Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

non-gaming new build - €400 to spend

Options
  • 23-04-2012 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

my old Dell dimension 4700 has expired - constant amber light and fan on full whack at start-up, so rather than spending a €100 on finding out if its the motherboard or power supply I'm going to hopefully build a new PC

1. What is your budget? [€400 - less if possible]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Microsoft office applications, photoshop, autocad, and a small bit of video editing

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? sata harddrive 1tb

5. Do you need a monitor? [/No]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. n.a.
    5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? no idea current resolution - will be upgrading in a while though

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? wireless card

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Yes please

8. How can you pay? bank transfer or credit card

9. When are you purchasing? hopefully this week

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? n.a.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 bertieboy

ok so I've done a bit of looking at other threads and have come up with the following:

Intel Core i5-2500K Box, LGA1155

8GB-Kit Corsair XMS3 PC3-12800U CL9

Z68 Pro3 Gen3, Sockel 1155, ATX
    82,61 €

Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 550W
    56,53 €

BitFenix Merc Beta
    31,60 €

LG GH22NS50/70/90 bare schwarz
    17,83 €

LogiLink Wireless LAN 300 Mbps PCI Karte 802.11n 2T2R
    16,42 €

Total 436,23 €

Sorry - for format - how do ye include shopping basket with www links?

Does build look ok? Not sure if its overkill for my needs - listed above.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭luyolo

You could drop down to the 450w amazon. It's fine for your uses otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056303834

The i5 2500k is way over kill for what you are using it for.
    Try this: http://www2.hardwareversand.de/Socket+1155/50381/Intel+Core+i3-2130+Box%2C+LGA1155.article

It will probably be better for editing as it has hyper-threading + its over 50euro cheaper so thats a bonus :P

If you want to save another 15euro, a 450W PSU is plenty.

And again, if you want to lower the motherboard to a H61 you can, (if you decide to stick with the i5 2500k, then stick with the Z68 too ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

This might be the one situation were AMD bulldozer could be the better option. Photoshop, autocad, and a small bit of video editing, wouldn't that suit Bullozer?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

This might be the one situation were AMD bulldozer could be the better option. Photoshop, autocad, and a small bit of video editing, wouldn't that suit Bullozer?

Nah, I was in an Architects office about two weeks ago, and this was a big all-ireland company with about 50 architects hired.
    I went on their computer and they were all using DELL computers with an old AMD X2 Processor and 2GB of RAM.

Photoshop, and Autocad were the programs I was using and they both ran perfectly fine.

• Advertisement
Advertisement