Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The cost to Carlow of Anglo Irish Bank.

Options
  • 24-04-2012 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

This post from Awaken Longford http://awakenlongford.wordpress.com/2012/04/10/anglo-irish-bank-debt-facts-for-the-people-of-longford/ made me want to do the same calculation for Carlow.

Population of Ireland 2011 = 4,239,848

Current debt from Anglo Irish Bank Promissory Note = €47,000,000,000.00 (that’s €47 Billion including Interest)

Population of Carlow 2011 = 54,532

Cost per head (Man, Woman & Child) of Anglo Debt for the population of Ireland = €11,298.00

Cost of Anglo Debt for the population of Carlow

= €11,298.00 X 54,532 = €616,102,536.00 (that’s €616.1 Million)

€616,102,536.00 – that’s €616.1 Million for the County of Carlow.

Total Debt from Anglo Irish Bank Promissory Note including State Borrowings – €85,000,000,000.00 (that’s €85 Billion including Interest)

Cost per head (Man, Woman & Child) of Anglo Debt for the population of Ireland = €20,048.00

Cost per head (Man, Woman & Child) of Anglo Debt for the population of Carlow

€20,048,.00

X 54,532

€1,093,257,536.00 – that’s over €1 Billion Euro for the County of Carlow!

THIS IS UNSECURED DEBT WE DO NOT HAVE TO PAY, ITS NOT OUR DEBT!

Think what we could do for Carlow if we had a Billion Euro to play with?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

THIS IS UNSECURED DEBT WE DO NOT HAVE TO PAY, ITS NOT OUR DEBT!

Think what we could do for Carlow if we had a Billion Euro to play with?

With respect, it is our debt now, the Government guranteed it and are paying it.

The Government were democratically elected by the people of this country including those from Carlow who elected MJ Nolan!

I remember before the 2nd last election meeting Bertie in the Fairgreen and the reception he got made me sick, I had a go at him but most people just wanted to shake his hand.

George Bernard Shaw: "Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve"

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Jacques Thelad

I gave the present government a mandate based on their pre-election promises. They have ignored that mandate and continued the policies of the previous incompetents.

It's still not my debt, no more than the banks profits were mine when they were raking it in hand over fist. Still, as George Bush said: "Fool me once, I'm a f***ing eejit."

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I gave the present government a mandate based on their pre-election promises. They have ignored that mandate and continued the policies of the previous incompetents.

It's still not my debt, no more than the banks profits were mine when they were raking it in hand over fist. Still, as George Bush said: "Fool me once, I'm a f***ing eejit."

In all fairness, they are the Government and we elected them. The country is fcuked when it comes to the finances because the previous government guaranteed that Anglo's debts will be paid (and fcuked due to previous bad budgets etc). Therefore Anglo debt has become OUR debt wether we like it or not.

People are giving out about this guarantee and want it cancelled. Don't forget that the government have guaranteed all bank deposits up to €100,000. Do you want this cancelled too? What happens if a bank goes bust then? Everybody loses 100% of their savings. Would you be happy to risk that?

I'm not a FG/Labour supporter by any means but bitching about broken promises etc. will get us nowhere. If we didn't go with FG/Labour, who then would govern us??? Would you have left Fianna Fail in charge? FG/Labour inherited a pile of sh1te that would take a miracle worker to do anything with.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭godwin

I wont pay any of it , I graduate next year , hopefully with my masters in programming , and I'm emigrating as soon as I can , I'm not staying in Ireland paying crazy tax with nothing to show for it , and working for a crap wage... Canada here I come.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

godwin wrote: »
    I wont pay any of it , I graduate next year , hopefully with my masters in programming , and I'm emigrating as soon as I can , I'm not staying in Ireland paying crazy tax with nothing to show for it , and working for a crap wage... Canada here I come.

But yet you don't mind getting the benefit of the education system and then don't want to put anything back into the system that educated you. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭godwin

Definitely , this is the same system that expects me to pay for the Billions losses of private individuals over the course of 20 years , I won't help Ireland in anyway , if the people of Ireland are ok with paying for these losses then so be it ,I wont be one of them.

P.s I paid tax & prsi for 11 years , got let go , now I use my stamps in the form of BTEA to pay for my education, so the "benefits of the education" system are paid for by me.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    But yet you don't mind getting the benefit of the education system and then don't want to put anything back into the system that educated you. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Advertisement