reason for the amount of unwanted dogs and can understand where they're coming from. Having said that thats how I got my dog. You can usually tell from the ad what type of people they are that are selling the dogs. My dog came from a nice family where I could see the mother, they didn't breed often at all and they dogs were very well looked after treated as part of the family. I guess people just need to be educated more about not going to these breeders/puppy farms, looking at the pups parents etc!! They'll always find someway to advertise tho so not sure it'll help that much if one site dosen't let them

So you think that the puppy farmers on donedeal and other online sites, bring their prospective customers to their sheds to see the dogs in cages?

I'm afraid not my dear. They're an awful lot smarter than that and they thrive on people such as yourself who will respond to an ad and turn up thinking that if its not sheds and cages, it's not a puppy farm.

You've bought from at the very best, a backyard breeder. Backyard breeders put no consideration into the health of the sire or the dam and are out to make a quick buck. Dogs that shouldn't be bred from are thus bred from and the net result is a lot of quick and cheaply made puppies with genetic issues and a bleak long term outlook. At the very worst, you bought from a puppy farmer who is using their friends/family to masquerade as the owners of the pups and their house as the environment the pups were bought into.

Sorry to be a killjoy but you're not better than the people who don't "look at the pups mother".

The online sites are a parasite/cancer on dogs in Ireland and have multiplied the issues with puppy farmers and careless breeding. Though the IKC has its flaws, dealing through them and finding a reputable breeder minimizes the risks involved in buying a pedigree dog and does not support puppy farming or reckless breeding.

So you think that the puppy farmers on donedeal and other online sites, bring their prospective customers to their sheds to see the dogs in cages?

I'm afraid not my dear. They're an awful lot smarter than that and they thrive on people such as yourself who will respond to an ad and turn up thinking that if its not sheds and cages, it's not a puppy farm.

You've bought from at the very best, a backyard breeder. Backyard breeders put no consideration into the health of the sire or the dam and are out to make a quick buck. Dogs that shouldn't be bred from are thus bred from and the net result is a lot of quick and cheaply made puppies with genetic issues and a bleak long term outlook. At the very worst, you bought from a puppy farmer who is using their friends/family to masquerade as the owners of the pups and their house as the environment the pups were bought into.

Sorry to be a killjoy but you're not better than the people who don't "look at the pups mother".

The online sites are a parasite/cancer on dogs in Ireland and have multiplied the issues with puppy farmers and careless breeding. Though the IKC has its flaws, dealing through them and finding a reputable breeder minimizes the risks involved in buying a pedigree dog and does not support puppy farming or reckless breeding.

I don't think you need to be that cynical about all breeders or myself! There are alot of good breeders out there and its incredibly unfair of people to tar them all with the same brush, as if no breeders care about the health or welfare of their own dogs or the pups! Of course there are bad breeders out there, and they cause the problems along with those who don't neuter etc. I'm a very good judge of character and I know for a fact my dog came from a good breeder. I had several phone conversations with the lady asking numerous questions before going to visit the house and in addition she was very eager to know about our family to make sure she was going to a good home. The mother was quite obviously a cherished family pet adored by the children which I witnessed. I happened to bump into the family again a few months later and they were full of questions as to how she was doing etc. I understand people heavily involved in the area can get very cynical but there are good people out there

Advertisement