Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two arrested following discovery of body

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

thomasm wrote: »

Here we go again :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

RIP :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

RTE says
    Two people have been arrested following the death of a man in Waterford city last night.
    Gardaí are treating the death as suspicious.
    The body of the man who was in his 60s was found in an apartment in the city last night. It was discovered in the Scotch Marsh House apartment complex, in the Scotch Quay area of the city.
    It is not yet known how the man died.
    A man in his late 40s and a woman in her late 30s have been arrested for questioning.
    The man's body remains at the scene and the Office of the State Pathologist has been notified.
    Both can be held for up to 24 hours under Section 4 of the Criminal Justice Act.
    Gardaí are appealing for anyone who may have seen anything suspicious in the Scotch Quay, Scotsh Hall or William and Canada Street area's of the city between half nine and half past ten last night to come forward.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0424/mans-body-found-in-a-waterford-apartment-block.html

So it seems that scotch Quay is not the place to be these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

It doesnt seem like that bad of an area. Stuff like this can happen anywhere, as it did in Kilkenny a few months back in a fairly nice area.

I still dont know where Scothc Quay is, I know the general area by canada street but its not listed on any maps. Is it jjust an apartment complex?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

cocoshovel wrote: »

It doesnt seem like that bad of an area. Stuff like this can happen anywhere, as it did in Kilkenny a few months back in a fairly nice area.

I still dont know where Scothc Quay is, I know the general area by canada street but its not listed on any maps. Is it jjust an apartment complex?

Left turn after the little stone bridge on Lombard street, just before the auction house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Nypd wrote: »
    Left turn after the little stone bridge on Lombard street, just before the auction house

Thought that was Georges Quay?

Scotch Quay is the cobblstone quay that leads into the marina hotel. Under the bridge into a cul de sac is Harbour View, and around the corner leads into canada street.

For no reason whatsoever, here is a view into the canada street/park road area.

This is the 3rd major incident in this area in recent months. It's 85% foreigners down this way (according to a well known real estate agent.)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,100 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Its down by Lombard St,Canada St, all that area. Thats not the best place to be

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Isn't there a very expensive apartment complex in that area? Two beds used to go for like €800 a month.

I used to live down in Adelphi Quay many years ago and i never saw an ounce of trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

This is the 3rd major incident in this area in recent months. It's 85% foreigners down this way (according to a well known real estate agent.)

Well I hope it turns out to be Irish killers then. It'll mean the residents are in fact fairly safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭TheGormog

Very sad news, RIP. A homegrown incident I hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭membersonly

mike65 wrote: »
    Well I hope it turns out to be Irish killers then. It'll mean the residents are in fact fairly safe.

It wouldn't mean that at all though really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

Not foreigners its local and apparently its a brother of a well known name in the city ....bad beating the man got apparently :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭deisemum

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

It's a grand area, never see any hassle or violent incidents. Very mixed population from students and non-nationals to more or less every class of people.

That said, there have been stabbings and a suspicious death within a week or so, if you include Canada sq. But, these are private incidents, between people who know each other. It's a different thing when people are assaulted on the street at random, which I've never seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭ILoveShoez

Does it matter if they are Irish or Foreign?! Someone is now mourning the loss of a loved one be it a brother, father, uncle, nephew etc.

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,171 ✭✭✭hardybuck

merlante wrote: »
    It's a grand area, never see any hassle or violent incidents. Very mixed population from students and non-nationals to more or less every class of people.

That said, there have been stabbings and a suspicious death within a week or so, if you include Canada sq. But, these are private incidents, between people who know each other. It's a different thing when people are assaulted on the street at random, which I've never seen.

If I was recommending an area to a friend or relative, I wouldn't be classing it as 'grand' because the violent assaults/murders take place behind closed doors. If this is where we are as a society then standards must be at an all time low.

Exactly. It's absolutely ridiculous to call it a grand area after the amount of incidents that have happened there recently.

And Iloveshoez, it may not matter where they were from but there's nothing wrong with us talking about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Bluezar

I live down in Scotch quay and I love living down there. Bit unfair to judge everyone by the actions of scumbags. Had the Gardai at the door earlier asking me and my mates quetions about the incident. The Garda told me that a man had been killed. Street is cordoned off now and all the press were put back onto William Street as only residents could come in and out. Forensics were in there about an hour ago when I left home

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭batm!ke

Bluezar wrote: »
    I live down in Scotch quay and I love living down there. Bit unfair to judge everyone by the actions of scumbags. Had the Gardai at the door earlier asking me and my mates quetions about the incident. The Garda told me that a man had been killed. Street is cordoned off now and all the press were put back onto William Street as only residents could come in and out. Forensics were in there about an hour ago when I left home

^ This. I lived on Scotch Quay / William St. / Canada Square for 5 years and never actually saw trouble. Could be a few dodgy-looking characters around alright but never happened upon an incident or was involved in one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Yeah, I lived down there (a good while back) and my brother presently does. No real issues at all. I never felt threatened, and neither did anyone I know.

I suppose the fact that there is a big concentration of single males and divorced guys means that there are sometimes drinking sessions where friendly banter can take an unexpected turn when some eejit has had ten too many. That seems to be the sort of thing that happens down there.

There certainly aren't gangs of scumbags assaulting passers-by like you get in more suburban areas though. I'd have no problem walking around there at any time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,583 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Thats two horrible deaths in the city today :(

I lived in harbour view for a long time, but like you guys I kept myself to myself and never really strayed towards canada street. And I often walked home from work at 2 and 3am...never a bother. But I wouldn't go as far as to say the area is a grand spot.

hardybuck wrote: »
    If I was recommending an area to a friend or relative, I wouldn't be classing it as 'grand' because the violent assaults/murders take place behind closed doors. If this is where we are as a society then standards must be at an all time low.

I think you're missing the point. That man who died, died not because he went for a walk along Scotch quay. He died because he knew the wrong people. If the group had been over in his house, instead, we'd be talking about a 'suspicious death' in Spring Garden alley.

Where would you prefer to live? Somewhere where every once in a while somebody gets beaten up on the street, or somewhere where nobody ever gets beaten up on the street but where somebody gets killed by acquaintances behind closed doors? I'd take the safe streets, personally. And there'd want to be a lot more murders and stabbings before I'd be reluctant to recommend an area in which I have never witnessed any violence. There are plenty of housing estates where people haven't been murdered but where gangs roam and occasionally attack people. That is not where I would like to live.

I remember one year Waterford was named 'murder capital' for its murder rate. Did we all stop recommending Waterford as a place to live? (That was for 4 (!) murders in the city and county that year, by the way.)

As far as I'm concerned, these violent incidents are a function of the sort of people the victims hang around with. Until members of the general public start getting preyed upon, beaten up, robbed, etc., I wouldn't hesitate to recommend an area to someone. (You may remember that an individual was beaten to death in the park by a couple of guys with hurleys a few years back. This has stopped neither parents bringing children to the park nor joggers running late into the evening -- and rightly so -- it was a private matter.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

That was 2006 wasn't it?

http://irishsalem.com/irish-controversies/crime-in-ireland/worstyear-forkillings-01jan06.php

stats are of course useless for this sort of discussion, one murder can make the per capital rate jump massively a small population.

mike65 wrote: »
    That was 2006 wasn't it?

http://irishsalem.com/irish-controversies/crime-in-ireland/worstyear-forkillings-01jan06.php

stats are of course useless for this sort of discussion, one murder can make the per capital rate jump massively a small population.

Those heady days! We're all lucky to have gotten through the 'terror' of '06.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,643 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

The announced the man on WLRfm at 3.00 news. He lived in spring garden alley and he was a local :(

Edit : Just saw merlante's post

I think you're missing the point. That man who died, died not because he went for a walk along Scotch quay. He died because he knew the wrong people. If the group had been over in his house, instead, we'd be talking about a 'suspicious death' in Spring Garden alley.

Where would you prefer to live? Somewhere where every once in a while somebody gets beaten up on the street, or somewhere where nobody ever gets beaten up on the street but where somebody gets killed by acquaintances behind closed doors? I'd take the safe streets, personally. And there'd want to be a lot more murders and stabbings before I'd be reluctant to recommend an area in which I have never witnessed any violence. There are plenty of housing estates where people haven't been murdered but where gangs roam and occasionally attack people. That is not where I would like to live.

I remember one year Waterford was named 'murder capital' for its murder rate. Did we all stop recommending Waterford as a place to live? (That was for 4 (!) murders in the city and county that year, by the way.)

As far as I'm concerned, these violent incidents are a function of the sort of people the victims hang around with. Until members of the general public start getting preyed upon, beaten up, robbed, etc., I wouldn't hesitate to recommend an area to someone. (You may remember that an individual was beaten to death in the park by a couple of guys with hurleys a few years back. This has stopped neither parents bringing children to the park nor joggers running late into the evening -- and rightly so -- it was a private matter.)

it seems you're missing the point too. These "wrong people" were living in this area. Hence, in my opinion, it's not a grand place to live.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I think you're missing the point. That man who died, died not because he went for a walk along Scotch quay. He died because he knew the wrong people.

As far as I'm concerned, these violent incidents are a function of the sort of people the victims hang around with.

Tell that to Shane Geoghegan.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement