Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three Gang Dimmer Switch (Hall Stairs Landing) 250 Watt or 400 Watt

Options
  • 24-04-2012 9:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭

I want to replace my standard 3 gang on/off switches with a 3 gang dimmer
    The 3 Gang Control also controls the Upstairs light also. (there is also an upstairs light switch too which is connected to the down stairs switch also). I guess i need to make the upstairs landing fitting a dimmer also, seeing as its connected to a downstairs Dimmer?

Also I have the option on the web site of 250 or 400 Watt, Which would suit your regular house?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

I want to replace my standard 3 gang on/off switches with a 3 gang dimmer
    The 3 Gang Control also controls the Upstairs light also. (there is also an upstairs light switch too which is connected to the down stairs switch also). I guess i need to make the upstairs landing fitting a dimmer also, seeing as its connected to a downstairs Dimmer?

Also I have the option on the web site of 250 or 400 Watt, Which would suit your regular house?

The upstairs switch will be left as is, once the dimmer is a 2 way one.

The dimmer will likely only work with tungsten filament bulbs, and not low wattage CFL ones. A 250w one should be fine if its just single bulbs your dimming.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭johnwest288

robbie7730 wrote: »
    The upstairs switch will be left as is, once the dimmer is a 2 way one.

The dimmer will likely only work with tungsten filament bulbs, and not low wattage CFL ones. A 250w one should be fine if its just single bulbs your dimming.

Cheers Robbie

I hate the new big Low watt bulbs, The light fittings i have are a 3 bulb chandalier hall way and a 3 bulb chandalier top landing. They take candle bulbs. The low wat ones look awful in it :( As the candle bulbs kinda look like candles in the light fitting if you get me.
    I think the tungsten filament bulbs are being phased out soon so i better stock up!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Cheers Robbie

I hate the new big Low watt bulbs, The light fittings i have are a 3 bulb chandalier hall way and a 3 bulb chandalier top landing. They take candle bulbs. The low wat ones look awful in it :( As the candle bulbs kinda look like candles in the light fitting if you get me.
    I think the tungsten filament bulbs are being phased out soon so i better stock up!.

Yea it should work fine with them. The 250 watt size will do once the combined total of the 3 bulbs in each fitting is less than 250 watt. Each actual dimmer switch would have a 250 watt limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

The newer halogen type are legal I think. And very similar to the old tungsten type. And slightly more energy efficient too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Max_Charger

Cheers Robbie

You can get decorative style cfl bulbs from a brand called "megaman" that our wholesaler stock which have 7Watt candle type cfl's, heres a link to what they look like http://www.megamanuk.com/products/cfl/9/decorative
    I'd imagine any decent electrical wholesaler would stock them. They're around the €8 mark per bulb.

• Advertisement

You can get decorative style cfl bulbs from a brand called "megaman" that our wholesaler stock which have 7Watt candle type cfl's, heres a link to what they look like http://www.megamanuk.com/products/cfl/9/decorative
    I'd imagine any decent electrical wholesaler would stock them. They're around the €8 mark per bulb.

Cheers lads, Are they dimmable? I only do dimmable lol ;) Vampire ya see :o

Looking through the specs it doesnt mention if they can be dimmed / attached to a dimmer switch. I know before I put an energy saving bulb on a dimmer it went all flickery and weird

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Max_Charger

Cheers lads, Are they dimmable? I only do dimmable lol ;) Vampire ya see :o

Looking through the specs it doesnt mention if they can be dimmed / attached to a dimmer switch. I know before I put an energy saving bulb on a dimmer it went all flickery and weird

You can indeed get them in dimmable form, but as you'd expect the price goes from €8 for the non dimmable to around the €15 for the dimmable ones. Not cheap.

You can indeed get them in dimmable form, but as you'd expect the price goes from €8 for the non dimmable to around the €15 for the dimmable ones. Not cheap.

If they perform like dimmable bulbs would pay the extra no problem :D
    I reckon because they are energy saving you may not get how would i put it the range (band) of light dimming as you would from the standard tungsten bulb. Ill check it out thou, thanks for all that info lads much appreciaited !;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

I'm not sure if Megaman do clear candle CFL bulbs that look good in chandeliers.
    Any of the ones I've seen are white in colour and look terrible in a glass chandelier.

Advertisement