Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why is the ipod/iphone usb cable so long?

• 24-04-2012 1:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,819 ✭✭✭✭

Hi there,

I've a standard Apple usb cable for my ipod.

I haven't measured it but I guess it's about a metre long.

Anyone know if there's short usb cables on sale?Either Apple or non-Apple

I think it would be cool if there was a usb key style connector that you could carry around in your pocket so a) it wouldnt be as long and b) it would be easier to take music from friend's itunes.

Or does Apple not want people to be able to do this as they want people to buy directly from the itunes store?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

Incase do 6 inch iPhone cables. Expensive though €18 on the Apple online store

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,819 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Thanks for that!

That's pretty much what I was looking for!

I wonder does any company do even smaller ones?

Maybe even just the usb bit and apple connector bit with no cable (or very little) in between?

But beggars can't be choosers I suppose! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,944 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swampy353

This post has been deleted.
    Two euro shops have them

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭princemuzzy

swampy353 wrote: »
    Two euro shops have them

i had and iluv retractable one was great untill i snapped the case havent seen one about since it really does clean up the aul desk not having wires hanging everywhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

The leads are too short if you ask me. Especially since it doubles up as the charging lead also. Have you ever tried to make a call while charging the phone? Makes you feel like Peter Crouch in a Wendy tent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,819 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

TheChevron wrote: »
    The leads are too short if you ask me. Especially since it doubles up and the charging lead also. Have you ever tried to make a call while charging the phone? Makes you feel like Peter Crouch in a Wendy tent.

Funnily enough when I googled ''why are ipod cables so long'' pretty much all the results were ''why are ipod cables so short''..

I dont have an iphone but I can see how that would be annoying alright!

I guess the ipod is different in that you dont really need a long cable to charge it/get music from laptop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

TheChevron wrote: »
    The leads are too short if you ask me. Especially since it doubles up as the charging lead also. Have you ever tried to make a call while charging the phone? Makes you feel like Peter Crouch in a Wendy tent.

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,658 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Eod100 wrote: »
    Hi there,

I think it would be cool if there was a usb key style connector that you could carry around in your pocket so a) it wouldnt be as long and b) it would be easier to take music from friend's itunes.

Or does Apple not want people to be able to do this as they want people to buy directly from the itunes store?

Thanks!

What about this ?

Mini iPhone Cable

sku_25809_1.jpg

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Eod100 wrote: »
    Hi there,

Thanks!

No Apple don't want you doing that. If they did they would have made it easy to transfer from iPod to PC. They have agreements with all the major music companies, and have to be seen to make copying off Apple equipment as difficult as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Here's a keyring charging cable. I've got one and can confirm that it works well. Only really suitable for emergency use though as it's very short.

54336-76b8841f-26f9-4be7-8e34-77c71f18737e.jpg

54336-b55fca76-91cc-48f5-bce4-e8e8f35272e3.jpg

Advertisement