Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Customising ms Outlook to use as a CRM tool

Options
  • 23-04-2012 11:53pm

I'd like to customise ms outlook so that I can use it as a CRM tool. I need to add certain fields so that I select a contact as a Client, Supplier or Contact. I also need to add a fields to record VAT and PPS numbers. Can anyone explain the best way for doing this?

Anyone else here use Outlook as their CRM tool?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Would be surprised if MS Dynamics CRM didn't already have something for this to be honest. Quick look and they do integrate in Outlook. CRM isnt really my field any more but I'm going to guess Dynamics would satisfy your needs although it might not be best suited in terms of cost.

If you need to code up your own then welcome to the world of VSTO. Pretty straight forward at first glance and 101 pitfalls when you look deeper. I currently have a few Outlook add-in's developed or in development for different products I work on. Depending on what your exact requirements are it could be simple or a royal pain in the ass :).

Do you have any form of existing CRM?

kayos wrote: »
    Would be surprised if MS Dynamics CRM didn't already have something for this to be honest. Quick look and they do integrate in Outlook. CRM isnt really my field any more but I'm going to guess Dynamics would satisfy your needs although it might not be best suited in terms of cost.

If you need to code up your own then welcome to the world of VSTO. Pretty straight forward at first glance and 101 pitfalls when you look deeper. I currently have a few Outlook add-in's developed or in development for different products I work on. Depending on what your exact requirements are it could be simple or a royal pain in the ass :).

Requirements are relatively straight forward. I need additional fields for recording Vat and pps numbers etc. what type of add ins do u have?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

kayos wrote: »

It does this alright - the integration with Outlook is excellent. However, CAL licences for CRM 2011 certainly aren't cheap...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

brenbrady wrote: »
    Requirements are relatively straight forward. I need additional fields for recording Vat and pps numbers etc. what type of add ins do u have?

They are all Unified Communications orientated. Nothing that would do what you want.

So I take it you have no existing CRM pity as what you would normally do is integrate your CRM into Outlook rather than having outlook as your CRM. Outlook is a PIM first and foremost.

There are a couple of options open to you if you want to go the custom route. You could do it all from in outlook and not have to go into VSTO proper. Or actually http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=1619 there are a few sample add-ins here and the travel agency one should give you a good idea of what you want to do. This is a pretty old way of doing things as it makes use of ofs files for the form regions. Pretty sure you can get a more up to date version of those samples but all depends on what version of Outlook you need to support if you want them or not.

Any way the travel agency add-in allows you to do enter custom data against a Contact and this is stored in either an attachment file or in a Custom User Property of the ContactItem. So you end up using your local store for all the data.

If you had a CRM solution already and just want to front end it with Outlook you would store the data in your CRM and then link Outlook Contacts with your CRM Contacts etc. Then when in outlook and on the contact form you would pull the data from the CRM to display it in outlook.

Feel free to ask any questions or PM me.

Advertisement