Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Going ot france via ferry.

• 23-04-2012 11:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Ok this is stupid but nevertheless here it is.
    I want to go to europe this summer.
    I have a 250cc bike and only a provisional license.
    So I know i'm not allowed to cross into france, but screw it.
    So the question is, do the french police check every motorist licenses when coming a land?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 64 ✭✭Stumper931

Asked a friend who has done the journey several times they never checked his but you are still taking a risk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I've done it three times and we were checked every time on the way onto the ferry in Ireland. We were checked once coming off in France. We were never checked getting on in France or getting off in Ireland.

Be warned though you can be done for driving without a licence in France even if you have an Irish provisional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,412 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Stupid bloody idea.

You might get away with it, but you'll lose out big time if you are caught. You will be done for no licence and invalid insurance, you will be fined several thousand euro and your bike seized. You may or may not get jail time. The 'I'm a tourist' card won't work as they are sick of foreign drivers & riders going over there and taking the piss, there is no leniency.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The French police are very strict there is absolutely no leniency with them.
    If you are picked up at a stop then expect to be punished for riding with no license or insurance which is no joke.
    1 yr jail or E15,000 fine for no license which is what a provisonal license is in France.

OP I hope you aren't thinking about it because it could go horribly wrong for you and French jails are not nice places.

http://www.french-property.com/guides/france/driving-in-france/driving-offences/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Fyyyaaa wrote: »
    Ok this is stupid but nevertheless here it is.
    I want to go to europe this summer.
    I have a 250cc bike and only a provisional license.
    So I know i'm not allowed to cross into france, but screw it.
    So the question is, do the french police check every motorist licenses when coming a land?

You do NOT have a licence.

You have a learners Permit.

Read what it says on the outside of the permit!

It is a permit to learn to ride in the country that issued it to you only.

Book your test, pass your test, then go to France.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Just to add to what everyone else is saying this is a really stupid idea. Whats the rush? Why not do the test first?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Fyyyaaa

WOW, I'm surprised they are that strict thanks for the heads up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

You're surprised they're strict on driving without a licence?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 gone_fishing

you would have to be mad to go over with out your full licence. book your test for as soon as possible then ring the test centre every morning looking for cancelations tell them you need it for work or you'll loose your job or some BS like that and you'll have your test in no time. I did it and had my test within 6days of applying origionaly just be prepaird to go a bit further than your nearest test centre to do it but its well worth it. I can't stress enough how much heart ache you could have ahead of you if your caught in france with out a licencce its not like nipping across the border to the north they are really really strict. Best of luck all the same what ever you decide to do.:)

Thanks To all for putting sense into my head. :o
    But especially to you Gone fishing. ;)
    That is a great idea, but one thing do you apply first, and then start ringing in.
    And also that was a motorbike test (how long ago was it?) .
    I rang them about MB cancellations she said they didn't do them or something down those lines.
    Any solid ground excuse I could bases my moaning on?

• Advertisement

Gone fishing, Did they ask for any proof of a job.
    So could I just say DURRR I basically will have a job, if I have a full license by june. With DHL as courier. I really need this job etc.
    Would this work? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You don't need any excuse to get a cancellation. Just call first thing every morning, it's first the first caller who gets the test and once you except they can't take it off you.

What's the power of your 250? Our cops might not check yet but the French, and most other police forces, will check to make sure your legal.

I was talking to a woman from the rsa and she said they don't do cancellations, (from previous experience I know not to really rely on information I have been givin by ppl from rsa or other agencies) So do you know they do MB cancellations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Might be a work to rule or she was mistaken. The testers are available so they should be using them.

I got a cancellation for my test a couple of years ago. Rang on Thursday evening and got test on Monday morning. I rang to enquire when my test date would be as I'd applied ages before.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 gone_fishing

Fyyyaaa wrote: »
    Thanks To all for putting sense into my head. :o
    But especially to you Gone fishing. ;)
    That is a great idea, but one thing do you apply first, and then start ringing in.
    And also that was a motorbike test (how long ago was it?) .
    I rang them about MB cancellations she said they didn't do them or something down those lines.
    Any solid ground excuse I could bases my moaning on?
    No problem man, I did it about a yaer ago. I booked my test first and ticked the box saying I would take a cancelation. Then I rang them a few days later and said I would do the test in meath, dublin , wicklow or kildare it didn't matter which. I just said I was a courrier and that my boss told me I would loose my job because I really should have had a full licence to begin with (which is crap). After that I just rang them every morning and evetualy got one for two days down the road.Just be prepaird to go at any stage and keep practicing.

hope this helps and hope you get your test;)

Advertisement