Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boring things you think are amazing

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The fact that some objects are so far away the distance has to be measured by the speed of light!
    You know the way your computer is measured in GHz ?

Each cycle at 1GHz is a nanosecond long, and light would travel nearly a foot in that time. Your computer can add two numbers in the time it would take light to travel across it.

We've moved to 22nm feature size on 450mm silicon wafers.

Ireland is about 450Km north to south, so if the wafer was the size of this island , 22nm would be 22mm, a little bit under an inch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Perfume, the ingredients that go into it, the base notes, the origins of different perfumes.

I like to spend time on a certain perfume website, reading reviews, investigating the different ingredients, base notes, how good the silage is and then ordering different sample perfumes on ebay to test how they smell on my skin.

I'm a perfume nerd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Each cycle at 1GHz is a nanosecond long, and light would travel nearly a foot in that time. Your computer can add two numbers in the time it would take light to travel across it.

Ireland is about 450Km north to south, so if the wafer was the size of this island , 22nm would be 22mm, a little bit under an inch.
    Fascinzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭girl2

:confused::confused::confused:

Perfume, the ingredients that go into it, the base notes, the origins of different perfumes.

I like to spend time on a certain perfume website, reading reviews, investigating the different ingredients, base notes, how good the silage is and then ordering different sample perfumes on ebay to test how they smell on my skin.

I'm a perfume nerd.

What's your favourite one, and then we can judge ya?? :D

• Advertisement

girl2 wrote: »
    What's your favourite one, and then we can judge ya?? :D

Oh don't get me started.....seriously!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

:confused::confused::confused:
    Silicon chips are very finely etched.

And the way wine tasters can't tell cheap plonk if you blindfold them.

Who's bright idea was it to use the half digested remains of squids beaks rescued from the intestines of a sperm whale as a base for perfume ?

Though I can understand why the offices on a slave galley wore perfume, slaves were chained to the oars for up to seven years. No trips to the bathroom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,281 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Buildings and architecture. To a lot of people buildings are just... there. Places of work, of shopping, of drinking, eating etc etc, but I can't help find myself looking at almost every detail on a buildings facade. Spotting subtle characteristics that help identify when the building was constructed and sometimes the person that designed it.

Oh don't get me started.....seriously!

Ah g'wan! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

The way I can walk diagonally across a busy train concourse whilst holding a cup of coffee, thinking about ****, whilst my body automatically adjusts speed direction to avoid bumping into people.

I think about that from time to time, including earlier today as I was crossing a road with traffic coming in both directions (probably a poor idea).
    I remember a maths teacher explaining all the various calculations that you are undertaking in a split second, distance between you and the other car/s, speed of the cars, your speed, distance to the other side of the road, etc.

Jess16 wrote: »
    Cleaning -all of it. The washing, scrubbing, organising, throwing things out -it literally makes my head feel clearer. Then sitting back at the end, admiring how great the place looks and feeling immensely satisfied with your handywork

Does it have to be your place? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭MissRetro

Excuse the stereotypical Irish answer but... tea! :D

Ah g'wan! :p

Well at the moment, it's Gucci Flora eau fraiche. Smells amazing and lasts forever.

Judge away! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

MissRetro wrote: »
    Excuse the stereotypical Irish answer but... tea! :D

Stop spamming, tea is the nectar of the gods and a sacred and fascinating drink,

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭MissRetro

44leto wrote: »
    Stop spamming, tea is the nectar of the gods and a sacred and fascinating drink,

Spamming?

Well at the moment, it's Gucci Flora eau fraiche. Smells amazing and lasts forever.

Judge away! :D

Ahhhh, never smelt it, so cant make judgement.

However..........any other Gucci one I did smell, I wasnt overly impressed.

Am a pure poision lassie myself.

Ahhhh, never smelt it, so cant make judgement.

However..........any other Gucci one I did smell, I wasnt overly impressed.

Am a pure poision lassie myself.

Oooh, you gotta have balls to wear Poison! I prefer Tendre Poison myself, although sadly it's now discontinued.

Edit: I think you said Pure Poison, as opposed to Poison. I love Pure Poison, much nicer than the original!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

I pick up used bus tickets to see what time they got on, how long the ticket had been there, where they went and then imagine who they were and what they were doing.

Then I follow them off the bus and surprise them.
    I was thifting before and found a 2008 pristine bus ticket in a jacket pocket, mind blown. man I am a loser.

Oooh, you gotta have balls to wear Poison! I prefer Tendre Poison myself, although sadly it's now discontinued.

Edit: I think you said Pure Poison, as opposed to Poison. I love Pure Poison, much nicer than the original!

Yea, its the Pure Poison version......so gorgeous!

(though got a present of Estee Lauder's Sensous and have taken a liking to it too!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

never knew there were so many of us:D:D

• Advertisement

(though got a present of Estee Lauder's Sensous and have taken a liking to it too!)

If you like that one, you should try Estee Lauder Pleasures as well. One of my all-time favourite perfumes ever.

*I told you not to get me started!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

If you like that one, you should try Estee Lauder Pleasures as well. One of my all-time favourite perfumes ever.

Never been a big fan of Estee Lauder, far too floral for my likings;)

mishkalucy wrote: »

I like white floral and tuberose based perfumes, not rose-based ones though (very old ladyish).

Pleasures is the only Estee Lauder one I really love.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Davidson2k9

When i look at the moon, someone in fecking India could be looking at it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Well-drilling rigs.

mishkalucy wrote: »

I was never much into it either, would never have bought it for myself, only got it as a present and I have to say I love it. Not is much floral at all really. Get a wwe squirt and see what ya think!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

The way reality is put together. Like how if I bend my arm at the elbow I then have a bent arm the existence of which is highly improbable , the improbability exploding exponentially to infinity if you also factor in the probability of my existing as a conscious being to view it.... whoaaaa dudeeeeee *trippy*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Who else here follows Nationwide religiously? I don't think it's boring..

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭captainjack

Always entertained with a compass.

Taken a compass in a plane and underwater just to be sure it wouldn't behave any differently. Obviously I knew it wouldn't but I enjoyed the experiment :D

How people can navigate around the seas with compass and the stars..

I saw a piece on the BBC South Pacific documentary about a really old man who could determine the direction of land just by reading the waves around him.

Mass congregations or migrations of animals,
    for example how turtles roam the planet's temperate and tropical waters feeding and then they all find there way back to the same beach they were born on (and left within 1hour of hatching), they manage to time this so that no matter how far away they are they all arrive within a few days of each other to coincide with a full moon..

Blows my tiny mind

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Susie_Q

When i look at the moon, someone in fecking India could be looking at it too.

Let's make this dream come alive! We can set a date and time then give a virtual high five :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

How when you type five on here. The dot off the 'i' becomes part of the upper horizon of the 'f' o.O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Miike wrote: »
    How when you type five on here. The dot off the 'i' becomes part of the upper horizon of the 'f' o.O

five.

:eek:

What has been seen can never be unseen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

crazygeryy wrote: »
    An airplane.how something so ****ing humongus can get off the ground its amazing to watch.

And looking out to sea ...............just contemplating everything.

If you can imagine the shape of the blade looking in from the side.

The shape is curved on the top surface and more or less flat on the bottom.

The pressure acting on air in the open is atmospheric, which is 101,000 pascals.

This is the cool part, energy can't be created or lost so there has to be energy conservation.

The faster a fluid goes, the lower the pressure gets. I imagine that a fluid wants to travel at infinite speed, but the atmospheric pressure acting on it slows it down.

http://www.symscape.com/files/images/naca-4415-airfoil.png

Imagine the air flowing from right to left, it has to split into 2 directions when it hits the wing, and it meets at one point at the other side.

If you measure the length of the line across the top of the wing, it's longer than the bottom, so for the air to meet at the same point on the left, the air on the top has to travel quicker than the air at the bottom.

This means the pressure drops on the top while the pressure on the bottom stays the same, meaning the pressure acting up is stronger than the pressure acting down.

That's a general idea :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Lighthouses, I could sit and watch one all evening.

Tides. Im the only person I know who notes what level the rivers tide is at and how fast/what direction its flowing every time I see a river.

Seconding birds, although I despise crows with a passion.
    I cant count the amount of times I spaced out in secondary school looking out the window just watching a wagtail or blackbird hopping around outside. Hilarious and cute.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Hokuto

-Touching works of embroidery
    -Smelling the petrol when I'm waiting for the car to fill up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

cocoshovel wrote: »
    Seconding birds, although I despise crows with a passion.
    Tasty with a bit of soy sauce though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

Now that I'm living away from home, every week I buy the groceries for myself it feels like a mini Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Now that I'm living away from home, every week I buy the groceries for myself it feels like a mini Christmas.

Lol the simple things in life.

Women :pac:

Samich wrote: »
    This is the cool part, energy can't be created or lost so there has to be energy conservation.

The faster a fluid goes, the lower the pressure gets. I imagine that a fluid wants to travel at infinite speed, but the atmospheric pressure acting on it slows it down.)
    A lot of it gets converted into heat. And there is a whole lot of inertia going on too where air doesn't want to change direction.

And the really weird bit, in supersonic flow air will stay attached around sharper corners than in subsonic flow, really counter intuitive stuff.

SR71 used to leak fuel while on the ground until the friction from the air resistance caused the metal on the wings to expand enough to seal the leaks.

D'ya see once they got through the sound barrier , the next problem was the 'thermal thicket' because aluminium alloys get weak with heat.

Water Bears are amazing. And so are Mantis Shrimp. And I like Moschops.

I prefer a good autobiography to a bestseller novel. Everybody has one good book in them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,529 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Living things. There are so many living things around to see. A personal favorite is seeing a Blackbird digging in leaves, they're in their element. Also, anything squirrels do.

And yet so many people walk about with their faces down staring into their phone or trying not to make eye contact with anyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

kowloon wrote: »
    Living things. There are so many living things around to see. A personal favorite is seeing a Blackbird digging in leaves, they're in their element. Also, anything squirrels do.

And yet so many people walk about with their faces down staring into their phone or trying not to make eye contact with anyone else.

I notice this too,people walking through parks on their phones etc,completely oblivious to nature all around them. It's sad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

SR71 used to leak fuel while on the ground until the friction from the air resistance caused the metal on the wings to expand enough to seal the leaks.

I remember this. That is something very cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Enough people voted for FF to keep them in power as long as they were. Seriously. Boring and flabbergasting at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

rain outside your house when your in bed, love that sound sends me to sleep in seconds

beano345 wrote: »
    rain outside your house when your in bed, love that sound sends me to sleep in seconds

Why are you awake so ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

Why are you awake so ?

no rain in toronto tonight plus its only 9.00 not my bedtime yet

Plenty enough rain in Ireland to go around :)

The smell of rain on really dry concrete

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

this.. point in my life, ive come to. where all the things I previously deemed boring are now amazing?

Worth waiting for. Crank that crystal swing up baby..

• Advertisement
Advertisement