Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Conmen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭s.c

http://aca.ninemsn.com.au/video/?uuid=f75c9259-772f-41f5-a1b3-534650a4bad5

Also on Today Tonight

Great news for Irish people everywhere

I was a bit annoyed that there was no comments section on that link. Dispite the fact that there is a strong possibility that these people are Irish "travellers", they have not shown anything to indicat that they are in fact Irish. Not even an Irish accent to be heard anywhere..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

s.c wrote: »
    I was a bit annoyed that there was no comments section on that link. Dispite the fact that there is a strong possibility that these people are Irish "travellers", they have not shown anything to indicat that they are in fact Irish. Not even an Irish accent to be heard anywhere..
    Some might think you were implying that all irish travelers were conmen.

catbear wrote: »
    Some might think you were implying that all irish travelers were conmen.

How exactly did you come to that conclusion?

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

Australian friends of mine have been telling me for a good while now that since around 2009 the attitude in the big cities from people living near large backpacker or Irish areas has really changed to a negative outlook towards the Irish.
    Before it used to be tolerated the drunken shenanigans but now they are fed up of it and taint all the Irish who come down as the same because of a few fools.
    Stories like the OP don't help but it's inevitable with so many Irish in Oz to get a few conmen and idiots,unfortunately it makes good news for channels 9 or 7 and their hack reporters.

Sappa wrote: »
    Australian friends of mine have been telling me for a good while now that since around 2009 the attitude in the big cities from people living near large backpacker or Irish areas has really changed to a negative outlook towards the Irish.
    Before it used to be tolerated the drunken shenanigans but now they are fed up of it and taint all the Irish who come down as the same because of a few fools.
    Stories like the OP don't help but it's inevitable with so many Irish in Oz to get a few conmen and idiots,unfortunately it makes good news for channels 9 or 7 and their hack reporters.

I was under the impression that the feature was about Irish "travellers" as in "from the travelling community". I have never heard of Irish backpakers called Iriah travellers over here and I know there are many members of the Irish travelling community after coming to Australia in recent years. Many of these people have been involved in well documented activities such as selling faulty powerwashers and generators out of hiace vans in the north and west of the country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Guys, if they are Irish travellers, how the heck are they getting visas? Or are they coming in on holiday visas? They are illegal right?

seachto7 wrote: »
    Guys, if they are Irish travellers, how the heck are they getting visas? Or are they coming in on holiday visas? They are illegal right?
    They are entitled to get the whv as all the rest as long as they meet the criteria,there Irish citizens after all not Irish traveler on their passport.
    The story is about Irish people,we know they are travelers but to the ozzies majority wouldn't know the difference or have a clue about what they get up to here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Tom Cruise

So sending our criminals over to OZ is wrong now.
    We should send the rest over perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/irish-nationals-arrested-in-sydney-visa-bust-20111014-1lnpp.html

http://www.irishecho.com.au/2009/12/16/rogue-irish-travellers-face-jail-if-they-return-to-oz/1393

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

Tom Cruise wrote: »
    So sending our criminals over to OZ is wrong now.

This is all news to me:eek:
    shur we are sending them there with hundereds of years

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

These guys are scum they prey on the weak in their own homes. As crap as the reporting is at least the message not to deal with them is constant.

They are entitled to get the whv as all the rest as long as they meet the criteria,there Irish citizens after all not Irish traveler on their passport.
    The story is about Irish people,we know they are travelers but to the ozzies majority wouldn't know the difference or have a clue about what they get up to here.

They are entitled to lots of things alright........:mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Projectiles for one

Unfortunately entitled they are but deserving off is another discussion.
    I hate seeing them tarnishing the name of hard working Irish people but they are the first ones to scream discrimination if anyone rules against them and unfortunately they can pick and choose there targets internationally as a result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I think a bunch of them met their match in New Zealand when they rumbled with Maori. Can't find a link but I think it was in 08/09.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

99.9% of Australians would know what a Traveler is and even less what they look/dress/talk like, so sad to say that you are all going to be be heaped in as all the same on this one, I cant seem to watch the link (either its on a regional player, a Firefox thing or my stone age "Broadband") but i can imagine if its on ACA its not going to be pretty to watch, just like anything that try to pass as journalism to the mindless masses.

Well I saw a few of them in Sydney last time, and they would stick out a mile. I dunno if it was the bowl haircuts and freckles or the slip on black shoes, white socks and bermuda shorts that gave it away..........

Well I saw a few of them in Sydney last time, and they would stick out a mile. I dunno if it was the bowl haircuts and freckles or the slip on black shoes, white socks and bermuda shorts that gave it away..........
    Could be any day in county Bondi

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

• Advertisement

What about this non biased facebook page?

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Operator

I'v seen it all now, the knacks are even rippin off people in Australia! The only "cultural minority" to have well and truly beaten the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

That's Australians for you - they are referred to as "rogue irishmen" and not just "rogues" - does it matter where they are from, a tea leaf is a tea leaf, end of. They always have to play the nationality card. It's an inferiority complex that Australia has.

vicwatson wrote: »
    That's Australians for you - they are referred to as "rogue irishmen" and not just "rogues" - does it matter where they are from, a tea leaf is a tea leaf, end of. They always have to play the nationality card. It's an inferiority complex that Australia has.

I wouldn't go that far. At least I know I would need to beware of an Irishman coming to door selling generators over an Aussie, who could well rip you off too, but how many Irish guys will be selling generators in Australia?

I wonder does it count to their second WHV? how are these guys setting up shop, renting place etc. Where are they getting the generators from? The article said they were bought in Europe? No way they could have brought them into Australia..........

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Irish "travellers", why am I not surprised!

They came down my street wanting to charge me for spray painting the house number on the gutter.

Told me that the council had authorised them to do the job and that I "HAD" to pay.

Told them to hang on while I got some cash.

Phoned police to report extorsion, police arrived shortly after while they were trying to get money from neighbours, and they tried to bolt down the street in their car, only to find that the street was a circut and they had to come back out past my place.

Police just sat in their car and waited till they came back round then forced their car into the gutter and arrested them.

I stood there with the neighbours pissing ourselves laughing.

Fking idiots!

vicwatson wrote: »

In fairness maybe it's because they have Irish accents or even Irish passports, it's a bit like the Nigerian email scam in Ireland is known as the Nigerian Email scam as opposed to your regular email scam.

I love the way there is no "formal speak" on Australian tv. Yer man calls them Pikeys in one, and I love the way it's "a man got BASHED in the cbd last night" :D:D

One thing from watching the news reports is how f**king naive are Australians!!

They get those generators in by ship container.
    There paying nothing for them and just the cost of the transport down when you pack in enough it's worthwhile.
    People would not believe the amount of stuff being shipped out of Ireland because it's too expensive to recycle.
    90+% of it goes directly to Nigeria through guys here,the stuff disappears in Nigeria and even the container is flogged on as a house.
    All it takes is to reroute the container to Oz as secondhand generators or reconditioned and they are touched up a bit to give them a bit of life for a few hours and sold on.
    They do the very same here with tv's and when you plug them in they come on as fine but do it 3 times the thing gives up but who plugs them in multiple times when testing to buy.

• Advertisement

The generators I posted about above are knock off Hondas. Known as Chondas.

From what I have been told they are somehow imported direct from China.

Ireland was flooded with them at one stage too

Advertisement