Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone see the Aurora Borealis in Galway skies tonight?

Options
  • 24-04-2012 1:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭

I heard that it might be visible. Anyone see it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭chuckliddell

the what?

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭lucianot

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

The Aurora Borealis? At this time of year? At this time of day? In this part of the country? Localised entirely within your kitchen?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Robbo wrote: »
    The Aurora Borealis? At this time of year? At this time of day? In this part of the country? Localised entirely within your kitchen?

I say Robbo, hardly the time of year for magic mushrooms is it. ??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

It was visible last night in the North, check out the video on the link below, depending on weather conditions this week it may well be visible in the West at some time of the night. Not sure why posters are are not taking the OP serious when it was on the news it could be seen at some time..

Link: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056383887&page=25

• Advertisement

Wow, someone is quick off the ball very early in the morning. Impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

I spent last night between 10 pm and 11 pm down at the end of the walkway to Mutton Island watching the Skies...Saw plenty of Satellites , Shooting stars Space Craft but no Northern lights :(
    (True except for the space craft part)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Didn't see it, although spectacular double rainbow earlier in the evening over the bay. Visible without mushrooms.:p
    Must keep an eye out for the lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

When living in north Mayo a few years ago it was very clear one night but can't remember what time of year it was.

Very spectacular.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

May I see it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I was going to say that.
    Wow, someone is quick off the ball very early in the morning. Impressive.

Then I was going to say that.

Flip you both!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

hal9000 wrote: »
    May I see it?
    No!

Das Kitty wrote: »
    I was going to say that.

Then I was going to say that.

Flip you both!

nelson.jpg

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Well played sir. Well played.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭lucianot

It's not related to the time of the year but to the solar activity. The Sun is quite active and it is sending bursts of radiation towards the Earth quite often and that will trigger exceptional auroras.

cracked up reading this, especially at this "Flip you both" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

Seymour! The house is on fire!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

the northern lights were extremely visible in donegal and the colours were amazing. Even made the news. Stunning.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 newmanr1

Photo of an Aurora from County Galway on April 24t by Conor Ledwith at www.galayastronomyclub.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

newmanr1 wrote: »
    Photo of an Aurora from County Galway on April 24t by Conor Ledwith at www.galayastronomyclub.ie

You mistyped the URL there it's www.galwayastronomyclub.ie . Happens to us all. :)

Wow though, thank you for posting,there are some beautiful pics on that site. My heart lurched and did a little leap at the same time when I saw the Galway aurora pic. I'd have killed to have seen that. Well done to the photographer. Just goes to show, we all need to spend less time looking at pics of these things online and more time looking skywards...even in Galway:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement