Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two arrested following discovery of body

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

wsopchamp wrote: »
    stats might well back up your point and i would not argue the fact that certain ares of all cities have there troublesome parts,
    my point was that crime can (and does)happen in all regions ..it probably does happen in Michael st more than in Lower Newtown.... but crime does happen in lower Newtown the same as it happens in other "poshish " areas.
    And i have just come from the lower Newtown area within the last hour and i didnt see 1 door left open..so obviously the residents of that area dont share your views;)

Statistically speaking, certain 'indicators' (where you live, education, who you associate with, job, etc.) can 'predict' the likelihood of somebody being in a certain category (i.e. murderous scumbag). There are two questions with such indicators: 1) How good are they at prediction compared to other potential indicators? 2) is it ethical to make inferences based on certain indicators, e.g. skin colour or gender. In the case of violent crimes, you'd probably find that indicators that home in on personal factors and relationships are more accurate than location alone. This is because, although location may have predictive value, the existence of law abiding, decent people in the area population skew the figures. It's also not very fair to tar everyone from an area with the same brush.

There are certain very bad areas where "ordinary decent people" may be at a premium, and in these cases location may be a very good predictor. (Don't think Scotch quay is one of these areas by any stretch of the imagination.) Still, I would be prefer, and I suspects the gardai would agree, to use a map of the social network of criminals and associates to make predictions, rather than area. Particularly when some very nasty and successful criminals can afford to live in very nice and plush areas!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Damien Tiernandamienrte

Man in court in waterford in 10 mins in relation to fatal assault in waterford night before last

47 year old Pat Keating, Moyne House, Grattan Quay Waterford charged with assault causing serious harm in relation to incident Monday nite

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Mod Note

As this is now an ongoing court case, we have no choice but to close this topic as per Boards.ie Policy (not a policy myself or the mods decided before people get touchy!).

Sorry!

Topic Closed

EDIT: On reviewing the whole thread, unrelated speculative posts have been removed. I think the line was crossed with the type of speculation that I removed.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

gobo99 wrote: »
    Is it a boards.ie policy now that people can speculate wildly in situations like this, I always thought at least a link might be required before declaring someone dead. Or maybe it's just the unfortunate few without homes that this doesn't apply to.

Since you seem to know Boards.ie Policy so well, you should also know that if you have a problem with a post you can report it and let the mods deal with it. We are not online 24/7 and we do not read every single thread. This is my first time reading this thread, and it was because of a reported post.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement