Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keep it local - lets help each other

• 24-04-2012 9:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭

Hope the mods think it is ok posting this here but my idea is to have a thread where fella boardsies from Limerick can help each other out

eg I might need a mechanic I post in this thread and if there is any mechanic reading or a friend of a mechanic then he has a chance of getting some buisness etc

Would like to see what other people think as in these hard times it be nice to keep things local and give some buisness where we can especially to struggling companies or people

I am willing to start it off I am getting married on Nov 29th and am currently looking for a videographer so if anybody knows someone or any videographer out there get in touch via PM

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

i've seen a few of these threads started in other regional forums in the past campo and i think while the intentions are good, the mods would quickly lock it because there were all sorts of issues surrounding things like uninsured handypeople chancing their arm, slanderous accusations of shoddy workmanship from posters that were unhappy with the job done, etc, oh and shilling was another- people just using these threads to advertise their own business or advertising a relatives business. it all got very messy very quickly anyway.

the idea while its nice in theory, in practice it quickly turns very messy... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

xsiborg wrote: »
    i've seen a few of these threads started in other regional forums in the past campo and i think while the intentions are good, the mods would quickly lock it because there were all sorts of issues surrounding things like uninsured handypeople chancing their arm, slanderous accusations of shoddy workmanship from posters that were unhappy with the job done, etc, oh and shilling was another- people just using these threads to advertise their own business or advertising a relatives business. it all got very messy very quickly anyway.

the idea while its nice in theory, in practice it quickly turns very messy... :(

That be a shame I dont think anyone should be allowed advertise be more like as I said above is someone has a job need doing they might post in thread, I see where you are coming from regards cowboys etc but personally I would never book someone just because I saw it in boards I would research them 1st but give them the first option if I heard good feedback etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Thinking about the purpose of this thread it seems that people should only respond to a query looking for work within a specified period of time.

If somebody asks for a plasterer for their house then they should expect a reasonably quick reply. You shouldn't have a tradesman spot this 6 months later and throw his hat in the ring because nobody would be waiting here 6 months for a reply and the job is no doubt GONE.

1 suggested Rule:

"If the request is ONE month old then do not reply"

There should be no issue with people saying "Oh my brother is a plasterer" because the person was looking for a plasterer.

I'm personally looking for somebody to build a wall, plaster it and plaster three other boundary walls so lets see what happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

campo wrote: »
    Hope the mods think it is ok posting this here but my idea is to have a thread where fella boardsies from Limerick can help each other out

eg I might need a mechanic I post in this thread and if there is any mechanic reading or a friend of a mechanic then he has a chance of getting some buisness etc

Would like to see what other people think as in these hard times it be nice to keep things local and give some buisness where we can especially to struggling companies or people

I am willing to start it off I am getting married on Nov 29th and am currently looking for a videographer so if anybody knows someone or any videographer out there get in touch via PM

I know someone just for yeh Campo! Try Rory O'Donnovan https://www.facebook.com/ODonovanProductions Top class! Or else, Lette Moloney does photography and videography: http://moloneyphoto.com/

The Snipe wrote: »
    I know someone just for yeh Campo! Try Rory O'Donnovan https://www.facebook.com/ODonovanProductions Top class! Or else, Lette Moloney does photography and videography: http://moloneyphoto.com/

@ Snipe cheers I will check both of them out and hopefully will book one of them and report back

@Beer Baron thanks for posting and I actually had a wall built and plastered etc recently and he did a great job and rates were pretty good I will pm you his details

@Mods Suppose be a but much to ask to maybe sticky this thread so it wont get lost but I may as well be cheeky and ask any chance it could be stickied as it might turn out to be beneficial to a lot of users ( it also may turn out to be tripe ) But in this financial meltdown we are in be nice if we could help each other out where we can

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I'll talk to Clareman and The Drifter about this and get back to ye.

At the moment I'm leaning towards the idea of using the thread for requests, with recommendations/contact to be made via PM. Beer Baron's idea of putting a time restriction on replies is a good one too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

How bout only people over so many posts and use here regular can offer or suggest?

I'd say, let people recommend publically, as it could save the same question being asked twice! :)

Edit: Also agree with Pink.

Can anyone recommend a local company that does wedding invites

Polly Print on Catherine Street are very good, as are KBM (Think thats the name) on the Top of Roaches St. Its the one on the corner with the rainbow kinda coloured Sign, next to the large printers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,762 ✭✭✭DaveNoCheese

Does anybody know a shop that buys used routers and other electronic items?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

keeping local is a great idea until you realise that locals will just as easily rip you off. if i ever need anything i always look for the cheapest option be it local or foreign.

thats why i get annoyed when people bith that the government use intentional vendors for operations such as road repairs or track repairs or any infrustructure. at the end of the day the governments job is to spend as little as possible to keep the country running. this whole "keep local" menality is flawed by local greed. sometimes you have to realise that locals dont make money for a reason.................. they are over charging!!!

for instance a can of coke.

i know of at least 10 shops off the top of my head where you can get a can of coke for either 50 cent or 2 for a euro. but in the same vein i know of a lot of similarly local(not chain shops by the way) that will charge 1.10 for a can of coke. i know it sounds silly but if your prices ar more expensive then there is a reason your not getting customers and i dont feel sorry for you. especially when a shop has very little area competition they will take advantag of customers that cant travel far(older people for example). shop owners like this deserve no help

Local stores like that don't get the same prices you see, using a can of coke is a bad example, because they buy all them per slab in Musgraves and the likes, rather then large chains who buy direct and buy in massive ammounts thus getting larger discounts. Economy of scale my friend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

Icky Thump wrote: »
    keeping local is a great idea until you realise that locals will just as easily rip you off. if i ever need anything i always look for the cheapest option be it local or foreign.

thats why i get annoyed when people bith that the government use intentional vendors for operations such as road repairs or track repairs or any infrustructure. at the end of the day the governments job is to spend as little as possible to keep the country running. this whole "keep local" menality is flawed by local greed. sometimes you have to realise that locals dont make money for a reason.................. they are over charging!!!

for instance a can of coke.

i know of at least 10 shops off the top of my head where you can get a can of coke for either 50 cent or 2 for a euro. but in the same vein i know of a lot of similarly local(not chain shops by the way) that will charge 1.10 for a can of coke. i know it sounds silly but if your prices ar more expensive then there is a reason your not getting customers and i dont feel sorry for you. especially when a shop has very little area competition they will take advantag of customers that cant travel far(older people for example). shop owners like this deserve no help

i was with you right up until you said the government uses international contractors because its cheaper and this is the governments job, etc.

not only is it WAY off topic, but these are the same ministers charged with creating jobs in ireland, not in europe, in ireland. these are also the same government ministers who time and time again have displayed cronyism of the highest order, still pocketing the brown envelopes from contractors who charge the government huge money for contracts that go ridiculously over budget. but for a long time the government didnt give a crap because the money wasnt coming out of their pockets. now the troika has come calling at the door and asked just what HAS all the EU infrastructure grants paid out over the years been spent on. and the answer is- not a whole lot!

me personally i'd sooner the idea of keeping our economy local and getting back on our own feet by helping each other out, rather than waiting on our hands for the government to provide any sort of coherent solution.

i too was skeptical of a thread like this at first, but there has been some great input from other posters and i now see that something like this might just work, and become a valuable resource in the Limerick forum.

you'd do well too Icky to remember that cheaper isnt always better value, and a lot of the time- cheaper means inferior quality and shoddy workmanship!

at least with a thread like this, people will be able to recommend a service, and leave it up to the poster in question to make an informed decision at least, as opposed to getting fleeced by a random cowboy who turned up in google search results for 'cheapest <insert trade or service here> in Limerick'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Can anyone recommend a local company that does wedding invites

Cube Printing - they have a very big catalogue full of them and if you have your own ideas, they have graphic design artists that can create them for you.

Probably a strange one but making a request on behalf of a friend who is looking for a fully licensed bus driver to drive a double decker bus that she has purchased.

any one interested please PM and I can give some more details

The Snipe wrote: »
    Polly Print on Catherine Street are very good, as are KBM (Think thats the name) on the Top of Roaches St. Its the one on the corner with the rainbow kinda coloured Sign, next to the large printers.

Thanks to Snipe I visited NMB on Roaches Street last weekend and they had a great selection of invites,

Ordered from them and would recommend also as they are of high standard and good value

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭DOBBER112

Panel Beater / Car Repair Service required!

Bagged myself a nice Passat but need some small damage to the wheel arch over passenger back door repaired.

Any recommendations?

DOBBER112 wrote: »
    Panel Beater / Car Repair Service required!

Bagged myself a nice Passat but need some small damage to the wheel arch over passenger back door repaired.

Any recommendations?

could not recomend below high enough has done 2 jobs now for me and each time has done a great job at a good price and clean

Keith O'Brien Crash Repairs Keith O'Brien Eastlink Business Park Ballysimon Rd 061-423810, 087-2499149

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭DOBBER112

could not recomend below high enough has done 2 jobs now for me and each time has done a great job at a good price and clean

Keith O'Brien Crash Repairs Keith O'Brien Eastlink Business Park Ballysimon Rd 061-423810, 087-2499149

Will definitely get a quote thanks! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Lee1981

Anyone know a good cheap local electrician they would recommend in Limerick? Work is not too major or anything but I have a party bus with a few items that will need to be powered by a generator that I got. Instead of having extension leads from that to a party bus I want to set the bus up with a few sockets as it is a double decker. I know I would probably need a small fuse box too.

Just looking for someone who knows what theyre doing but easy on the pocket.

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

Quad LNB has fallen off my sat dish, know anyone that would have a look for me, repair only, can't afford a new rig at the mo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

acalmenvoy wrote: »
    Quad LNB has fallen off my sat dish, know anyone that would have a look for me, repair only, can't afford a new rig at the mo.

There is a guy on here called Steveon who should be able to sort you out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Can anyone recommend a good electrics mechanic in Limerick? Might need to be a mobile one. Problem with the speakers in herself's car. Cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

leakyboots wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a good electrics mechanic in Limerick? Might need to be a mobile one. Problem with the speakers in herself's car. Cheers!

Des Kennedy down from the Markets Field. You will probably have to drive it to him though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Been to Des before, electric aren't really his thing. Got a number for a Mel Kennedy (Des' brother?) in Thomondgate but the lads are saying he's not great. Cheers though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I need a nice car for a wedding in early August, to drive the bride and the groom to the hotel, it can be either vintage or a new enough Merc, BMW etc. must be unusual enough, Audi A8 for example would be great. Oh and it's on a tight budget so cheap as possible can anyone recommend someone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Diamond Limos in Raheen are very affordable. Give them a call

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

leakyboots wrote: »

Try Carcom on Henry street. 061- 417333

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Could anyone recommend a local waste collection service for a one-off collection? We're stockpiling rubbish at this stage, and just need to clear it.

Advertisement